Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Dinan dealers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 01:51 PM
cooper8168
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dinan dealers, etc.

Hi,

To coin a phrase, long-time listener, first-time caller. Thanks for all the great insight!

I am about to upgrade my '06 MCS Cab. Right now, my plan is to do the Dinan S1 package (as much as can be done on the Cab), plus the Boost kit, associated software, strut-tower brace and rear sway. I have been lurking here for a number of months but I still have a few questions:

1) Does anyone know if Dinan's dealers are networked? IOW - if I get the stuff installed at a Dinan-affiliated Mini dealer, have an issue and want to have it remedied at an independent Dinan shop, does that jibe with Dinan? Or do I have to take it back to the original dealer of purchase?

2) On a similar note, does anyone have experience with specific Dinan shops here in So Cal? I will most likely get the kit installed at Crevier Mini just because of the Mini connection, but if it makes no difference and I can get it installed at one of the independent shops closer to me in Pasadena, I may do it.

3) Does anyone know of any club discounts currently going on for purchase of Dinan gear?

4) I am extremely keen on taking a holistic approach with regard to my upgrades. I don't want to do it piecemeal and definitely want the expertise of one established tuner. This is the primary reason I am choosing Dinan, followed not so closely by the dealer affiliation as it relates to repairs. Warranty is of minor importance and I understand the pitfalls of going Dinan vs going fully-warranted JCW.

That said, my one concern about the Dinan kit is the exhaust. Based on what I have read here, it seems like the Milltek might be the better system for me, but as I said, integration ultimately is key. This car, after all, will primarily be a daily driver. It will never be tracked (well, never say never, but I already have a track car!). The reason I am concerned mostly has to do with sound - I want something that sounds as close to stock as possible, but still gives me as much gain as possible. Perhaps I misread, but I've gathered that the Milltek cat-back is quiter than the bolt-on Dinan. Am I wrong?

Has anyone with a Cab done essentially the same upgrades I will be doing, but did Milltek as opposed to Dinan for the exhaust? Does the Dinan exhaust even fit the Cab?

Apologies for the long post! First-timer and all. They'll no doubt shorten as I spend more time here.

Chris

Old 06-04-2007, 01:54 PM
mikeg4572
5th Gear
check out http://www.miniworks.com/

They have Dinan stuff

Old 06-04-2007, 02:10 PM
cooper8168
4th Gear
Thanks. Actually need a dealer in So Cal that will also do the install.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:19 PM
MPETUOS
2nd Gear
3) Does anyone know of any club discounts currently going on for purchase of Dinan gear?
My Dealership offers a 10% Discount to any BMWCCA member. Might be worth a few dollars to check with your dealership and according to the BMWCCA you can join owning ANY car.

That said, my one concern about the Dinan kit is the exhaust.
I love the sound of my Dinan Exhaust, but it is being replaced under warrenty due to possible corrosion on the exhaust tips. Hasn't happened yet, but Dinan has had some issues with the tips. Also, the exhaust is a one ball type with a 1 into 2 setup, and the carbon will darken the left exhaust tip in a mile or two and leave the right tip relativly clean. INHO, i think Dinan should powder coat the inside of both tips black. Cheap camoflauge.

Good luck with your mods Chris!!

Old 06-04-2007, 02:37 PM
cooper8168
4th Gear
... according to the BMWCCA you can join owning ANY car.
Even so, lucky me. Wife owns a Bimmer. Thanks for the tip (the one about the discount, not the corroded one)!

Old 06-04-2007, 03:48 PM
tatooweeny
2nd Gear
My dealer says that thet contacted Dinan and that they 'Might' replace my exhaust! Doesn't sound right to me...