DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

My car is broken...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:04 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is broken...

...and it's gonna cost me $2800 to fix it!!!
Ok, here's the list:
driver side seat airbag has malfunctioned and has to be replaced $670.00
the bushings are shot $517.00
the strut mounts are shot $555.00
oil pan gasket and oil pan have to be replaced $470.50
various other problems too numerous to mention $270.00
regular brake, oil, and coolant service $400.00

damn. I am not a happy camper today. I wish I drank...I need something to numb the pain...

Old 01-31-2007, 07:10 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Originally Posted by kgdblu
Ok, here's the list:
Was your car included in that airbag harness recall?
Might be worth looking into.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:22 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Holy bajeezus!

Sorry to hear about that.

With regards to the Strut Towers, is that mushrooming? I think I heard there's a TSB but no recall on that... So you may be able to wiggle your way out of that, if it's true.

Brake, Oil, & coolant service $400? Oil pan $470? I know Paul's not in marathon condition, but isn't this stuff you could do at home for much cheaper? If you need a hand, just let me know. I'll bring what tools I have.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:36 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CmdrVimes
Was your car included in that airbag harness recall?
Might be worth looking into.
no, it's not the harness..that's what I thought when the light went on again.

Originally Posted by Wagnbat
Holy bajeezus!

Sorry to hear about that.

With regards to the Strut Towers, is that mushrooming? I think I heard there's a TSB but no recall on that... So you may be able to wiggle your way out of that, if it's true.

Brake, Oil, & coolant service $400? Oil pan $470? I know Paul's not in marathon condition, but isn't this stuff you could do at home for much cheaper? If you need a hand, just let me know. I'll bring what tools I have.
He doesn't have the time, energy or knowhow..nor do we have the parts. I dunno about mushrooming...he didn't mention that.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:39 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Originally Posted by Wagnbat
My guess is it's actually the mount at the top of the tower. Paul (HAPA) has that issue too, not sure if he's had his replaced yet.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:42 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ouch e wa wa..... that hurts!!! Sorry... maybe some DCMM peeps will help come to the rescue...

Donna

Old 01-31-2007, 08:03 AM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
%&*^*@!%^**&^$%#@$ Ouch!

Old 01-31-2007, 08:04 AM
findude
4th Gear
[quote=kgdblu;1347601]...and it's gonna cost me $2800 to fix it!!!
quote]

Yikes! Now I'm really hoping that some conveniently located independents will rise to the challenge and start specializing in MINI service.

How many miles does your MINI have?

Old 01-31-2007, 08:07 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
LDG does... But I don't know if they do airbags, and her car is likely at Tate which is about 5 mins from her house... So convenience and urgency wise, she'll likely do all the work @ the dealer just to get it done.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:44 AM
FeedBack
5th Gear
I don't have my tools yet (still in Hawaii) or a garage but I'd be willing to provide some labor if some folks want to tackle some of this at a DIY session if KGBLU is so inclined.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:51 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some of these are easy...

Ok, here's the list:
the bushings are shot $517.00
the strut mounts are shot $555.00
oil pan gasket and oil pan have to be replaced $470.50
various other problems too numerous to mention $270.00

damn. I am not a happy camper today. I wish I drank...I need something to numb the pain...
The airbag I'd let the dealer or a shop do.
The bushings are a pain, special tools needed. Shop.
Strut mounts are EASY. Get the parts from Classic (20% NAM discount). Take the wheel off, and it's 5 fasteners to get the strut out. If you don't have a spring compressor you can rent one, or use ratcheting tie downs (I did that once in a pinch).
Oil pan and gasket is a driveway job, but I haven't done this one.
The brake work is a rip off. Oil and filter should be about $40. If they're adding pads you might get to a couple hundred for the brakes, you can do it for less, and pads are an easy swap. If you need rotors they're an easy swap as well.

As usual, comes down to expensive convienience or inexpensive work and hassle....

Good luck...

Matt

Old 01-31-2007, 09:10 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
I replaced my rear pads/rotors in my driveway a couple weekends ago. It's a really simple job. If someone has a place we could gather and I could show people how easy it really is. Obviously I'm not paying for the parts, but I could provide the labor.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:10 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd certainly do your brakes and rotors if ya wanted... free for ex-presidents Done both including on MINI's

Edit: Concurrent posting...

Old 01-31-2007, 09:37 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Thanks all. I appreciate the offers of help
There is some good news...I went to Tate to talk to them about the work. I spoke to the guy (Sam)who's gonna work on the car and he explained everything to me in a much clearer way than the SA did. Long and short of it..Tate is absorbing the cost of the airbag..so that's a nearly $700 savings right there. I can understand the other repairs, but to have a part just go kerflooie in an airbag isn't normal. They agreed.
Apparently the sensor for the pyroteknic that deploys the airbag was busted, so the whole thing has to be replaced.
The rest is just wear and tear on the car. I only have 52,700 miles on the car, but I drive it very hard on a daily basis.
Will's right...I live so close to Tate (5mins. from my house vs. 45 mins to LDG), that I'm paying for the convenience. My choice.

Oh, did I mention our furnace died last night? Not a good day. I really wish I liked alcohol, at this point....

oh well...another day, another gazillion dollars that has to be spent. pahtooie.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:55 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Hmm. My furnace bad too. Filling garage with smoke so thick I've had to keep MINI OUTSIDE at night! New funrace arrives / installs Friday.

Seriously, if the brakes aren't shot but just worn and need doin soon rather than instantly I'd be glad to do em. We could make a watch it done class even for those interested.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:30 AM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
This doesn't sound like a good day for you Katie. I am sorry!But at least Sam is taking care of your baby! He is the ONLY guy at Tate that we let touch Soulfire, so you are in good hands there.
Yikes, I wish I new something about fixing cars to help you out. But alas I only can work on fixing pregnancies...

Old 01-31-2007, 01:13 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
well, the 15 year old furnace is broken beyond repair...great, just great.
So, new furnace for just under 3 grand...and they can't do it til Monday. That means no heat for the majority of the house 'til then(addition has it's own furnace, but it can't heat the entire house).
So, I have a huge fire going in the fireplace...good thing we have tons of wood. I just threw another blanket on the bed, which I might not get out of tomorrow the way my luck is going...
Ok...so, bad things come in 3s....busted car, busted furnace. I shudder to think what'll happen next.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:22 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
well, the 15 year old furnace is broken beyond repair...great, just great.
So, new furnace for just under 3 grand...and they can't do it til Monday. That means no heat for the majority of the house 'til then(addition has it's own furnace, but it can't heat the entire house).
So, I have a huge fire going in the fireplace...good thing we have tons of wood. I just threw another blanket on the bed, which I might not get out of tomorrow the way my luck is going...
Ok...so, bad things come in 3s....busted car, busted furnace. I shudder to think what'll happen next.
Katie, I really feel for you. I know ALL about furnace replacements.

Question. What kind of heat you got? Gas, oil, elect. Is it a heat pump and inside furnace. I ask because all NEW heat pumps/furnace require high efficiency units together. (either gas or electric) meaning BOTH have to be replaced ... more like $8K

As to the car. Well, I would serious consider if its worth fixing it. I know nobody wants to hear that but throwing $2K into the car ... whats going to break the next 20K miles ... on a 2002.

Its sad The money "experts" will tell you to keep throwing money at the car until its intolerable ... cheaper than buying a new one. But the aggravation is a killer

Sorry about all this.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:40 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
gas heat..no heat pump.
and since I can't bear to part with my car under any circumstance short of winning the lottery, I'll fix it. Considering this is my 1st major repair since I bought it, aside from accident repairs, I guess I'm a little bit lucky.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:42 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
gas heat..no heat pump.
and since I can't bear to part with my car under any circumstance short of winning the lottery, I'll fix it. Considering this is my 1st major repair since I bought it, aside from accident repairs, I guess I'm a little bit lucky.
Gas heat ... you lucked out ... be glad its not a heat pump.

Well, fiscally, the right thing to do IS to fix it and keep it until the wheels fall off Best of Luck

Old 01-31-2007, 01:47 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this, Katie. If my garage was in working order, I'd help you out. Problem I am having now is I have four vehiicles among the home fleet needing attention, and I went so far as to have a buddy of mine do the repairs on one of them, which is a first. And, to top it off, you guessed it, my heat pump bit the dust last week. We are in the same boat it seems! I guess we can pass the time rearranging deck chairs...

Old 01-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CmdrVimes
I replaced my rear pads/rotors in my driveway a couple weekends ago. It's a really simple job. If someone has a place we could gather and I could show people how easy it really is. Obviously I'm not paying for the parts, but I could provide the labor.
Originally Posted by mmatarella
Hmm. My furnace bad too. Filling garage with smoke so thick I've had to keep MINI OUTSIDE at night! New funrace arrives / installs Friday.

Seriously, if the brakes aren't shot but just worn and need doin soon rather than instantly I'd be glad to do em. We could make a watch it done class even for those interested.
I'd be very interested in having a DIY session on brakes I do a lot of the work on my car myself, but brakes is one area I haven't done. This would be excellent learning for everyone. Maybe even save some folks some money down the road.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:13 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
um, guys...brakes are ok...see 1st post.

well, bad things come in 3s... car, furnace annnnd.....I just broke a nail. That's #3.
At least I know why it's been such an el crapola day...it's a full moon tonight. ooga booga
Have some good news tho'...my nephew, Wylie, is gonna be on "Top Chef" tonight. Bravo channel at 10 PM.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:18 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Since misery loves company Katie, fyi my furnace quit for good overnight...

Old 02-01-2007, 08:33 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
bummer Mark...and kinda eerie too. We're getting a new furnace tomorrow. Good thing too, since temps are going to plummet next week.

Quick Reply: My car is broken...