Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Rinseless Car Wash Products

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:33 PM
musamini2
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rinseless Car Wash Products

We have very hard water where we live so we've been spending an arm taking both our MINIs to the self-serve washes twice a week to keep them clean. I thought about installing a water softener but not sure I want to it out the $$$ and also not sure if it totally eliminates the water spotting issue. Also I noticed a hose filtration system on the Griot's site, but its about $150 and then the filter refills are over $100... A little pricey. The bottom line is that I have never been successful at using our water and preventing spotting.

Has anyone tried the "no rinse" car wash products such as Turtle Wax Rinse Free Wash and Wax or Optimum No Rinse? First of all, are they really safe to ensure my new minis won't develop microswirls over time. Secondly which is the best product or is there a better product out there?

Last edited by musamini2; 07-03-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Reformat for better viewing
Old 07-03-2013, 01:54 PM
ChaiLatte
2nd Gear
I use Optimum No Rinse and I like it a lot. It's nice because you can just pull the car into the garage and wash it there with minimal dripping. It doesn't leave obvious streaks and I haven't noticed additional swirls, just make sure to dry the car with a microfiber towel (I use a Viking waffle-weave). However if the car gets filthy I'll usually rinse off the extra dirt before washing. I don't know about Turtle Wax, but pro detailer's on autogeek.com rave about Optimum. I also ended up using a more concentrated mix of Optimum for a clay lubricant which worked well.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Naylia
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChaiLatte
you can just pull the car into the garage and wash it there

Mind blown. Now to clear the junk out of my garage....

Old 07-03-2013, 03:06 PM
ChaiLatte
2nd Gear
Lol, it really is a neat product. Just pour a cap-full or two (I overdo it to err on the side of caution) in a gallon of water, soak a microfiber mitt/sponge, and clean one panel at a time, drying afterwards with a microfiber cloth. It's best to start at the top so that the water won't drip down onto an area you already cleaned. The thing is you can move a lot quicker with regular soap since you have no fear of wetting a previously clean area. So using No Rinse isn't necessarily quicker, but it makes sense if you live in an apartment or an area with restricted water usage. If you do decide to go with Optimum, just get their new No Rinse with Carnauba instead of the regular one. Same stuff but with wax in it.

EDIT: Also, using 2 buckets (one with No rinse for washing and one with just water for cleaning a dirty mitt) is a wise idea.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:39 AM
linak
2nd Gear
musamini2 & ChaiLatte

I just wanted to thank both of you for starting this thread and answering it. I'm not a detailing kind of person and I've never been great at making my current ride shine. Knowing I have my first MINI on order I read through - found this thread and bought Optimum No Rinse and their spray on wax. Tried it out on my SUV (poor thing) and OMG it shines brilliantly. And it was so easy. I almost feel guilty about trading it in. Now I think I'm ready for my new one when it arrives. Thanks!

Old 10-04-2013, 12:01 PM
detonator2
1st Gear
I don't have a whole lot of experience with the no rinse stuff as I've read that some of them have an alcohol based product in them to eliminate the need to dry. Which over time can deteriorate the clear. Again that's just what I've read from other detailing sections of other forums from people that use micrometers to gauge paint/clear thickness. So take that with a grain of salt.

If I had the money/were more serious about detailing I would buy this (this is the cheapest one)
http://www.autogeekmobile.net/cr-spo...ystem-100.html

We also have super hard water here so I'm interested in others remedies

Old 10-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another vote for Optimum No Rinse, been using it for years.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:27 PM
ChaiLatte
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by linak
I just wanted to thank both of you for starting this thread and answering it. I'm not a detailing kind of person and I've never been great at making my current ride shine. Knowing I have my first MINI on order I read through - found this thread and bought Optimum No Rinse and their spray on wax. Tried it out on my SUV (poor thing) and OMG it shines brilliantly. And it was so easy. I almost feel guilty about trading it in. Now I think I'm ready for my new one when it arrives. Thanks!
Glad you liked it! Lately the weather has been better here so I'm just putting a cap-full of ONR (Optimum No Rinse) into a bucket that also has Meg's Gold Class Shampoo and washing it like a normal car. It acts like an extra conditioner for the wash.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:29 PM
ChaiLatte
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by detonator2
I don't have a whole lot of experience with the no rinse stuff as I've read that some of them have an alcohol based product in them to eliminate the need to dry. Which over time can deteriorate the clear. Again that's just what I've read from other detailing sections of other forums from people that use micrometers to gauge paint/clear thickness. So take that with a grain of salt.

If I had the money/were more serious about detailing I would buy this (this is the cheapest one)
http://www.autogeekmobile.net/cr-spo...ystem-100.html

We also have super hard water here so I'm interested in others remedies
I don't know if NOR has alcohol but it's a favorite of a lot of hard-core detailers (which I definitely am not). While I don't have a de-ionizing system in my house I do use reverse osmosis water for my washes. I have no idea if it actually makes a difference, but hey, it can't hurt right?

Old 10-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Tex6 Hawkeye
3rd Gear
The water here in Texas is hard also. I was tired of dragging my two buckets, brushes, cleaning gear etc. to the car wash and using their spot free rinse. So I started looking around for a spot free rinse system for washing my car and I came across this: http://www.crspotless.com/high-outpu...er-system.html

The up front cost is a somewhat steep, but after getting it I'm quite pleased with how well it works. I bought this in late May or earlyJune. I try to wash my car at least once a week and the resin is still good. Once the water purity indicator shows that it is getting close to change out the resin, its time to order more. Simple enough. I know this is not a no rinse system so for what it's worth I thought I would give you my input.

Last edited by Tex6 Hawkeye; 10-07-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:31 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ChaiLatte

Glad you liked it! Lately the weather has been better here so I'm just putting a cap-full of ONR (Optimum No Rinse) into a bucket that also has Meg's Gold Class Shampoo and washing it like a normal car. It acts like an extra conditioner for the wash.
+1. You beat me to it but one of the benefits of Optimum No Rinse is that it'll help with hard water and water spots if you add a capful to your normal wash and just wash as you usually would. I don't know that this will apply to all rinse less wash products however.

If you like ONR, give the new one with wax a try. Big time saver for those quick washes such as getting the bird bombs or pollen off the car and leaves a nice gloss.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:41 PM
linak
2nd Gear
Okay, so I enjoyed washing my SUV so much with the ONR that this week I washed my husband's truck. It glistened! Boy, was he surprised (aren't I a good wife?). Can't wait to get my MINI to start cleaning it. Did I just say that? I meant DRIVING it . . . then washing it!

Old 10-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
i just got some of the Optimum no rinse and washed for the first time today. Works like a charm! Unfortunately, it also shows all the little spots that are begging me to use the clay bar to finish it up... Its kind of amazing though, to save so much on the water. I didn't have the chance to, but I hear if you use distilled water, it won't spot at all (read it in another thread on this board).

Old 10-21-2013, 04:12 PM
CoSCooper
1st Gear
Used ONR for years!

Second everyone's comments about ONR.

Best stuff bar none! Have used it for well over 6 years on lots of different cars and paint types. The stuff is amazing and almost like magic for winter washes. (Mag chloride and other filthy stuff that gets caught in ice buildup slides right off.)

Only suggestion, use a really good micro fiber cloth to keep down swirls and scratches. Use the wash/rinse method to keep the wash clean and use new and/or replace cloth every few months as they get stiff and lose their point of use, to keep down swirls & scratches.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:36 PM
XLXRider
1st Gear
...as an individual who has spent 40+ yr in the OEM paint biz, including many as a formulator of base/clear OEM paints, I can tell you that alcohols as may be used in cleaning products will not degrade, damage, or otherwise deteriorate your clear coat. So I wouldn't worry about that too much!

Regards,
XLXRider

Old 11-07-2013, 06:50 AM
skyslug
2nd Gear
I use Griot's Garage and their waterless car wash, speed shine and other products. I've had my little red guy for over a year and a half. He gets dirty but the waterless car wash really works and the speed shine is incredible. I do not have any swirls! I use a microfiber cloth for all cleaning. I know this isn't "no rinse" but it is waterless and it does a great job and is really quick. I also keep a small bottle of the Speed Shine and some microfiber cloths in my boot for roadtrips (keeps the bugs off the bonnet)

Old 11-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Pno2nr
4th Gear
I'm so glad to learn of this product. I nearly slipped on the ice in the shady spots of the self serve spray and wash close to my house. People gave me funny looks as I was washing, but the ice was caked off the bottom of my poor Mini and couldn't hardly see out the windows. Got 5 thumbs up on the way home! 2 were Mini drivers :>)

Old 11-27-2013, 03:37 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If your worried about water spots, you should look at spotless water systems. I have one and have been using it for a year. But to be honest never added it to my waterless car wash. I only mix 3:1 water to concentrate. Then spay on and wipe off. I use DP brand.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:50 PM
navybsn
3rd Gear
ONR here. Recently discovered this stuff and it's awesome. I have some products from Griots too. Good stuff. They sell it at Advance Auto now.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:44 AM
phil@detailersdomain
Former Vendor
Old 12-22-2013, 09:27 PM
El_Jefe
6th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
that adams stuff looks great

Old 02-12-2014, 06:33 AM
cantcode86
2nd Gear
How are you guys dealing with your wheels? Just save the wheels for last? I'm on the road and live in hotels so it is tough to get my car clean. I switched to EBC reds and they cut the dust down a lot.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:11 AM
phil@detailersdomain
Former Vendor
a lot of rinseless wash and towels - elbow grease its a task to clean up wheels without running water/hose/pressure washer.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:54 AM
cantcode86
2nd Gear
Thank you. I kind of thought that would be the answer. I'm trying to figure out what I want to order.