Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Black Wow Trim Cards

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007 | 11:40 AM
OctaneGuy
|
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Black Wow Trim Cards

I just wanted to give a heads up that in the near future--as in probably about a week or so, once my cards come back from the printer--I'll be including in all Black Wow orders my Trim Masking Cards. These are essentially 4x6 post cards that can be used to help prevent getting BW on the paint when doing your arches or trim areas. They will be included in all future BW orders.

Some of you may have received my "mockup" cards with just a sticker on it that says Trim Card, but these will be official cards now.

The curve can be cut with scissors to conform to the R53/R56 arches to make masking even easier.

A big thanks to Chuck (MINIMaybee) for the inspiration at MITM this past year.

Richard

Old 11-19-2007 | 11:55 AM
lotsie
Banned
Great.

Mark

Old 11-19-2007 | 01:08 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Brilliant! That Maybee is one crafty dude... wish I had thought of this before I BW'ed yesterday (requiring my typical remove-BW-from-the-paint routine)...

Old 11-20-2007 | 10:28 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
shows how some people don't have a steady hand.

is that card made out of MF? would it swirl the paint?

Old 11-20-2007 | 10:48 AM
kris.sherry
2nd Gear
I haven't BWed the car yet. What happens if that stuff gets on the paint? What are the techniques to get it off? And how do I get my hands on one of those nifty cards?

Old 11-20-2007 | 10:57 AM
OctaneGuy
|
Hmm, I thought I included one (temporary card) in your kit. It was just a 4x6 card with a sticker on it that said Trim Card. It won't harm the paint, but if you get it on the paint, it just takes a lot of wipes to get it off, since it tends to push around rather than wipe off--that's why it lasts a long time on the plastic.

Easiest not to get it on the paint in the first place. Watch my application video if you haven't already---www.black-wow.com

Apply pea or sesame sized dabs and spread it out as far as it will go. After you've applied the BW, wipe it with another clean towel to remove the shine and excess.

I can drop one in the mail when they arrive--they are supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

Richard

Originally Posted by kris.sherry
I haven't BWed the car yet. What happens if that stuff gets on the paint? What are the techniques to get it off? And how do I get my hands on one of those nifty cards?

Old 11-20-2007 | 12:17 PM
kris.sherry
2nd Gear
I will check the package, but I didn't see a card. As for "another clean towel" should I use a cheaper MF towel or just a cheapo "crap towel" (this is what I call the spill/clean up towels) that doesn't matter? Also, the applicator that came in the bundle...do I reuse that (but make sure to only use it for BW?) or its a one time use thing? Same question for Epic. I would assume its a one time use thing, but I am new to this stuff so let me know.

As for the gallon of Mystique....are you going to be at your shop this friday? I will be up in LA for turkey day thursday and I will be hopin down to SD on friday morning. this way I can stop by and say hi and maybe pick up a gallon.

Any tips on getting pics directly onto a post?

kris

Old 11-20-2007 | 12:29 PM
OctaneGuy
|
The card looks like a promo card--will either be for VacuCam or MINIniM detailing--or MotoringPhotography.

re: Applicators
definitely reusable--dedicate a pad per product.

re: clean towels
I've got some old Costco microfibers--they don't touch my paint--wheels and interior only.

re: Gallon
I was debating about whether I should be around or not---if you're in the area, I could meet you at the shop. I've got gallons of Mystique, Hydro, and Slick, FYI.

re: photos
You need to host your pictures on an image hosting service if you don't put them in the NAM gallery. I use Flickr.com but there are others as well. Once they are uploaded, you can find the URL to see that picture on the web. On a PC, that would be a right click on the picture and click Properties, or with Firefox just right click and Copy Image Location. Then paste that into the Forum tags--the IMG and /IMG tags in brackets.

Richard

I will check the package, but I didn't see a card. As for "another clean towel" should I use a cheaper MF towel or just a cheapo "crap towel" (this is what I call the spill/clean up towels) that doesn't matter? Also, the applicator that came in the bundle...do I reuse that (but make sure to only use it for BW?) or its a one time use thing? Same question for Epic. I would assume its a one time use thing, but I am new to this stuff so let me know.

As for the gallon of Mystique....are you going to be at your shop this friday? I will be up in LA for turkey day thursday and I will be hopin down to SD on friday morning. this way I can stop by and say hi and maybe pick up a gallon.

Any tips on getting pics directly onto a post?

kris

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 11-20-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2007 | 12:32 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
as far as the excess removal towel, use your regular detailing towel
with some QD. that's probably the best way to go cause it not only
removes the excess, it removes most of the static with it.

now if you use idaho potato sized beads like some people that complain
about streaks and smears (LOL! ) you are out of luck. for those
people, you must now remove by licking.

Old 11-20-2007 | 12:47 PM
OctaneGuy
|
Oh man, I just realized I was replying to the Black Wow thread--for those excess towels--you can use any microfiber towel--just gently wipe it and use some QD. If you don't have the card--use anything. Minimaybee actually showed me with a paper plate--so whatever you can find that will act as a barrier will work--nothing special about these 4x6 cards.

Richard

Old 11-20-2007 | 01:16 PM
kris.sherry
2nd Gear
ok sorry I can't figure it out...QD is?

Old 11-20-2007 | 01:18 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
ok sorry I can't figure it out...QD is?
quick detailer spray.

ie: QuikDetailer/Slick/SpeedShine

Old 11-20-2007 | 02:54 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
This time I used the Scott "Rags in a Box" super heavy/thick/thirsty paper towels - they're expensive, but they rock - and they do a very good job of soaking up the excess BW and removing any grime/gunk along with it- and you can tell when they're clean and when they're not - and they're disposable... and they don't fall apart like regular paper towels, and don't lint as much.

Old 11-20-2007 | 02:59 PM
twin scroll
2nd Gear
Hey Octane is the card available in CARBON FIBER ? Just kidding lol
Black WOW is an awesome product I need more!

Old 11-20-2007 | 09:19 PM
kris.sherry
2nd Gear
Richard don't worry about coming in on friday. I figure we have 6 more oz and that will last until xmas time perhaps. I don't want to make you meet me...I'll try to get you on a weekend when you are in.

Next wash I will BW the trim and see how it works. I'm expecting great things!

Old 11-21-2007 | 08:46 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
um ... Richard, I've patented the "Paint-Barrier Black Wow Application Technique" (US Pat 209,776,122). I'm afraid I am going to have to ask for some kind of royalty or licensing fee.

Steady hand? I do brain-surgery as a hobby so I think my hand is somewhat steady.

Oh and OctaneGuy I went to www.showcardetailing.com to look for your new one-grip for the PC with no luck. Any update as to when this new product will show up?

Old 11-21-2007 | 10:51 AM
OctaneGuy
|
Oh yeah I saw you there this morning....sorry, it should be up by now. Strange I put them up last night....
Ok here it is:

https://www.showcardetailing.com/esh...d=30&cat=Tools

re: Patent
Hahahaha

Originally Posted by MiniMaybee
um ... Richard, I've patented the "Paint-Barrier Black Wow Application Technique" (US Pat 209,776,122). I'm afraid I am going to have to ask for some kind of royalty or licensing fee.

Steady hand? I do brain-surgery as a hobby so I think my hand is somewhat steady.

Oh and OctaneGuy I went to www.showcardetailing.com to look for your new one-grip for the PC with no luck. Any update as to when this new product will show up?

Old 11-22-2007 | 08:25 AM
OctaneGuy
|
TRIM CARDS ARRIVED YESTERDAY

The Trim Masking Cards arrived yesterday and the first MINI to use them on was Pastabatman who was at the shop slaving away all day on his MINI--from 9:30AM until 7PM--he washed, clayed, polished, and waxed his MINI. I had a customer on vacation from the UK stopped by to buy some BW, so I gave him a demo on Pastabatmans '07 MCS using the new Trim Cards.

Ooops, alright cool thanks!
Richard don't worry about coming in on friday. I figure we have 6 more oz and that will last until xmas time perhaps. I don't want to make you meet me...I'll try to get you on a weekend when you are in.

Next wash I will BW the trim and see how it works. I'm expecting great things!

Old 11-23-2007 | 06:42 AM
Chili Cart
3rd Gear
Hey OctaneGuy can you send me a trim card? I didn't get a mock-up card.Please!

Old 11-23-2007 | 07:38 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
there should be atleast a laminated version for us enthusiasts.

Old 11-23-2007 | 06:13 PM
rockridge
6th Gear
As Ken notes above, a laminated card is good advertising, since it should last for months.

BTW, I received the mock card with my order, and thought "cool" simple reuse of a potential waste product.

Old 11-23-2007 | 06:15 PM
rockridge
6th Gear
Wow, I just saw that I posted my 500th post. Another 21,580 and I will catch up with Ken....

Old 11-23-2007 | 07:33 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
^^ imagine the free advertisement im doing.

Old 11-23-2007 | 08:52 PM
OctaneGuy
|
The laminated card is a good idea. I'll keep that in mind. I got the cards UV coated on both sides for some protection (so they are glossy on both sides). I'm not so sure how it would last if you cut the curve out once laminated--not sure if it will still stay laminated. Will have to run some tests I guess.

Originally Posted by kenchan
there should be atleast a laminated version for us enthusiasts.
Yes, I don't think I was doing the cards at that time. I will get one out to you on Monday.

Originally Posted by Chili Cart
Hey OctaneGuy can you send me a trim card? I didn't get a mock-up card.Please!

Old 11-24-2007 | 06:22 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
The laminated card is a good idea. I'll keep that in mind. I got the cards UV coated on both sides for some protection (so they are glossy on both sides). I'm not so sure how it would last if you cut the curve out once laminated--not sure if it will still stay laminated. Will have to run some tests I guess.
if it's glossy it might be enough. meaning, if the card is getting soaked
in BW so much that it damages the card, obviously the user is using potato
sized units.

Quick Reply: Black Wow Trim Cards