Driver's School Discuss tips, techniques, and schools for enhancing the driver portion of the performance driving equation.

SCDA HPDE Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 06:57 AM
gkp
5th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
That sort of mayhem is the reason that I run in the Advanced group. Yes I have had an issue or two, but nothing like I have experienced over the years when I have tried the I2 group. Frankly, the I2 group scares me...
GKP - you need to join me in the Advanced group. Those lap times will put you as quick as a lot of cars out there. And most know how to “drive”. Not sure if I’ll be able to keep up, but I will surely try...
I don't know. Now that SCDA has combined Advanced and Instructors into one group, I think a lot of laps might be compromised by having to point by and lift. In I2 I can almost always find open road to experiment and play around without keeping a constant eye out for cars suddenly catching up from behind. Maybe I'll give it a try next year and see how it goes.

Old 10-12-2022, 07:15 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
Congrats on those lap times! Just imagine what you could do on a set of R-comps😁

Old 10-12-2022, 09:07 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by gkp
I don't know. Now that SCDA has combined Advanced and Instructors into one group, I think a lot of laps might be compromised by having to point by and lift. In I2 I can almost always find open road to experiment and play around without keeping a constant eye out for cars suddenly catching up from behind. Maybe I'll give it a try next year and see how it goes.
I have not particularly been held up by needing to point by many cars. Typically I find that after a few minutes the traffic sorts itself out, the faster cars get ahead of me and rarely lap me, so I tend to have a lot of open track once that happens. Mostly I get slowed up by slower cars that I want to pass. As for adding in instructors, can I assume that happened before my last event there? If it did, I didn’t notice any real difference. As it is, most people are lapping about the times you have; that is a really quick time. I expect if you try the advance group, you will have a fun time.

Old 10-13-2022, 04:54 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Here is a Link to a short article about LRP. It, however, leaves out all of the fun stuff like the fighting with the town who wants to shut it down over noise and a fun factoid that it was into the ‘70s before a lap time of 1 minute was broken (Sam Posey in a Porsche turbo, I think). This was after all of the ‘60 TransAm racing went through there and I always thought of those Camaros and Mustangs as being fast...

Last edited by Eddie07S; 10-13-2022 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Fix typo
Old 10-14-2022, 06:28 AM
gkp
5th Gear
Here is a Link to a short article about LRP. It, however, leaves out all of the fun stuff like the fighting with the town who wants to shut it down over noise and a fun factoid that it was into the ‘70s before a lap time of 1 minute was broken (Sam Posey in a Porsche turbo, I think). This was after all of the ‘60 TransAm racing went through there and I always thought of those Camaros and Mustangs as being fast...
Nice. I can't wrap my head around a 43-second lap time. I have a book on the history of LRP should anyone want to borrow it.

Old 10-14-2022, 06:51 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
43 sec around LRP... Nerves of steels and really big somethings...
And that was how long ago? And that was done without all of the fancy wizardry of today’s cars. And has yet to been broken... Crazy!

Old 10-15-2022, 05:53 AM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Different layout…..likely will never be broken.

Old 10-18-2022, 08:41 AM
gkp
5th Gear
Given the weather forecast, yesterday at Palmer was better than expected. Sessions 1-3 were dry, session #4 was medium/heavy rain and, while it wasn't raining for session #5, the track was quite wet since drainage is not a strong point of the track. The forecast scared away many of those signed up, and the midday rain sent others home. By session #5, there were only FOUR of us on track. I never drove Palmer CCW in the wet and I am here to tell you that flying down the mountain in the rain, heading for the turn 1 brake zone and blind apex, is . As advertised, the Bridgestones are solid in the rain. Not as fidgety as the Falkens were and gave ample warning when ready to slide, as they did in the downhill hairpin turn 7. The high point of the day? The foliage! I thought the year was done, then saw the forecast for Saturday and signed up for LRP. Stretching it out as long as I can since I didn't get started this year until July.

Old 10-18-2022, 08:49 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Great minds think alike! I signed up for Lime Rock as well. See you Saturday 👍

Old 10-18-2022, 01:27 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
That foliage is spectacular!

You sound like you are really liking the new ‘Stones. I appreciate the reviews.

It is crazy that the ‘Stones are that much better in the rain than the Falkens, but the proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes. I knew the original version of the ‘Stones was better, too. It must come down to the rubber compound, as it surely isn’t the tread pattern. I would never pick the new ‘Stone or the Yokohama A052 as being a better pattern for the wet. Glad you got to do an in depth review of them in the wet....

Hey - Enjoy LRP!

Old 10-19-2022, 06:18 AM
gkp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by veggivet
Great minds think alike! I signed up for Lime Rock as well. See you Saturday 👍
Cool! I'll be parked closer than usual to turn 2. Maria and my sister will be driving up and I want to make sure there's room for them to park next to me.

Old 10-19-2022, 06:26 AM
gkp
5th Gear
That foliage is spectacular! It is crazy that the ‘Stones are that much better in the rain than the Falkens, but the proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes. I knew the original version of the ‘Stones was better, too. It must come down to the rubber compound, as it surely isn’t the tread pattern. I would never pick the new ‘Stone or the Yokohama A052 as being a better pattern for the wet. Glad you got to do an in depth review of them in the wet....
Take anything I say with a grain of salt. I only ran the Falkens in the wet once, and I remember them being fidgety. The Bridgestones were definitely more planted. That about as 'in-depth' as my review is. One thing I forgot to mention earlier -- On the drive up to Palmer, at highway speeds, I realized that the Bridgestones are the LOUDEST tires I have ever had on the Mini. Between the engine drone and tire noise, my head was exploding.

Old 10-24-2022, 06:45 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Saturday was a gorgeous day! Good to get to see VV and gkp at LRP... and meet family. My wife throughly enjoyed being there and seeing everyone.

VV hope you make out ok with the wheel bolt. Sure you will.

And gkp - I had an epiphany about your tire pressure issue. You said that you knocked a second off your lap time with those tires. So, you are going faster and putting more load on the tires, especially the left front. So the tire pressure rise you are seeing is only a result of that. Nothing else. You are just driving too fast... Slow down...

Old 10-24-2022, 09:35 AM
gkp
5th Gear
And gkp - I had an epiphany about your tire pressure issue. You said that you knocked a second off your lap time with those tires. So, you are going faster and putting more load on the tires, especially the left front. So the tire pressure rise you are seeing is only a result of that. Nothing else. You are just driving too fast... Slow down...
That occurred to me, too (not the "slow down" part). It was good to see you, your wife and VV, for whom I sympathized. Missing out on a bonus day like that with a mechanical problem, at the end of the season, sucks. You both missed my Moment of the Day — one of dumbest moves I've seen on track. I was on top of a BMW going into Newman Straight, setting myself up for a point-by by being offset a bit to the right. Suddenly, he swerves right, cuts me off, and gives me a point-by to the LEFT! I told Matt when I came in but it was the end of the day and I don't think they spoke to him. Nevertheless, I am going to send the video the Elivan. You may be right, Eddie07S, time to run in the advanced group. This year I ran into far too many wrong-side point-bys and other incidents. Have a good winter, boys.
NOTE: I tried to attach the video. It's only 8MB but the post won't take it, not sure why.

Old 10-24-2022, 11:49 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Yikes! I guess he didn't hear the part about staying on line and pointing by to the inside of the next corner...😳 Glad no contact was involved. It was great seeing everybody, though I would've wanted a little more time on the track!😉 On top of the lug nut issue, the dreaded check engine lit up on the drive home and the code is P1237. Car is put away for the winter, so I guess I'll deal with all of the issues next spring, or just sell it to a track person who can do the work without a mechanic.

Old 10-24-2022, 01:29 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Yes! Good there was no contact. That is not a good place to lose control of a car.

I would say the Advanced group lessens the issues and the drivers tend to be more predicable. Not all are eliminated. Like having someone drop off the throttle half way up the up hill... and I was gaining on him before he did that. My car length behind him went to almost zero in no time...

I have only ever been able to upload video to YouTube and then link to it here on NAM. I have never gotten a video to up load here directly.

VV - Don’t give up on your beautiful car! Surely it is fixable. It will just take some time... And money...

Old 10-24-2022, 01:34 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by veggivet
Yikes! I guess he didn't hear the part about staying on line and pointing by to the inside of the next corner...😳 Glad no contact was involved. It was great seeing everybody, though I would've wanted a little more time on the track!😉 On top of the lug nut issue, the dreaded check engine lit up on the drive home and the code is P1237. Car is put away for the winter, so I guess I'll deal with all of the issues next spring, or just sell it to a track person who can do the work without a mechanic.
Code 1237 looks like it may be a simple fix:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...de-solved.html

Old 11-29-2022, 05:26 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Happy after Thanksgiving to everyone....

I see SCDA has a sale going on... 3 day pass for $200 off... An early Xmas present for someone.

Hope everyone is well and looking foreword to the upcoming holidays.

Take care and motor on!

Old 11-30-2022, 09:03 AM
gkp
5th Gear
Happy after Thanksgiving to everyone....

I see SCDA has a sale going on... 3 day pass for $200 off... An early Xmas present for someone.

Hope everyone is well and looking foreword to the upcoming holidays.

Take care and motor on!
I took a 5-day pass for $1699.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:09 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Go You!

Let’s see... 2 days at Club Motorsport, 2 at WGI and 1 at LRP.... See how easy that was to spend...

Hope to see you out there.

Old 03-25-2023, 04:18 PM
gkp
5th Gear
Go You! Let’s see... 2 days at Club Motorsport, 2 at WGI and 1 at LRP.... See how easy that was to spend... Hope to see you out there.
Brake work done, oil changed and I'm ready for another season. Probably registering for 4/17 at LRP. All the Club Motorsports events are one-day. As much as I want to drive the track, it's a lo-n-n-n-n-n-g drive for one day. Damn!

Old 03-26-2023, 01:31 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
I’m still skiing

Need to get Gray MINI finish. Started to put in new springs, shocks and camber plates last fall. Didn’t get very far.

Maybe I’ll get out in May.

Have fun.

Old 03-27-2023, 03:22 PM
gkp
5th Gear
Eddie 07S, VeggieVet, S-Driver and gbuff1:
Have any of you driven VIR and/or Pittsburgh? Which one do you think would be the most fun for a Mini? I really want to do a two-day event at a new track this year. Club Motorsports was on my radar, but Elivan said two-day events there didn't work out financially last year.

Old 03-28-2023, 07:10 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Done neither.

Personally I have had my eye on VIR, mostly because it is iconic, like WGI. Unlike WGI, VIR has more turns which would suit a MINI better than WGI.

That said, I think PIT is more of a MINI track from what I remember hearing. 2.8 miles and how many turns? Not much time going straight.

In the end, I think either will be a couple of great days of driving.

My thought has been to rent a U-haul truck (small panel truck) and car trailer. Bring extra tires, brakes, etc., and keep the road miles down on the MINI.

Old 03-28-2023, 08:58 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Been to PIT many times. Large track is more of a high speeds track (north). Its good for MINI in those two big turns. The MINI people tend to run that track but then go to the main skid pad for autoX.

Have not been to the newer portion yet.

https://www.pittrace.com/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Quick Reply: SCDA HPDE Schedule