Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Do I Need a Porter Cable Polisher?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
I have the California blade too and I like it a lot - I have to use a lot fewer monster fluffies to get Clara dry My current process generally involves a wash, partial dry with the blade, and then Prima Hydro. But it depends on how sunny it is outside when I do it. Some day, when I can get my husband to remove all of his CRAP from the garage, it won't be an issue *sigh*
LOL... Yeah, you need to get that husband of yours to realize that your MINI is more important than his crap!

Just wanted to mention... although the Monster Fluffies work well to dry (and then there's the "fun" factor in using the Monsters!), the Waffle Weave Drying Towel really works better for drying. It's weave pattern is much different and is designed to optimize the microfiber's absorbing abilities. (I know, I know... you recently ordered already! Maybe something for next spring...)

-Heather

Old 12-06-2006, 01:28 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chili Red & Pepper White
I'm with you on the ease of drying with the blade... loved Griot's but both original and the free replacement kept coming out of the gripper. I'm sure I'll be happy with this one.
i use the Griots paint blade on my commuters and i noticed that the
lighter you stroke the better it works. ive not had the foam
come out of the holder.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:22 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe it is operator error then, kenchan. Hard to believe I would have two of them do the same thing when you've not had that problem.

Odd... I normally have a soft touch (at least when it comes to chipping and putting on the golf greens).

Old 12-06-2006, 02:31 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chili Red & Pepper White
Maybe it is operator error then, kenchan. Hard to believe I would have two of them do the same thing when you've not had that problem.

Odd... I normally have a soft touch (at least when it comes to chipping and putting on the golf greens).

maybe you should hot melt the foam into the handle?

Old 12-06-2006, 03:15 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^ You and your hot melting ! Your answer for everything.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:08 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailers Paradise
Just wanted to mention... although the Monster Fluffies work well to dry (and then there's the "fun" factor in using the Monsters!), the Waffle Weave Drying Towel really works better for drying. It's weave pattern is much different and is designed to optimize the microfiber's absorbing abilities. (I know, I know... you recently ordered already! Maybe something for next spring...)
Actually, I ordered the big pack of stuff from Coopersport and it came with one and I just used it and it is grrrrrreat. It was much much easier than using the monster fluffies (as much as I adore them).

Old 12-06-2006, 07:36 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Two waffle weave towels from DP is actually perfect for drying a MINI. I can't dry an entire MINI with one before wringing it out. Not that wringing it out is bad, but as soon as it's wet, it doesn't absorb as much as a dry towel when removing the remaining water spots.

I actually use one waffle weave and one microfiber drying towel--but I would just as quickly use two waffle weave towels for drying.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Stringmaster
2nd Gear
Thanks much for the input. Wrote to the North Pole, requesting DP's PC Bundle, and Octane's DVD--we'll see.....

Old 12-06-2006, 10:32 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We offer a lifetime guarantee on everything we sell. We pay the return shipping in all cases of defect, breakage, etc. The only time the customer has to pay for return shipping is if they just don't want the product or tool.

-Heather
Um Heather, my Slick bottle has a defect and I would like it replaced. Seems that all the Slick is just about gone!

Old 12-07-2006, 09:54 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
I used to use and love the California Water Blade. I'm sure i still have it buried somewhere. The problem is if there is so much as a grain of dirt that may have flown on your car, it is being dragged across the paint. And you still need to use a towel to dry all the crevices and small panels.

It was replaced by The Absorber.

Then by the Mr. Clean Autodry and just letting the car air dry (using the absorber only when I need it dry asap in order to wax)

But now I am back to bucket washing, I still go over once with filtered water from the mr clean, and now use a waffle weave microfiber towel (this one), which is not only just as absorbant as the Absorber, but much softer on the paint so you can actually wipe. And freakin' huge...you can definitely do the whole car with just one. And like others suggested I do pre-wet it with filtered water as I had been doing with the absorber as well.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:13 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jwardell
I used to use and love the California Water Blade. I'm sure i still have it buried somewhere. The problem is if there is so much as a grain of dirt that may have flown on your car, it is being dragged across the paint...
I am thinking of getting a Jelly Blade for pre-drying but I am curious about what you said. To me, if you get a grain of dirt on your Mini, won't the towel drag it across the paint just as bad as the Jelly Blade will

Old 12-07-2006, 10:18 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
Just like your wash mitt, the pile of the fiber lifts dirt away from the surface. With a blade, there's nowhere for it to go.
I have plenty of tiny but long simicircular scratches in my windshield from my wipers doing the same thing.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:22 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jwardell
Just like your wash mitt, the pile of the fiber lifts dirt away from the surface. With a blade, there's nowhere for it to go.
I have plenty of tiny but long simicircular scratches in my windshield from my wipers doing the same thing.
I have one of the Griot's Water Blades, but I don't use it anymore. The first time I tried it, even with a light touch, it left thousands of tiny parallel scratches in the finish. The scratches buffed right out, and I can't say for certain if the scratches were in the clearcoat or just in the surface of the wax, but it was enough for me to go back to towels for drying.

Scott

Old 12-07-2006, 01:51 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Well thanks guys you just saved me wasting 20 bucks on on of those Jelly Blade thingies. I will just stick with my MF waffles

Old 12-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Originally Posted by MiniMaybee
Um Heather, my Slick bottle has a defect and I would like it replaced. Seems that all the Slick is just about gone!
Yeah, I'll bet it has a defect!

By the way, did you get the local e-mailer about this week's holiday open house? Lots of good sales in the retail store... (and a wine tasting tonight!). You can check the website for more details (under Events), but I will give you a tip... come by between 1 and 3 on Saturday if you need more Slick. And that goes for any locals! (sorry, out-of-towners... )

-Heather

Old 12-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
Actually, I ordered the big pack of stuff from Coopersport and it came with one and I just used it and it is grrrrrreat. It was much much easier than using the monster fluffies (as much as I adore them).
Cool beans! I had forgotten you bought the Coopersport Combo so you already have one!

-Heather

Old 12-07-2006, 09:53 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way, did you get the local e-mailer about this week's holiday open house? Lots of good sales in the retail store... (and a wine tasting tonight!). You can check the website for more details (under Events), but I will give you a tip... come by between 1 and 3 on Saturday if you need more Slick. And that goes for any locals! (sorry, out-of-towners... )

-Heather
I did not see this, thanks for the heads-up. Reason #1,467,981 why living in Colorado is better than any place else!
BOGO - So if I buy 100 bottles of Slick I get 100 bottles for free? I'm so there!

Old 12-08-2006, 06:12 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I've found the best way to dry my car is to get the leaf blower out and blow it off. That way nothing is touching the paint. It also has the added effect of getting water out of those nook and crannies that like to drip when you go for a ride.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:24 AM
OctaneGuy
This is good advice for a car that's been previously waxed. However if the water doesn't bead because you haven't waxed it in 6 months or more, you will have a much harder time trying to blow the water off.

Compressed air also works if anyone has an air tank. I use a small 2.5 gallon pancake compressor. It's really too small for home use---the motor is always on filling up the tank so it's loud and vibrates a lot but it only cost me $30 from Kragen.

Richard
Originally Posted by THE ITCH
I've found the best way to dry my car is to get the leaf blower out and blow it off. That way nothing is touching the paint. It also has the added effect of getting water out of those nook and crannies that like to drip when you go for a ride.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:57 AM
Stringmaster
2nd Gear
Update:
Got Octane's video for Christmas--it's all it's cracked up to be!! Honestly, I was expecting it to take me several days (or weeks) to get through 2 1/2 hours of car detailing video--but I ended up watching the whole thing in one morning! It holds your interest long enough to do so.

Now need to pick up the PC, pads, product, etc.
Thanks again, Dana

Old 12-28-2006, 04:50 PM
OctaneGuy
Woohoo another happy customer! Thanks for the kind words. Glad you liked the DVD.

Richard

Originally Posted by Stringmaster
Update:
Got Octane's video for Christmas--it's all it's cracked up to be!! Honestly, I was expecting it to take me several days (or weeks) to get through 2 1/2 hours of car detailing video--but I ended up watching the whole thing in one morning! It hold your interest long enough to do so.

Now need to pick up the PC, pads, product, etc.
Thanks again, Dana

Old 12-29-2006, 08:43 AM
S Curvz
6th Gear

By the way, did you get the local e-mailer about this week's holiday open house? Lots of good sales in the retail store... (and a wine tasting tonight!).

-Heather
Can i get my wine shipped with the next order. I cant believe i missed this post!

Old 12-30-2006, 09:46 AM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
If you plan on only using the PC for waxing, you should think about the time saving of the PC versus having to do more masking. When I wax by hand, I mask where paint and trim meet. With a PC, you'd have to mask more in case any wax flies off the pad. Example: I mask with one piece of tape between my wheel arches and the paint. If I'd use a PC, I'd have to cover the entire arch and maybe even the tires just to be safe.

I plan on getting a PC soon but just thought I'd mention this ...

Old 12-30-2006, 02:27 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bamatt
Well thanks guys you just saved me wasting 20 bucks on on of those Jelly Blade thingies. I will just stick with my MF waffles
I'm using a jelly blade and LOVE IT. So far no scratches/spiderwebs that I can see from using it. I'm meticulously clean with it and rinse and inspect it before each use. But it's nice to be able to push off most of the water (including from my cabrio top) and then finish up with the MF waffle... I may someday have a scratching experience and regret all this - but so far so good...

Old 12-30-2006, 02:29 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Woohoo another happy customer! Thanks for the kind words. Glad you liked the DVD.

Richard
Dittos. It does truly rock. Even though it looks like the lense was dirty for some of the shots... (tsk, tsk, tsk).

I also watched it in a single sitting (FFing through a few repetitive things - I only need to see someone buff off wax ONCE - but I know there are others who need the remedial buffing examples). And it was INVALUABLE in preparing me to use my new PC on my project van (as well as proper technique for claying, and hand polishing with ScratchX, and all kinds of other great tips).

Well worth the money!

Quick Reply: Do I Need a Porter Cable Polisher?