Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Weird "bubbling" on paint? **SOLVED**

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 03:06 PM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know. Maybe I'm nuts. I'm seeing a couple of strange spots on the rear or my roof...just in front of the spoiler. There are three or four of them, averaging about 1/3 of an inch in diameter. Two of them are sort of abstract. One is almost a perfect ring. It looks sort of like a bubbling or crackling to the paint. I can feel the "ring shaped" one if I run my fingers over it.

Notes: I have waxed twice with Zymol clear. I would swear that these weren't there then, but anything's possible. I just can't imagine that I missed them. I really think that they've appeared within the last week or so. I tried clay bar-ing them, but nothing changed at all. It is *possible* that they're under the wax, but I can't tell. This really has me bothered. Has anyone else noticed things like this?

What is it? What should I do about it??

Old 08-19-2003, 03:16 PM
stovepipejones
4th Gear
Funny you mention it. I did my first Zaino treatment last week. A few days ago I did a quick shampoo with Mother's and while drying I noticed a similar sized "blooming" on the bonnet. No solutions, unfortunately, but I'll let you know if I discover any cures.

Old 08-19-2003, 03:19 PM
mightyMiniz
Banned
wash the area with a mix of rubbing alchohol and water... removing any wax residue... if it is still there... then I'd be concerned.

Old 08-19-2003, 08:23 PM
Chitown_COOP
That rubbing alcohol can't hurt the clear coat can it? I was thinking I would just do a spot wash in the area with Dawn liquid to cut through the alcohol, then maybe try clay bar-ing or HD Cleansing...

On second thought: I do recall there being issues back there on my second wax. Maybe it's just that the light was hitting it in a certain way the last couple of days, but it's really been standing out to me. It's quite possibly underneath the wax...at least the second layer, if not the first....

Any other thoughts or similar experiences?

Old 08-20-2003, 04:33 AM
Redleg13
3rd Gear
don't accept it. seems to me to be a warranty issue. Had a Volvo once with similar problem and they re-painted it on their dime. (worst car I've ever owned).

Old 08-20-2003, 06:36 AM
Chitown_COOP
***UPDATE***

Uh-oh. I just did the following: cleaned the area with hand dishwashing soap, swabbed repeatedly with rubbing alcohol/water, swabbed repeatedly with Zymol HD Cleanse. All to no avail. This thing is there, and it ain't leaving. I'm thinking about driving by the dealer right now. Is there anything I could have done to cause this? Honestly, it looks strangely like water damage or something. I've tried to photograph it, but it doesn't show up in photos. It's a ring and then a couple of bulging amorphous blobs that look like dried water if that makes sense...has anyone seen this before? Could I have caused it? I haven't used anything weird on my car, only nice products....

Old 08-20-2003, 07:49 AM
Redleg13
3rd Gear
hey, save your feelings of guilt for church... don't give Mini a strategic opening to blame you: tell them you have babied this car, bring your car wax to show them it's the good stuff, and be FIRM about wanting this fixed. You'll win.

Old 08-20-2003, 04:58 PM
Chitown_COOP
Anyone other than Redleg13 have an opinion on this (no offense!)?

I noticed that in a detailing thread, someone was talking about tree sap, and someone else mentioned using degreaser or Goof Off on it. Is this safe for the paint in general? I understand that it will strip wax, but nothing else?

Old 08-20-2003, 09:12 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Chitown_Coop, it's possible you have a toxic fallout etch, from either bird doo-doo or someone farting dangerously close to the MINI's fragile soft paint.

(questions):
Did you wash the car in the shade with the paint relatively cool?
Zymol Clear is the shampoo! What's the actual wax you used?
What color do you have? If you have Pure Silver, it may be a factory goof
Have you tried just washing the area again? What about a finishing spray/glossifier?

Sounds like you could have a P.I.T.A. water spot. Also, In my experience, HD Cleanse SUCKS! Vinegar, or Peanut Butter?

Whew, good luck,
Ryan

Old 08-20-2003, 09:35 PM
Chitown_COOP
>>Chitown_Coop, it's possible you have a toxic fallout etch, from either bird doo-doo or someone farting dangerously close to the MINI's fragile soft paint.

Farting eh...I saw a guy walking down the alley the other day. Looked kind of shifty if you ask me.

>>Did you wash the car in the shade with the paint relatively cool?

Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. I have certainly washed my car in the sun with relatively hot paint. And it's possible that this could have happened from opening the hatch after drying and forgetting to dry off the resulting water spots. But can water/soap etch the freaking paint???

>>Zymol Clear is the shampoo! What's the actual wax you used?

I would swear that the wax was called clear. But it's not in front of my right now. It is in the clear plastic tub. The wax itself is bluish and smells nice and pretty. It is the real Zymol, the expensive Zymol. I'm telling you it's called Clear, but I don't know that to be a fact.

>>What color do you have? If you have Pure Silver, it may be a factory goof

This is on the black roof part, right in front of the spoiler. Yeah, I've got PS also, and there are some factory "clouds" but nothing that is really noticeable unless you're in noon-time sun with a good reflection off the concrete underneath the car and you have nothing better to do than stare deep into my MINI.

>>Have you tried just washing the area again? What about a finishing spray/glossifier?

I went through the whole crazy dishwashing liquid, then rinsing, then alcohol/water to make sure that wax is all gone. Then a little clay bar. Then a lot of HD Cleanse which I totally agree sucks hard, but I thought I would rule out everything before giving up. Yes, I use Meguiar's Spray and Shine or whatever it's called with great frequency. I like it a lot, but it doesn't help this stuff at all.

>>Sounds like you could have a P.I.T.A. water spot. Also, In my experience, HD Cleanse SUCKS! Vinegar, or Peanut Butter?

It does seem a lot like a water/soap spot, and that's what I'm leaning toward thinking now, but damn if I can't get it out! I'm trying to be like a good parent--stern, but gentle--I don't want to make anything worse. Should I try rubbing a little vinegar or peanut butter or Goof Off or Simple Green or WHAT?!?!? Is it possible that it is permanent? Should I really go to the dealer? It's a long way, and I don't want to look like an *** if it's something that could just rub right out.

>>Whew, good luck,
>>Ryan

Thanks a lot Ryan, I appreciate your input!

Maxwell

Old 08-20-2003, 09:41 PM
Cooptime
3rd Gear
>>>Farting eh...I saw a guy walking down the alley the other day. Looked kind of shifty if you ask me.

Old 08-20-2003, 09:45 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
seriously, the last place I'd bring it is the dealership. They now jack sh!te about detailing and paint care.

As for the Zymol mystery, I know exactly the little clear tub with the nice smelling blue wax you're talking about; it'll be called Creme or Carbon most likely :smile:
Ryan

Old 08-20-2003, 11:45 PM
mightyMiniz
Banned
Have you used a clay bar? If so.. did it make a differance?

Old 08-21-2003, 12:19 AM
Chitown_COOP
>>As for the Zymol mystery, I know exactly the little clear tub with the nice smelling blue wax you're talking about; it'll be called Creme or Carbon most likely

I will do just that....I was concerned about using any of those type things, assuming that they are actually fine abrasives...but I'm pretty sure Pep Boys has that product on the shelves...will try tomorrow!

Thanks again.

And MM--I have use the Clay Bar again and again, and I really don't see a difference. The main thing is, I don't know if all the wax is stripped off yet. How can I safely and effectively remove the wax, and how do I tell that it's gone?

Cheers!

Old 08-21-2003, 05:15 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
Using Dawn to wash the spot will strip all wax. To be sure, you can rub your finger across the cleaned area. It should drag and not glide.

R

Old 08-21-2003, 05:32 AM
Redleg13
3rd Gear
>>seriously, the last place I'd bring it is the dealership. They now jack sh!te about detailing and paint care.
>>

c'mon this is a new car for crying out loud: you shouldn't have to resort to peanut butter and folk remedies that may only make things worse. Unless you've been seriously abusing your car, the paint at this stage should not be "blooming" or "bubbling." Take the car to the dealer and show them. They will enter it into their file noting the problem, you've got a record that you complained, which will be particularly helpful when (God forbid) thing get worse.

Old 08-21-2003, 08:26 AM
Chitown_COOP
OK. Here was this morning's routine:

1) Washed and rinsed area with Dawn (thanks to Davebret).

2) Claybar-ed the whole are (thanks to Mighty).

3) Rubbed small amount of 3M Swirl Remover lightly over area. No change.

4) Rubbed a little more 3M Swirl Remover, a little more pressure this time. Getting lighter?

5) Rubbed a little more 3M Swirl Remover, very very firm pressure. Gone. Completely.

6) Tried the stuff on a little hairline scratch on the spoiler that had been nagging at me. Gone.

7) Washed.

Rinsed.

9) Claybar-ed again.

10) Rinsed.

11) Zymol CREAMEd area.

It's beautiful now. Not a problem in sight. And I even got rid of that scratch to boot! I am now officially a Ryephile groupie--in a strictly fraternal, heterosexual sort of way. Thanks again, Ryan.

Old 08-21-2003, 08:36 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yay!! That is great news!! I'll have to get that swirl stuff for Wanda's boo-boos, too! Thanks for the update!

Cheers!
Clover

Old 08-21-2003, 08:57 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Everyone should have their own Ryephile, but I digress. ) and I end up with black stains on my cleaning cloth. Damn jet fuel and exhaust!

So far my car still looks great, though I have only waxed it a few times so far. Am I destined to have a pitted, ugly paint finish over time? DOes anyone have a similar situation as to where their car is parked? Maybe this deserves it's own thread, sorry if I hijacked it!

Thanks to all!

Old 08-21-2003, 09:02 AM
boognish
4th Gear

Good to hear you removed the spots!

I, too, own a Jet Black MINI Cooper, and it shows off every little imperfection in the paint surface. People think I'm crazy to own two black cars, But I think it's a great color for the MINI.

Anyway, I also agree that 3M Swirl Mark Remover is an amazing product. I had some very stubborn (and very ugly!) hazing/shadowing on the bonnet caused by magnetic stripes. The shadowing would not come clean with ANYTHING...until Mr. Sal Zaino suggested I try the 3M swirl mark remover...which worked like a charm...

Thanks to the Zaino system, my MINI looks spectacular all the time (so shiny, like a black mirror!), and thanks to Sal for knowing just what to do!

Motor On,

Joe

Old 08-21-2003, 09:52 AM
ittybitty
2nd Gear
>>2) Claybar-ed the whole are (thanks to Mighty).
>>
>>5) Rubbed a little more 3M Swirl Remover, very very firm pressure. Gone. Completely.

>>11) Zymol CREAMEd area.
>>
__________________________________________________ _____________________________
Excuse me in advance if these are dumb questions that I'm about to ask.

What is Claybar? Zymol Cream?

3M swirl remover available in average auto parts store? Also, what's the best wax to use?

Old 08-21-2003, 11:35 AM
Chitown_COOP
All of these questions can be answered in the Detailing forum (which is where this thread should be moved! *HINT TO MODS*).

A Claybar is a paint preparation tool used before waxing--perhaps twice a year. Available at PepBoys, etc.

3M Swirl Remover is available at PepBoys, etc. It's pretty extreme (at least it seemed so to me). Only use if you've got something really nasty that you can't find alternatives for. It is a very fine abrasive from what I can tell.

If you're a wax person, Zymol Creame (or Carbon if you have a dark color) is the stuff to use. Can be hard to find. You will need to go to a detailing store or better yet, buy online and save! Don't buy anything called Zymol that is made in Chicago. It's not Zymol. It's Turtle Wax. It's crap. The real stuff is expensive ($30 for a regular tub vs. $5 for the fake crap).

There's also a whole line of products from Zaino that a lot of people are ga-ga over. Go to the Detailing forum and get your fill.

Old 08-31-2003, 09:41 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
>>It's beautiful now. Not a problem in sight. And I even got rid of that scratch to boot! I am now officially a Ryephile groupie--in a strictly fraternal, heterosexual sort of way. Thanks again, Ryan.
>>
>>
>>

No Problem man, glad to be of some help! :smile:
The swirl mark remover is definitely a fine abrasive, but don't think of it as sandpaper, but jewelers rouge
Ryan

Old 08-31-2003, 10:04 AM
W3IWI
5th Gear
Chitown -- I don't know if it's a similar problem, but I reported on a ClearCoat "peeling" incident a couple of months ago. On my MCS, here is what I saw:
-- That's the good news.

The bad news is that on both of the front corners of the roof there are ugly "blobs" of Clear Coat and some other blemishes flaws elsewhere.

Old 08-31-2003, 10:21 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
clearcoat peeling, WOAH!
now that's a case when you want to use your warranty!
glad to hear you got it "fixed" even if it's not pretty

Quick Reply: Weird "bubbling" on paint? **SOLVED**