Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Do I Need a Porter Cable Polisher?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 09:34 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haha yeah that old wide angle lens I used not only flared like mad--no provisions for flagging or shading the lens--but it was dirty. Something the newest DVD doesn't suffer from because it was mostly shot indoors--and I paid more attention to lighting.

Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Dittos. It does truly rock. Even though it looks like the lense was dirty for some of the shots... (tsk, tsk, tsk).

I also watched it in a single sitting (FFing through a few repetitive things - I only need to see someone buff off wax ONCE - but I know there are others who need the remedial buffing examples). And it was INVALUABLE in preparing me to use my new PC on my project van (as well as proper technique for claying, and hand polishing with ScratchX, and all kinds of other great tips).

Well worth the money!
When I use the PC on the MINI, I use one piece of 1" tape on the arches. I use it to seal the gap between the arches and the paint. When I'm only buffing with the PC, splatter is much more easily controlled versus using the rotary buffer, so I don't cover the wheels. Of course my DVD shows how to do this as well using newspaper.

Before I polish my car, I clean and dress the tires, so the dressing has time to dry as well as making it easier to wipe off any splatter that does get on them---but it's very rare.

Like on this GP, of course the dealer applied a plastic dressing preventing my tape from sticking, so I adjusted the tape more on the paint than the plastic.

Originally Posted by rwkeating
If you plan on only using the PC for waxing, you should think about the time saving of the PC versus having to do more masking. When I wax by hand, I mask where paint and trim meet. With a PC, you'd have to mask more in case any wax flies off the pad. Example: I mask with one piece of tape between my wheel arches and the paint. If I'd use a PC, I'd have to cover the entire arch and maybe even the tires just to be safe.

I plan on getting a PC soon but just thought I'd mention this ...

Old 12-30-2006, 09:39 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ that's wat i had to do on my car too... had to tape the paint by about
1.5mm, not the fender arch themselves as my dressing preventing the
blue from sticking.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:35 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woohoo I just ordered a PC & I got it for only $108. I have been thinking about ordering one & Autopia had 15% coupon code for everything until 1/31. Well I just went to order one fully expecting to get 15% off but I got a really nice surprise...they had marked the PCs down from $149 to $127 plus I got 15% off.
Woohoo I love finding a killer bargain