Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Mr. Clean Autodry Carwash (Pro Series), does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 08:25 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr. Clean Autodry Carwash (Pro Series), does it work?

I have seen many ads on TV for the Mr. Clean Pro Series Autodry Car Wash. From the commercials it looks like it works pretty well. It looks like it's easy to use, and leaves your car shining without the need of drying and the ANNOYING water spots that always are invisible until the day after you wash you car! DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OPINIONS OF THIS PRODUCT, OR ARE THERE ANY REVIEWS? I love making my car look nice, it makes a statement that I am proud of it, which I am, almost more than anything I have.:smile: Also I find it funny how you notice a shiny squeeky clean car more than a dirty one.

Thanks, Have a Great Week!

Mikey

Old 04-20-2005, 08:45 PM
LagunaSol
4th Gear
I had the Mr. Clean Autodry Car Wash, don't know if it was the "Pro" version (probably not). My thoughts (while the thing lasted):

1) The water spray while on "wash mode" was very weak
2) It was awkward to hold
3) It really didn't stand up on it's own, and when it tipped over, the soap would leak out
4) The "spotless rinse" does, in fact, work as advertised (I was surprised), BUT...the water coming out on "spotless rinse mode" was a fine mist more than anything. And you have to buy a new filter every few washes, and they aren't cheap
5) It's made of cheap, brittle plastic. Mine fell off the storage shelf to the concrete garage floor (about 4 feet) and broke. So into the trash it went, where it probably would have gone anyway.

Good idea, poor execution. I'd rather have a smaller, more durable version (rubberize it people!) made only for the spot free rinse. Use your regular spray head (or power washer) and a bucket of suds for washing and rinsing, then pop on the spot free rinse tool for a spotless final spray.

Old 04-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Vanwall
4th Gear
We use it all the time, and love it. It may not be built for tossing around, but we're careful with all our tools. We use a lot less water with it, compared to previous washes, as well. It comes with a plastic storage case now, I understand.

BCNU,
Rob in Dago

Old 04-20-2005, 09:16 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried it and didn't like it. Thought it was a piece of junk and took it back for a refund. fwiw, it wasn't the "Pro" model.

The biggest problem with is was the lack of flow and a leak where the hose attaches, no matter how much it was tightened. What's the point of the deionized water rinse if you're going to leak tap water on the rinsed areas afterwards? I've never seen so many water spots as when the car was finally dry (that was another problem -- I didn't want to drive it until it was dry -- took about an hour)!

I much prefer using MF cloths.

btw, there are several threads on this already if you'd like to see more opinions.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:16 PM
cgrant
1st Gear
I use it and love the thing. Wouldn't wash my car without it now.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:34 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
The "pro" series has a higher pressure sprayer and has different connectors so it doesn't leak water.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:45 PM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
You have to understand first that is built cheap and purchased cheap. With a little care it will stand up to regular use with no problems.

Pros:
1. Works as advertised. If you use the product per the directions it does a great job and dries spot-free every time.
2. Intuitive, easy-to-use design.
3. Soap does a great job. Smells really good too.

Cons:
I wish the thing sprayed harder...that said I think the lack of power is more due to my lack of available water pressure at my house.

I love mine. I bought it on the reccommendation of fellow NAMers...otherwise I probably would have never tried it. I supplement mine with bucket of soapy (just use the autodry soap) water for rinsing my wash mitt. Rinse it off with the jet mode after soaping. Make sure you never let any part of the car dry until you are ready to do the final rinse with the spot-free rinse mode. Works every time.

Sean

Old 04-21-2005, 12:56 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
I might give the Pro version a try.

All I really want is the deionizing rinse. The soap dispensing "feature" is a needless complication. I prefer washing the car the old fashioned way with 2-buckets.

For those who have the Pro model, how many Mini rinses should one expect from a deionizer cartridge?

Old 04-21-2005, 01:37 AM
BaldBikerGuy
Banned
I love mine...

Didn't even know they had a "pro", I'll be out looking for one tomorrow. I use the soap feature to just put a little more soap on my car, still use the buckets. The spray wouldn't even touch the bugs so you still need a bucket and mitt

The filter seems to last about three/four washes...that's a "little" weak but then again...I spend money on other things too that seem to be silly

Old 04-21-2005, 06:04 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I've got the one that came out last year (not the pro), I find it acceptable..

Yes the spray is kinda weak, but from reading the instructions, it's not intended to be a spray n wash type device. They still recommend scrubbing the car after spraying on the soap.

As for the de-ionizer, that's an extra step after you rinse the car off. Supposedly the little beads that you see rolling off of your car are what is keeping the spots from appearing.

What I don't like: Supplies are kinda expensive. I still would prefer that the regular rinse and the soap spray was much stronger.

Old 04-21-2005, 07:52 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
I got the one in the plastic case for my birthday,I guess it's the "pro" model.It works great except the rinse is VERY low pressure.I have city water which is normally higher pressure than well water and it still comes out low.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:00 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The MINI is so small that drying it with a towel really isn't a chore. It goes by real quick. And your car will love the tender caressing ... :smile:

Old 04-21-2005, 09:57 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
I had always thought using filtered water would be much better for carwashing, so when this came out, to say the least, I was very excited. And I was right.

It works as advertised. Not to mention you no longer a dirt-recycling bucket of water anymore. My water is so hard that even when hand drying, water spots would still develop in spots no matter how fast I tried to dry things. Now I don't have to bother. My MINI Is black, and no water spots. Amazing.

To address some of the comments here, yes the spray is not as strong as a hose nozzle, but the Pro version has been released to address this. Actually I find the regular model fine enough, you should be removing dirt with the mitt not strong water anyway.

Don't believe the ratings on the filter. Wait till it turns brown. Mine lasted the entire summer last year, and I washed almost every weekend, with still no water spots.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:21 AM
mataku
5th Gear
I've considered getting this just to use the filter as jwardell has mentioned, but I've read at a few places that there were some concerns as to the soap itself. I won't be using it just because I'm going to get Zaino and I dont think the soap is compatible.

is this worth getting just to get the filter?

Old 04-21-2005, 12:21 PM
eclps0
1st Gear
LOL, i use it all the time but i do it the cheaper way just buy the refill soap and wash with a rag or whatever u use and then rinse with reg hose water, and boom u have a calean car with no spots and no drying.

here is an example i just cleaned it 10 min ago.

Attached Thumbnails Mr. Clean Autodry Carwash (Pro Series), does it work?-attachment.jpeg  
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2005, 01:09 PM
searocko
4th Gear
I tried the non-Pro version and I had the same complaint with low rinse water pressure. It takes forever and practically doubles my wash time. My microfiber drying towels can do the job in a fraction of the time. I ended up returning the unit.

I also noticed that the soap turns my wash mitt black. The soap also didn't seem too "wet" and it felt like I was grinding dirt into the paint. It's back to bucket washing for me.

Old 04-21-2005, 09:08 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
I happened to see the Pro version today at a store. I'm not sure what makes it a "pro" -- same plastic fitting, same size deionizer cartridge, same about-to-shatter-into-a-hundred pieces plastic housing.

I won't even bother giving it a second chance. I'm sticking with trouble-free MF cloths!

Old 04-22-2005, 12:21 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
It's not the soap turning your mitt black, it's the dirt it's removing! I guess you don't want to remove dirt...

I know the casing feels cheap. I've actually dropped mine several times, though, often off a 4-ft ledge onto concrete, and its held up perfectly each time. It's more durable than you think.

Old 04-22-2005, 12:49 PM
minimonkey
4th Gear
My experience with Mr. Clean was pretty much the same as everybody else. Mine broke (got a replacement for free), mine leaked at the hose hook-up and that water would stain the car... etc. I have stopped using it when I got my Mini.

My question is this... other than a salt based water filter... there must be some kind of large water filter (tank) that I could run my hose through? Does anybody know of something like that?

I though about rigging up a refrigerator type water filter, but that might cause water pressure problems. I would think car detailers might be using something like this on there mobile trucks.... any ideas?

Old 04-23-2005, 08:11 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
I got the pro series from wally world last night and plan to use it tommorrow if it's not snowing! I love (sarcastic remark) Indiana, it's the only place in the U.S. where you can be playing golf in shorts in 80+ degree weather on tuesday and have an inch of snow on the ground by Saturday night. The corn kinda bugs me too.

Hope it's warm where u r.

Mikey

BTW this is Harmon's first night not being spotless, EVER!

Old 04-23-2005, 08:29 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by ChiliCooperS
I got the pro series from wally world last night and plan to use it tommorrow if it's not snowing! I love (sarcastic remark) Indiana, it's the only place in the U.S. where you can be playing golf in shorts in 80+ degree weather on tuesday and have an inch of snow on the ground by Saturday night. The corn kinda bugs me too.

Hope it's warm where u r.

Mikey

BTW this is Harmon's first night not being spotless, EVER!
Don't want to rub it in,but no snow here,and non in sight
Now next month could be another story

Old 04-24-2005, 09:17 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Uhhh, Indiana you say? You proclaim to have crazy changing weather?
I beg to differ! Try living on the eastern side of any of the great lakes.

The lakes mess everything up. Do you know of the term, "Lake-Effect Snow, or Lake-Effect Rain"? It basically means that any normal storm flying over the lakes, will recharge and get amplified, sucking up moisture, becoming a monsoon or blizzard once it reaches land on the other side. Why do you think Buffalo and Syracuse have such infamous snowfall amounts each year? That reputation is well deserved.

By the way, to get back on topic here. I have the Mr. Clean system, and love it. Yes, it isn't a powerwasher by any means. You still must use a bucket and wash mitt. But the filtered water rinse really does work! I recommend it.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:00 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
I've lived in New England, Texas, Chicago, and Syracuse, and 'cuse wins hands down for worst weather.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:36 PM
BaldBikerGuy
Banned
To start off Ohio here... 1 1/2 FOOT of snow over the w'end...80s the two weeks prior, nothing changes faster than Ohio weather.

Just picked up the "Pro" Mr. Clean, works great. I liked the old one too but this one has more pressure and also a comfy handle. As far as the plastic goes, I've droped mine, drug it across the garage floor and it's no worse the wear.

Old 04-27-2005, 07:23 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
I started using the Mr Clean system over a year ago, and it has its pros and cons. Weak pressure? Yes. Dripping connections? I had none.

At first I also thought that my mitt turned black because of removed dirt, but now I don't think so. The reason is that when I stopped using Mr Clean and went back to my Zaino shampoo, the black in my mitt disappeared. If it was truly just dirt, why didn't it wash out as easily with the Mr Clean shampoo?

And it really did look like the Mr Clean shampoo left a slippery film on the car's surface. Not saying that's bad, but it did seem, well, odd.

Oh, and the Mr Clean shampoo and zaino are indeed compatible. Not in the sense that you can use the zaino shampoo followed by the Mr Clean rinse and get the same self-drying results, but in the sense that they won't do any harm if you alternate between the two systems.

I'm kind of ambivalent about the Mr Clean system at this point. I will probably stick with the Zaino shampoo followed by the water blade and MF towels.

Quick Reply: Mr. Clean Autodry Carwash (Pro Series), does it work?