Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 12:08 PM
poolemac
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LSD?

Hey Guys,

Seriously considering an '07 MCS and wondering what the take was on the Limited Slip Diff. I'm coming from an Audi so I'm used to the "grip" of an AWD system. Am I going to be disappointed without the LSD? I will most definitely be modifying the drivetrain (software, exhaust at the least) so will the increased power be more difficult to put to the ground without it?

Does the LSD prevent one from "burning out"?

TIA,

Andrew

Old 10-04-2007, 12:25 PM
ScottMHoffman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The LSD helps but will not have the grip of an AWD. I find it gets a little choppy in a turn under hard accelaration. I am sure their are better aftermarket LSD but for the money it is worth it.

The LSD does not prevent a burnout but the computer does its best to prevent one.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:35 PM
poolemac
3rd Gear
Yea, I am not expecting AWD-like grip, in fact I'm partly excited to be able to spin the wheels finally. (My 190hp A4 would have nothing of it

Regarding computer intervention, is that a function of the DSC or does every MCS have some sort of traction-control built-in?

Old 10-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Salty
3rd Gear
I don't have it and I could care less, but I'm not into auto crossing or any kind of racing. I just like to punch it occasionally on an on ramp and speed through tight corners...

Old 10-04-2007, 01:13 PM
ScottMHoffman
2nd Gear
I have the DSC with it on it will not do a burn out. With it off, sometimes it will sometimes it will not allow the burnout. Have not figured it out.

I had an 03 and the 07 is noticably faster. The harder you plan to drive the more you will enjoy the LSD. I would skip the DSC and keep the LSD if I ordered again.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:30 PM
scott48
6th Gear
LSD is totally worth the $500

Old 10-04-2007, 02:59 PM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
the dsc is what prevents the burnout. with it off it is very easy to burnout

Old 10-04-2007, 05:27 PM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have it, but not quite sure how to tell if and when it's engauged

Old 10-04-2007, 06:02 PM
JDR
3rd Gear
A few times in highschool, but thats it!

Old 10-04-2007, 06:32 PM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
^^ haha

Old 10-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
poolemac,

You did not mention where you live. The LSD is fantastic if you live where it snows. It makes a world of difference especially when matched with real snow tires, not some all-season junk. Do yourself a big favor and get a set of narrower 16" wheels and dedicated snow tires such as the Nokian Hakkapeliitta in a 185 or 195 width. The narrower the better.

The factory LSD can only transfer about 30% of the torque to the wheel with traction so it does not eliminate wheel spin completely. It is a big improvement over an open diff.

It is also very effective on wet roads.

The DSC is Dynamic Stability Control and really is just used when it detects the car spinning/rotating such as extreme oversteer or a spin out. It will then activate and apply brake force to an individual wheel to try and keep the car from spinning/rotating and allow you to steer out of the spin.

All MCSs sold in the USA come standard with ASC+T which is traction control. Whether or not you get the DSC you will still have the traction control. It is the traction control that will cut engine power to prevent wheel spin; coming out of a corner, trying to climb a hill in the snow, or trying to start from a stop on snow or ice.

Either the DSC or ASC+T can be de-activated with a switch on the dash. Do not pass up the safety of the DSC just because you hear other people complaining about it preventing wheel spin on takeoff or killing power. The ASC+T will be there no matter what and that is what is killing the power to prevent wheel spin.

From my experiences over the past 5 years, with two different MCS, one without LSD and one with, I would not consider getting another MINI, or any other car, without some form of DSC and LSD. Driving in the real world can throw things at you that you would never expect, when you least expect them. It is at that time that the DSC pays for itself in spades. In my opinion, cheap at any price.

I especially like the combination of DSC, ASC+T and LSD. MINI AG alters the threshold at which the ASC+T activates allowing more wheel spin when the LSD is spec'd.

JOHO

Old 10-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by familiarstranger
the dsc is what prevents the burnout. with it off it is very easy to burnout
Actually, it is the ASC that prevents burnout. If you have DSC on, ASC will be on. IIRC, turning off DSC, will turn off ASC.

ASC comes with all R56 MINIs. I prevents drive wheel spin by cutting engine and applying the brake to the spinning wheel.

LSD transfers power to the non-spinning wheel, so it puts power down more effectively than ASC. You don't want a modded MCS without it.

DSC is an option that helps control a slide. It has nothing to do with putting power to the ground.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:12 PM
01CBR929
2nd Gear
I can see myself getting a quaife lsd in the future. As for the burning out, it will keep you from doing a pegleg burnout.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:14 AM
poolemac
3rd Gear
thanks!

Thanks for all the tips, guys. Sounds like the LSD is a must

Another question in case people are still reading--has anyone figured out how to "hardwire" the sport button so that it's always on?

Old 10-05-2007, 10:32 AM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
thanks robin. so if one does not order DSC do you still have the button next to sport so that you can turn it off? if so what does it say?

Old 10-06-2007, 03:43 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by familiarstranger
thanks robin. so if one does not order DSC do you still have the button next to sport so that you can turn it off? if so what does it say?
Yes you have the "ASC" button located next to "SPORT." When turned off - angry warnings are displayed on the tach.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:33 AM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
thanks krut! it all makes sense now. we DSC owners get angry warnings too

Old 10-06-2007, 02:47 PM
ltjpunk7
4th Gear
Originally Posted by poolemac
Another question in case people are still reading--has anyone figured out how to "hardwire" the sport button so that it's always on?
yeah, some guys (I think Coffeeman was the first) have done it. Check the Electrical section.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:52 PM
snkbte
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by poolemac
Thanks for all the tips, guys. Sounds like the LSD is a must

I have the LSD and am very satified with its performance. As far as I know,no one has come up with a by-pass to keep the sport button on. When I start my car, I push the start button, then the sport button(after 5 months,I do automatically now. )

Old 10-07-2007, 11:29 AM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
Old 10-07-2007, 08:17 PM
poolemac
3rd Gear
awesome, thanks!

NT

Old 10-08-2007, 05:52 PM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
LSD option is among the reasons why i bought the car. I'm very happy with it!!!

Old 10-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Candyman
Banned
I had an SRT-4 w/ an LSD and the torque steer and general grab of the car (it was heavily modded) made it a PITA to daily drive (part of the reason why I bought an Evo). I ended up using a progressive, gear-based boost controller to cut power in 1st and 2nd so I could drive the SRT-4 semi-normally, basically my own "DSC".

The Mini w/ DSC and the LSD is leaps and bounds better for daily driving, even with mods -- in my opinion DSC is relatively unnoticeable in operation, and when deactivated it makes the car a real beast...

and then you can turn it back on, fire some Sinatra on the hi-fi and go to the Starbucks drive-thru...

I would not buy this car w/o the LSD though.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:03 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Candyman
I would not buy this car w/o the LSD though.
I did.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:07 PM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Definitely get the LSD. It's not as good as the Quaife but for $500 it's a deal. If you ask around at the dealers you'll find that this will be a real hot option to have in the years to come. Reason is most dealers don't encourage people to get it as it adds that $500 to the bottom line and alot of non enthusiasts just look at the price. Just do a dealer search of all the cars on the lots and very, very few if any will have LSD. So it is kinda rare option, unless an autoXer or MINI enthusiast ordered the car. But as these cars get older the factory LSD will add value, not to mention you'll like it more as you get in the gas coming out of the corner.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain LSD?