Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Learning The Art of Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 02:18 PM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Learning The Art of Detailing

Hello,

The more I read about detailing the more I realize how very little I know. But there is hope, there is always hope.

I ordered a new Mini. It is a S Coupe, black with the silver stripes. Pretty loaded too. So I have six weeks to learn about detailing or more before it arrives.

A little about me. Yes, I am OCD and a perfectionist. Work as an accountant too! I have my car and then there is the family car. My the interior is always show room clean. At work, well things are even measured where they go on the desk.

Reading here I was lead to Griots products. Then I saw the idea of claying a car? Orbital polishers (makes me real nervous). But I like there videos.

Questions....

What is the best way to learn the proper way to detail? Books? DVD's? Keep reading here?

Products? While I am not going to bash any can it be said that what you buy at Walmart like Vinyl Protectant should not be used? I think the last wax I used was something in an Orange bottle. Ahem...

Rather than dwell on the past is there a website and maybe Griots would be a good starting place, to learn and use products that won't hurt my car? At least get me in the right ball park?

And so the next question is how do I start? Maybe start with the simple wash and bucket and some sort of interior cleaner protectant?

Looking to build the proper arsenal to keep car looking good and not screw it up. To be blunt.

Any recommendations for a beginner at 50? Should I buy some sample or starter kits?

At a minimum, what do you like to use? Micro fiber clothes? Wash Mit?

Maybe stating the obvious or not so obvious, what is considered taboo?

Should I avoid car washes? The ones you sit in and watch it wash your car.
What about products at the Mini Dealer? Any brushes or applicators to avoid?

Unfortunately, I will have to keep my car parked outside. Thinking about the indoor outdoor cover? Why? Fear of the yard service showing up to mow the yard.

Just wanting to learn and not make terrible mistakes. This seems very complicated.

Thanks
Bill

Old 05-29-2013, 04:05 PM
MandB
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Fellow car cleaner....:)

Bill,

Welcome and congrats on the incoming car!
I too like to THINK that I pay attention when cleaning/detailing our baby (2010 R56)...I'll tell ya', one thing that I found very interesting with the MINI is how you begin to learn all the INS and OUTS of the car itself (joints, body panels, hard to reach/easy to reach spots). After a few washes, the process of cleaning it becomes a bit more effortless just due to the fact that you "know" the car.
As far as products go, you could go nuts reading all of the detailed threads on this and other forums....and they have good information....typically, I think most people pick and choose which components of the cleaning/detailing process work best for them and just go with the flow. I do love the GRIOTS products and get their catalog monthly. So far, I've purchased:

1. microfiber cloths (great quality and washable)
2. microfiber glass cleaning cloths (also washable)
3. assortment of cleaning products including wax and car wash
4. foaming glass cleaner (love this stuff)
5. rolling seat for scooting around the car to do underside and wheels
6. I also received their random orbital (6 inch) as a gift and hear it is a high quality product.

They also sell cleaning products specific to the color of your car and would most likely have something to address the black.
One thing you may notice when taking delivery of your car is a material/substance called cosmoline....it's under the bonnet in the joints used to pivot the hood up and down. Designed to prevent rust while in transit (or so I've heard) excessive amounts of cosmoline CAN drip down the outside of the black plastic fenders after washing and can be difficult to remove. There are a few products out there to help with this....I think one is called cosmo-not. If you don't use a recommended cleaner, the cosmoline is one of those substances that LOOKS like it goes away when wet and then comes back when the piece dries.
As far as the auto car-washes, I stay away from them....with one exception. When it's 0 degress outside and the car has accumulated slush and dirt, I WILL put it in the car wash where there are NO brushes and the mechanism simply surrounds the car with a high pressure water spray. Does a great job of getting off the grime and, over two winters, has really helped the car make it through the season without accumulating any long standing dirt/grime.
When I take the car to MINI (great dealership here in Dublin, OH) I always tell them to skip on the wash. I'm sure intentions are good but once you get going with your own wash routine, you tend to get picky on how it's done.
Also, don't forget the drying towel from GRIOTS as well.
Happy to keep this conversation going if folks have more input/tips/hints.
I really like using a swiffer duster on the interior as well....get's a TON of stuff that tends to hide up on the dash back close where the windshield meets the car at the bottom.

I put a couple pictures on this note so you can see that even keeping the stuff NOBODY sees clean is important! The interior hood shot is where that cosmoline can drip but, as you can see, I try to keep that spotless as well.
The front shot was just a recent car cleaning and how it looks using GRIOTS products....no waxing, no clay, just quality products and a proper dry (in the shade).

Brian

Attached Thumbnails Learning The Art of Detailing-declan-hood.jpg   Learning The Art of Detailing-declan-front.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 04:10 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Been using Griot's for about four years. I'd suggest starting out slow and expand with your comfort level. Kits are economical with just what you need. Their microfiber is superb, there are demo videos on the website. They respond pretty quickly to email questions too.

Maybe start with Car Wash, spray on wax, speed shine kit, can of claybar, Interior kit. The new black detail brush is real good as well as the new duster.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:22 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Back in 2006, I was in your shoes. OCD about lots of things but knew very little about how to REALLY maintain a vehicle.

I read the Detailing Forum for weeks. Absorbed a ton of info. Asked questions when I wasn't sure about something. I recommend you do the same.

A year later, I was probably one of the top 5 detailers on this forum. A lot of the really knowledgeable detailing guys no longer post here and I haven't posted much in the last few years. Not sure who around here is really knowledgeable on the subject. But if you ask, you will get lots of answers and most of them will be correct.

The best piece of info I can give you is this: Get a Random Orbital Buffer. Learn to use it. Nothing you can do will improve the appearance of your paint more than that. Nothing.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:12 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Brian,

Thank you so much for the informative response and recommendations of Griots products. I'll start there. Also, thanks for the heads up about Cosmoline.

Like Flyin Brick said, start out slow and CR&PW&JB learn to use an Orbital Buffer. So I will ease into it and watch their videos.

I am very concerned because my garage is full. Long story, but my Mom died recently of ALS. Parents house or what is left is in my garage. Moved my Dad in to live with us. Organizing garage is this Fri/Sat project.

That said I am really considering the car cover for outside. Fortunately, I park during the day in a nice covered parking deck. Commute round trip is 70 miles. Or as I say 2 1/2 hours in the car. Hence the Mini, I want fun! Plus I work many 10 or 11 hour days. Love what I do and the job. CPA for a parking company at Corporate.

I am also buying the wife a Mini. The four door model. My current car is a Toyota Corolla XRS special order. Prior to that I drove BMW. Really want something with good gas mileage. Will trade wife's car and my Dad's Buick for her new car to order shortly.

Not much out there? The Mini caught my eye. Similar cars were the Mazda RX-7? BMW Z28 and Mercedes AMW. No Benz here, that is an eight cylinder and I want gas mileage that is good.

Price is of no concern but fun is. Also thanks for the tip about car washes. I am sure the little Coupe will be easy to wash. Also, I am in Atlanta Georgia. Weather is pretty good here. No snow in the last few years. Originally from Chicago so I understand the cold.

I'll get my feet wet with some good Griots products so I don't screw up the new car. Take your recommendations and read, read, read. Read here and watch the videos. And ask questions. Looking forward to fun!

Thanks again all for being so kind.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:22 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
The Art of Detailing

Thanks for the wonderful recommendations! Can't wait to get started. I appreciate all the advice and product info. At least I have time to read, read, and read. That is before the car arrives.

I will start slow with the Griots products but that looks like a great place to start for a beginner.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:24 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Maybe practice on the old cars, weather is perfect to be outside.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:00 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Griots

I ordered the following to get me started. Will need much more but at least I will be ready. I wonder how long I should wait or if I should wax/polish car when it arrives?

10212 The Detailer's Handbook 1
11262 Interior Kit 1
11290 Micro Fiber Wash Pads, Set of 2 1
11131 Starter Car Care Kit 1
11117 Micro Fiber Drying Towel 1
92205 Car Care Organizer Bag II 1
11273 Traveling Car Care Kit 1
90211 Window Buddy, Set of 2 1
10642 Palm Grip 3" Pad Holder 1
11263 3" Red Foam Wax Pads, Set of 3 1
11231 Micro Fiber Speed Shine® Cloths, Set of 3 1

Old 05-31-2013, 07:27 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Oh dear!! It has begun. Life will never be the same. "Have fun in your Garage".

No need to get in a hurry about that. Ours was bought used with about 20K miles and may never have been waxed for all I know. Now it gets a full going over twice a year and a spa visit almost weekly. Little details are taken care of as they arise.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:57 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Yep... pretty soon you'll be just like me.

Porter Cable r/o buffer and 4 types of pads.
7 different polishes.
3 different waxes.
8 microfiber waffle drying towels.
12 "Monster Fluffy" microfiber detailing towels
various microfiber interior detailing towels.
shop rags for wiping down the engine compartment and inside of door jambs.
2 bottles of Black Wow
2 clay bars, least of them for wheels
Prima Nourish for leather
Renova rag top cleaner and protectant (even though the convertible was sold)
Various concoctions for bug and tar removal, scratch repair, etc.
And probably lots of stuff I'm forgetting

Old 05-31-2013, 09:36 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Buying two Minis

Well,

Then the wife says to me, you are going to clean my car like yours? Aren't you?

She is getting the Countryman version. So does this give me permission to get more cleaning supplies? Guess so. Won't be long will have much more and lots of weekend work to do.

Looking forward to it. More relaxing than dealing with the BBQ.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:41 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Stuff

CR&PW&JB

I will need to research your list and learn about all these items and where to get them.

Never heard of Black Wow. Will need to research buffers. Keeping all the micro fiber organized for separate uses. (Windows, Body, Engine, etc.)

A huge Thanks!!!

Porter Cable r/o buffer and 4 types of pads.
7 different polishes.
3 different waxes.
8 microfiber waffle drying towels.
12 "Monster Fluffy" microfiber detailing towels
various microfiber interior detailing towels.
shop rags for wiping down the engine compartment and inside of door jambs.
2 bottles of Black Wow
2 clay bars, least of them for wheels

Old 05-31-2013, 09:46 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Black wow was engineered, and sold, by one of our NAMmers, OctaneGuy. It's the best stuff you'll find to keep your exterior plastic trim pieces looking black and new.

There are newer and, supposedly, more user friendly buffers out now than the Porter Cable that I bought in 2007. Just do your reading and ask questions as they come up!

Old 05-31-2013, 03:07 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Black wow is next on my list. Picked up Mother's Back to Black initially and it's almost gone (can't bring myself to just toss it). Griot's doesn't have a competitor for Black Wow so that's what you want, Richard's (Octaneguy) website has some good how to videos as well. He used to post some help once in a while but haven't seen him for quite Awhile.

http://www.showcardetailing.com/

Old 05-31-2013, 05:52 PM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Richard's (Octaneguy)

Fly'n Brick

Thanks for pointing me to his website. I just love to read and learn and soak it all in. Lots of interesting products to try. Which will be half the fun.

Feeling more confident, don't think I will screw anything up. Just take it slow using good products. Fortunately, today there are so many good videos out there to watch and learn.

Garage is cleaned and I will be able to get the new Mini inside! That is a relief. Next is to get a cart for the supplies to set up my cleaning area. Maybe watch some more videos on garage organization. I don't like anything too close to my car.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:27 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Yep... the start of keeping a shiny and swirl free MINI is to keep a neat and organized garage.

There's a thread around here with some amazing garages that make mine look like a ghetto. LOL. Here's mine:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...geFloor001.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...yfan37/4-1.jpg

Sorry about making you click... have a new chromebook and haven't figured out how to past into the photo tool on this board yet.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:53 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Yep... the start of keeping a shiny and swirl free MINI is to keep a neat and organized garage.

There's a thread around here with some amazing garages that make mine look like a ghetto. LOL. Here's mine:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...geFloor001.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...yfan37/4-1.jpg

Sorry about making you click... have a new chromebook and haven't figured out how to past into the photo tool on this board yet.
Nice garage.. I like the MINI wing banner... I am going to have to get some info from you on detailing..lol

Old 05-31-2013, 07:00 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Thanks ! I love to talk detailing. Speaking of detailing....

Here's a puzzle for you. This is a picture of one of my MINIs after polishing and waxing it. It's not my Chili Red MINI. What color is the MINI I took the photo of ? Look to my signature for help. ;-)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...nanaGloss1.jpg

Old 05-31-2013, 07:12 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Just thought of a handy helper. Sears has a very useful Craftsman shop stool for around 30 bucks, and you need a torque wrench and 17mm socket for re-mounting the wheels after cleaning them inside and out, dressing the tires and detailing the undercarriage (I like my springs and KONIs to sparkle). A couple of coats of carnauba on the wheels will help keep them clean too.

See, you thought it's only about keeping the paint spiffy.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:19 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
There's a thread around here with some amazing garages that make mine look like a ghetto. LOL. Here's mine: .
...enough interest to start up the 12 step ghetto garage anonymous meetings? Mine qualifies in spades.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:20 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Old 05-31-2013, 07:53 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kg4fxg
I ordered the following to get me started. Will need much more but at least I will be ready. I wonder how long I should wait or if I should wax/polish car when it arrives?

10212 The Detailer's Handbook 1
11262 Interior Kit 1
11290 Micro Fiber Wash Pads, Set of 2 1
11131 Starter Car Care Kit 1
11117 Micro Fiber Drying Towel 1
92205 Car Care Organizer Bag II 1
11273 Traveling Car Care Kit 1
90211 Window Buddy, Set of 2 1
10642 Palm Grip 3" Pad Holder 1
11263 3" Red Foam Wax Pads, Set of 3 1
11231 Micro Fiber Speed Shine® Cloths, Set of 3 1
Ah and so the addiction begins!

Griots has some good stuff. Their random orbitals are high quality and even come with an instructional DVD so there is no need I worry. Note that random orbitals are pretty much idiot proof since the pad does not sit in one location and travels on an orbit, generating little heat and wont burn paint. A rotary buffer, which keeps the pad spinning in one spot, can be dangerous if you don't have practice so look out for those.

On your list I see the palm applicator which is really good. They sell a bunch of pads for it, like the polishing pad, which you might want down the line if you don't end up buying a random orbital.

Also check out the chemical guys website, detailers domain and autoality. Can't beat some of the deals that come up at these places.

Best of luck and congrats on your MINI! And remember...you've taken the first step in feeding an expensive addiction (actually your first step was ordering a shiny black car that will show every spec of dirt and bring your OCD to new levels). But everyone on NAM is very helpful and are great with answering questions.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:28 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Addiction!!!

CR&PW&JB

Thanks for the garage pics - sweet! I love that floor.

NJ Mini - yes, I will check these out. Also check out the chemical guys website, detailers domain and autoality. Nice to have options. And yes I will get a buffer. Maybe two. I like both sizes that Griots has and I do want to try other products too. Griots seemed like a nice place to start.

I have also been watching videos from Adam's Premium Car Care website.

Addictions? Well, I am also into cycling. I ride a Trek Madone Project One Six Series. Shifting is electronic with a battery in the seat post. Three of these bikes will buy you a Mini. My other hobby is Ham Radio. Build them and chat around the world using my favorite method of Morse Code.

Back to the bike. I ride mostly on the trainer in my home office. Odd? I find it fun and use videos and music but use a blower fan to keep cool. I would not say that this is 100% the reason for my weight loss but I have lost 98 pounds. Current weight is now 142 pounds. I am 6' 11". But it is fun. Hard to find clothes that fit. Trying buying men's pants below a 30 inch waist in the stores - good luck.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:15 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
I hope you meant 5'11". If you are 6'11" and 142, I fear you may blow away on a breezy day.

Thanks.... that floor is made of tiles from WWW.racedeck.com. Awesome product!

Old 06-01-2013, 05:20 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Blown Away

Yes, 5' 11", tired been polishing all the wood floors in the house. Yes, I do most of the house detail too! Love my Mieli Vac. IQ Swiss Air Filters. And Swiffer Dust and Shine for the wood.

Quick Reply: Learning The Art of Detailing