Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain HEY ALTA!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007 | 05:53 PM
rattmobbins
|
6th Gear
HEY ALTA!!!

On May 10th in THIS THREAD you guys said the intake for the R56 would begin shipping in 3 weeks at a yet to be determined price.

Well it's now 8 weeks later, and the intake is STILL not listed on the website. What's the story with this bad boy?

Old 07-09-2007 | 09:17 PM
07 MCS
2nd Gear
i seccond that, i have a mini in need of a intake

Old 07-09-2007 | 09:54 PM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
I just put an AEM dry flow filter on to ease the pain, I still want a proper intake!

Old 07-10-2007 | 12:32 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Yeah, there have been a bunch of intakes hinted at... my favoroite was the DDW Works one that hinted at opening up the hood scoop. looked sweet: stainless steel box with a black crinkle coat finish. That was more than a couple months back, though... and nothing yet.

Oh, wait! There is the carbon fiber one from Groupe M for upwards of $1500 USD!!!

Old 07-10-2007 | 04:54 AM
MIN 18
3rd Gear
Gruppe M has an intake for the MINI. but the price is just outrageous!

I hope alta can come up with one that has heat shielding.

Old 07-10-2007 | 07:08 AM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
Group Ns is the only one available... lol... why can't the reasonably priced ones come around??? :impatient

Old 07-10-2007 | 11:00 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Guys and gals! We are on this! Don't think we are draggin our heels or anything. The system isn't a rumor etc. But we are in the middle of moving our ENTIRE operation and a couple products have gotten pushed back a bit. I can say that 95% of the kit is in the building(s) ready to ship. Just waiting on a few details. I am JUST as anxious as you folks becaue "Howard" is begging me for some better lungs!

Plus I will yell at Jeff for taking so long if it will make you guys feel better ;-)

Thanks guys and gals for the continued support!

Old 07-11-2007 | 09:51 AM
rattmobbins
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Guys and gals! We are on this! Don't think we are draggin our heels or anything. The system isn't a rumor etc. But we are in the middle of moving our ENTIRE operation and a couple products have gotten pushed back a bit. I can say that 95% of the kit is in the building(s) ready to ship. Just waiting on a few details. I am JUST as anxious as you folks becaue "Howard" is begging me for some better lungs!

Plus I will yell at Jeff for taking so long if it will make you guys feel better ;-)

Thanks guys and gals for the continued support!
Nice!

Old 07-13-2007 | 12:14 AM
aus
3rd Gear
Any chance of getting a CARB version?

Old 07-13-2007 | 01:13 AM
bart5467
4th Gear
Sweet i am Waiting 2 not really 2 keen on my home made one

Old 07-13-2007 | 05:48 PM
TReed
2nd Gear
*edit

Last edited by TReed; 05-10-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2007 | 06:05 PM
devious duck
2nd Gear
seems really odd that Alta wouldn't have updated their own thread before this other company posted a price on the Alta product. Seems a little fishy to me. i'm guessing they don't have any units in stock ready to go.

Old 07-13-2007 | 06:27 PM
TReed
2nd Gear
I talked with him today, he is a long time sunshimeminis.org member and has always treated us well. He said he talked to John (Altas sales manager) and received final pricing and is taking orders that will be shipped as soon as they are released. Just call him if you think it's 'fishy'. I think as of Monday he will be a NAM vendor.

~Tracey

Old 07-13-2007 | 10:36 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
He is a-ok! Treed is correct. BTW TReed love your avatar! That red R53 is Hott!

Jeff is working feverishly to complete instruction etc. for this part and trying to get them packed before we complete the move of the warehouse (we are operating out of two locations for now.)

Thanks again everyone!

Old 07-14-2007 | 06:12 PM
devious duck
2nd Gear
well thats cool that we got some pricing info. it just seemed a little odd to me that another vendor would have more info for us than the manufacturer that is also a vendor here. now i just have to give it a minute for some pics to come up and see what M7 and the other vendors come out with before i lay down some hard earned cash. thanks for the info though everyone.

Old 07-16-2007 | 04:28 PM
TReed
2nd Gear
You should see the ad on the front page now

Old 07-16-2007 | 05:08 PM
trackster
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rattmobbins
On May 10th in THIS THREAD you guys said the intake for the R56 would begin shipping in 3 weeks at a yet to be determined price.

Well it's now 8 weeks later, and the intake is STILL not listed on the website. What's the story with this bad boy?

Do you have any pictures of how the heat sheild will look ?

Old 07-17-2007 | 02:35 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
As mentioned in a previous thread, we were trying to ship this week. We will be very very close to that. With moving shop and all it is going to be tight.

I am not sure what heat shield you are refering too?? There is no heat shield on the turbo, in that picture as we were showing off the DP. IT is very very important to have the heat shield on the turbo for this application, as it can damage the paint under the hood and create alot of heat getting to the turbo.

A long long time ago we talked about a possible heat shield in front of the scoop, before the valve cover. If this is what you are talking about, that might be somethign in the future. But we have proven with out a dout that he scoop plug removed from the hood, gives the filter and surrounding area perfect ambient temp. And our long term test (which you can see some from above) shows that air gets right to the filter. So this shroud isn't that necessary. It might be a nice dress up item we make eventually.

Those concerned with what others will look like shouldn't worry. Like our other R53 intake, we will prove ours will make the most HP, and at this point it does! There is no box that constrics the size of the filter, nor are we limited to the fresh air scoop to suck in air. We feel we made our intake the best it can be made, and will make the most HP possible (with out throwing off the MAF curve). Its simple, looks great, makes proven WHP and fits people budgets.

The day it ships you will all know as we will have big write up on it on NAM, and it will be on our site.

But something to keep people happy........ The turbo inlet hoses prototype is all done, and looks great! I would show a picture, but we can't find the Camera! Hopefully during our unpacking it will show up! This part makes the intake system completly silicone from the MAF to the Turbo, and looks AWESOME!

At the same time, our Boost tubes are ready! We are filling backorders on this part as we speak! This part gets rid of the silencer in the hot side boost tube (not that we noticed it getting louder!) and is a larger ID through out the entire hose for a little extra flow. Dyno numbers will follow, but this is truely a dress up item, so we are not expecting much to change. Unlike some, we don't claim more HP until we prove it on the dyno.

Old 07-17-2007 | 10:53 PM
rattmobbins
|
6th Gear
So should we expect to see any loss in low end torque with your intake? Pretty much every car I've had has lost some low end torque with an intake on it, but I've never had a turbo...

Old 07-19-2007 | 03:40 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
is it just me or does this not look like a cold air kit?

it looks like a filter housing replacment, but I cant figure out where it would separate cold from hot air

Old 07-20-2007 | 07:46 AM
Salty
3rd Gear
If you open up the hood scoop it should peel off air from outside the engine

Old 07-20-2007 | 07:56 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
that does not separate cold from warm air, there's no heat shield at all

Old 07-20-2007 | 09:19 AM
ukaussi
2nd Gear
I think the problem everyone was/is having getting their heads around this is that it is in a location that is normally associated with a lot of engine heat.

Alta has indicated that they took temp readings with the hood scoop opened up and the temps in that back area where the filter is were not much higher than ambient.

Obviously, if you enclosed it so that ONLY the hood scoop & original intake ducting fed air in it would be IDEAL and even cooler intake temps.

Having dremmeled open all the openings in my hood scoop trim I can say the air entering the engine compartment via the hood scoop does so further back than the turbo so it most likely doesn't get affected too much by the heat in that area.

IMHO that setup is not worth $300 to me as it doesn't seem to provide much more that simply switching the stock airbox for a $60 K&N cone filter as done by a few people here - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=99615

Lots of companies working on this so I am sure we will have a decent choice in a couple of months

Old 07-20-2007 | 10:12 AM
scott48
6th Gear
What sort of hp, torque, etc. gains are we looking at by installing this intake.

Old 07-20-2007 | 04:02 PM
crucial_fiction
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ukaussi
IMHO that setup is not worth $300 to me as it doesn't seem to provide much more that simply switching the stock airbox for a $60 K&N cone filter as done by a few people here - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=99615

Lots of companies working on this so I am sure we will have a decent choice in a couple of months

This is what I'm thinking as well

Quick Reply: Drivetrain HEY ALTA!!!