Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain How I removed lots of mods and made lots more power… (Warning - long & detailed post)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 08:27 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PGT
I only brought it up to serve as the counterpoint to the incessant LDG leghumping going on in this thread. It ain't all roses...

"leghumping"? comments are on performance not business practices.... I agree with Bart... if you have a grievance.... I think starting a seperate thread would be better than polluting this one.... but that is just me and I don't moderate or work for NAM... don't know what the policy is.....

John is one of two tuners (that I am aware of) directly addressing the Mini ECU.... that is significant and appreciated.... I reserve my humping for better locations

Old 08-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
Look I'm not here to defend LDG and you are certainly entitled to your opinions as well as who you select for service but I'm not sure this is the place to air your grievences.
Right.

Originally Posted by SpiderX
"leghumping"? comments are on performance not business practices.... I agree with Bart... if you have a grievance.... I think starting a seperate thread would be better than polluting this one.... but that is just me and I don't moderate or work for NAM... don't know what the policy is.....

John is one of two tuners (that I am aware of) directly addressing the Mini ECU.... that is significant and appreciated.... I reserve my humping for better locations
Right again.

I've talked to John quite a few times, he's always been straight up. I'll be down there to see him soon.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:56 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see that we have sunk to standrd NAM...

Old 08-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by daflake
I see that we have sunk to standrd NAM...
Huh?

Old 08-01-2007, 11:11 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Hi John...I understand your talk with Jan went reasonably well...However, I'm wondering why you won't take him up on his offer to fly you out to CA and tune his RMW Mini? I sincerely believe you have the knowhow, experience and tools to get this done right and I hope you will reconsider taking up his offer...I think you won't regret this...Jan is a manufacturer, you are the tuner...I for one am very much looking forward for you to take this opportunity and make some real magic happen for all of us...
How about gettin this some traction? Anyone else interested besides me and Jan?

Old 08-01-2007, 11:16 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
i see no reason other then ego's why this would not work. They are not technically competitors. If they can agree to say that each of their products this will do nothing but help eachother and help us.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Sid, you might be better off seeing if John will just tune your car.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:33 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by PARTSMAN
Sid, you might be better off seeing if John will just tune your car.
I love to do that but it's not feasable for me to drive out there at this time...I also suspect that I have SC issues which I hate to find out that it's not tunable after having driven all that way...as Bob found out the hard way with other issues...

I thought if Jan is willing to pay for John to visit him, why not see what we all can learn? What do you say John?

Last edited by MSFITOY; 08-01-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:49 AM
mozzarella
Banned
I love to do that but it's not feasable for me to drive out there at this time...I also suspect that I have SC issues which I hate to find out that it's not tunable after having driven all that way...as Bob found out the hard way with other issues...

I thought if Jan is willing to pay for John to visit him, why not see what we all can learn? What do you say John?
Can't the head jesus dude just lay his hand on it and it's tuned, maybe since you've got a problem he could do it over the phone.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimusprime
i see no reason other then ego's why this would not work. They are not technically competitors. If they can agree to say that each of their products this will do nothing but help eachother and help us.
Perhaps but not necessarily. And while I can't speak for LDG; it's not like one is just down the road from another. John really needs/wants the car in his shop to do the work right.

John is really in the custom tune business not generic tunes. No two cars are identical so a generic tune would have to be on the conservative side. Are people that buy Jan's full package really looking for that? I don't think so but I could be wrong.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:03 PM
SteveS
4th Gear
For those with the 15% pulley, should the JCW belt (presumably a little shorter) be installed as a matter of course before dyno tuning? I haven't heard this yet, but LDG's assessment of Hornguy's car may indicate a more widespread issue. Especially of we are going to be going for higher rev limits, and more horsepower being transmitted to the supercharger.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:17 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by mozzarella
Can't the head jesus dude just lay his hand on it and it's tuned, maybe since you've got a problem he could do it over the phone.
Why the sarcasm? Who said I had a problem?

Old 08-01-2007, 12:27 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PARTSMAN
Huh?

I was talking about the sarcastic vendor bashing that goes on around here. People just don't know how to express themselves without putting others down. Pretty sad actually.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:29 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Can't the head jesus dude just lay his hand on it and it's tuned...

Old 08-01-2007, 12:31 PM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Originally Posted by SteveS
For those with the 15% pulley, should the JCW belt (presumably a little shorter) be installed as a matter of course before dyno tuning? I haven't heard this yet, but LDG's assessment of Hornguy's car may indicate a more widespread issue. Especially of we are going to be going for higher rev limits, and more horsepower being transmitted to the supercharger.
The proper belt to use with a 15% (assuming a stock crank) is a NAPA 060535 or equivalent. Easiest way to see if your belt is stretched and needs replacement is to check the index hole on the tensioner. You should be able to see at least half of the capture hole closest to the end of the tab. I'll try and get a picture later showing exactly what I mean.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:48 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CmdrVimes
The proper belt to use with a 15% (assuming a stock crank) is a NAPA 060535 or equivalent. Easiest way to see if your belt is stretched and needs replacement is to check the index hole on the tensioner. You should be able to see at least half of the capture hole closest to the end of the tab. I'll try and get a picture later showing exactly what I mean.

This is a nice piece of advice!

I changed my belt when I swapped out the SC even with the 15%. Don recommended it.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:57 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why the sarcasm? Who said I had a problem?
Mozz, nice to see you haven't changed yet. Sid he does that to everyone. I like his "peace sign" that he proudly displays though .

Old 08-01-2007, 12:58 PM
mozzarella
Banned
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Mozz, nice to see you haven't changed yet. Sid he does that to everyone. I like his "peace sign" that he proudly displays though .
What?

Old 08-01-2007, 12:59 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
I like his peace symbols de jour but it's hardly reflective of his attitude...

Old 08-01-2007, 01:01 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
I agree with this thread, I still have the stock IC, because the jury is still out on this subject. I still have the OEM crank pulley, same as above. But this car still has many mods that cost major money. What this is saying is that these cars still need "hardware" to make more power. Yes some of these mods are frivolous and are mostly bling, but in the end the major ones are still needed. And I do agree that a good tune seems to make all the differance. I hope guy's like Don at DMH pass on their info. so people in other parts of the country can benefit also.
I said the same thing way back on post #26, but with the wrong name I think .

Old 08-01-2007, 01:02 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
What?
What?

Old 08-01-2007, 05:12 PM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Originally Posted by daflake
This is a nice piece of advice!

I changed my belt when I swapped out the SC even with the 15%. Don recommended it.

This is what I was referring to by the index hole. You can see in this picture that about half of the index hole is showing. If you see less than that you should replace the belt.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:27 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
I had a brand new JCW belt for my 15%. It was slipping at LDG.

The above referenced NAPA took care the problem.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:50 PM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear

Last edited by SayGoodbye; 10-03-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:00 PM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CmdrVimes
Originally Posted by SayGoodbye
The only place I'm finding this part number is through Turner Motorsports...was hoping to find it locally. NapaOnline does not show the part number. Where have people been finding this belt?
Found it...
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...t+-+Serpentine

Quick Reply: Drivetrain How I removed lots of mods and made lots more power… (Warning - long & detailed post)