Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA™ Q&A thread PART TWO 2nd Generation MINI

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Kirkland
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding the downpipe: Chris (at Alta) checked about 6 weeks ago and the only code is P0420. I have the O2 spacers he provided but everyone was at a meeting that day at Alta so they are still uninstalled.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:38 AM
six-fingers
4th Gear
I don't know if this has been asked if so I'm sorry

But

I'm looking into purchasing your CAI for an R56. I was wondering how difficult it is to do a DYI install or do you guys recommend having it professionally installed, if its the latter do you know any where in either Jacksonville Fl, or Orlando Fl to do the Install

Thanks.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:23 AM
th3118
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really nothing tricky, check out their instructions:
http://www.altaminiperformance.com/s.../ampint400.pdf

Originally Posted by six-fingers
I don't know if this has been asked if so I'm sorry

But

I'm looking into purchasing your CAI for an R56. I was wondering how difficult it is to do a DYI install or do you guys recommend having it professionally installed, if its the latter do you know any where in either Jacksonville Fl, or Orlando Fl to do the Install

Thanks.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:00 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Kirkland
Regarding the downpipe: Chris (at Alta) checked about 6 weeks ago and the only code is P0420. I have the O2 spacers he provided but everyone was at a meeting that day at Alta so they are still uninstalled.
The spacer goes on the lower sensor into the DP itself. Just reach underneath, remove the O2 sensor, twist the spacer in and tighten, then install the sensor back. I recommend NOT resetting the ECU, but some clients do. Up to you.

If the spacer does the job, the light should go off in the next 10-20 start stop key cycles with driving. Has to relearn that everything is ok. Don't be startled that the light will still be on for a bit (hence the reason I say NOT to reset the eCU.)

Let me know if I can help further!

Old 12-07-2008, 01:02 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by th3118
Really nothing tricky, check out their instructions:
http://www.altaminiperformance.com/s.../ampint400.pdf
Thanks for getting that posted up! it isn't hard at all. Plus there is my DIY's

CLICK HERE

as well for future use.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:34 AM
jcap287
School away from MINI
Any updates on the fabled tune?

Old 12-17-2008, 09:43 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jcap287
Any updates on the fabled tune?
YES! Things are going really well. The R53 version should be shown ASAP, the R56 after that. Just finishing the final protocols necessary to read / write through the data port.

The "tune" is still done, just needs to be transferred to the tool when available.

Hope that helps! Thanks for the collective patience!

Old 12-18-2008, 06:11 AM
MINIutia
3rd Gear
Alta resonator rattle

Adam, my recently-installed Alta turbo-back has developed a rattle/buzz that appears to be coming from the resonator. This only occurs during the first minute of warm-up. Is this a familiar issue to you, what do you recommend - warranty claim?

Old 12-18-2008, 09:50 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MINIutia
Adam, my recently-installed Alta turbo-back has developed a rattle/buzz that appears to be coming from the resonator. This only occurs during the first minute of warm-up. Is this a familiar issue to you, what do you recommend - warranty claim?
Thanks for the purchase and the post. Couple things to check. Be sure the heat shields are far enough away from the resonator. That might be the source of the noise, and not the actual resonator itself.

Moving forward. If that doesn't fix the concern, then contact us and we can pursue the warranty for you. Happy to help in anyway we can to make you happy!

Keep me posted!

Old 12-18-2008, 09:34 PM
jcap287
School away from MINI
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
YES! Things are going really well. The R53 version should be shown ASAP, the R56 after that. Just finishing the final protocols necessary to read / write through the data port.

The "tune" is still done, just needs to be transferred to the tool when available.

Hope that helps! Thanks for the collective patience!

I can't wait for the next step to the darkside! haha

Old 12-31-2008, 11:10 AM
jcap287
School away from MINI
any updates on the tune?

Old 12-31-2008, 12:50 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jcap287
any updates on the tune?

Still hammering away. Tune is done, just need the tool done!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Old 01-04-2009, 11:11 AM
MINIutia
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Thanks for the purchase and the post. Couple things to check. Be sure the heat shields are far enough away from the resonator. That might be the source of the noise, and not the actual resonator itself.

Moving forward. If that doesn't fix the concern, then contact us and we can pursue the warranty for you. Happy to help in anyway we can to make you happy!

Keep me posted!
Discovered and eliminated the noise today. R&R of the resonator and I found a narrow 6" long strip of curled stainless steel inside the resonator. Looked like a piece sliced from a sheet in the manufacturing process. It was hooked into the perforated cylinder core in the resonator. It was hard to pull free and looks to have been caught in an internal weld.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:26 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MINIutia
Discovered and eliminated the noise today. R&R of the resonator and I found a narrow 6" long strip of curled stainless steel inside the resonator. Looked like a piece sliced from a sheet in the manufacturing process. It was hooked into the perforated cylinder core in the resonator. It was hard to pull free and looks to have been caught in an internal weld.
So weird! My apologies, but I am glad you got it worked out! Please let me know if I can help in the future!

Old 01-08-2009, 04:14 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by java6673
I have a big toruble with two of te Alta component:
Intercooler: I soon I installed, a engine code apper (Code P115D or BMW 11099 - MED17.211099Mass or Volume Air Flow 'A' Air Mass Too High Compared to Model) So if this mean what I think is it, this intercooler can't be installed on a Clubman S - Can somebody check if this is correct?

Second Item: Crank Pulley, I soon the engine rotate to test, this pulley damaged the friction wheel on the water pump, see picture attact, item # 3
Hey Java,

I remember speaking to you earlier today. (Or I spoke to your installer who was having problems.)

Intercooler:

First issue I was made aware of was the temperature sensor was unplugged on the front bumper. Make sure that is reconnected and the ECU reset.

Second you are mentioning now is this maf signal. That indicates a leak. I would double check the connections on the intercooler, etc. Likely a clamp is loose.

Third: The intercooler is a pass through part. When installed properly it CAN'T create a CEL. Just can't, isn't possible. Check again the above and PM me with additional concerns.

Crank Pulley:

First issue: Is it installed the right way out? It COULD be installed either way as it is a bolt on unit. But it has arrows that show where and how it should be orientated.

Second: The accessories are ran by the belt and the ALTA pulley is the same diameter as the OEM. Check the belt routing and be sure the tensioner is going the proper direction. While the belt COULD go on two ways, one would surely create a problem like what you describe.

Finally, we at ALTA ALWAYS want to help. I am confused that you (or the installer) rang me today, then instead of calling back, this is posted here. Feel free to call me, PM me or e-mail me with any further concerns. I am sure the solution will be easy with the information I provided above!

Chat soon!

Last edited by gnatster; 01-11-2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Merged into this forum from an incorrect one.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:49 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
<<Caveat: This is my first ever exhaust mod, so experience is limited to Alta>>

I just installed the Alta catback (polished dual tip) with the help of some club buddies and thought I'd share some observations.

The good:
Looks: Polished, pristine, & totally rocking. Went with the polished tips so at a quick glance they would look like MINI OEM unlike the ovals or stealth versions.
Sound: Throaty while accelerating, subtle while cruising at constant v. Exactly what I was looking for.
Power: She's smooth & responsive. Turbo spools up quickly & all is good. I'm not likely to dyno her, so actual numbers won't be available.

The Bad:
Instructions: As easy as it is to install, I would have liked having a couple more pics for clarity.
Installation: Would have liked to have more clearance between the resonator and that goofy OEM bracket. The tips clear the rear bumper by about an inch just barely making the "Alta" logos fully visible. Would have liked a little more without having to cut that bracket, which I did not want to do.

The Ugly:
Not a freakin' thing was ugly.

Overall:
Excellent system. Really loving it. Thanks a bunch to Alta!

Old 01-12-2009, 09:05 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by OPC
<<Caveat: This is my first ever exhaust mod, so experience is limited to Alta>>

I just installed the Alta catback (polished dual tip) with the help of some club buddies and thought I'd share some observations.

The good:
Looks: Polished, pristine, & totally rocking. Went with the polished tips so at a quick glance they would look like MINI OEM unlike the ovals or stealth versions.
Sound: Throaty while accelerating, subtle while cruising at constant v. Exactly what I was looking for.
Power: She's smooth & responsive. Turbo spools up quickly & all is good. I'm not likely to dyno her, so actual numbers won't be available.

The Bad:
Instructions: As easy as it is to install, I would have liked having a couple more pics for clarity.
Installation: Would have liked to have more clearance between the resonator and that goofy OEM bracket. The tips clear the rear bumper by about an inch just barely making the "Alta" logos fully visible. Would have liked a little more without having to cut that bracket, which I did not want to do.

The Ugly:
Not a freakin' thing was ugly.

Overall:
Excellent system. Really loving it. Thanks a bunch to Alta!
Thanks OPC! Appreciate the feedback. Sorry there wasn't more detail to the instructions. I will review them again and see what I can do.
Thanks again for choosing ALTA!

Old 03-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Topmini
3rd Gear
yo adam. im gona buy alta cai for my car but i just saw the instruction PDF and it seems that my car is different than the one in the picture.
here are some photos, please tell me if the cai u have online is good for my r56, or is the another version for my car.
-oliver-motor.jpg
-oliver-motor-2.jpg
(ps my car was bought in mexico, and i think it is the european version)

Old 03-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
TUNE Details!!!!

Old 03-21-2009, 12:05 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Topmini
yo adam. im gona buy alta cai for my car but i just saw the instruction PDF and it seems that my car is different than the one in the picture.
here are some photos, please tell me if the cai u have online is good for my r56, or is the another version for my car.
Attachment 40782
Attachment 40781
(ps my car was bought in mexico, and i think it is the european version)
you do not have the MAF that the US version does.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:59 PM
dwebber18
3rd Gear
Got a question for everyone. Just got the Alta turboback exhaust installed and it has a really bad vibration noise when the engine is at 2k rpm's. I'm thinking maybe its because the exhaust is rubbing on the heat shield or something and 2k is where it likes to make noise. I'm going to take it back to the shop Monday and see if they can figure out whats wrong but what does everyone think? Thanks

Old 03-21-2009, 05:16 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dwebber18
Got a question for everyone. Just got the Alta turboback exhaust installed and it has a really bad vibration noise when the engine is at 2k rpm's. I'm thinking maybe its because the exhaust is rubbing on the heat shield or something and 2k is where it likes to make noise. I'm going to take it back to the shop Monday and see if they can figure out whats wrong but what does everyone think? Thanks
you are probably correct. I just heard an alta exhaust one of my friends installed yesterday and no vibrations. just a bit deeper sound than stock.. sounded really good.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:37 PM
dwebber18
3rd Gear
Yeah im really liking it, but the whole vibration think sucks, I'll get it checked out though

Old 03-22-2009, 07:01 AM
mzangari
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dwebber18
DWEBBER18....I had the same issue after the install of my turboback. It was the heatshield rubbing against the exhaust...have the shopt check it out. My guy made some very minor modifications to the heat sheild, cut it, bent it back and now no vibrations. One other thing to check is the oem bracket towards the back of the car. We only had about a 1/2 inch clearance here and so trimmed that back a bit as well. Good luck.
Regards,
Mike

Old 03-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Herman da German
2nd Gear
I installed my Alta turboback last night and I have a vibration on mine too! I know where its coming from though. That big a$$ resonator rubbing on the heat shield. I tried pushing it up as far as I could last night because I knew it was a tight fit. I had to notch out my M7 heat shield also because the O2 bung was slightly tilted more than the stock one. Whoever thought that 2 piece heat shield up on the down pipe ought to be fired. What pain that was. That's a lot of complaining for one post huh. All in all after all the pain and a long list of cuss words it was worth it. It sounds great! For some reason the blow off is blowing off better now.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA™ Q&A thread PART TWO 2nd Generation MINI