Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Project MSFITOY Part 2...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 10:56 PM
CXRK
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Not long after this...my good friend Chris (another freekn designer) out did me when he managed to install the R56's fog lamps where I thought it wouldn't fit...

Too bad he doesn't post here so I'll take all the credit...
Well, well well.... Actually I do post. Just not hour on the hour.

Well thanks for the "credit" Sid. Seems like I'll have to keep up and post BEFORE you! HA!

After being pulled over last year for having no red in the rear of the car (this was during the Woodward Cruise and by a Trooper who had nothing better to do! Also I have had clear tail lamps since 04') I decided to do something. First was the round reflectors I used to get me by. Used them at the Dragon then the R56 came out and I took a template, measured and figured they would fit. A dremel and 15 minutes (not including removing the rear fascia and wiring them up) and Viola! Here they are. Placed the switch next to the hand brake.

Damn, competition!

We look good Sid!

Next time as for my approval and sign off.

-C

Attached Thumbnails Project MSFITOY Part 2...-mini-lamp_2.jpg   Project MSFITOY Part 2...-mini-lamp_3.jpg   Project MSFITOY Part 2...-mini-lamp_4.jpg  
Old 07-27-2007, 10:57 PM
CXRK
2nd Gear
Also we discussed underhood lighting. Well completed this tonight. Finally! Decided to go with lower watt LED for a "mood" effect. matching the interior lighting and exterior mirror LEDs. Not to highjack this thread I'll get around to posting my own. As soon as I figure out how to use Safari properly. Frigg'n weird way to upload...Image icon no worky....

-C

Attached Thumbnails Project MSFITOY Part 2...-mini-underhood_6.jpg  
Old 07-27-2007, 11:56 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CXRK
Well, well well.... Actually I do post. Just not hour on the hour.

Well thanks for the "credit" Sid. Seems like I'll have to keep up and post BEFORE you! HA!

After being pulled over last year for having no red in the rear of the car (this was during the Woodward Cruise and by a Trooper who had nothing better to do! Also I have had clear tail lamps since 04') I decided to do something. First was the round reflectors I used to get me by. Used them at the Dragon then the R56 came out and I took a template, measured and figured they would fit. A dremel and 15 minutes (not including removing the rear fascia and wiring them up) and Viola! Here they are. Placed the switch next to the hand brake.

Damn, competition!

We look good Sid!

Next time as for my approval and sign off.

-C
Why not use the stock pick up points for the fogs?

Then you could use the OEM switch

Old 07-28-2007, 07:21 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
CXRK Hijack Hijack...

Good friends steal from each other...notice Chris's tasty rear facia blackout?

Last edited by MSFITOY; 07-28-2007 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:54 AM
CXRK
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by obehave
Why not use the stock pick up points for the fogs?

Then you could use the OEM switch
Wanted them separate. Otherwise too many lamps would be on at the same time, like 6. Maybe an issue with the cops. The lighting aspect is secondary though. The lamps are reflectors in the off position. That was the purpose and the surface detailing added depth.

-C

Old 07-28-2007, 09:55 AM
MPETUOS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
CXRK Hijack Hijack...

...notice Chris's tasty rear facia blackout?
I did notice the hot facia blackout...... and it's coming to a pepperwhite MINI on the East Coast soon!!!!!

Absolutley a fantastic look!!

Old 07-28-2007, 09:57 AM
CXRK
2nd Gear
CXRK Hijack Hijack...

Good friends steal from each other...notice Chris's tasty rear facia blackout?
Ha Sid! Good one! Although the rear idea was part of my front idea (remember before the Dragon?) But I slacked I admit and you beat me to it! Both now both ends have the sme theme.

-C

Attached Thumbnails Project MSFITOY Part 2...-min-front-blk-out.jpg  
Old 07-28-2007, 10:06 AM
BigSky
6th Gear
...As soon as I figure out how to use Safari properly. Frigg'n weird way to upload...Image icon no worky....
If you figure that out PM me!

Old 07-28-2007, 10:09 AM
CXRK
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BigSky
If you figure that out PM me!
I will! Damn thing!

-C

Old 07-28-2007, 02:14 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Ha Sid! Good one! Although the rear idea was part of my front idea (remember before the Dragon?) But I slacked I admit and you beat me to it! Both now both ends have the sme theme.

-C
It's all cool...like the famous Homer Lagassie (my best and last Professor at CCS) always reminded his pupils, "there's nothing new under the sun"...Great designers think alike...

Old 07-28-2007, 03:05 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Wanted them separate. Otherwise too many lamps would be on at the same time, like 6. Maybe an issue with the cops. The lighting aspect is secondary though. The lamps are reflectors in the off position. That was the purpose and the surface detailing added depth.

-C
That's my point, they are seperate. I have rear fogs and they aren't on all the time. You just have to get the full toggle switch bank and then get the dealer to turn on the function. Easy. I did it like 4 years ago.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:58 AM
CXRK
2nd Gear
That's my point, they are seperate. I have rear fogs and they aren't on all the time. You just have to get the full toggle switch bank and then get the dealer to turn on the function. Easy. I did it like 4 years ago.
Um. Yeah the point is I already have the dealer rear fogs incorporated in the standard lamps. And I have the full toggle switch bank. Also had this programed like 4 years ago. Ok 3.5 years. However, I wanted the new (additional) lamps entirely separate due to possible current draw issues with tapping into the harness (rear fog circuit) you never know with ECU's and why take the chance (but I do doubt the system is that sensitive) Also Like I said, If I patched into the rear fog circut which on my car is activated, I would have four fogs, my regular running lamps plus my brake lamps when activated. Remember..I wanted the reflector aspect (since I have clear rear lamps) something that looked good and OE (like it belonged) and the lighting up part of it is bonus! Great for night shots!

Get it?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:00 AM
CXRK
2nd Gear
It's all cool...like the famous Homer Lagassie (my best and last Professor at CCS) always reminded his pupils, "there's nothing new under the sun"...Great designers think alike...
Hey Sid! I know and thanks! At least you had a great prof at CCS. I missed him at the time. Might have made the experience much better to say the least. I have heard much about Homer. Especially in light of Carl.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:12 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Um. Yeah the point is I already have the dealer rear fogs incorporated in the standard lamps. And I have the full toggle switch bank. Also had this programed like 4 years ago. Ok 3.5 years. However, I wanted the new (additional) lamps entirely separate due to possible current draw issues with tapping into the harness (rear fog circuit) you never know with ECU's and why take the chance (but I do doubt the system is that sensitive) Also Like I said, If I patched into the rear fog circut which on my car is activated, I would have four fogs, my regular running lamps plus my brake lamps when activated. Remember..I wanted the reflector aspect (since I have clear rear lamps) something that looked good and OE (like it belonged) and the lighting up part of it is bonus! Great for night shots!

Get it?
If you mentioned that earlier I missed it.
For others contemplating this that don't already have the rear fogs, using the OEM switch bank would be an option though right?

Ah yes, the great Rear Fog petition. I remember it well

Old 07-30-2007, 09:26 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
and the lighting up part of it is bonus! Great for night shots!

Get it?
I noticed that the angle at which my lamps are mounted into the grill casts a nice strong pattern on the ground rear of the bumper (cool)...does yours do the same?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:46 AM
CXRK
2nd Gear
For others contemplating this that don't already have the rear fogs, using the OEM switch bank would be an option though right?

No problem, it's easy to get mixed up and that goes for me as well when I'm typing an explanation.

If you do not have fogs at all and would like to install the set up Sid and I have, using the full toggle switch back is I'm sure possible but not recommended. Why? The switch bank is all micro circuts and tiny pin connectors all designed to go with a matching plug/harness and wiring system. When the factory rear fogs (on 02 thru 04 cars with the fogs IN the rear lamps not the ones replacing rear reverse lamp) the sysyem is prewired it's just not receiving power. Even with a hard part as the toggle bank installed, the real "switch" is the ECU, once activated then you can get power to the OE set up. Trying to do this with a new system such as we installed is not easy or really necessary. There is no OE harness for the new lower lamps. So you must devise one and you can place your relay, switch anywhere you desire.

If the owner still has the OE red lamps then really there is no "need" to do the lower ones we installed. As one, you have fogs built in (just need the toggle bank mentioned and have it activated and two, you have the red you need to be "legal". In the US you "have" to have a red reflector surface in the rear of the car that is picked up by traffic behind you if the vehicle lights are off (such as stopped or power outage) With white lenses they reflect (Europe OK) but they are not red (US Not OK). Hence the lower lamps from the R56 which reflect (but also light up too.) Might as well make them functional.

Hope this helps and I really have to stop hijacking Sids thread!

I promise I start my own!

-C

Old 07-30-2007, 09:47 AM
CXRK
2nd Gear
I noticed that the angle at which my lamps are mounted into the grill casts a nice strong pattern on the ground rear of the bumper (cool)...does yours do the same?

Yeah, Same thing! Pretty cool. Check your PM MMu.

-C

Old 07-30-2007, 09:51 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE

I never did the 6 toggles for fog setup and my rear lamps were wired for quad brake...when I removed my N2O system, a prewired switch and line were readily available at the rear from the remote solenoid which is now the power source for the "new" fogs...cooool!

Old 07-30-2007, 10:45 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question about this rear lamp mod, are they just a bright red light? And are they legal? I used to have a Volvo, they had the extra bright feature, is this the same thing?

Old 07-30-2007, 11:08 AM
rhubbard
4th Gear
I never did the 6 toggles for fog setup and my rear lamps were wired for quad brake...when I removed my N2O system, a prewired switch and line were readily available at the rear from the remote solenoid which is now the power source for the "new" fogs...cooool!
I saw you on woodward saturday night. Next time you're out, stop by Street Legel Customs (SLC). There's always a solid crowd there and it's a place we are actually allowed to be at without getting the boot.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:17 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by rhubbard
I saw you on woodward saturday night. Next time you're out, stop by Street Legel Customs (SLC). There's always a solid crowd there and it's a place we are actually allowed to be at without getting the boot.
Really...shoulda caught my attention...where's this place at?

Old 07-30-2007, 11:39 AM
rhubbard
4th Gear
It's just north of the Ford dealership on the east side of Woodward. I can't say for sure exactly what mile road, but around 11 mile is the area. Google maps is loading too slow for me to find out for sure.

I'm usually out Friday or Saturday night in a DS/B mini and Ben is usually there with the GP.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:42 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by rhubbard
It's just north of the Ford dealership on the east side of Woodward. I can't say for sure exactly what mile road, but around 11 mile is the area. Google maps is loading too slow for me to find out for sure.

I'm usually out Friday or Saturday night in a DS/B mini and Ben is usually there with the GP.
I'll bring Chris and Scott along...

Old 08-01-2007, 05:58 AM
mozzarella
Banned
I remember seeing that you were going to dyno this beast, did you and what were the numbers?

Old 08-01-2007, 06:09 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by mozzarella
I remember seeing that you were going to dyno this beast, did you and what were the numbers?
As soon as this heat wave blows...it's 98F... :impatient

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Project MSFITOY Part 2...