Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Headers without the cat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 08:44 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisW
Sorry guess we should get back on topic, I'm not sure where you live but in Cal It's a $10,000 fine. might be something to look into too.
I live in SC and catless is "cool" not to be mistaken with S C - aka; so cal. I have lived in cali my whole life and have dealt with high hp mustangs the whole time. Never have I had a cop pull me over and test my afr. If he did, i'd pay the $10,000 cause I got PWNED!

Old 07-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The debate comes up..

because on the Mini the header and the cat are the same item. They're welded together. So a header without a cat will leave your car without a cat. The exception is the OBX/Supersprint, where it terminates in a weld after the coupler, and many weld this to the stock cat.

Matt

Old 07-26-2007, 08:58 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a shot of my ceramic coated OBX mated to the stock Cat. O2 sensors are in the same location as stock. No codes/SEL lights. Had it on for about 5 months. No issues at all.

Jim

Old 07-26-2007, 09:11 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good Jim-

Alright, alright. . . let's clear this up-

First off, paradox- welcome to NAM, I didn't see you only had a few posts at the time, I normally like to welcome new members in when I can. I didn't call you a douche, I said: Try not to be a total douche. Keep the cat. I apologize this time if you were offended. And be sure to thank ChrisW for his warm welcome of "try a search next time" as well. At least I posted some info of worth.

Holier than thou is not where I'm coming from at all. I place humility at the top of my values. But it seems some are taking the position of "more ignorant than thou". . .

Catalytic converters is my most hot-button issue. It's virtually the ONLY piece on your car that does any good against pollution. AND, I never said a word about global warming- Any of you living in SoCal should be able to see the reason we have cats on cars. Local pollution, stank exhaust, lower mpg due to the ecu confusion with a/f ratio, $FINES$ etc. . . there are so many reasons to run a cat. Give me ONE to take it off! Just one! A half-horse? 2 ft. lbs of torque? the SOUND?!?!?!?!? Please. . .

Paradox- Thank you for promising to run a cat on your header- While we're on topic- Why do you want to do a header anyway? For the $$$ you can do any number of mods that are more bang/buck like an intake, exhaust, ECU (computer/chip) tuning, suspension mods (springs, arms, etc.) There are so many things you can drop $$$ on before you replace an already pretty efficient piece of internal plumbing you won't even see or feel anyway.

Even Randy from M7, one of the most respected tuners and parts manufacturers in the MINI industry just said:
Originally Posted by maxmini
I noticed ZERO performance between running with and without it.
I don't know what other proof you need! What seems to be the problem with the rest of you?

Last edited by sandtoast500; 07-26-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I call cat-less street cars out for what they are..

a selfish, inconsiderate action. Unless it's a pre 74 car.

Matt

Last edited by Dr Obnxs; 07-26-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:21 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
a selfish, inconsiderate action. Unless it's a pre 74 car.

Matt
"Headerless"? or "Cat-less"? Lots of cars out there running around without headers, both pre- and post-1974.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Catless.

Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
"Headerless"? or "Cat-less"? Lots of cars out there running around without headers, both pre- and post-1974.
Thanks for keeping me honest!

Matt

Old 07-26-2007, 09:24 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
Thanks for keeping me honest!

Matt
No, I'm just the bastard that decided to have a little fun with your typo before you realized you'd made it!

Old 07-26-2007, 09:27 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by paradoxrider04
I was interested in purchasing some headers when i started reading up on them a little more. How serious is this open and closed loop when purchasing headers without the cat. Is it going to give me a check engine light? I only ask because the difference in price can be like $800. Im just trying to figure out if its ok to get the headers without the cat? And does anybody have any good suggestions?
Works for me...

Old 07-26-2007, 09:31 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
By that, don't you mean it doesn't work?
Isn't that the point? If you had it, it would work.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:50 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
i'm just tryin to keep up with those stupid 450 whp sti's and evo's. sm leads me to the path of darkenessssss........

Old 07-26-2007, 09:51 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Lol, wow I forgot to put my flame suit on...anyway, what about all the other cars running no cats and just straight headers, ie. hot rods...

I don't run a CAT simply because of a few things.

1. The header was a ***** to install, so why in the world would I go through that again...
2. I would have to pay someone to re-install it...
3. I would have to pay someone to cut the CAT off and weld it to the ALTA Header
4. I already have fitment issues with the ALTA (sits to the left side) and I don't know if I COULD even run a CAT.
5. I don't feel like investing the added money...I'm only 17 and don't make the money you older folk do.
6. I don't think emissions is a big deal...I honestly could care a-less about california and all the smog-producing cars.

And for the record, Ohio doesn't have emissions testing, so I face NO legal actions, nothing to worry about. Again, if someone would like the piece of mind that I have a CAT, pay for one and pay to have it installed and I'll get one.

-Cody

Old 07-26-2007, 09:54 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by polizei
Lol, wow I forgot to put my flame suit on...anyway

good luck.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:56 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Haha it's ok...I didn't mean to start a debate, but it just seems like people want to blame the Earth's pollution all on me because of a metal piece I have on my car...oh well. I'm used to getting blamed everyday for things, I'm used to it.

-Cody

Old 07-26-2007, 09:56 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by sandtoast500
By that, don't you mean it doesn't work?
Isn't that the point? If you had it, it would work.
Yes it works for me because I don't have a cat...oh I'm so going to Hell for that...

Please excuse me, but I need to go finish changing my oil and pour it down the drain while the neighbors are sleeping...

Old 07-26-2007, 09:57 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
Well, spoken like a true teenager. No offense, it's just the way you don't give a sh*t about anything. those were the days.

If you don't make money like older folk, why did you even buy a header? That's really the last place to go for power gains anyway?

Old 07-26-2007, 09:59 PM
polizei
6th Gear
I didn't do it for power gains...and I didn't decide "I'm not going to run a CAT" because of the HP gains...because honestly I could care-a-less. Honestly the reason I wanted a header was to help my exhaust sound better, and I bought it used and it happened to be CAT-less. If it happened to be an ALTA header with a CAT I would have still bought it.

-Cody

Old 07-26-2007, 10:02 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Yes it works for me because I don't have a cat...oh I'm so going to Hell for that...

Please excuse me, but I need to go finish changing my oil and pour the used motor oil down the drain...
Har har. I mean this with the utmost respect- What's with that attitude? Do people think it's "cool"? If cats are so worthless, why aren't people cutting them off minivans? If they were, it wouldn't be cool, then everyone would have to put them back on. . .

Old 07-26-2007, 10:02 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE

And for the record, Ohio doesn't have emissions testing, so I face NO legal actions, nothing to worry about. Again, if someone would like the piece of mind that I have a CAT, pay for one and pay to have it installed and I'll get one.

-Cody
Actually, removing the catalytic converter violates federal law - it doesn't matter if you live in Ohio, California, or anywhere else in the U.S. You *are* subject to legal action, in the form of a $2500 fine. Just because Ohio doesn't do emissions testing, that doesn't make it legal.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:05 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
I didn't do it for power gains...and I didn't decide "I'm not going to run a CAT" because of the HP gains...because honestly I could care-a-less. Honestly the reason I wanted a header was to help my exhaust sound better, and I bought it used and it happened to be CAT-less. If it happened to be an ALTA header with a CAT I would have still bought it.

-Cody
Cody- Thats exactly the choice I would like to prevent as many times as possible. A little homework about the subject would allow people to make the correct, informed choice to run a cat.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:06 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Har har. I mean this with the utmost respect- What's with that attitude? Do people think it's "cool"? If cats are so worthless, why aren't people cutting them off minivans? If they were, it wouldn't be cool, then everyone would have to put them back on. . .
just kiddn...I really don't know why "others" are cutting off their cat...I did it for POWER...sorry if that is a bad excuse...

I do make sure Msfitoy does not put out any offensive fumes...she runs like a top very efficiently without any cat...

Old 07-26-2007, 10:09 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Cody- Thats exactly the choice I would like to prevent as many times as possible. A little homework about the subject would allow people to make the correct, informed choice to run a cat.
So now I'm being blamed for making a bad choice? My choice might be different...but if it was wrong no company would make a CAT-less header...Jezz....maybe I should just sell mine and buy another one with a CAT to please people.

And who is going to check my car for running a CAT and bust me for it?

-Cody

Old 07-26-2007, 10:09 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
I know, that's what the hood vents are for. . .

Also, with that many gauges you must be monitoring everything including exhaust, barometer, political climate. . .

Old 07-26-2007, 10:17 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
but if it was wrong no company would make a CAT-less header...
It says right on it: "for off-road use only"

In fact, on ALTA's site, they don't even offer the header without a cat! They advertise it as "replacement cat" that just happens to be attached to a header- http://www.altaminiperformance.com/p...alyst-w-Header

Old 07-26-2007, 10:19 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
...but if it was wrong no company would make a CAT-less header...

And who is going to check my car for running a CAT and bust me for it?

-Cody
Well, there are circumstances where running a cat-less exhaust is both beneficial *and* legal, but like installing full-race slicks and lexan windows, de-catting an exhaust is neither legal nor appropriate for a street-driven car.

And the likelihood of being caught doing something has absolutely no bearing on whether it's right/legal/ethical.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Headers without the cat?