Driver's School Discuss tips, techniques, and schools for enhancing the driver portion of the performance driving equation.

Phil Wick's Mini Driving Academy...Reviewed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 02:05 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Phil Wick's Mini Driving Academy...Reviewed.

I just returned from a two day session in Savanah, GA about an hour ago and wanted to give my opinion for those that were thinking of taking a class.

I went into the class with an Intermediate skill level simply because I had taken 3 levels of Keith Code's California Superbike school and the advanced level of Kevin Schwantz Suzuki school in Road Atlanta.

By no means did that make me a racer but over the last 5 years of being on the track on a sportbike, at least I knew how to find the line I needed to take.

Having said that, Phil Wick's school is definitely something I'd recommend. I've heard of some classes that didn't get 1-1 teacher/student ratio but we had a small class and except for 1 person, each student spent 20 minutes with their own instructor.

Between the instructor on the track and the instructor in the classroom, they will teach you how to get yourself familiar with the car, what lines to follow, the hows and whys in the mechanical sense so you know what happens when you apply the brakes too soon or too late, what happens if you don't have the right entrance speed into a turn and what happens when you try to incorrectly set yourself up for the next turn.

We all used our own cars so each person was already familiar with their personal vehicle (except the couple of cars that still had temporary plates on them....lol)

Phil Wicks and his wife are TERRIFIC people, very knowledgeable, very friendly and will take the time to answer any questions you have.

The instructors are all very experienced and truly make an effort to further your driving experience while making sure it is all done in fun.

There were many people that had never been to a track and if you've never been, it can be intimidating and a sensory overload when trying to negotiate turns with half a dozen people around you.

Phil and his instructors take the time to ensure you will learn to drive better, safer and still have fun.

The event was sponsored by Mini of Charleston and the executive General Manager, Brad David was there with some of his employees.

Brad was very cool, very nice and VERY knowledgable... definitely a hands-on person. I was lucky enough to have him as a ride along instructor. Because he races also, the knowledge, pride and enjoyment of his involvement with Mini is genuine. He's not there to push sales, he was there because of his love affair with the car and racing.... a truly genuine guy.

I had the opportunity to meet Chad. I may have his position labelled incorrectly but I believe he is their head Mini tech. Another guy that is very knowledgeable and helpful. I love the fact that he definitely thinks out of the box. He's one of those guys that will build what isn't said to be possible and make it work.... definitely someone who I'd want working on my own car.

Though this wasn't my first, third or tenth forum/car event that I've gone to because I was able to find it through the forum I was presently on (Sportbike forum->Corvette forum->Hummer forum->Miata forum->Mini forum)

I can say without a doubt it was the best. All the mini people (even the large ones too...lol) were extremely cool, the event was great and very beneficial and I really got to meet some fantastic people.

So if anyone is even thinking of going to the school, it was definitely worth the money.

Mark

PS. I do have one piece of advice though.... watch the original (I didn't even know there was one) Italian Job..... then you'll know a little more about Phil

PSS. If an instructor named Dimitri offers you a ride on the track, seriously and I do mean seriously, take a change of underwear with you when you go. That guy is unbelieveably fast and good on the track. (of course, compared to me...everyone was )

Old 08-12-2008, 01:45 PM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mark,

Thanks man, I had a great time out there and nice to meet ya..I see that Brad got your text, but just in case send me a PM with your last seven digits(2 letters and 5 numbers). Sorry to see ya leave early, I know you had a long drive though. Bruce has my # if you need it. Nice review BTW.

Chad

Old 08-12-2008, 03:06 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problem Chad, I call 'em like I see 'em. You guys are great. In fact, today I ordered a set of JCW springs from your dealership.

Now, if I can just get Brad to pull some strings and get me that JCW Stage I, I'd be thrilled.

Thanks again, it was a pleasure meeting ya'll.

Mark

Old 08-12-2008, 07:26 PM
SSCRacer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark - Thanks for the kind comments! I've got almost 40years in the car business and never had as much fun with any franchise as I do with MINI. The people and the cars are a blast!

Brad