Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain haltech intercepter

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 03:41 AM
jayk
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haltech intercepter

Hi guys
I just got my 03 mini cooper S for couple of weeks after major upgrades (eg haltech interceptor, final drive, spec clutch, ported head, coil, manifold and full exhaust etc).

first thing i notice is that the car is stalled very easily. it happens mostly when i push the clutch down and let the car roll (like 5-10 seconds).eg. when i approach traffic light, just let the car roll to the stop line, then clutch down, suddenly just stalled silently. it did not have any 'choking' noise. it's so smooth that i only realise when i look at the gauge.

i dunno what went wrong..maybe i need to adapt a new driving tecnique :P
nevertheless, it's very dangerous that suddenly it happens when cars are right behind me.

you guys have any similar experience when upgrade the ECU?

Old 09-23-2007, 04:26 AM
supercoopers
3rd Gear
I had this problem as well, but no more . What you need is a remap with a raised idle speed to about 800-1000rpm at idle. That way the car will not stall due to all the drivetrain changes

I use a MTH remap for this btw, but I'm sure that custom remaps can offer the same deal.

Cheers,

Henry

Old 09-23-2007, 07:10 AM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get a idler reflash at the dealer usually for free, or very little cost. It only take 2 minutes. The highest the dealer can go is 950, but it is extremely easy to have them do it.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:47 AM
jayk
2nd Gear
cool..thanks guy..i was thinking about the idle speed as well..currently i think my idle speed is a bit lower than '1' on the gauge. not sure the exact spreed.

i gather the car may be a bit noiser at idle after change then...anyway it will be good to solve the problem..

the dealer suggests me to upgrade to haltech E8 model, saying it will solve the problem and give more power as well. but i refuse it due to the cost and i am quite happy with the current performance already.

what is MTH by the way please?

Old 09-24-2007, 05:22 AM
jayk
2nd Gear
i just spoke to my dealer, they claim they cannot adjust the idle speed with my Haltech interceptor. it is for fuel and ignition management only.

is it true? i thought it should be pretty simple to adjust and normal ECU should be capable right?!!

Old 09-24-2007, 08:58 PM
jayk
2nd Gear
i read other post. would my problem come from the throttle body and air bleed?

Old 09-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jayk
i just spoke to my dealer, they claim they cannot adjust the idle speed with my Haltech interceptor. it is for fuel and ignition management only.

is it true? i thought it should be pretty simple to adjust and normal ECU should be capable right?!!

find someone with an autologic system... takes 30sec to raise the idle

Old 09-25-2007, 12:52 AM
jayk
2nd Gear
my dealer was saying the factory ECU would revert to its original setting even after adjustment (sound quite protective) and the Interceptor cannot overwrite the factory program. that is very annoying. i contacted Haltech, they said maybe i can check the throttle body and air bleed ? !! they control the idle speed?