Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

What will clean the black trim around the wheel wells?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:26 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What will clean the black trim around the wheel wells?

What will clean the black trim around the wheel wells and along the bottom side of the Mini? I don't know what type of material it is, maybe polyethylene, but it's starting to turn gray from either dirt or snow melting salts.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:49 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
A lot of people on this forum use Black Wow. There are lots of products for care of the plastic trim. The area just in front of the rear wheels tends to be susceptible to stone/gravel damage. If the surface feels pitted, it may be tough to bring it back to its original shiny condition.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:51 PM
miniblucabrio
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I use mequires natural shine. works really well on the plastic trim and the tires as well.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:58 PM
trico
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ditto for natural shine by Meguiars after being treated with peanut oil.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:16 PM
iamsteve710
4th Gear
Trico, please explain the peanut oil?

Old 02-09-2010, 06:20 PM
trico
6th Gear
It works to remove marks such as the white residue left by some waxes - it also adds lustre (I suppose any light oil will do but I learned this trick with peanut oil from NAM and have stuck with peanut oil. Some owners actually use peanut butter but I don't think they use crunchy .) The light wipe down works as a cleaner followed by the Meguiars that works as a conditioner and dressing.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:26 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use ICE. It's great because you can wax the car and run your rag right over the black trim. It doesn't leave it greasy but does turn it a clean black look.

You can put it on in the hot sun, apply and remove the entire car in less than 20 minutes and it doesn't turn the black flares whitish.

HTH's,

Mark

Old 02-09-2010, 06:27 PM
iamsteve710
4th Gear
Thanks for the explanation. Soon as the weather warms up I'll try using peanut oil, it's even cheaper than olive oil.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:36 PM
that7guy
6th Gear
I use a pencil eraser

Old 02-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used a magic eraser(works perfect) to get rid of the white wax residue from other waxes and now use Turtle Wax ICE to shine it up. I've found other trim products(back to black,black wow,black magic detail spray) all look good initially but after you've taken a short trip down the road it's covered in dust,pollen etc.

My .2

Old 02-10-2010, 04:49 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Black Wow only has dust attraction when it's first applied, while it's still wet. After your first wash, this isn't an issue. Most trim products need to be reapplied after washing, so they continue to suffer from dust attraction. So if you've experienced dust attraction using Black Wow, then it sounds like you aren't using it correctly.

Btw, Black Wow was created here within the MINI community to offer long lasting darkening of the plastic trim on the MINIs, longer lasting than most products. The intent was to offer a matte rich dark finish, not a wet, glossy looking Armor All/Ice look, that lasted for months.

Improving the trim requires two steps.

1.) Cleaning/restoring the trim

2.) Protecting

When you clean it, you don't want to temporarily mask or conceal stains, wax residue etc. If your trim looks better while washing your car, you get the idea. It looks great when it's wet, but as soon as it dries, it looks faded again. That's what typical trim products that don't actually clean the trim do. They temporarily improve the looks by concealing problems.

After you've cleaned the trim, you want to darken the trim and restore the natural color. Tire dressings tend to stay wet or sticky on the trim. This is most noticeable when you accidentally brush against them and turn your clothes dark. Aerosol trim products are easiest to use, but offer the shortest amount of improvement.

Richard

Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
I used a magic eraser(works perfect) to get rid of the white wax residue from other waxes and now use Turtle Wax ICE to shine it up. I've found other trim products(back to black,black wow,black magic detail spray) all look good initially but after you've taken a short trip down the road it's covered in dust,pollen etc.

My .2

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 02-10-2010 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:10 AM
C H I C K L E T
6th Gear
I use black wow and love it. Haven't tried any of the others. It helped restore the wiper cowl on my other vehicle.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:33 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
You can use the Griots dries wax remover to prep the parts and then use Black Wow, 303 Protectant, Back to Black, or your choice.

I like the 303 stuff cause it will greatly slow down the UV fading and it doesn't attract dust and dirt. I use a foam paint brush to apply it. Makes it real easy to stay in the lines.....lol

Old 02-10-2010, 07:40 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Zaino Clear Seal

I use Zaino clear seal on all of the black trim as well as the headlight covers, Tailight covers ,sport stripes and paint. I like it because here in Florida the UV rays from the sun ruins just about everything. The Clear Seal seems to keep everything looking brand new. I also use it on my wheels. It does help in getting the brake dut off a lot easier.

Wash the car-- Let it dry-- put on the "Clean Seal" and walk away. No need to wipe it off. It drys to a great shine and protects the whole car. It is a little expensive but well worth the $$$$$.

Ronnie948

Old 02-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Doesn't the Clear Seal have a glossy look to it?

Old 02-10-2010, 08:54 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ronnie948
I use Zaino clear seal on all of the black trim as well as the headlight covers, Tailight covers ,sport stripes and paint. I like it because here in Florida the UV rays from the sun ruins just about everything. The Clear Seal seems to keep everything looking brand new. I also use it on my wheels. It does help in getting the brake dut off a lot easier.

Wash the car-- Let it dry-- put on the "Clean Seal" and walk away. No need to wipe it off. It drys to a great shine and protects the whole car. It is a little expensive but well worth the $$$$$.

Ronnie948
A LITTLE???

Good stuff though...

Mark

Old 02-10-2010, 09:06 AM
C H I C K L E T
6th Gear
Not trying to hijack but I have an almost full bottle of Zaino CS if anyone wants ito buy it...I don't use it.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:22 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
BW FTW. huge

Old 02-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Simply brush wax residue away with a stiff tooth brush

not too hard tho cuz you need the bristle ends to get into the knooks...then

Zymol vinyl conditioner

http://www.zymol.com/zymolvinyl85oz.aspx

lasts long, no run off; kept the vin' 'vert top on my Miata looking good for over 15 years....

with 303 the second choice

Last edited by Capt_bj; 02-10-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:15 PM
mbu
4th Gear
THANKS everyone for your suggestions! I'll see what products are available in my area and give it a try.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:58 PM
isthar
5th Gear
FYI, I detailed my MINI today a bit, used NERO for the first time inside and a bit outside... but then I looked at my old car supplies, found meguiars shine-vinyl thing (sorry forget exact name, red squirt bottle); I remember it used to shine things up a lot in my old car (only for interior dashboard) but OTOH it depends on how much you use. It also said it included some detergents to also clean as you apply.

So I used it on the black trim around the wheels and the side skirt... and WOW it left it a fantastic, new looking *matte* black and all traces of winter were gone from it!

I still cant' wait to try that peanut oil thing

Old 12-05-2010, 07:06 AM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
I've had the same question about what to use for the black trim. I was wondering if Armor All Original Protectant would be ok to use. It says on it for the purposes of cleaning and protecting things like plastic and other similar materials, but I had always thought it was just for the inside of the car. Any thoughts? My biggest fear is using something that'll damage/fade the plastic and it'll turn gray really quickly instead of staying its original black.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
+1 for the 303....

It works great, and lasts quite a while....

Old 12-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
About every third or fourth washing, I use a strong concentration of Dawn and a boar's hair brush to clean just the black trim, rinse real good then dress it with my favorite rubber and vinyl trim protectant. THEN I wash the whole car including the trim. Any dust collecting properties are eliminated and it's good to go 'till next time. All the products previously mentioned work real good. I personally don't care for the Armorall because of the slick silicon feel it leaves behind and it does attract a lot more dust. Yea, I tried it once and my neighbor swears by it. Best advice? Try them 'till you find the one you like.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:17 AM
mbu
4th Gear
This is what works best for me...

I use a medium soft scrub brush and soapy water. The scrub brush is needed in order to get the grime out of the trim's texture. When dry, it does not leave a "greasy" film that collects dirt. Scrubbing the trim takes me less then 10 minutes.

One suggestion: DO NOT wax the trim!

Quick Reply: What will clean the black trim around the wheel wells?