Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Rain-X on the Exterior Trim

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 04:06 PM
countrym
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rain-X on the Exterior Trim

Thanks to advice from YellowBellyMini in this thread, I found out that Rain-X takes white wax residue off the black trim quite nicely.

And then I read the label and it said "Do not use on plastics."

Think there's any real danger?

Old 07-13-2004, 04:45 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by countrym
Thanks to advice from YellowBellyMini in this thread, I found out that Rain-X takes white wax residue off the black trim quite nicely.

And then I read the label and it said "Do not use on plastics."

Think there's any real danger?
It probably reacts with some plastics so the manufacturer is playing it safe with a general disclaimer.

You should know within a few weeks if your plastic reacts with this stuff -- hopefully, it won't start getting gummy or tacky...

Old 07-14-2004, 11:27 AM
sbgobig
4th Gear
I found a product called Black Again that worked great on my trim. It has been about 2-3 weeks since I applied it to areas of my trim that had turned white and it looks like new again.

You can find it at http://www.autogeek.net/index.html

Last edited by sbgobig; 07-14-2004 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:33 AM
smask
2nd Gear
Rain-X

So was your plastic affected at all by using the Rain-X?

Old 07-14-2004, 11:59 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sbgobig
I found a product called Black Again that worked great on my trim. It has been about 2-3 weeks since I applied it to areas of my trim that had turned white and it looks like new again.

You can find it at http://www.autogeek.net/index.html
Have you washed the car in the interim? Most of these products seem to mask more than clean so the "blacking" effect is temporary. After a car wash or two, the white just returns.

btw, after trying all kinds of products specifically claiming to restore the black, the best thing I've found is common isopropyl alcohol applied with a microfiber cloth. It actually removes the wax although it takes several passes. Then I dress the trim with Vinylex.

Old 07-14-2004, 01:30 PM
sbgobig
4th Gear
I did one wash since appling Black Again. I have also heard about these products not working that is why I was glad to find this one. It is not available at local stores like Mothers Back to Black and other products. This product is clear so it's more than just cover up.

I do see some areas of white haze but I did not apply it to all of the trim. So the jury is still out but I like it so far. I never did try peanut butter.

Old 07-14-2004, 02:21 PM
countrym
6th Gear
Update

24 hours after applying the Rain-X.

The wax is still gone. It seems to have actually been removed, as opposed to masked.

No apparent adverse effects on the plastic. It looks normal. The Rain-X didn't leave it looking shiny, like Armor All or something similar would, but it did get rid of the residue. Once I was the car, it will take an application of something else to get it looking sharp. I'll probably use the MINI Exterior Trim Cleaner I already have.

I should also note that it was less effective in spots where I used less. To work well, the cloth has to be saturated, not just damp.

Check out my new sig pic for a visual of the results.

Last edited by countrym; 07-14-2004 at 02:38 PM. Reason: New sig pic
Old 08-08-2004, 04:31 PM
apexer
6th Gear
I used the RainX today and it does seem to do the job. Used paper towel,fair amount of pressure and wiped clean with damp cotton towel when done (before the RainX dried).

Old 08-08-2004, 04:44 PM
YellowBellyMini
2nd Gear
Rain-x is a miracle product. We use it at the car wash I work at to remove anything from bugs to paint from people brushing up against things with their cars. I found that it also works well to remove the white was residue that looks o-so-awfull off the black trim. I use Mothers Back to Black on my trim now. It's kinda like a polish for the plastic. It replenishes the oils in the plastic, and keeps it looking dark and new. My favorite thing about it is that it doesn't wash off when you wash your car. It lasts at least 3-4 washes before I think it needs to be touched up. And if you keep it on there, when you happen to get wax on there the next time, you can just wipe it right off. I think the back to black helps repel stuff like that from sticking. Also, the Back to Black is a nice product for tires as well. I use it on my tires now because it is not that shiny, lasts longer, doesn't fling off on to your paint when you drive, and unlike armor-all, it does not dry out the rubber, but rather replenishes its natural oils.

Matt

Old 08-08-2004, 06:16 PM
BradB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RainX on trim! I love it. Ha!

You do know it's the solvent in the RainX that is cleaning your trim, right?

Old 08-08-2004, 06:34 PM
Prw3
3rd Gear
Ok I know this is going to sound strange but it really works...... Peanut butter. I cant remember who told me about this but I've been using it for year, rub in and wait a few minutes......wash off. Be sure to use creamy not chunky.

Old 08-08-2004, 11:14 PM
lotsie
Banned
ok if peanut butter works,so should vegtable oil,no

Old 08-09-2004, 05:42 AM
BradB
6th Gear
Yep, both will work. It's the oils. The side effects are having the neighbors pets constantly licking your trim! But then again, you would have a clean car!

Old 08-09-2004, 06:54 AM
Blue Brummie
4th Gear
Easy Tip of the Day

I'm pretty sure this has been posted before, but instead of using Peanut Butter, simplify the process and use peanut oil.

BB

Old 08-16-2004, 07:37 PM
Bikeguy57
2nd Gear
Hey BradB, what do you suggest for dressing on the black plastic wheel arches. The're clean but a little dull. would prefer a matte finish vs gloss...Thanks,Mike

Old 08-16-2004, 08:06 PM
BradB
6th Gear
The arches are really porous so any dressing sinks in fast. Not to much worry about anything being too shiny. (at least for long)

I like a couple things. 1Z is one of my favorites. I also really love Mothers Preserves Protectant. (Mothers traditionally has a bit of a glossier shine but it doesn't look that way on the arches at all. They just look real black.) For a real nice matte finish product with a high UV rating. (best for use in the interior as well) use Aerospace 303 Protectant.

HINT: Use Eagle One foam tire swipes to apply the dressing to the arches. They fit the curved shape and size of the arches perfectly and make quick work of it!

Brad

Old 08-16-2004, 08:15 PM
Bikeguy57
2nd Gear
Thanks BradB...Mike

Old 08-18-2004, 10:16 AM
apexer
6th Gear
Well, after driving through a rain storm, the chocky spots are back so, looks like RainX is not a long term solution. Tried Meguires Back To Black on one fender flair and will see how long that hold up

Old 08-18-2004, 05:37 PM
sbgobig
4th Gear
Black Again

It has been a good month or so and I have washed a couple of times and I am still impressed with this product.

Originally Posted by sbgobig
I did one wash since appling Black Again. I have also heard about these products not working that is why I was glad to find this one. It is not available at local stores like Mothers Back to Black and other products. This product is clear so it's more than just cover up.

I do see some areas of white haze but I did not apply it to all of the trim. So the jury is still out but I like it so far. I never did try peanut butter.

Old 08-20-2004, 08:34 AM
string
4th Gear
Originally Posted by apexer
Well, after driving through a rain storm, the chocky spots are back so, looks like RainX is not a long term solution. Tried Meguires Back To Black on one fender flair and will see how long that hold up
Thanks to BradB for giving me the following solution: (I had the same problem that you are having.)

Rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush! Rain-X does have solvents in it (smells like alcohol to me) so it might work with a toothbrush rubbing. ??? But I used the rubbing alcohol, so that's what I'm sticking with.

Those pieces are very porous and regular rags/towels don't get in there where the wax is living. You need a solvent to eat that wax away, but it needs a little 'mechanical' help to get down there and then 'lift' the wax out -- thus the toothbrush. Took my time with just a little pressure in circular motions.

Just know that if you get the alcohol on your paint, your wax is going to go away there too. I did about three treatments of the alcohol on the trim with the toothbrush and all the wax is gone. It will look very dry afterwards (because it is! - you just stripped it), but dressing will replace the needed shine back.

Took the opportunity to remove other wax build-ups in cracks, logos, etc. with the alcohol/toothbrush combo, then Dawned the car, clayed, and waxed again.... CAREFULLY!!!!!! Then dressed the trim. Awesome results Now I don't worry about my trim looking like total crap if it rains and rinses the dressing off of it!

I never want to deal with that wax on trim crap again!

Good luck!

(Thanks again, Brad!)

Old 08-20-2004, 08:48 AM
CharlesWil
5th Gear
Old 08-20-2004, 10:55 AM
BradB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by string
Thanks to BradB for giving me the following solution: (I had the same problem that you are having.)

Rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush! Rain-X does have solvents in it (smells like alcohol to me) so it might work with a toothbrush rubbing. ??? But I used the rubbing alcohol, so that's what I'm sticking with.

Those pieces are very porous and regular rags/towels don't get in there where the wax is living. You need a solvent to eat that wax away, but it needs a little 'mechanical' help to get down there and then 'lift' the wax out -- thus the toothbrush. Took my time with just a little pressure in circular motions.

Just know that if you get the alcohol on your paint, your wax is going to go away there too. I did about three treatments of the alcohol on the trim with the toothbrush and all the wax is gone. It will look very dry afterwards (because it is! - you just stripped it), but dressing will replace the needed shine back.

Took the opportunity to remove other wax build-ups in cracks, logos, etc. with the alcohol/toothbrush combo, then Dawned the car, clayed, and waxed again.... CAREFULLY!!!!!! Then dressed the trim. Awesome results Now I don't worry about my trim looking like total crap if it rains and rinses the dressing off of it!

I never want to deal with that wax on trim crap again!

Good luck!

(Thanks again, Brad!)
Yea!!!