Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain HALTECH MANAGEMENT!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:45 AM
33NIM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HALTECH MANAGEMENT!!

Hi all. In my never ending quest to find a cheap alternative to the engine management issues faced by all of us, I have come across a winner!!! HALTECH!!!

Haltech engine management systems (www.haltech.com) make the "Interceptor", which is kind of like a piggyback, but runs inline to the computer from the sensors and modifies the inputs to the factory ECU. It controls the majors like fuel and timing, plus a host of other options.

The best part is that it can be done on the fly with a laptop in the car like a conventional standalone ECU (not continually uploading/downloading throught the OBD to the std ecu)!!! It shows all the parameters instantaeously and mods can be made while you are driving!!! OMG!!!

And it's only $1000AUD!!!!

Has anyone else come across this unit/used this unit before?? cause I am about half a second away from buying it!!! It is the happy medium between the Hydra and a remap - I think this could be awesome!

Last edited by 33NIM; 07-17-2007 at 04:47 AM.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:58 AM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you do this let me know how it works out. You should dyno the car before and after.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Trickle X
5th Gear
That system would work well for you & the added bonus is that you would have somewhat local support! Give em a call and speak to them about it. Tell them what you want to do and see how much they have tested on the MINI.

Let us know!

Old 07-17-2007, 11:11 AM
SharoSC02
5th Gear
exactly what he ^ said. I would ask them if it has worked on Minis. These cars of ours are very special and tweaking them around with unknown/untested products could do more harm than good. Also what is AUD $? I'm assuming it's Australian?!

jm2c.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Originalhotrodder
1st Gear
Before you purchase the Haltech, check out the SMT6 and SMT7 made by Perfect Power:
http://www.perfectpower.com/products/smt6.asp
http://www.perfectpower.com/products/smt7.asp
I think these both do what Haltech does and a bit more.
When I'm out of warranty, I'm looking at going with the SMT7 to tune my planned upgrades.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:40 PM
SharoSC02
5th Gear
these people are in South Africa?!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Originalhotrodder
1st Gear
That's true but they have dealers in other countries.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:51 PM
SharoSC02
5th Gear
Edited. Got the cost and countries.

Last edited by SharoSC02; 07-17-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:52 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Originalhotrodder
Before you purchase the Haltech, check out the SMT6 and SMT7 made by Perfect Power:
http://www.perfectpower.com/products/smt6.asp
http://www.perfectpower.com/products/smt7.asp
I think these both do what Haltech does and a bit more.
When I'm out of warranty, I'm looking at going with the SMT7 to tune my planned upgrades.
Haltech has been around for a long time. We first started using it in the late 80s or early 90s -- I can't quite remember. But today we use PerfectPower for stand alone needs. The US distributor is based in central NJ and we are a dealer.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:20 PM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dmh
Haltech has been around for a long time. We first started using it in the late 80s or early 90s -- I can't quite remember. But today we use PerfectPower for stand alone needs. The US distributor is based in central NJ and we are a dealer.
You are correct. They have been around a very long time.
They were in Texas originaly. Haltech & Electromotive were THE stand alone units. I use to use these stand alones on 911s as did many others. Electromotive was a little more popular because they had an ign module that pigged on to the fuel management ( back in the day ).
You could get all the pieces parts needed for a direct port modern injection system & fit it to just about any 911 ( all the Bosch K & L's were the easiest ). TWM made some pretty trick 2 & 3 barrel throttle bodies ( Still have a couple of 40mms ).
Haltech is in Australia now & still builds some verry good stand alone unites. I would bet their piggy is very good. I would be curious to know how much of the OE ECU is segregated.
What I can tell you is their software is very user friendly. I worked with their software back in the DOS days, even then, it was an easy learning curve. When they came out with a closed loop system their software was even better ( I think I still have a floppy ). You could change the injection pulse width from 0 to 15k rpms, cold start mixture & time and a whole lot more while driving the car, save the good maps, chuck the bad.
It's been interesting to watch the evelotion of the piggy back. What started out as piece that connecter between the OE ECU & the management plug ( which could add as much as 2 extra inches - usualy adding extra clearence problems ) has become, an almost stand alone engine management. I wish we had a SuperChip with an LCD & a bunch of maps like those Power Stroke, Cummings, GM guys have ( and the 180hp with an extra 100#TQ )
I guess I'll need to go to their site & check out what they have. As hot rodders go, the Aussies are more American than Americans, more power is more better.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:38 AM
33NIM
1st Gear
Price on the Perfect Power units DMH????
Cheers!