Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

PC guard with housing bolts

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Ohmen
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC guard with housing bolts

What are the housing bolts for? I seee they can be screwed into where the handle would mount but is there a reason why those bolt holes shouldn't be left empty?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:31 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Note, this product/idea is exclusive to OctaneGuy (ShowCarDetailing.com).

They serve two purposes.

1.) They provide extra leverage and control through your fingers.
2.) They hold the plastic housing in place that normally a handle would do.

Handles are bad though because they encourage two things. Uneven pressure as you press down on one side. They also can become potential liabilities in hitting your paint.

The housing bolts were a simple solution to a problem people had for years. In fact, before my housing bolts, vendors who offered lifetime warranties on their polishers would be replacing them every few years because customers would say that the housing is loose or rattling. In many cases, these housings would come off altogether while polishing. It's happened to me before, fortunately the falling polisher didn't hit the car I was working on.

Richard

Originally Posted by Ohmen
What are the housing bolts for? I seee they can be screwed into where the handle would mount but is there a reason why those bolt holes shouldn't be left empty?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Ohmen
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh wow, I am glad I asked. I really figured these must be just to fill an empty bolt hole haha.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:06 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The ultimate combination is the OneGrip & Housing Bolts and PC guard. That was how I intended it to be. The OneGrip enables you to hold the polisher with one hand in a totally relaxed manner so your fingers don't cramp up. It lets you focus on the polishing rather than putting effort into holding the polisher, especially when you are fighting gravity.

The housing bolts with the OneGrip adds additional control by allowing your thumb and finger to rest on it. It's very natural. For polishers that have been used a few times and don't have housing bolts, it will feel better than new because suddenly the rattling is gone. Kind of like adding a sway bar to the MINI. It's not bad without a stiffer one, but with one, it feels and handles so much better.

I use this combo on every car I detail. There are times when I'm polishing or waxing the roof of a car where I need full extension and momentarily not using the OneGrip..and remind myself to use my invention! Everytime, I feel so much more at ease, especially when I'm fatigued after a 12+ hour detail.

It's one of those things that you won't know until you try it, and then it's a no brainer.

Richard

Originally Posted by Ohmen
Oh wow, I am glad I asked. I really figured these must be just to fill an empty bolt hole haha.