Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Question re: Random Orbit Polishers

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 08:28 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question re: Random Orbit Polishers

I was checking prices at some local places for a Porter Cable random orbit polisher (the Andersons, surprisingly, is one of the better places I've found locally for car care stuff), and while on the phone with one of their guys, he mentioned that he's used alternate "power buffer" products by Buffalo and a manufacturer called Intra Dynamics. He said that the action was basically the same and the only real difference between those and the PC buffers is in their longevity- he said that for regular, "professional" use, the Porter Cable was the best way to go, but for someone like me (who will probably only use the buffer a few times a year at most) that a less-expensive brand would do.

I've purchased "off brand" power tools for occasional use (my Dremel, for example) and have had no issues. Has anyone out there used the Buffalo or Itra Dynamics products? I found a Buffalo "angle polisher" online HERE, but I'm not sure if that's a true random orbit polisher (they say it is).

Spending $40 on a tool that I'll probably only use annually or semi-annually is better for me than spending $130 or more on the same thing, honestly, if in fact the only real difference is that the PC will keep working after hundreds or thousands of hours of use.

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2006, 08:50 AM
S Curvz
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That appears to be a dirrect drive. Not a bad way to go...if you know what your doing...which i dont.

That being said, i have a PC at my place. If you want to give it a try, you could fallow me back from breakfast some morning and we can detail your car. Or you can come up to my place and use it. PM me if you interested.

*Disclamer* Last club member that I introduced Griots stuff too...bought alot that same day.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:34 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
LOL... I actually asked on the MODfest thread if anyone had one of these and would be willing to bring one to the next meeting. Check with Aaron- I know he was looking for ideas for seminars. Sounds like you can do some real damage if you use the device improperly...

As for me, I was asking about PC polishers to get a moisture mark out of my hood, but I also have a truck with faitly bad swirl marks that I was considering buffing out with the PC. Beyond that, though, I'm not too sure how often I'd use such a tool. Annually maybe, or every 6 months, but I doubt I'd use it more than that.

"Direct Drive" = circular action, like a drill, right, as opposed to the orbital motion you get with a Porter Cable unit?

Also, do the PC units come with the counterweight, or is that something you buy optionally? I hear the random orbitals really need the counterweight.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:42 AM
KC MCS
3rd Gear
A word of warning...a guy that works with me went out to buy a polisher after seeing the results the PC provided on my car (and my wife's car).

Instead of laying down the money on the PC, he bought an off-brand and it shot craps before he even finished his SUV.

Just something to keep in mind - of course that doesn't mean it would happen to you, but I haven't seen or heard anyone post anything about their PC shooting craps.

Oh yeah, and while you don't plan on using it more than a couple times a year, you may very well change your mind after you see the kind of results you get out of it!

I keep my cars detailed all the time, and it even made me want to do it more!

Old 07-25-2006, 10:57 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
ImagoX, you really must come on over to ShowCarGarage so we can reprogram you!!!!

Don't buy anything other than the Porter Cable polisher. Very few people who selll products understand the benefits of the PC. There is no equivalent, and definitely don't buy a direct drive polisher. With advise like that, it's time to pack your bags and RUN!

I bet once you use the PC once, you will use it everytime you wax your car. This might end up being monthly or every few months. I know it sounds crazy, but you can apply wax and remove wax with the PC. You can also use it to remove swirls and apply pure polishes.

It takes all the work out of waxing the car by hand, and it's safer.

re: No, the PC won't do real damage if used improperly.
Not unless you drop it--and yes I've seen people do that. Not unless you're working on a car with a single stage (non clear coat) finish with lots of ridges and high points.

Used improperly, you just won't get effective results. Your finish may turn cloudy, the swirls might not disappear, etc..

There are two counterweights available on the PC. Most experts agree that the counterweight isn't an issue on the PC and rather it's makes more of a difference when polishing wood. So which ever one you get, you will be ok.

Remember, if you buy a PC from a hardware store---I bought mine from Lowes for $90 for a New Years Special. You still need to buy a velcro backing plate $20, and foam buffing pads $10.

The pad included with the PC is useless for waxing. It also screws into the PC, and makes it hard to change between pads.

You will want a yellow Meguiar's W8006 pad for removing swirls applying waxes. You could get a W9006 polishing pad for applying waxes if you want too. The pad is much softer and primarily used for final finishing.

You will also want one W7006 cutting pad to use as a base for holding a microfiber bonnet to remove wax.

Richard

Originally Posted by ImagoX
LOL... I actually asked on the MODfest thread if anyone had one of these and would be willing to bring one to the next meeting. Check with Aaron- I know he was looking for ideas for seminars. Sounds like you can do some real damage if you use the device improperly...

As for me, I was asking about PC polishers to get a moisture mark out of my hood, but I also have a truck with faitly bad swirl marks that I was considering buffing out with the PC. Beyond that, though, I'm not too sure how often I'd use such a tool. Annually maybe, or every 6 months, but I doubt I'd use it more than that.

"Direct Drive" = circular action, like a drill, right, as opposed to the orbital motion you get with a Porter Cable unit?

Also, do the PC units come with the counterweight, or is that something you buy optionally? I hear the random orbitals really need the counterweight.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:00 AM
OctaneGuy
This is a rotary buffer. Don't buy this.
I found a Buffalo "angle polisher" online HERE, but I'm not sure if that's a true random orbit polisher (they say it is).

Old 07-25-2006, 11:09 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
ImagoX- i will warn you now that if you start using orbital buffers, you're
not going to just do it 'once a year.' you're going to be using it many times
a year on not only your car but your wife's car, your in-laws car, etc. etc.
because it is so convenient and the outcome is so nice.

i would recommend doing it by hand if you're thinking about going with a
half-assed tool.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:47 AM
S Curvz
6th Gear
I agree. I do my car about every three months, havent done my jeep at all, but its becoming harder to just let sit. I do my parents cars at least once a year with Griots Garage paint sealent. And then there is my sisters car....And the neigbors and friends...etc. I do charge friends and neigbors, but only enough to pay for more stuff.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:09 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
::: begins plotting how to pitch this to the missus...::: You guys are evil - not that I really need any EXCUSE to buy things for my car.
I'm going to get SO teased for this one, I can tell.

Well, I guess a "real" orbital polisher is on my "to buy" list now. At least this purchase will benefit my other car. Mini's have this magical power to vaporize ALL of one's free cash, don't they?

Old 07-25-2006, 12:12 PM
S Curvz
6th Gear
As i said, you can use mine first to make sure the addition is really there

Maybe you should bring the Misses are over

Old 07-25-2006, 12:14 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I leave the rotary tools to the experts. If I get a scratch that is too deep for the PCDA, I'll have it professionally buffed out by someone w/ a top notch reputation.

I know enough to know that I don't know enough... if that makes any sense!

Old 07-25-2006, 12:30 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Actually, that makes PERFECT sense...

And, Sean, I'll definitely take you up on the generous offer. I have driving lights on my budget for the moment (Aaron's holding parts for me over at Outmotoring), but I think this will be next- I'd really like to get both my truck and my Mini looking perfect before Fall and the bad weather sets in, because once the snow stary flying I know it will be three times as hard to go out amd do this stuff.

And hey, maybe I can get her hooked on detailing... she's already begun to get pumped by rally events and the meet-and-greets and all- I think it must be all the wondwerfully friendly Mini people we're meeting.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:40 PM
S Curvz
6th Gear
Actually, that makes PERFECT sense...
I am always thinking.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:03 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Just so I can start planning this... Is this a good package for the PC?

http://www.topoftheline.com/porcabpolpac.html

Comes with:

Porter Cable #7336 Orbital Polisher/Sander with wrench, foam pad/plate combo, sanding disk/sandpaper, #6 counter weight for 6.5" pads and up

6" Velcro Pad Holder

7.5" Lake Country VC Cutting Pad (oxidation and scratch removal)

7.5" Lake Country VC Polishing Pad (swirl removal, polishing, one-step cleaner/waxes)

7.5" Lake Country VC Finishing Pad (liquid or paste wax application)

(2) 6" Terry Bonnets (removing polishes, waxes and cleaning glass, leather, vinyl)

6" Flat Foam Polishing Pad (supports terry bonnets.. not shown in photo)

4" Mini Foam Polishing Pad (polishing in/around constricted areas)

4" Mini Foam Finishing Pad (applying waxes in/around constricted areas)

4" Velcro Pad Holder (for 4" foam pads)

Plus it has the default white glued-down pad (I assume I'd not use this- it's a wood sanding tool, right?) and the #6 counterweight

Price: $189 + $12 shipping

Old 07-26-2006, 11:16 AM
OctaneGuy
It's not a bad deal, but I will caution you about going this route.

Since you haven't chosen a polishing system yet, the choice you make now, will affect your choices down the road.

For example.

In the Meguiar's system, you solve problems by choosing the right chemical. Pads stay mostly contant. You have 3 pad choices, but only 2 are actually used on the paint. The 3rd is used to hold a Microfiber bonnet.

With that in mind, you can go polish out a car with a W8006 pad using M80, then using another clean W8006 pad, apply NXT Tech Wax or M21 or whatever wax your heart desires.

If you need to remove deeper scratches you use more passes of M80 or maybe try M83 which is about twice as aggressive.

With the system you are looking at, your complexity increases by many times. Now it's not just a matter of what chemical to use, it's which pad shall I use. And am I getting the best possible results using this choice?

Not that you couldn't just dump all the LC pads and get some Meguiar's pads, and go that route--but IMO, if you want my help with the least expense, you're better off looking for a Meguiar's G100a with it's lifetime warranty--it comes with a backing plate and W-8006 pad to start with for around $150.

Richard

Just so I can start planning this... Is this a good package for the PC?

http://www.topoftheline.com/porcabpolpac.html

Comes with:

Porter Cable #7336 Orbital Polisher/Sander with wrench, foam pad/plate combo, sanding disk/sandpaper, #6 counter weight for 6.5" pads and up

6" Velcro Pad Holder

7.5" Lake Country VC Cutting Pad (oxidation and scratch removal)

7.5" Lake Country VC Polishing Pad (swirl removal, polishing, one-step cleaner/waxes)

7.5" Lake Country VC Finishing Pad (liquid or paste wax application)

(2) 6" Terry Bonnets (removing polishes, waxes and cleaning glass, leather, vinyl)

6" Flat Foam Polishing Pad (supports terry bonnets.. not shown in photo)

4" Mini Foam Polishing Pad (polishing in/around constricted areas)

4" Mini Foam Finishing Pad (applying waxes in/around constricted areas)

4" Velcro Pad Holder (for 4" foam pads)

Plus it has the default white glued-down pad (I assume I'd not use this- it's a wood sanding tool, right?) and the #6 counterweight

Price: $189 + $12 shipping

Old 07-26-2006, 11:39 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
So... wait... Now I'm a bit confused again. Are you saying that I can't (or at least shouldn't) use Meguire's chemicals on the Lake Country pads that come in this kit? Wow... I had no idea that this was such a delicate process (glad that I checked first!!)...

Based on your past advice, I had sort of settled on a PC random orbital unit and then I figured I'd go with the Meguire's M80 as a polishing compound and the M21 wax after (based on your comments in a different thread). Are you saying that I should only use Meguire's products on Meguire's pads? If that's the case, should I just buy the PC unit seperately, then look for JUST a Meguire's pad kit (velcro foam back unit plus assoreted pads)?

Being new to all this, I hoped to find a basic kit that would have everything I need, obviously.

EDIT: How about this set, Octane?

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/porter-cable-pads.html

Kit includes:
Porter Cable 7424
2 Orange 5.5 Inch Pads
2 Gray 6.5 Inch Pads
1 DA 5” Flex Backing Plate

Plus, it's $20 cheaper than the other kit! Hey... don't laugh at me... that will cover my chemicals (or at least SOME of them) anyway...

I found this searching for "Meguire's pad kit"- are those the pads you recommend? This kit doesn't seem to have the microfiber bonnets, though. You use those in the final step to remove dust, prior to final hand detailing with a spray and a microfiber hand cloth, right?

Old 07-26-2006, 12:10 PM
OctaneGuy
This is what I would recommend.
http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...20Specials.htm
Package #2 DA Polisher NXT Speed Kit
1 Meguiar's G100 Polisher (Lifetime Warranty)
1 Backing Plate.
2 W8006 Foam Polishing Pad
1 W9006 Foam Finishing Pad
1 X4003 Microfiber Bonnet (2 Pack)
1 Meguiar's Clay Bar (Small)
1 M8032 Speed Glaze 32 oz.
1 G12718 NXT Tech Wax 18 oz. (Comes with 1 Applicator Pad)
1 G13224 NXT Speed Detailer 24 oz.
3 16 x 16 Microfiber Towels
1 Duffel Bag (free)
$219.95

The Meguiar's g100 comes with a no questions asked life time warranty. If it breaks for any reason, Meguiar's will send you a brand new one. And yes, it is a Porter Cable polisher with their name on it. My Porter Cable polisher is 3 years old now, and part of my housing is falling apart. I can probably glue it together, but if I had a g100, I would have sent it back to get a new one.

ADS is a retailer for my DVD, otherwise I have no relations with them other than being a customer.

I'm saying keep things simple. Stick with Meguiars pads and their chemicals. Trust me, if you go another route, when it comes time to ask questions about how to best do something, I'm gonna say..."well it should work, but I don't have experience with that system, so maybe someone else can answer..."

It's not that you CAN'T use Meguiar's products on LC pads. However, since you're learning, I'd say it's best to stick with what is known, and what works, and when you get more experienced and adventurous, try some other pads. Pads by different manufacturers will vary. There is no way for me to say that an LC pad is similar to Meguiar's pad in every circumstance.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:17 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Ah... the Meguire's unit is actually a Porter Cable... I was wondering why you were recommending a different brand after telling me you'd ONLY recommend PC polishers.

That looks like a sweet kit... Clay bar, wax and everything, plus a bag (nice touch). Thanks!

Old 07-26-2006, 12:36 PM
agranger
6th Gear
I use the Sonus polishes and pads sold at Autopia-carcare.com (3 steps of polish and 3 steps of pad, so it's easy enough to keep it all straight), but if you are going to get OctaneGuy's DVD, you can go w/ the polishes and pads used in the DVD and probably save yourself a lot of confusion at the beginning.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:28 PM
KC MCS
3rd Gear
I use the LC (Lake Country) VC (variable contact) pads with my PC and I use exclusively meguiar's cleaners/polishes/waxes.

For me, I really like the LC VC pads - there is a nice added safety having the velcro backing plate recessed down into the pad versus sitting right on top of it, and I like being able to 'roll' the pad over the curves/dips on the bonnet.

Here's a link to a thread I started last month showing the results of my 1st and 2nd go round with the PC (1st being my wife's black Impala SS and 2nd being my CR MCS - you can see pictures of both in the thread).

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=68790

If Meguiar's made VC pads, I would have bought them. Lake Country makes their pads for a lot of different resellers who sell them as their own, but I don't know if they make Meguiar's for them or not.

Good luck! You'll love the PC!

Old 07-26-2006, 07:30 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
while we're on the subject of polishing pads and wax removal bonnets,
my 'wax removal bonnet' is delayed at Griots until end of August.

i have their MF bonnets which i originally bought (and not yet used) to
remove polish. do you think i can use the MF bonnets to remove wax?

what speed should i use? 3-4?

thanks!

Old 07-27-2006, 12:26 AM
OctaneGuy
You can remove wax without a bonnet by using a stiff pad like Meguiar's W-7006 cutting pad, and placing a MF towel on the paint, put the pad in the center, and turn the PC on at speed 5.

The towel will spin, but it will stick to the pad. You now have the benefits of the bonnet without using one.

Richard

Originally Posted by kenchan
while we're on the subject of polishing pads and wax removal bonnets,
my 'wax removal bonnet' is delayed at Griots until end of August.

i have their MF bonnets which i originally bought (and not yet used) to
remove polish. do you think i can use the MF bonnets to remove wax?

what speed should i use? 3-4?

thanks!

Old 07-27-2006, 04:40 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
You now have the benefits of the bonnet without using one.
I usually buff waxes and sealants by hand unless I screwed up and left them on for a bit too long, but the towel technique gives you the added advantage of being able to flip and refold the towel... exposing a clean section of towel much more quickly than changing bonnets.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:39 AM
NoWin
1st Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
In the Meguiar's system, you solve problems by choosing the right chemical. Pads stay mostly contant. You have 3 pad choices, but only 2 are actually used on the paint. The 3rd is used to hold a Microfiber bonnet.
.....With the system you are looking at, your complexity increases by many times. Now it's not just a matter of what chemical to use, it's which pad shall I use. And am I getting the best possible results using this choice?
Eureka! Soooo that's how to figure out the variables in all the products I see available. Excellent description Richard. Thanks!!!!!

Eddie

Old 07-27-2006, 09:40 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
Personally I have autopia ultimate polishing kit $169 that has the SFX-2 pads and polish for swirls, and added the Scratch removal kit $23 for the smaller-sized SFX-1 pad and polish that I use specifically on scratches. It covers the major bases both on pads and polish.

Quick Reply: Question re: Random Orbit Polishers