Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Gruppe M intake for r56

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007 | 09:20 PM
MrB
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RandyBMC
Yep, there are options. We have been in prototype for about 2 months now, and I am building jigs for this and the cat-back next week.

We are doing a stainless SportBox with an optional RAF bit that uses the hood scoop. Should be ready in less than a month, but no promises.

Randy (Webb)
i m looking forward how will it look like

Old 08-10-2007 | 05:07 PM
Maverick
1st Gear
Opss...

I have the JCW strut brace just right in middle of the position of the GruppeM airbox.
What a pity!... I like it so much,it might have been a very good solution...

Old 08-23-2007 | 08:04 PM
MrB
2nd Gear
i still waiting for M7 RANDY....

Old 08-24-2007 | 11:54 AM
M7
Former Vendor
Hi Guys...

We are working hard on getting the part to you as fast as possible.

Also look for a surprise within days.....

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123

Old 08-25-2007 | 11:00 AM
JollyRodger
2nd Gear
Why is nobody replacing the ribbed intake tube that runs from the turbo up to the filer???? smoothing out the intake track to get a more laminar flow would be beneficial, and that is not a hard piece to replace??? Vendors? anyone????

Old 08-25-2007 | 11:07 AM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
Its probably smooth on the inside.... the ribs are there for strength

Old 08-25-2007 | 10:00 PM
ltjpunk7
4th Gear
Originally Posted by a96bimmerm3
Its probably smooth on the inside.... the ribs are there for strength
My thoughts exactly. But then again, i haven't opened it up.

Old 08-26-2007 | 05:00 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MrB
i still waiting for M7 RANDY....

It will be a matter of days now now weeks We had a little project come along that took some of our time away but we are back on it full time now . If you want to check out this thread and hopefully you will agree that the numbers gained were worth the time out.

Randy
M7 Tuning

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...=1#post1712103

Old 08-29-2007 | 09:36 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
no one else is concerned about water getting in? it seems like if you were driving in the rain, water would get sent straight into the air filter then into the engine... It looks real nice but if i cant drive in the rain, forget about it.

Old 08-29-2007 | 11:55 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ghosthound
no one else is concerned about water getting in? it seems like if you were driving in the rain, water would get sent straight into the air filter then into the engine... It looks real nice but if i cant drive in the rain, forget about it.
This is probably a non-issue for a number of reasons:

I'm sure there are several options to divert what little moisture comes through the scoop out of the inlet funnel or and/or out of the airbox itself. Ever seen an aibox on a dirtbike and the simple drain systems availible?

Any moisture that does hit the filter cane be negated by a simple filter oil (K&N or other) sprayed on the filter rlrment itself (depending on the specific filter) or on a lightweight filterskin.

Easy stuff. Moisture won't be an issue.

Old 08-31-2007 | 12:21 AM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
This is probably a non-issue for a number of reasons:

I'm sure there are several options to divert what little moisture comes through the scoop out of the inlet funnel or and/or out of the airbox itself. Ever seen an aibox on a dirtbike and the simple drain systems availible?

Any moisture that does hit the filter cane be negated by a simple filter oil (K&N or other) sprayed on the filter rlrment itself (depending on the specific filter) or on a lightweight filterskin.

Easy stuff. Moisture won't be an issue.
i dont see how an oiled filter would stop water... couldnt water still get through, i mean especially if you are really winding through the gears and the engine is breathing hard... anyway, it seems like you know what you are talking about and this intake looks SWEET!!!

Old 09-01-2007 | 10:40 AM
joshK
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PWRS
looks like a hydrolock air intake, hope the r56 is thirsty...
Nah, you have to virtually submerge a filter to hydrolock a motor. The small amount of water that might get through the filter would quickly evaporate before the combustion chamber.

Old 09-02-2007 | 05:54 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
For those of you looking to improve the intake on the R-56 here is a bit more to think about . We are getting very CLOSE with our system and here is another photo of our prototype . The on road testing went well and we are ready to sign off on the mold and get the production line up and running. I will post any more info as it becomes available.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 09-02-2007 | 06:04 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by maxmini
For those of you looking to improve the intake on the R-56 here is a bit more to think about . We are getting very CLOSE with our system and here is another photo of our prototype . The on road testing went well and we are ready to sign off on the mold and get the production line up and running. I will post any more info as it becomes available.

Randy
M7 Tuning

That is pure sweetness right there. Very nice.

Old 09-02-2007 | 10:41 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ghosthound
i dont see how an oiled filter would stop water... couldnt water still get through.
An oiled filter, or filter skin will repell pretty much any water that could get in there. Spray, spritz or splash... no problem. Submerge and sit and you have an issue.

Worst case scenario (if it's not in the design already)... add a simple drain plug in a low spot in the "funnel" and then in the airbox itself. Just run it for a few weeks in the weather, first. That way you can see the telltale signs of where moisture enters the system and how it pools.

Old 09-02-2007 | 11:51 PM
joshK
4th Gear
Originally Posted by maxmini

Randy
M7 Tuning

Awesome - can't wait to see the final version and some numbers!

Old 09-03-2007 | 12:09 AM
M7
Former Vendor
Moisture will not be an issue with our system, think of it as a pressurized box with low-spot relief valves.. Simple elegant and very effective.

Peter
m7 Tuning
562-608-8123

Old 09-03-2007 | 11:49 AM
YseanY
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RandyBMC
Yep, there are options. We have been in prototype for about 2 months now, and I am building jigs for this and the cat-back next week.

We are doing a stainless SportBox with an optional RAF bit that uses the hood scoop. Should be ready in less than a month, but no promises.

Randy (Webb)
any updates?

Old 09-03-2007 | 12:40 PM
tomah
3rd Gear
man, i cant wait to see all the R56 stuff M7's coming out with. LAKEWOOD CA represent!

Old 09-03-2007 | 01:10 PM
-Vampyre-
3rd Gear
Finally pics of an intake with a functional hood scoop. I know it may not be necessary, ut it is theone thing I want to work. This might be the first thing I buy after my springs come in....if they ever come in. Tirerack keeps pushing back the date. Been almost 5 months.

Old 09-03-2007 | 01:29 PM
Maverick
1st Gear
Originally Posted by M7
Moisture will not be an issue with our system, think of it as a pressurized box with low-spot relief valves.. Simple elegant and very effective.

Peter
m7 Tuning
562-608-8123
And what about if I have the JCW strut bar?

Old 09-03-2007 | 02:06 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by Maaij

€800-€900 include shipping :(

Now that is a properly and professionally designed scoop
I can't wait to see it in person

Old 09-03-2007 | 02:55 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
At $ 1800 plus over seas shipping it might be awhile before anyone actually sees one . It is a good looking piece but I don't know how carbon fiber will take to the shock of repeated hood closings . The heat underhood will make the CF brittle over time and prone to cracking. Time will tell on that one. It is unfortunate that they limited the buyer to not being able to run a strut tower brace if they so desired but as I said earlier it looks great !

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 09-03-2007 | 03:09 PM
speedkills
Neutral
with all this talk about a functional hoodscoop, i have to question if it can really be functional. i know some people's hoodscoops are completely closed, but mine has a few small holes in it, so air can pass through. but... something i have noticed after car washings, when i take the car out on the highway to let it blow dry the water beads that are sitting on the scoop (right in front of the opening) dont move. is this an issue with the design of the hood shape/scoop that air just passes right over top of it? or, would either of the above functional intakes/scoops change the air flow since it is forced to pull air through the scoop? im assuming there are no other intakes/openings for the filter under the hood right? this worries me when it comes to spending all this money on a more functional hoodscoop/intake. i hope all that made sense... lol.

Old 09-03-2007 | 04:20 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
Good try

That's the stock hoodscoop, nothing designed by Gruppe M.
When I think about it.... it's professionally done by.....BMW

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Gruppe M intake for r56