Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ALTA's Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 03:38 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lttletimmy
hey Adam,

I know you guys are having problems with the image server, but is there any way you could post up some sort of link or attachment for the intercooler install PDF? I'd love to look it over while mine is en route
Working on it now! Sorry!

Old 04-11-2008, 03:39 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ENGINE 58
just got to work and you can feel the ic . i need more time driving it around but you can tell its got some more juice.
SAWEET!

Old 04-12-2008, 04:50 AM
lttletimmy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Working on it now! Sorry!
No worries, I got my hands on a set

Old 04-13-2008, 05:05 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
INSTRUCTIONS NOW AVAILABLE CLICK HERE!

Questions? Just let me know!

Old 04-13-2008, 08:00 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
so thats how the rubber strip goes on. i got it on backwards. its all good i will fix it on tuesday. the new updated instructions are great. nice and clear . thank you.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:31 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ENGINE 58
so thats how the rubber strip goes on. i got it on backwards. its all good i will fix it on tuesday. the new updated instructions are great. nice and clear . thank you.
SWEET! Glad I could help!

Thanks again for the business!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:39 AM
papadimitriou
2nd Gear
Hey folks, I just kicked Jeff in the stones to get some more info up. But i was informed that much of that has to be reloaded due to a perpetual issue with our image server. Regardless he will be up and on here ASAP!

Thanks for the continued patience guys! We want nothing more than to help!
Adam,
finally, will we have an update about my question?
Thanks

Old 04-18-2008, 10:59 AM
papadimitriou
2nd Gear
Adam,
after so many days of silence, will we have an update regarding the promissed gains of the ALTA FMIC alone in the R56?

Thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 04:04 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by papadimitriou
Adam,
after so many days of silence, will we have an update regarding the promissed gains of the ALTA FMIC alone in the R56?

Thanks

By no means am I trying to cause issue or fits for you. I want to get you the info. But I am at the mercy of my staff. I will ask Jeff again to see if he can publish it for you.

Sorry again for any inconvenience.

I forgot to ask, are you concerned the gains are too great, too small, not applicable to your situation etc.? Give us (NAM not just me and Jeff) more information so we can help you better!

Chat soon!

Old 04-21-2008, 06:12 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I forgot to ask, are you concerned the gains are too great, too small, not applicable to your situation etc.? Give us (NAM not just me and Jeff) more information so we can help you better!

Chat soon!
Concerned gains are too great... like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR4uJIk3BMk

my (stealth) FMIC should be shipping any day now. I'll post feedback once it's on. I CAN'T WAIT!

Old 04-21-2008, 07:05 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Lots of stuff here showing the prototype dyno vs the final design.
http://www.altaminiperformance.com/pages/show/56
The prototype core showed gains of about 10HP and 15ft-lbs over stock at certain RPM points. THe final design is less restricvtive and cools better! So it makes more power everywhere! Below is our results from the prototype core to the redesign core.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:19 AM
papadimitriou
2nd Gear
By no means am I trying to cause issue or fits for you. I want to get you the info. But I am at the mercy of my staff. I will ask Jeff again to see if he can publish it for you.

Sorry again for any inconvenience.

Chat soon!

Adam,
when I buy a product from a respective company, I expect from the vendor to provide me some certain info about the performance of this product and only this versus the OEM one.
In your site you present a graph that shows some significant gains but from 3 products and not the one that this section concerns of...
Jeff published some graphs of a prototype, and then a comparison between the prototype and the final design.
But again not a graph of the final design versus the OEM one(probably the only graph that should exists there from the begining...)
Regarding the gains, I am concerned from the fact that the mentioned gains are over the 4000 rpms, but this is probably due to the air flow(I suppose...).

Old 04-22-2008, 01:24 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by papadimitriou
Adam,
when I buy a product from a respective company, I expect from the vendor to provide me some certain info about the performance of this product and only this versus the OEM one.
In your site you present a graph that shows some significant gains but from 3 products and not the one that this section concerns of...
Jeff published some graphs of a prototype, and then a comparison between the prototype and the final design.
But again not a graph of the final design versus the OEM one(probably the only graph that should exists there from the begining...)
Regarding the gains, I am concerned from the fact that the mentioned gains are over the 4000 rpms, but this is probably due to the air flow(I suppose...).
I completely agree, which is what we try to do when we release a product. We test it, we prove it and show everyone how and why it works.
We have results on the OEM one vs. our prototype, and we have results on our prototype vs. our final design. You are correct that we The only thing that throws a wrench into the works is we can't get the data from the dyno from the original runs we did (didn't own that dyno at the time and data is gone). But from our first test with the proto:

We saw the gains we saw, which were great low end gains, and a little up top. Like we mentioned in our original post, this was our initial test, and we went back to the drawing board to make some changes. A few months passed, new tanks, new core were all built and we tested the proto vs. the final design and got this from back to back runs:

From the old data to the new data we can say for 100% that our newer intercooler make minimum gain of 10WHP over the stock core. If we add in the difference from the old core to the new one, we could "guess that it makes.

This is just one aspect of the intercooler. We backed both of the cores up with temp in and outs, pressure drop and overall feel of the car. AT some point we will do a stock IC to our IC in back to back runs, but from the data we have provided, you should be able to determine for 100% that it works, and makes power. I don't think anyone else has provided this much data on how thier IC was designed, or the progress they made or final HP numbers.

If you are looking for a graph on a bone stock car, this is not something we have done. Eventually we will, but we have dynoed the FMIC with parts we feel 99% of the customers are going to have. WE have shown it with a full turboback with stock intake, with intake and so on... IF we start dynoing every combo parts, this confusing amount of data will do just that, confuse people. Showing one graph with one gain with a set of parts installed gets the point across as to how it works. Its not like it won't make power on a stock car because of a stock exhaust holding back power. That is just silly to think that. The gains will be less, that what we saw on the above graph. But at the same time, the gains will be higher on a car with a Unichip running more boost.

I hope this answers your questions and concerns. Also if there are more questions this rises, we are here to answer your questions! LATER!

Old 04-22-2008, 04:00 PM
ukaussi
2nd Gear
I would definitely agree that before you install an FMIC you should have at least already installed a CAI and upgraded the intake boost tubes to ensure that you have freed up the intake side of your system.
Indeed, I have done exactly this and I found a noticeable improvement across the whole powerband when driving, especially at the upper end.

So I would agree with a comparison of bone stock OEM v FMIC/CAI/boost tubes or something similar.

Although an aftermarket exhaust will see gains I don't agree it is essential to have it BEFORE an FMIC as one of the major reason to get an FMIC is to reduce heat soak and/or keep charge temps down. IMHO, no type of exhaust is going to help charge temps or alter them.

So unfortunately your not going to know really how much difference an FMIC really makes and at $800+ that is an expensive unknown if you want an exact answer.

I would love to get the FMIC as I live in TX but again, IMHO, it is just too much $$$ right now...... If only MINI hadn't hidden 1/2 the damn thing behind the lower section of the front bumper

Old 04-22-2008, 05:34 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You gotta hand it to Alta though for being so quick to market with truly great quality products that produce measurable and quite noticeable improvements

With that said, several of you have a good point that more detailed and consistent specifications and dyno results would only increase sales but Alta still in general provides FAR more data than any other company on R56 products.

Once the ECU and FMIC I ordered arrive and are installed, I will get my car dynoed and post results here.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:20 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by FugitiveAI
You gotta hand it to Alta though for being so quick to market with truly great quality products that produce measurable and quite noticeable improvements

With that said, several of you have a good point that more detailed and consistent specifications and dyno results would only increase sales but Alta still in general provides FAR more data than any other company on R56 products.

Once the ECU and FMIC I ordered arrive and are installed, I will get my car dynoed and post results here.
Duly noted! We will continue to do the before and afters on stock cars. As Jeff mentioned the FMIC is really an upgrade not for the first mod. (Unless you live in the HEAT belt of the world.)

Thanks again guys!

Old 09-03-2009, 10:22 AM
HamiltonSeth
2nd Gear
This intercooler conversation has given me a bit of insight into the mod. However, I am still torn between getting a Riss catless downpipe or an intercooler. Could any of you guys visit my thread and give me some advice:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tercooler.html
Thanks,
Seth

Old 09-03-2009, 10:26 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
I did the intercooler first...then the DP. My mod timeline is as follows...
1. Air intake
2. Catback Exhaust
3. Intercooler
4. Downpipe
5. Stubby antenna!
Next to come will be turbo inlet hose and boost tubes!