Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Advice needed on my Clutchmaster fx3oo clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 08:36 AM
fozworth
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice needed on my Clutchmaster fx3oo clutch

I have just installed a new fx300 performance clutch from Clutch Master.Im also using a fidenza flywheel with a new friction plate.
The problem /query i have is when i accelerate hard and go up through the gears it seems that the clutch is dragging and not coming off instantly.I was told by a guy over here in the UK that runs a Performance mini shop that with the fx300 its desighned in a way that you dont have to press the clutch pedal to the floor apon changing gear and instad you only need to depress slightly,which is ment to allow quicker changes.
He said as ive been depressing the clutch pedal fully, what its actualy doing is going beyond the required point of disengadging and thus doing the whole process twice,where as if i only depressed the clutch slightly it would disengadge once and not drag.
Does this all make sence and is it correct with these clutches?
Im off to try it out although its wet outside.
Also i have only done 150 miles on my new clutch and flywheel so i cant thrash it to much as its still bedding in apparently.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I had a Clutch Masters Stage 3 clutch and UUC flywheel [which is made by Fidanza] in my old R53. The clutch engagement was much crisper than stock, with very little increase in pedal effort. The release/engagement point was right in the middle of the clutch pedal travel.

Are you sure you didn't install the clutch disk backwards? I had to look at the stock clutch assembly to ensure I was installing mine in the correct orientation. I didn't experience any strangeness whatsoever during the clutch's break-in process. It was a fantastic clutch and I recommend it to anyone that has plans of up to 300Lb-Ft for their MINI. It certainly wasnt' a cakewalk to drive it around town, but it was still streetable, IMO.

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 06-18-2007, 09:44 AM
fozworth
4th Gear
No mate i recon its the correct way round,I checked my old helix clutch before fitting this one and it was marked showing flywheel side so we fitted this the same way.It bites about in the middle but i just noticed on hard aceleration that it dragged a little going up through the gears ,but as Jan from Revolution mini said i need to allow 500 miles bedding in time and ive only done about 150 so hopefuly i havent glazed it and hopefuly it will bed in better.I've realy only been around town in it and havent driven hard so im hoping it will turn out ok.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:15 AM
supercoopers
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by fozworth
No mate i recon its the correct way round,I checked my old helix clutch before fitting this one and it was marked showing flywheel side so we fitted this the same way.It bites about in the middle but i just noticed on hard aceleration that it dragged a little going up through the gears ,but as Jan from Revolution mini said i need to allow 500 miles bedding in time and ive only done about 150 so hopefuly i havent glazed it and hopefuly it will bed in better.I've realy only been around town in it and havent driven hard so im hoping it will turn out ok.
Did you reface the flywheel before installation?

Old 06-18-2007, 11:40 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SC, he said "Using a fidenza flywheel with a new friction plate."

Old 06-18-2007, 12:23 PM
fozworth
4th Gear
Just have to hope i havent driven it to hard before the clutch plate has bedded in.I have only realy driven around town with the odd blip of the throttle but not what i would consider hard driving.But on accelerating hard and like when taking a slip road onto a motorway/freeway it seems to drag/slip from 3rd to 4th.But i hope this stops when i get about 500 miles on it and if i just take it steady until then hopefuly it will bed in.What do you recon.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Get drivin' and hopefully the weirdness you're feeling will go away. I wonder: did you clean the wear surfaces [flywheel wear surface and pressure plate wear surface] with brake cleaner to get all the manufacturing oils/gunk off?

Old 06-19-2007, 01:16 AM
fozworth
4th Gear
yes all that

Old 06-19-2007, 08:53 AM
supercoopers
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by norm03s
SC, he said "Using a fidenza flywheel with a new friction plate."
My bad...the result of working an 18hr day and then posting

Fozworth, I hope you get this sorted for both of our's sake, because I'll be running the same clutch when my car gets back on the road (albeit with the CM flywheel).

cheers,

H

Old 06-19-2007, 01:31 PM
fozworth
4th Gear
Yeh im sure with about another 300 miles on it driven carfuly it should bed itself in.I will sell the car before removing the gearbox again.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:57 PM
sayanthan
1st Gear
fx300

Originally Posted by fozworth
Yeh im sure with about another 300 miles on it driven carfuly it should bed itself in.I will sell the car before removing the gearbox again.
how did things go with the fx300? - i'm thinking about buying the same setup.

sy

Old 10-26-2009, 07:07 PM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
I had a Clutch Masters Stage 3 clutch and UUC flywheel [which is made by Fidanza] in my old R53. The clutch engagement was much crisper than stock, with very little increase in pedal effort. The release/engagement point was right in the middle of the clutch pedal travel.

Are you sure you didn't install the clutch disk backwards? I had to look at the stock clutch assembly to ensure I was installing mine in the correct orientation. I didn't experience any strangeness whatsoever during the clutch's break-in process. It was a fantastic clutch and I recommend it to anyone that has plans of up to 300Lb-Ft for their MINI. It certainly wasnt' a cakewalk to drive it around town, but it was still streetable, IMO.

Cheers,
Ryan
What direction did you install yours??? Can't seem to compare them and figure it out...