Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Of Simple Green and Garden Sprayers - engine bay cleaning questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007 | 07:32 AM
ImagoX
|
6th Gear
Of Simple Green and Garden Sprayers - engine bay cleaning questions...

1. Is SImple Green non-petrolium based and/or safe for all the rubber hoses and such under the bonnet? Seems to be favored here as a degreaser, but is there something better?

2. Garden sprayers - anything special I need to know? I was looking at this one, available at Lowe's:

My assumption is that I can mix up my Simple Green cleaning solution right in the tank, correct?

3. Has anyone used an after-cleaning sealent like Sonus Trim and Motor Kote? I'm looking for something for the engine AND the painted metal parts that always seem to accumulate so much grime.

Last, I'll cover the spark plug wires, the CAI and the intakes with foil before I spray, but I know that someone (Richard probably - I've asked him so many questions) said that there's something down LOW that needs to be covered as well... Does anyone know what else should be protected from the garden sprayer water?

Thanks guys!

Old 04-24-2007 | 10:31 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
I don't know about the sprayer. But I too use simplegreen for degreasing, and engine bay cleaning. I'd prefer to wipe or brush on anything in the engine bay, spraying in there makes me nervous.

I have the Sonus Motor Kote but I have never been able to get a good application with it. It always looks like something was sprayed on, unevenly. I don't know if I'm using too much, or too little. But it's tough to control when you only want to spray certain components. I've heard of better opinions of other products which I have yet to tray, I'll let others recommend them.

Old 04-24-2007 | 01:22 PM
ImagoX
|
6th Gear
Well the sprayer was only like $16 so I grabbed it along with a gallon of Simple Green concentrate and a scrubbing brush. I'll hold off on the Motor Kote until others chime in - I can just use DP Nero on all the plastic and rubber bits in the meantime, I'm sure.

QUESION: I can hose off the intercooler and radiator with Simple Green and water, right?

Old 04-24-2007 | 01:37 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Simple Green works great for a lot of things, but in the engine bay, it's not something I use.

I use Meguiar's APC for degreasing and then rinse it off with the bug sprayer and dress with Meguiar's Hyperdressing which makes everything look new again. With it's extremely high flash point, you don't have to worry about it causing any fires.

Richard

Old 04-24-2007 | 02:19 PM
SEAL6
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Simple Green works great for a lot of things, but in the engine bay, it's not something I use.

I use Meguiar's APC for degreasing and then rinse it off with the bug sprayer and dress with Meguiar's Hyperdressing which makes everything look new again. With it's extremely high flash point, you don't have to worry about it causing any fires.

Richard
So Richard, what areas of the engine would you cover up as you are sparying it down with the sprayer?

And do with the Hyperdressing, do you just spray it on and wipe off the excess?

Old 04-24-2007 | 02:30 PM
OctaneGuy
I forgot to mention, I also use car wash soap.

Because the bug sprayer is very low pressure, I can spray it where I want to without fear of blasting any of the seals. The obvious openings are the alternator and the engine intake.

I might just throw a towel over them instead of trying to seal them--just to prevent any water from splashing.

I use a variety of soft brushes to get to the various hoses and engine areas and use the sprayer to rinse off the areas as I brush.

As for HD, just spritz it on, and wipe it dry with a clean towel, or let it air dry if you like a shiny look.

Shouldn't take longer than 20 minutes to clean and dress the engine bay. Notice I didn't say "detail" since you can spend as long as you want to get at all the nooks.
Originally Posted by SEAL6
So Richard, what areas of the engine would you cover up as you are sparying it down with the sprayer?

And do with the Hyperdressing, do you just spray it on and wipe off the excess?

Old 04-25-2007 | 05:02 AM
TooTall
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jwardell
I have the Sonus Motor Kote but I have never been able to get a good application with it. It always looks like something was sprayed on, unevenly.
x2. It really gooed up my engine compartment, I'm sorry I ever tried it.

Old 04-25-2007 | 09:09 AM
ImagoX
|
6th Gear

Richard
At what dilutions, Richard?

I grabbed a gallon of Simple Green when I got the sprayer and will use it this time (have to look good for the Dragon after all) but I'll see about the APC and Hyperdressing for the next - thanks!

Are they both "order only" items? I don't remember seeing wither for sale at anyplace local.

Old 04-25-2007 | 03:27 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Matt I mix a little SimpleGreen & water in a pump sprayer at 50/50 dilution. First I wet the engine bay down then give it a spritz. Let it sit for 5 minutes & rinse her off with water. I don't use a very hard stream, just flow it over the bay to remove the SimpleGreen. I do this twice a year to all my cars & they stay looking sharp. I hate dirty engine bays.

Old 04-25-2007 | 05:33 PM
OctaneGuy
APC's recommended dilution are 4:1 or 10:1. I usually use 4:1 for just about everything. For those that aren't familiar with the Meguiar's Professional dilution ratios, the products come in gallon jugs and you dilute them in Meguiar's spray bottles. APC (All Purpose Cleaner) has markings for 4:1 and 10:1. That is, 4 parts water, one part APC. It's as simple as filling it to the line with water, then filling it to the next line with APC.

By using dilution ratios, you can adjust the strength of the product, but it also means that a gallon jug really lasts a long time because you are never using it full strength! Even Last Touch quick detailer is 1:1, or 1 part LT, 1 part water--so a gallon jug yields 2 gallons of product!

The only places you will find Meguiar's professional products are at stores that cater to the professional market--you won't find them at Pep Boys, etc.. well they do carry some pro products, but not the ones mentioned here.

So yes, either order online or find a local body shop and see if they can point you to the nearest PBE (Paint Body and Equipment) store which should sell the Meguiar's Pro stuff.

Since you're not local to me, I can't recommend stopping by my shop. LOL.

Richard

Originally Posted by ImagoX
At what dilutions, Richard?

I grabbed a gallon of Simple Green when I got the sprayer and will use it this time (have to look good for the Dragon after all) but I'll see about the APC and Hyperdressing for the next - thanks!

Are they both "order only" items? I don't remember seeing wither for sale at anyplace local.

Old 04-26-2007 | 07:55 AM
ImagoX
|
6th Gear
Since you're not local to me, I can't recommend stopping by my shop. LOL.

Richard
Hey man - I'll be at MOTD in a few weeks... Can you bring me some APC and Hyper and I can buy it from you there? PM me with the totals and I'll just pay you down there if that's OK.

Old 04-26-2007 | 08:11 AM
OctaneGuy
Hmm, I don't know about you, but I'll be at MOTD next week. In a few weeks, I'll be back at work.

Actually if I were driving I would, but since I'm flying--we're talking about 18 pounds of carryon luggage--space is already at a premium with my VacuCams and SCD goodies and power tools.

Richard

Hey man - I'll be at MOTD in a few weeks... Can you bring me some APC and Hyper and I can buy it from you there? PM me with the totals and I'll just pay you down there if that's OK.

Old 04-26-2007 | 08:15 AM
ImagoX
|
6th Gear
I gotcha... Oh, well... Time to start asking around (or just bite the bullet and pay shipping).

Old 04-27-2007 | 09:15 AM
ImagoX
|
6th Gear
I cleaned up the bay last night... Simple Green really helped cut thrugh the grime, and the use of a small brush (an old toothbrush) did the rest.

I did have one issue... I was cleaning the passenger side strut tower and hit some coating or something on the painted parts... the driver's side did not seem to have it. Whatever's on there sort of turned pale and showed the marks from my brush pretty obviously, so I stopped cleaning immeduiately. Doesn't feel like creosote or some other protectant, and there's none on the driver's side anyway.

Anyone have any idea what that might be? I can take a pic if people aren't understanding what I'm talking about. I'm hoping that Richard or someone else will know what I'm running into.

Thanks!

PS - aluminum foil makes a GREAT protectant for the plug wires, the coils and the cold air intake. I also covered up my custom fuse box (placed just aft of the CAI) , just on general principal. The foil molds tight to the parts you want protected and is easy to get on and take off, obviously.

Last edited by ImagoX; 04-27-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-02-2007 | 11:52 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
I did my pre-MOTD engine bay cleaning today - I used AutoGlym engine and machine cleaner that I had bought several months back - just spray on, agitate with a soft bristle paint brush, rinse. Seemed to work very well - I could eat of everything in there. It seems to dry out the plastics a bit - but I wiped them down with 303 protectant and all looks better than new now...

Old 05-02-2007 | 09:27 PM
minimk3
3rd Gear
I cleaned up the bay last night... Simple Green really helped cut thrugh the grime, and the use of a small brush (an old toothbrush) did the rest.

I did have one issue... I was cleaning the passenger side strut tower and hit some coating or something on the painted parts... the driver's side did not seem to have it. Whatever's on there sort of turned pale and showed the marks from my brush pretty obviously, so I stopped cleaning immeduiately. Doesn't feel like creosote or some other protectant, and there's none on the driver's side anyway.

Anyone have any idea what that might be? I can take a pic if people aren't understanding what I'm talking about. I'm hoping that Richard or someone else will know what I'm running into.

Thanks!

PS - aluminum foil makes a GREAT protectant for the plug wires, the coils and the cold air intake. I also covered up my custom fuse box (placed just aft of the CAI) , just on general principal. The foil molds tight to the parts you want protected and is easy to get on and take off, obviously.
It might be cosmoline remnants. it's the protective coating the factory spray on the whole car before they ship it. I have some of these stuff in the engine bay area as well.

I also need advise on how to remove it.

Old 05-03-2007 | 04:33 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimk3
It might be cosmoline remnants. it's the protective coating the factory spray on the whole car before they ship it. I have some of these stuff in the engine bay area as well.

I also need advise on how to remove it.
The AutoGlym did a pretty good job cutting through my dried cosmoline. It softened it considerably - and with a stiff brush or a fingernail it came right off. I still have some spots I need to work on... but it's much better...

Old 05-04-2007 | 08:04 AM
minimk3
3rd Gear
Thanks Blimey, I need to order autoglym right away!