Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA™ Q&A thread PART TWO 2nd Generation MINI

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 04:15 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by r56mini
Naaaaah, I just wanted to say butt a couple of times.
LMAO!!!

Old 11-02-2007, 06:01 PM
ACooperS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
Each one of those joints can be rotated etc.

So if you are off at the front, you are off at the back. So from the very first v-band joint, you can have everything twisted, with which the bend in the piping, could twist the muffler off to one side. Sorry for the confusion.
That was it. Catback section now running straight down the length of the car with no rattles.

Thanks Adam.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:32 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
SWEET! Love it when I am right! Have a GREAT weekend! adam@altaminiperformance.com

Old 11-11-2007, 08:49 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
................nevermind!

Last edited by ADAMSALTAMINI; 11-11-2007 at 08:50 PM. Reason: nvermind
Old 11-12-2007, 07:41 AM
ckbridge
1st Gear
Alta cat back

Like a couple other folks here I had the exhaust running down the tunnel sitting too far to the right.

I had followed Adams directions, and I also cut the pipe on the car. I had the cat-back off and back on the car three times trying to get it right (left). Then I remembered that the stock tips were a little off center and pointed to the right. Sure enough it was the OEM conection at the down pipe causing the insanity.

The instructions might want to say "don't trust the OEM alignment at the down pipe because that little bit gets magnified down the length of the system".

Today, no banging the chassis brace, sounds great, looks great, glad I bought it.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:34 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
SWEET! Thank you for the tip as well! Interesting point!

Thanks again folks!

Old 11-13-2007, 04:48 AM
djkajo
1st Gear
Hi.
The ALTA Modified injectors are based on stock injectors or jcw injectors??
Or something else...

Old 11-13-2007, 06:53 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by djkajo
Hi.
The ALTA Modified injectors are based on stock injectors or jcw injectors??
Or something else...

Thanks for asking. Although best to pose that question HERE!

They are using OEM S injectors.

Thanks for asking!

Old 11-13-2007, 10:24 AM
byhsu
4th Gear
ALTA:

What produces more power? The Turbo Inlet Hose or the Boost Tubes? I plan to order your CAI and add either of the above and later your Cat-Back Exhaust. So would like to get an idea.

Thanks

Old 11-13-2007, 10:26 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by byhsu
ALTA:

What produces more power? The Turbo Inlet Hose or the Boost Tubes? I plan to order your CAI and add either of the above and later your Cat-Back Exhaust. So would like to get an idea.

Thanks
Jeff? oh Jeff?

He will reply shortly! Thanks for asking!

adam@altaminiperformance.com

Old 11-13-2007, 10:53 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
I would say its a wash. At least from our testing, they both show an improvment of about 10WHP or so. I would say get the one that you like the looks of the best. Even that is tough as they both look really cool installed.

Wait.................just get them both.........

Old 11-13-2007, 11:05 AM
byhsu
4th Gear
I guess, my question, is which one will give me more torque down low, or in the midrange? I see your Cat-Back gets about 10WHP and your CAI is also about 10WHP.

Does it mean that with either the boost tubes or turbo inlet hose i will get another 10WHP on top of that? I am thinking that maybe the three combined, i will get maybe about 20 ~ 23WHP

I just checked the charts and seems that the Boost Tubes add more power than the Turbo Inlet Hose, also more torque down low and the midrange.

I would be great to have a package for your CAI, Boost Tubes, Cat-Back and ECU. Any news on how much that will cost and how much power it will yield? Hopefully over 200WHP

Last edited by byhsu; 11-13-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:33 PM
MiniVitu
1st Gear
Wideband

Hello, I am Martin From Argentina.... sorry for my english...

Will be available a wideband sensor for the gauges kit?

Old 11-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Figured it'd be worthwhile to repost this here. I'm planning to get the ALTA cat back exhaust installed next week but just want to clarify a few things.

Any comments on the sound of the cat back for those who have it? Also, has anyone added the downpipe after installing the cat back, or have all of you with the turbo back added both components simultaneously?

I know Adam said cat back is quieter than turbo back but is it still a nice step up from the stock sound??? I'll definitely do the turbo back eventually, just can't right now. So basically my question is whether it's better to only do the cat back now then add the down pipe in a couple months, OR wait and do the turbo back all at once come new year.

THANKS!

Old 11-15-2007, 09:33 AM
snkbte
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Msteadman
Figured it'd be worthwhile to repost this here. I'm planning to get the ALTA cat back exhaust installed next week but just want to clarify a few things.

Any comments on the sound of the cat back for those who have it? Also, has anyone added the downpipe after installing the cat back, or have all of you with the turbo back added both components simultaneously?

I know Adam said cat back is quieter than turbo back but is it still a nice step up from the stock sound??? I'll definitely do the turbo back eventually, just can't right now. So basically my question is whether it's better to only do the cat back now then add the down pipe in a couple months, OR wait and do the turbo back all at once come new year.

THANKS!
I just installed the Cat-back last week. First off you can feel the power difference,especially in the higher RPM range. No drone, and I was quite surprised by how quiet the car still is. Sound great under hard accleration, but still nice and quiet inside. I would definately recommend doing it. (After i do the ECU upgrade, I will see how the car feels and then make a decision on weather or not to buy the down pipe).

Old 11-15-2007, 11:10 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Msteadman

THANKS!
I'm rocking just the catback for now. Not a big fan of replacing factory cats, so I'll probably stay with just the catback for a while.

It sounds awesome! Not loud and farty like a Honda, but definitely louder than stock, and NO drone at any RPM. I could not be happier with the sound. Noticed a little more power also, but the sound was what I was going for, and I got exactly what I wanted!

Old 11-15-2007, 11:20 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by MiniVitu
Hello, I am Martin From Argentina.... sorry for my english...

Will be available a wideband sensor for the gauges kit?
All of the widebands i know of are 52mm or smaller. But they could be made to work with some spacers.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:07 PM
scott48
6th Gear
So with the newly released ecu, you mount it in the engine bay and then route the map selector switch through the firewall into the cabin, is that correct or not??? If that's correct, since I don't plan on ever changing maps, can't I just leave the switch in the engine bay with the rest of the unit...thanks as usual!!!

Old 11-18-2007, 06:30 PM
snkbte
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by scott48
So with the newly released ecu, you mount it in the engine bay and then route the map selector switch through the firewall into the cabin, is that correct or not??? If that's correct, since I don't plan on ever changing maps, can't I just leave the switch in the engine bay with the rest of the unit...thanks as usual!!!
Sounds like you can coil it up and tie wrap it under the hood somewhere (or mount the switch in a convenient area so that you could just open the hood and hit the switch if you want to run in the "slow mode" for what ever reason).

Old 11-18-2007, 08:43 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Originally Posted by snkbte
Sounds like you can coil it up and tie wrap it under the hood somewhere (or mount the switch in a convenient area so that you could just open the hood and hit the switch if you want to run in the "slow mode" for what ever reason).
that's exactly what I was thinking

Old 11-18-2007, 11:52 PM
chuntington101
3rd Gear
ALTA i have a question for you, and sorry if it has already been asked.

is there ever likely to be a turbo manifold made for the MINI?? either tubular or cast?? i can see the turbo option being very limited, and thus hard to make BIG power, if people have to stick with the stock manifold. if ALTA could come out with a VERY well made product like below there would be a good market for them.

here is a manifold to feast your eyes upon. there is very little space in there but they still get them to fit.
http://www.petergproduction.com/82c4...b4ec3-127.html
http://www.petergproduction.com/6b8b...53954-127.html

thaks Chris.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:19 AM
joshK
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chuntington101

is there ever likely to be a turbo manifold made for the MINI?? either tubular or cast?? i can see the turbo option being very limited, and thus hard to make BIG power, if people have to stick with the stock manifold. if ALTA could come out with a VERY well made product like below there would be a good market for them.

here is a manifold to feast your eyes upon. there is very little space in there but they still get them to fit.

thaks Chris.
mmmm...those are some pretty manifolds. I'm interested in this as well.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:14 AM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chuntington101

thaks Chris.

I think we'll run into fueling problems before needing stuff like that. Alta has posted pics of their turbo setup that uses the OEM mani, IMO its the best idea, no cracking, perfect fit, no problems. Those manis look nice. Check out www.full-race.com. I have a mani from them for my a4

Old 11-19-2007, 03:45 PM
4Azdmunky
1st Gear
Updated instructions for R56 for the OCC

Hey Alta
i noticed that the instructions for the OCC only cover up to 06. I looked around my R56 engine bay, and the instructions no longer look valid. I'm interested in adding an OCC, but want to make sure I hook it up right.

Any plans to update?

thanks

Old 11-19-2007, 04:29 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 4Azdmunky
Hey Alta
i noticed that the instructions for the OCC only cover up to 06. I looked around my R56 engine bay, and the instructions no longer look valid. I'm interested in adding an OCC, but want to make sure I hook it up right.

Any plans to update?

thanks
It is on THE list, just not at the TOP of the list. My apologies for the delay. You and others are not the only ones looking for the information.

Thank you again for the poke though!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA™ Q&A thread PART TWO 2nd Generation MINI