Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

AutoXCooper-Carbotech Brake Pad Dust Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:47 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AutoXCooper-Carbotech Brake Pad Dust Test

Hello to all of my Detailing Friends,

One of the questions I'm asked about Carbotech pads is how dusty are they to run on a daily driver. We know they are better then OEM and most other aftermarket pads, but let's just see how much better.

Getting ready for this season of AutoX and MOTD this week I installed New TSW Rotors and Carbotech Bobcat pads.

Below is a pic of a front wheel that I washed this morning with a no-name anti-brake-dust cleaner. I'm not a detailing guy. I know those of you that are could do better. The goal with this "test" is to show how little dust the Bobcats produce on a daily driver.

I'll post a new "Dirty" pic each week with number of miles driven for all of us to discover together.

Mile 1 Day 1 pic below.

Attached Thumbnails AutoXCooper-Carbotech Brake Pad Dust Test-dscf3396.jpg  
Old 04-27-2008, 04:35 PM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
That is a great idea!!

Old 04-27-2008, 04:53 PM
gpugliese
1st Gear
Great idea. I'd also like to know how those carbon rotors work for daily driving. I know they have a "review page", but no reviews as of yet.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:16 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Update

After 1500 plus miles going to and playing at MOTD here's my white wheels.

I have not washed the MINI since leaving on Tue of last week. I ran the Dragon one way eight times, 5 hard 3 easy, did the Devils Triangle on Friday HARD that was 40 miles then hit the AutoX on Sat with two drivers in my R50. Also ran Fontana to Deals Gap hard 6 round trips. Yes it rained on the wheels while sitting out at AutoX and Sat night going back from Midnight run, but didn't clean them by any means . Then came home to Chicago stop-n-go on Sunday night .

With all of that here's the pic. Note I used a towel to wipe away the dust of the Bobcats next to the value stem.

The Bobcats produce less dust them OEM and most other aftermarket pads and do so while improving braking and prolonging rotor life.

Note: if you looked at the wheels of the Carbotech R56 at MOTD he is running our AutoX pad which is as dusty if not more so then the OEM, but most AutoX drivers like the hit the windshield stopping power and don't care about dust.

Attached Thumbnails AutoXCooper-Carbotech Brake Pad Dust Test-dscf3426.jpg  
Old 05-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Thats 1500 miles of dust... WOW. I have driven maybe 50 miles since my last wheel wash, another 50 and they probably look worse than that (this being on OEMs).

How is the stopping power on these pads? I love the low dust and great pad life, but it is hard to justify the extra cost when the Hawk HPS's are staring me right in the face.

BTW: How long would you estimate the life on these, maybe double that of HPS's? I am close to killing my stock pads, and that is after 21k so I am looking for a long lasting pad, or a fairly inexpensive one.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:26 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dang, my S-heavies would be black after that with the OEM's.... Anyone want to puchase a set of almost brand new OEM's, maybe 600 miles on them?

Old 05-05-2008, 03:54 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Originally Posted by Some Guy
Thats 1500 miles of dust... WOW. I have driven maybe 50 miles since my last wheel wash, another 50 and they probably look worse than that (this being on OEMs).

How is the stopping power on these pads? I love the low dust and great pad life, but it is hard to justify the extra cost when the Hawk HPS's are staring me right in the face.

BTW: How long would you estimate the life on these, maybe double that of HPS's? I am close to killing my stock pads, and that is after 21k so I am looking for a long lasting pad, or a fairly inexpensive one.
The stopping power of the Bobcats is better then OEM for sure.

As for how many miles will YOU get, I dare not put a number on that since I can not control the use and conditions of use.

However I can say, that due to AXC/Carbotech pad blends you should see longer life of the pads over most other pads and longer life of your rotors. The main reason for this longer life is that CT is the only company not using iron in it's pads. Iron is a killer of rotors. For best results on all levels change to CT pads with new, low mile rotors or turned aftermarket rotors. All of which will save you cash in the long run.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:32 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
The test is done

It's been 10 more days, two tanks of gas, no wash since before MOTD. No wet driving in the last 10 days. Removed the temp vinyl and had to wash my MINI. Took this pic today. Note the value stem, finger line on right is the same as above and the todays on the left.

I trust you see the same thing I see, Bobcat pads ROCK! Stop better then OEM and lot's less dust. The test is done!

Want less brake pad dust, buy Bobcats and stop better too, WIN-WIN

Attached Thumbnails AutoXCooper-Carbotech Brake Pad Dust Test-dscf3437.jpg  
Old 05-29-2008, 09:03 AM
zonedguy
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
AutoX,

I'm thoroughly interested in these brakes after seeing your pictures and knowing I have white wheels on the way. However the links in your original post to your site don't seem to lead anywhere? Do you sell these brakes?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:58 AM
ashkerbibbles
Neutral
Yes, autox sells them. Send him a PM and he'll hook you up.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:55 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Yes I do, my site was having some issues last night, should be up a running at full speed in a few hours. I'll also PM you next.