Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain How I removed lots of mods and made lots more power… (Warning - long & detailed post)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 01:12 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Daddy
I've met your wife, Sid. I don't believe you.
Any minute she'll kill me...

Old 08-04-2007, 01:23 PM
glnr13
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CmdrVimes
I made some stitched panoramas during some visits of mine to the shop. You can see them Here
nice panas

Old 08-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most companies do this on thier own..

Originally Posted by luckydoggarage
How about this idea. All the vendors on NAM should provide some info on their operation, a bio so to speak. Pictures of the facility, history, community involvement, equipment and capabilities, staff and post this on NAM. I'm talking about the things that established businesses have and do. This way it will be easier for our potential customers to see what is going on behind the scenes and this may shed some light on why vendors have different overheads. One would think that other information providers like MC2 magazine,for example, would do an article on where all these ideas and products come from and from whom rather than just infomercials for their advertisers. I've talked with other vendors about this and there seems to be quite a bit of interest in this idea. Let's see what happens.
on thier own websites. I guess the list of links in the vendor directory at least pools access to one spot, but leaves it up to each company to provide a description on thier own web site to whatever degree they care to. Another reason most companies do this on thier own is that one with a good rep gets market leverage from thier past accomplishements. Currently there are 17 reviews covering 8 vendors in the reviews section, so it seems the NAM members are voting with thier fingers for NOT collecting the data, surprising as that may be! I think there's a bit of hypocracy in the behaviour of NAM. We want access to information, but don't really activily use the features that are there to build the information into usable structures, instead we just **** into threads that die over time, only to repeate the discussions in some sort of wierd deja-vu type thing!

Anyway, if you and the vendors want to do more, I hope it gets more play than the reviews section!

Matt

Old 08-04-2007, 02:19 PM
ignote
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PGT
feel free to correct me then Sam...what exactly was it?

I was lured in with one price and then charged another without the benefit of being told beforehand. Heck...I would have been ok with paying more had anybody at actually LDG come to me and said 'the stock belt is slipping....you need a different size'. That never happened. In fact, John was giving me a tour of the shop the whole time, even taking me back to the bay where his tech handed me the stock pulley. Is it really that hard to set a proper expectation with a customer? Nope.

Seems if the advertised price was not an 'out the door' price for 90% of owners then bait and switch is clearly accurate (note LDG said that 90% of the cars they see need a belt for a 15% pulley swap).
Just to make it clear from my perspective.

I went in to LDG for a pulley some time before PGT and all I was charged was the advertised "special" price. Not even tax was added on and he did not install a smaller belt on mine either.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:23 PM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not even the $18 'shop supplies' fee? inconsistency is the issue here then

Old 08-04-2007, 02:27 PM
ignote
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
not even the $18 'shop supplies' fee? inconsistency is the issue here then
Nope. Nothing extra.
Something changed after that.

One more thing. I can afford your services Mr. LDG. I just don't think your services are worth the cost.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:07 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CmdrVimes

This is what I was referring to by the index hole. You can see in this picture that about half of the index hole is showing. If you see less than that you should replace the belt.
So you are saying the closer to the top the spring is the sooner you need to get a new belt.....right?

Old 08-06-2007, 06:50 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
So you are saying the closer to the top the spring is the sooner you need to get a new belt.....right?
Yep, or another way to say the same thing is: the less of the hole you see, the more you need a new belt.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Back to the original subject...

are there more of us that have found that some of the adders didn't add? Any more of us start working with more experienced helpers (vendors or friends) where the first thing done was to take crap off?

Really, what started this thread is really the most important lesson anyone can learn when they start to modify complex systems. Work with knowledge and experience, and if you don't have it yourself, partner with someone who does. It costs less overall, and more improvements will be made than false paths gone down.

Matt

Old 08-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
Really, what started this thread is really the most important lesson anyone can learn when they start to modify complex systems. Work with knowledge and experience, and if you don't have it yourself, partner with someone who does.
Ofcourse this is the best thing to do... unfortunately I think this has been tough for many as sometimes they THOUGHT they did partner with an person/vendor who had knowledge and expirence... and they ended up be sold a bunch of stuff they didn't really need... but hey... they have everything! With cool stickers to match!

If I could have collected money on every bet I have put on the table saying.. you will pop yer motor if you do that... or you will accually loose HP if you do that.. or..... LOL.. the list goes on...

by no means do I know everything... I just know what I have expirenced and tested...

I really feel for those who have spent 1000s and found out that they needed to only spend half that... the worst part is... Vendors and people like me that were trying to say that years ago were shunned and told... "that's not true..." or "those dyno #s are high" or... "dyno #s don't mean anything" and now alot of the vendors who cared back then are gone... and people like me are worn out... LOL

there are some new vendors who care... spawned from the likes of fighting the nay sayers... and some old ones who are just great honest people... but there are still some who try to sell thier kool aid... insted of quality stuff... and that sucks...

Last edited by Tüls; 08-06-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Yep....

the further I dig, the more of the aftermarket offerings I find that aren't the most thought out products.... But then again, I guess they're just giving the customer what they want! (Especially if it comes with cool stickers!)

I find the honest brokers have more of an ebb and flow than the never ending supply of people just learning to mod. Sometimes one gets a little tired about issueing the same warnings over and over..... When it happens, just recharge the batteries (That's what tequilla is for) and get back to the good fight!

Matt

Old 08-06-2007, 11:32 AM
W3IWI
5th Gear
I just got home after a few days in TX and I found this thread to be very interesting.

I live about 10 miles from LDG. My 2002 MCS has been one of John's "Beta test" mules. It is the first Mini that he used to learn how to install a pulley (15%) and it has been one of the cars for his new software testing. Other than the pulley and an Alta CAI, the engine is bone stock.

John's firmware tune does every thing that people say for it. Lots of mid-range torque increase, peak HP is now 190+, throttle response and engine backoff blurble make it feel like a "real" car.

Since John is a personal friend, some detractors may say that I am biased, but when they try my car, they become real believers !