Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

paint chips and detailing help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:43 PM
metodd1
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paint chips and detailing help

OK, I've been reading some threads related to this topic but they don't quite answer everything.

Here is my situation. My mini has some chips in the paint from rocks, maybe 20-30 of them on the hood/front. I think they are down to metal. I ordered some primer, matching basecoat and clearcoat. Now I have never done any touch ups or really any detail work. I believe I need to do some wet-sanding? I'm reluctant to do that because I don't know what grit to use, or proper technique. Anyway, here are my questions:

1. What other materials do I need to fix these chips, and what is the proper method of doing the repair?

2. Can you explain to me the process of detailing the car after the paint chips have been fixed? i.e., there is wash, wax, polish, paint protection, etc. -- what's the difference between wax, polish and paint protection? What do I need to make the car look good and protect the paint?

I looked at all the Prima care stuff, and it sounds good -- just don't know exactly what I need and in what order to use it.

Sorry for such basic questions! Just never had a car that I wanted to take such good care of before!

Thanks everyone!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:53 PM
docv
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Do not do whatever you are about do you will regret it, I suggest you find a person that has done it before and can show you how to apply the touch up paint, if thats all you want to do you will not need primer or clear. Its a touch up, it will not be perfect. You will however need something to remove excess paint after doing touch up there are products mentioned in several threads concerning that.
Good luck and be patient...

Old 07-14-2010, 06:56 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will respond in more detail in a bit..gotta take care of my kid this morning first.....be back with answers.

Originally Posted by metodd1
OK, I've been reading some threads related to this topic but they don't quite answer everything.

Here is my situation. My mini has some chips in the paint from rocks, maybe 20-30 of them on the hood/front. I think they are down to metal. I ordered some primer, matching basecoat and clearcoat. Now I have never done any touch ups or really any detail work. I believe I need to do some wet-sanding? I'm reluctant to do that because I don't know what grit to use, or proper technique. Anyway, here are my questions:

1. What other materials do I need to fix these chips, and what is the proper method of doing the repair?

2. Can you explain to me the process of detailing the car after the paint chips have been fixed? i.e., there is wash, wax, polish, paint protection, etc. -- what's the difference between wax, polish and paint protection? What do I need to make the car look good and protect the paint?

I looked at all the Prima care stuff, and it sounds good -- just don't know exactly what I need and in what order to use it.

Sorry for such basic questions! Just never had a car that I wanted to take such good care of before!

Thanks everyone!
I couldn't agree more. You will pay MORE in repairing the damage if you opt to wetsand your touchup without knowing what you are doing!
Originally Posted by docv
Do not do whatever you are about do you will regret it, I suggest you find a person that has done it before and can show you how to apply the touch up paint......

Old 07-14-2010, 07:02 AM
metodd1
Neutral
Well, wet sanding with 2000 or 2500 grit isn't that difficult is it? Soak the sandpaper/block for 24 hours or overnight, keep a hose with water flowing over the spots where I am sanding? Doesn't seem that difficult.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:24 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok well if you've never wetsanded before, and it looks simple enough, then go ahead and try it. The worst that can happen is you sand through the clear coat, or you sand too much that you can't buff out the scratches, you'll need to respray it. Otherwise yeah, doesn't seem difficult at all.
Originally Posted by metodd1
Well, wet sanding with 2000 or 2500 grit isn't that difficult is it? Soak the sandpaper/block for 24 hours or overnight, keep a hose with water flowing over the spots where I am sanding? Doesn't seem that difficult.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:48 AM
Elwood09
2nd Gear
Check out the Langka web site to see if this is something that might work for you. It sounds like you might have lots of chips, making this a little impractical, but who knows. You'll be an expert by the time you're done!

I have used it with good results, as long as I remember that it is a touch up, and it will be imperfect. MUCH improved, but not perfect.

www.langka.com/

Old 07-14-2010, 05:26 PM
metodd1
Neutral
I was looking at Langka last night after reading about it in a thread. I read some mixed reviews on it. At any rate, I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee with some paint chips, I have touch up paint for that, so I think I'll practice on the Jeep and see if I can get good at the repair before I start in on the mini. The Jeep is just a utility vehicle and I'm not really concerned with the paint. And if I'm not doing a good job on the Jeep, then I'll find someone to help me out with the mini, I've already been talking to a guy. Said depending on what we do, it could cost between $300-$600 with a warranty. Upper end would be with a total respray on the hood, which I'm leaning toward...just do it right the first time, ya know?

Old 07-14-2010, 06:45 PM
docv
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Excellent idea practicing on the Jeep, its really not that hard just take your time. I do it for a living, so do people in your area, go to one of the larger car lots and as the used car mananger who they use to work on lot cars, or better yet just look around the lot,they are probably there.

We always are....

Old 07-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Mini Mee
3rd Gear
Go For it

Attached Thumbnails paint chips and detailing help-geico-caveman-airport.jpg  
Old 07-14-2010, 09:15 PM
metodd1
Neutral
Originally Posted by docv
Excellent idea practicing on the Jeep, its really not that hard just take your time. I do it for a living, so do people in your area, go to one of the larger car lots and as the used car mananger who they use to work on lot cars, or better yet just look around the lot,they are probably there.

We always are....
That's a good idea, I know the guys at the used car lot down the hill from me, I'll ask them...thanks!