Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain HEY ALTA!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007 | 07:49 PM
Firebolt
2nd Gear
but can't you see its red and agressive looking!?

Old 07-21-2007 | 04:54 AM
crucial_fiction
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Firebolt
but can't you see its red and agressive looking!?

Old 07-21-2007 | 05:36 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Need more Alta?

Check them out Aug 9-12 at MITM MINIs in the Mountains...all the great gear and more, in the big rig....

See you there.

JPS

Old 07-21-2007 | 12:10 PM
rattmobbins
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jsouz
Check them out Aug 9-12 at MITM MINIs in the Mountains...all the great gear and more, in the big rig....

See you there.

JPS
I would love to, but I think my car won't quite be here yet. I'm probably gonna miss MITM by just a couple of days.

Old 07-21-2007 | 01:13 PM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2
At the same time, our Boost tubes are ready! We are filling backorders on this part as we speak! This part gets rid of the silencer in the hot side boost tube (not that we noticed it getting louder!) and is a larger ID through out the entire hose for a little extra flow. Dyno numbers will follow, but this is truely a dress up item, so we are not expecting much to change. Unlike some, we don't claim more HP until we prove it on the dyno.
Are you saying that your silicone boost hoses aren't changing the volume or tone of the engine? I can understand how people may want just a cosmetic option, but I want a deeper tone. some people here https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=103761 are getting a better tone with just a pipe. Maybe I just misread your post. Thanks for the updates
-Bryan

Old 07-24-2007 | 02:29 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by rattmobbins
So should we expect to see any loss in low end torque with your intake? Pretty much every car I've had has lost some low end torque with an intake on it, but I've never had a turbo...
Absolutely not! Like our other parts, we have dyno graphs showing the gains had by the intake and you can see here, that nothing is lost.

Originally Posted by ukaussi
I think the problem everyone was/is having getting their heads around this is that it is in a location that is normally associated with a lot of engine heat.

Alta has indicated that they took temp readings with the hood scoop opened up and the temps in that back area where the filter is were not much higher than ambient.

Obviously, if you enclosed it so that ONLY the hood scoop & original intake ducting fed air in it would be IDEAL and even cooler intake temps.

Having dremmeled open all the openings in my hood scoop trim I can say the air entering the engine compartment via the hood scoop does so further back than the turbo so it most likely doesn't get affected too much by the heat in that area.

IMHO that setup is not worth $300 to me as it doesn't seem to provide much more that simply switching the stock airbox for a $60 K&N cone filter as done by a few people here - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=99615

Lots of companies working on this so I am sure we will have a decent choice in a couple of months
Thanks for some backup, but our testing did show that the intake gets perfect ambient air to the filter. Even with it block the air temp is still pretty cool. Its not 200 degrees like many might think, but rather 30 degrees warmer than ambient.

We did choose to not build a scoop or diverter to catch that OEM scoop's air as it worked so well with out it. There was no need to add additional cost, or parts, or install time, or hood clearance issues.

This K&N option is a good cheap way to do it. BUT, there are 2 things to look at. One is proven HP. Has this been done? This was our first thought long ago when designing the intake, but it really limits the size of the filter. Again we want the more HP from the intake as possible, so in order to fit our larger filter under the hood, we had to put it where the stock box is located. Problem number 2 is MAF replication. This is not something anyone has figured out yet, but as more ECU flashing is done, the filter on the end of the MAF housing may cause MAF sensor reading to be inaccurate.

The stock Air box creates a right to left air flow curve that goes throught the MAF sensor. With the K&N solution, this is gone which effects MAF readings, which can make the car run leaner or richer than stock.

One of the most important things with our intake we wanted to do is replicate the stock MAF curve as possible. With the elbow, and size of tubing , and everything else tied together, we accomplished just that. This is proven with AFR (Air Fuel Ratios) staying the same from the OEM intake to our intake. this may not seem important now, but in the world of MAF base ECUs and cars, CEL's can pop up, and ECU flashes will not work.

So is $300 worth it?? Well that is all a person choice. Our intake is a finished product, not a just a filter hanging out in the middle of the engine bay. That has some appeal right there. Our intake is proven to make consistant power, not sure if the K&N has done this. We offer support for our customers, and we 100% gaurantee no CEL.

Originally Posted by scott48
What sort of hp, torque, etc. gains are we looking at by installing this intake.
The above graph was created during our initial testing of the intake. During these we proved that that scoop being removed was important, and worth about 3WHP or so.

I hope that clears some things up for people. There are always going to be those people who say something is not worth it. These same people are the DIY'ers and tend to build their own parts. I look at things the same way alot of times, because i CAN build them my self. But you have to remember there are lots of different people out there and lots of different needs/wants. We think our intake system will fill 90% of our customers needs and wants.

Old 07-24-2007 | 03:37 PM
rattmobbins
|
6th Gear
Nice graphs Jeff, thanks! Intersting to see the fairly significant drop off in torque at 3,000 RPM. Wonder what that's all about.

I do have to say I am a little confused by the data in the blue boxes. Especially the "gain" numbers, which are both showing negative values.

One last thing, I personally will more than likely be buying Alta products for my MINI for 1 reason. You guys are more active on this forum than any other vendor, and for that matter more active than any vendor I have seen on any other forums as well, MINI or not. That really speaks volumes for your company's dedication to the MINI community, which translates into you earning my hard earned $$$ when my car gets here in a couple of weeks.

The reason I say "more than likely" is:

1) I'm not so sure about the foam filter. I have no experience with them. What are the benefits and downsides of foam vs. oiled cotton gauze (K&N)?

2) I'm a nervous nelly about voiding my warranty, so I may end up going with the JCW kit to ensure that my warranty remains 100% intact. I haven't officially decided one way or the other yet though. The sound clips of the Alta exhaust are part of the reason it will be a VERY hard decision. Sounds AMAZING!!!

Old 07-24-2007 | 04:38 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by familiarstranger
Are you saying that your silicone boost hoses aren't changing the volume or tone of the engine? I can understand how people may want just a cosmetic option, but I want a deeper tone. some people here https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=103761 are getting a better tone with just a pipe. Maybe I just misread your post. Thanks for the updates
-Bryan
Bryan,
The boost tubes were meant to be more of a dress up item, and at the same time we made them smoother and a little larger where we could. Some people say that the silencer is a restriction. Well yes and no. The Silencing part of the silencer, is not a restriction. The small holes and baffles are like a straight through muffler. The only part of the silencer that is a restriction is that the ID of it is smaller than the rubber hose it fits into. But we are taking a very small difference.

There is a picture of a silencer cut in half floating around, that makes it look like it is much much smaller than just the ID of the rubber hose. This is truely not the case. Replaceing the silencer with a straight pipe that goes from one rubber hose to the other is still going to have a smaller ID compared to the rubber hose.

Our Silicone hose actually keeps this larger size the whole way through the pipe down to the intercooler. So it IS bigger than the factory silencer, or a pipe that could replace it. So it will flow more, but the HP gain is still very very small. The pressure drop across this silencer has got to be basically nothing. In turn gaining little to no HP.

Lets hit on noise for a Minute. I have got to say there is virtually no change in sound with this part gone. Now i am judging that with a intake and exhaust already installed. ZERO, ZIP, nothing changed. But as some others have mentioned a deep throaty sound is possible, as that chamber would help get rid of it.

It seems like Mini is trying really hard in one spot to silence the turbo:
But in another, generate some noise:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...06&hg=13&fg=20

This shows the silencer and the Sound Generator i am refering to.

Mini is very confusing!

I hope that all makes sense. The smoother bends in the ALTA pipe kit might make HP, but if it does we will back it up with proof.

Old 07-24-2007 | 04:54 PM
bartbojo
1st Gear
I can confirm the importance of MAF flow replication as mentioned by Alta above. Pretty sure that's what I got going on with my car here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=108300

Old 07-25-2007 | 08:13 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by rattmobbins
Nice graphs Jeff, thanks! Intersting to see the fairly significant drop off in torque at 3,000 RPM. Wonder what that's all about.

I do have to say I am a little confused by the data in the blue boxes. Especially the "gain" numbers, which are both showing negative values.

One last thing, I personally will more than likely be buying Alta products for my MINI for 1 reason. You guys are more active on this forum than any other vendor, and for that matter more active than any vendor I have seen on any other forums as well, MINI or not. That really speaks volumes for your company's dedication to the MINI community, which translates into you earning my hard earned $$$ when my car gets here in a couple of weeks.

The reason I say "more than likely" is:

1) I'm not so sure about the foam filter. I have no experience with them. What are the benefits and downsides of foam vs. oiled cotton gauze (K&N)?

2) I'm a nervous nelly about voiding my warranty, so I may end up going with the JCW kit to ensure that my warranty remains 100% intact. I haven't officially decided one way or the other yet though. The sound clips of the Alta exhaust are part of the reason it will be a VERY hard decision. Sounds AMAZING!!!
We love this kind of interaction. Its quick and gets to all kinds of different customers, that live everywhere. This is what makes the Mini group of people so nice to deal with. Everyone likes everyone!

The drop is tourque is boost. This is the R56 ECU has a horrible boost curve. It goes up, then down, then up then back down at redline. There is a lot of info we posted a while back in our "Where's ther R56 SC pulley?" Thread.

To answer your questions
1)Foam (we feel) is superior to all other filters. The reason is that when dirty it still filters, and flows lots of air. K&N type filters flow great when they are clean and new, but as soon as they get dirty, they start flowing less and less. Look at the ATV offroad industry. Foam is the ONLY thing they use as it can still filter and flow lots of air when dirty. Both types of filters flow about the same when new, so its not a matter of HP (given the same size filter) Plus i think they look cool!

2)Warranty is a big concern. Dealers tell customers that any modification will void their warranty. This is what everyone has become to believe, but legally this is not true. What i mean is, a catback exhaust cant void your suspensions warranty, and you could even go as far as saying it can't void your engines warranty. This might be hard to prove, but because the stock Downpipe and cats are still there, it would be hard to disprove. Esspecially since we have proof of no AFR change, better fuel economy and the HP is still less than a JCW engine. So they couldn't argue that it makes too much HP. You could take that one step further and say the ALTA Downpipe can't either. It had legal Cats in it, loacted in the same position, it make HP by freeing up things. You could really push what voids your warranty.

The one engine item that could void your warranty is intakes other that our ALTA intake. I say this because of the MAF sensor. Any car with a MAF sensor and an aftermarket intake have the potential to change MAF sensor curve. This can lead to lean or rich conditions and cause engine damage. This was never a concern before with the mini as it used a speed density ECU which you could run no filter and it would run the same. Not with the new car!

BUt again you could argue that the ALTA intake didn't void my engines warranty as we have proven that is makes a certain HP, and it has ZERO effect on AFR's (Air fuel Ratios). Basically we provide enough proof that if a dealer said your ALTA intake caused your crank to fail, we can show that it is not increasing the HP too much, or making the AFR's too lean.

Trust me, warrant voiding is a huge concern with us and our parts we make. At this point only one part we don't make that is "warranty safe" is our turbo kit. But hey, if you are interested in this, then i think you understand that your warranty might go bye bye.

Old 07-25-2007 | 09:33 AM
TWON
4th Gear
Warranty is a big concern. Dealers tell customers that any modification will void their warranty. This is what everyone has become to believe, but legally this is not true. What i mean is, a catback exhaust cant void your suspensions warranty, and you could even go as far as saying it can't void your engines warranty. This might be hard to prove, but because the stock Downpipe and cats are still there, it would be hard to disprove. Esspecially since we have proof of no AFR change, better fuel economy and the HP is still less than a JCW engine. So they couldn't argue that it makes too much HP. You could take that one step further and say the ALTA Downpipe can't either. It had legal Cats in it, loacted in the same position, it make HP by freeing up things. You could really push what voids your warranty.
I think this is a great thing to point out! I have never wrote it myself because I have yet to read the warranty in its entirety, but this is exactly how it was explained to me from the dear. With that said, can't say I would want the hassle of arguing about the intake after something goes wrong in the engine, but that's simple, put the original back on before you give it to the dealer.

Old 07-25-2007 | 09:46 AM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
Thanks for the reply Jeff! Here is a picture of the muffler in half:

Old 07-25-2007 | 11:29 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Yes, that picture is very decieving. It does show the baffles and perforated core, but it does not neck down like that at all. The picture shows the pipe cut, but not equally in half. I don't have our OEM part here at the new place or i would measure it to explain better.

But lets say the ID of the hose is 2", in order for that silencer to fit it, it has to be 2" on the outside. So the inside is smaller, but not by more than say .125" overall. This restriction is very small, and when you have all that air going through an even smaller tube right before it at the turbo, it can't do that much. But like i said before, our selling point is not that it makes HP. If it does when we dyno the car, then great, but can tell you with our shop cars, there is no Butt HP noticed. At least nothing like the intake or exhaust HP.

Old 07-25-2007 | 02:22 PM
Canvasmonkey
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aus
Any chance of getting a CARB version?
I realize that applying to CARB a part probably isnt very cheap but have you had any thoughts about a CARB for your friendly neighbors to the south

Last edited by Canvasmonkey; 07-25-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-25-2007 | 02:43 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Just got these on "Howard" last night! I will publish photos, etc. ASAP! But the butt dyno likes!

CARB isn't an issue from a financial point of view, it is from a bureacratic point of view. More to come!

Old 07-25-2007 | 09:29 PM
rattmobbins
|
6th Gear
The drop is tourque is boost. This is the R56 ECU has a horrible boost curve. It goes up, then down, then up then back down at redline. There is a lot of info we posted a while back in our "Where's ther R56 SC pulley?" Thread.
Ah, I see. Maybe Vishnu can take care of that for us!

To answer your questions
1)Foam (we feel) is superior to all other filters. The reason is that when dirty it still filters, and flows lots of air. K&N type filters flow great when they are clean and new, but as soon as they get dirty, they start flowing less and less. Look at the ATV offroad industry. Foam is the ONLY thing they use as it can still filter and flow lots of air when dirty. Both types of filters flow about the same when new, so its not a matter of HP (given the same size filter) Plus i think they look cool!
Interesting. Like I said, never used foam so I had no idea what the differences were. No doubt they look cool! Plus it's red to match my CR/W MCS! Can't beat that!

2)Warranty is a big concern. Dealers tell customers that any modification will void their warranty. This is what everyone has become to believe, but legally this is not true. What i mean is, a catback exhaust cant void your suspensions warranty, and you could even go as far as saying it can't void your engines warranty. This might be hard to prove, but because the stock Downpipe and cats are still there, it would be hard to disprove. Esspecially since we have proof of no AFR change, better fuel economy and the HP is still less than a JCW engine. So they couldn't argue that it makes too much HP. You could take that one step further and say the ALTA Downpipe can't either. It had legal Cats in it, loacted in the same position, it make HP by freeing up things. You could really push what voids your warranty.

BUt again you could argue that the ALTA intake didn't void my engines warranty as we have proven that is makes a certain HP, and it has ZERO effect on AFR's (Air fuel Ratios). Basically we provide enough proof that if a dealer said your ALTA intake caused your crank to fail, we can show that it is not increasing the HP too much, or making the AFR's too lean.

Trust me, warrant voiding is a huge concern with us and our parts we make. At this point only one part we don't make that is "warranty safe" is our turbo kit. But hey, if you are interested in this, then i think you understand that your warranty might go bye bye.
Wow, didn't know all that. Nice to know you guys stand behind your products to the point that you'll provide all the necessary documentation if the dealer tries to pull a fast one.

The one engine item that could void your warranty is intakes other that our ALTA intake. I say this because of the MAF sensor. Any car with a MAF sensor and an aftermarket intake have the potential to change MAF sensor curve. This can lead to lean or rich conditions and cause engine damage. This was never a concern before with the mini as it used a speed density ECU which you could run no filter and it would run the same. Not with the new car!
Well, no need to worry there. Like I said, the only performance parts I'll be considering for my car will be Alta, and JCW. And your info about the factory warranty above is making me seriously reconsider the JCW stuff! It's SOOOOOOO expensive!

Well, thanks again for all the amazing info. Can't tell you enough how much it is appreciated! You guys rock!

Old 07-25-2007 | 09:31 PM
rattmobbins
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Just got these on "Howard" last night! I will publish photos, etc. ASAP! But the butt dyno likes!

CARB isn't an issue from a financial point of view, it is from a bureacratic point of view. More to come!
By "these" do you mean the Alta intake? If so, how about some updated sound clips with the intake and downpipe installed?

Old 07-26-2007 | 08:35 AM
Canvasmonkey
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
I'm just glad you didn't give a flat out no.

Old 08-01-2007 | 02:13 PM
scott48
6th Gear
So, anyone have the Alta intake installed yet, are they ready to ship?

Last edited by scott48; 08-05-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-05-2007 | 03:53 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Are they ready to ship??

Old 08-05-2007 | 06:35 PM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
someone posted somewhere that they had theirs installed. so i would assume that means yes. give adam a call

Old 08-06-2007 | 02:21 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Called in and ordered the new Alta intake, and of course, can't wait until I get it on....will post some comments about it after I get it installed.

Old 08-06-2007 | 03:53 PM
SEAL6
4th Gear
Originally Posted by scott48
Called in and ordered the new Alta intake, and of course, can't wait until I get it on....will post some comments about it after I get it installed.
They already have their intake out??? Its not posted on their site.

Old 08-06-2007 | 03:59 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SEAL6
They already have their intake out??? Its not posted on their site.
After seeing all the stuff posted about it, but it not being on their site(probably due to their move), I decided to call Alta. The lady I talked to said is showed instock in the computer, but might be a day or two to leave the warehouse.

Old 08-09-2007 | 09:44 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Yeah the website is a bit behind. I was able to get the diverter for the R56 up yesterday, and if I can find the photos etc. I will do the boost tubes and intakes. Both are available now but selling fast. More will be available next week if you are at the end of the list. Sorry guys for the delay! Thank you for your patience with us during the move (and now MITM).

Chat soon fellas!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain HEY ALTA!!!