Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Quasi-Review....ShowCarGarage DVD

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 06:02 PM
paulsminis
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Quasi-Review....ShowCarGarage DVD

I received the ShowCarGarage Detailing DVD on how to detail using the Porter-Cable (PC) random orbital buffer a week or so ago. I ordered it because when I was down at the Dragon in October, I made the mistake of taking my MCS through a car wash that evidently had very dirty brushes. As a result, the car got scratched up more than I would have ever suspected from just one car wash -- there simply were so many scratch marks in the clear coat that I found it hard to believe it came from just one car wash with filthy brushes. This event reinforced the reasons I have always (up to this time) hand washed my vehicles.

After watching part of OCTANEGUY's demo in the parking lot at MOTD 2005, I bought a PC. However, I had not used it, mainly because I was not really comfortable with how to use it. After watching this DVD twice (some parts 3 times!) I went to the garage with a degree of confidence. I clayed the car (I had washed it the night before) and soon had the PC all set up. I masked all the stuff I thought I needed to. As I did three applications of polish, I could hear and see the video in my mind -- each step was repeated on the video to the point even an old duffer like me remembered them clearly. The same thing happened when I did the wax application and buff. The repetition of the instructions in the video certainly hammered them home for me. The techniques demonstrated and talked about certainly work! The products used in the video were not necessarily what I used, but the results were excellent.

While my arms got tired (I am no longer a younger person), I got the roof and bonnet done Tuesday --yesterday I did the other panels. The end result was that my all-BRG MCS looks better than I have ever seen it. The finish is scratch free now and looks ever so much deeper. Next time I do this job, I will not have to take nearly as much time as I did this time. I am by no means an expert now, but I know a whole lot more about how to polish scratches out and apply and buff wax.

I most highly recommend this DVD as a learning/refresher tool of the highest merit -- it made me, a novice at detailing, confident enough to tackle the job--and achieve excellent results1

Paul

Scratch-free all-BRG 2006 MCS
1967 Austin Cooper S
1968 Morris Mini Traveller (Woody) His bonnet got the treatment, too, and now looks better than when it left the paint shop in 1991 -- I just couldn't resist trying out the PC and some polish and wax there when I got done with the 2006)

Old 11-25-2006, 07:53 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Paul!!

Thank you for the nice comments! I'm always happy to hear success stories. Thanks for posting!

Richard

Old 11-25-2006, 08:00 AM
mitchman
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be interested in purchasing the video. Do you have a link?

Is the instruction performed on a Mini?

Old 11-25-2006, 08:24 AM
OctaneGuy
Its in the NAM store

http://store.northamericanmotoring.c...t=0&bestseller

No the instruction is performed on a classic Corvette. The techniques and process are the same. This was my first DVD release finished earlier this year. I've got another one coming out before Christmas on using the more advanced rotary buffer.

In the future (i.e. 2007), I will have a head to toe detail on the MINI, but for now, the most important thing to learn are proper techniques on tools and this is the same no matter what car or paint type you work on.

Richard

Originally Posted by mitchman
I'd be interested in purchasing the video. Do you have a link?

Is the instruction performed on a Mini?

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 11-25-2006 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:28 AM
GoodFinder
4th Gear
Very nice and sounds like a great stocking stuffer idea. I've got to print this thread and leave it lying around the house!

Old 11-25-2006, 08:32 AM
OctaneGuy
Haha, don't wait toooo long. Before you know it Xmas will be here. I just purchased the Cars movie DVD for my son so I wouldn't forget--it arrived yesterday. Now I just gotta remember not to lose it.

Richard

Originally Posted by GoodFinder
Very nice and sounds like a great stocking stuffer idea. I've got to print this thread and leave it lying around the house!

Old 11-25-2006, 08:40 AM
mitchman
5th Gear
Thanks Richard.