Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA™ Q&A thread PART TWO 2nd Generation MINI

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 04:49 PM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want some popcorn too =(

Old 08-27-2007, 08:46 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Oh christ! That was just my interpretation of the results. No mud slinging implied or intended. My point was simply there is a LOT of snake oil and people need to pay close attention to the dyno results shown. Good bad or otherwise. I wouldn't want ANYONE to pay any less attention to the results we post. We are EXTREMELY honest in our replies etc. Keep in mind that when I post, that I AM AN ENTHUSIAST AS WELL! Crap I own four of the darn things and can't wait for number five to show up! My money is equally hard earned as anyone on this board, I buy parts from other supporting vendors to compliment what my company offers. I don't want to waste my money and I certainly don't want anyone in the community to do the same.

Again this is MY two cents as Adam NOT as ALTA Performance. Lets get this thread back on track (and my sincerest apologies if anyone feels slighted here!)

Thank you again for all of your input!

Old 08-27-2007, 09:33 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 265 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by rattmobbins
Bigger turbo?

I just got through my 1200 mile break-in this weekend, and I am absolutely positively amazed by the amount of power and speed my MCS has stock! How on Earth can you guys possible NEED more power???
175 hp is not very much, 250 would be about right for me

Old 08-27-2007, 10:57 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So then Adam, when you said, you just plug it in and do the flash and then remove it; does that mean you can change it back to stock so the dealership wont know, and is this something you'll be able to do in your driveway?? Also, with your different map options, what's the hp and torque gain range I could be seeing on my car with your exhaust and intake??? Thanks as usual:~)

Old 08-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Xray'dit_Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by scott48
So then Adam, when you said, you just plug it in and do the flash and then remove it; does that mean you can change it back to stock so the dealership wont know, and is this something you'll be able to do in your driveway?? Also, with your different map options, what's the hp and torque gain range I could be seeing on my car with your exhaust and intake??? Thanks as usual:~)
I can't really speak for Adam, but to me it sounds very similar to the set up I had on my WRX. I had the AccessPort by Cobb. It was a device that plugged into the OBDII port and just reflased the computer, and you could reflash on the fly similar to the Sport Button you already have. It only took about 15 min for the initial install, and the flashes where instant. The best part was the dealer was never able to tell that I had reflashed the computer.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:35 AM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Xray'dit_Mini
I can't really speak for Adam, but to me it sounds very similar to the set up I had on my WRX. I had the AccessPort by Cobb. It was a device that plugged into the OBDII port and just reflased the computer, and you could reflash on the fly similar to the Sport Button you already have. It only took about 15 min for the initial install, and the flashes where instant. The best part was the dealer was never able to tell that I had reflashed the computer.
My buddy has an SCT excalibrator for his cobra, he can tune it himself as well with the software he has, pretty damn cool. I really hope we can edit convenience options vag com style (i had a vw, vag com is great). I just want power and maybe a little dealer tunability!

Old 08-28-2007, 08:33 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
mega72: I agree! I need to dyno my R56 and see where I am at. I drove the GP yesterday to work, and the R56 home and WOW what a difference. The R56 would just drive right around the GP. I need to get concrete numbers on both to be sure where I am at in relation to the 250 mark.

scott48: Yeah if everything goes as planned it will be a do it yourself when you want to thing in your driveway, Target parking lot, Costco, etc. Ez!

xraydit and a96: That is the basic idea. Cross your fingers!

Thanks guys for putting things back on track!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:09 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Adam, any chance of getting a new sound clip or 2 of Howard with intake installed?

Old 08-28-2007, 09:12 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
YES! Let me try that today!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:38 AM
scott48
6th Gear
sweeet....so Adam can you give me an estimate on the hp gains I could see on my car with what's done to it...pretty please...

Old 08-28-2007, 09:39 AM
scott48
6th Gear
sweeet....so Adam can you give me an estimate on the hp gains I could see on my car with what's done to it...pretty please...;~)

Old 08-28-2007, 01:04 PM
MrVvrroomm
3rd Gear
....must have more boost

Old 08-28-2007, 04:16 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Stupid camera crapped out today! Have a replacement tomorrow. (Not an excuse and explanation!) So should have the promised sound clips ASAP. Scott48: You might check out the posts from ALTA2 HERE and HERE

Might have what you are looking for in terms of dyno results.

MrVroom: Don't we all want more boost?

Old 08-28-2007, 05:59 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Stupid camera crapped out today! Have a replacement tomorrow. (Not an excuse and explanation!) So should have the promised sound clips ASAP. Scott48: You might check out the posts from ALTA2 HERE and HERE

Might have what you are looking for in terms of dyno results.

MrVroom: Don't we all want more boost?
Although I am no help to you now being so far away, my MCS should be here in a few weeks and a few ALTA bolt-ons are immediate priority. I will happily record professional grade before and after, inside and outside sound clips for myself, the forum, and you to use as you wish as well.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:00 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
p.s. more boost

Old 08-28-2007, 06:18 PM
scott48
6th Gear
okay, so what is the price range gonna be on the ecu?

Old 08-28-2007, 07:53 PM
chili_red07
5th Gear
I was looking at the Boost Tube Upgrade kit today, but saw no performance numbers. Is this more for looks? I was thinking about the intake + boost tubes, but wanted to know the real advantge to the boost tubes.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:29 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Fugitive AI: THANK YOU for the support. Let me know if I can help you in anyway.

Scott48: TBD

chili_red07: ALTA2 should have or will have posted some more exact numbers ASAP. The tubes are good for a noticable HP gain over stock, (exact #'s soon)due to the reduction in intake restriction (especially on the hot side of the intercooler as the muffler is removed and volume internally is increased.) Hope that helps! Let me know if I can help though!

Thanks folks! Love NAM members!

Last edited by ADAMSALTAMINI; 08-29-2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-28-2007, 08:42 PM
01CBR929
2nd Gear
Any idea as to when you all will release your Garrett turbo upgrade? I don't want to get a turboback now if I'm going to be replacing the downpipe with your turbo kit a couple of months later. Thanks

Old 08-29-2007, 07:29 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
01CBR: Good news! The turbo uses the same lower half of the DP. So only the top half will be changed and may be just included with the kit.

Last edited by ALTAPerformance; 08-29-2007 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 08-29-2007, 07:38 AM
chili_red07
5th Gear
So the boost tubes (7HP) + intake (10HP) + stock 175hp = 192 HP... more than the 189 in the JCW kit. Would you see similar performance with these parts? (for a total of $650... $1,450 less!)

and would these affect warranty?

Old 08-29-2007, 07:54 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Warranty is always a concern. But there is no real reason why either would have any affect on the warranty. A change to the ECU mapping, etc. would run far higher risk. Because of the MossMagnuson Act, they must prove the part caused the issue. Worst case the warranty is only voided on the part that was removed but that is replaced by the ALTA warranty.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-29-2007, 08:44 AM
benfica09
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chili_red07
So the boost tubes (7HP) + intake (10HP) + stock 175hp = 192 HP... more than the 189 in the JCW kit.
sorry man....but it doesnt work like that. in real world engine tuning, you can't add up claimed HP numbers to get final # for your car.
I also find it VERY hard to believe you can add 17hp with silicone hoses and an intake.
I would think a more realistic number would be 5-8hp. (combined) I'd like to be proven wrong though!

Dont get me wrong....these are great upgrades, but dont be jaded by the numbers game. For me, when selecting something like an intake I'm most concerned with finding something that is designed well and well built. If thought & research has been put into the design it'll show.

The difference between hp claims from manuf. to manuf. is so minimal it just doesnt feel that important to me.

Last edited by benfica09; 08-29-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:50 AM
chickenplucker
2nd Gear
Emissions Legal?

Originally Posted by maximusGeek
I am a new MINI driver and I'm interested in some of your products. How street legal are your cat-back and cold air systems? I live in CA, our rules are pretty restrictive. My understanding is if your products have CARB and/or OE numbers they are street legal.
I also need to know if my car will pass an emissions test here in Texas with the cat back and downpipe installed. That would be a significant marketing point, but I did not find any verbiage on your site emphasizing such.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:52 AM
chili_red07
5th Gear
Originally Posted by benfica09
sorry man....but it doesnt work like that. in real world engine tuning, you can't add up claimed HP numbers to get final # for your car.
I also find it VERY hard to believe you can add 17hp with silicone hoses and an intake.
I would think a more realistic number would be 5-8hp. (combined) I'd like to be proven wrong though!

Dont get me wrong....these are great upgrades, but dont be jaded by the numbers game. For me, when selecting something like an intake I'm most concerned with finding something that is designed well and well built. If thought & research has been put into the design it'll show.

The difference between hp claims from manuf. to manuf. is so minimal it just doesnt feel that important to me.
I'd like to start by saying that I'm new to the whole tuning thing, so bear with me if I'm asking simple questions.

5-8hp combined? Would you even feel a difference? I'd like to see real-world dyno results from anyone who has these parts on an otherwise stock MCS. Does that mean to get Alta's HP claims you need everything else in conjunction with them to reach their full potential? Does anyone have experience with this?

And why can't you add horsepower numbers together? (sorry if that's a dumb question)

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA™ Q&A thread PART TWO 2nd Generation MINI