Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ALTA R56 Test and Tune 2...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 07:51 AM
sfkarp
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If anyone is wondering what these cars turn in the 1/4 mile I posted some times in the coupe talk 2007 forum. My car is a totally stock 2007 MCSA, I wanted some baseline runs before any modifications. It has 3500 miles on it and the drag strip is just outside Chicago at an altitude of 620 feet. Now for the times:

14.76 92.37 MPH
14.75 94.30 MPH
14.79 92.56 MPH

Surprised me a little. These things don't feel that fast. Maybe the boost drop off is making them feel slower than they are. Needless to say I am very happy. I have revised my goals, I now want to get a 13 second time slip after it is modified. I think the ECU tunes will be critical for consistent performance. Look at the MPH, the 94 MPH run was a hotlap.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:22 AM
Candyman
Banned
Nice times, what kind of 60' did you have?

Old 10-16-2007, 09:28 AM
byhsu
4th Gear
sfkarp:

Was your launch with traction control on or off? Did you leave it in neutral then place to drive at over 2500rpm or 3000 rpm?

Old 10-16-2007, 05:17 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
GREAT write up Jeff! Sorry I was behind the wheel and missed the glow! That looks super kool!

Thank you again for the eloquent post!

Old 10-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had my ALTA cold air intake and boost tubes upgrade installed today and all I can say is WOW. Who knew that little turbo had such sweet sounds trapped inside of it!?! The woosh of air your hear from about 3000 RPM's on up is amazing and the blow off valve can be heard PERFECTLY with every single mid to high RPM throttle liftoff. And to boot, I've seen a significant increase of fuel economy. Was averaging about 33 mpg on the highway and high 20's in the city, but now I never dip below 30mpg and am seeing steady 40's on the highway. Not to mention the compenents look oh SO sweet under the hood - thanks ALTA! Turboback exhaust to (hopefully) come soon!

Just wanna give a quick thanks to JSC speed for holding on to the LAST red cai and boost tubes while I made the drive over. Also a big thanks to R/T tuning for both the install and very professional service. You all will definitely be seeing my business again.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:08 PM
scott48
6th Gear
cool....I love how the intake makes the car sound also....and you gotta love getting better mpg with more power......you'll love turbo back once you do it; that plus intake is an unbelieveable combo!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:44 PM
KNTRKTOR
1st Gear
I also had Alta CAI installed this evening by Detroit Tuned and must say I was startled by a whooshing sound every time I lifted off the throttle. First time hearing a blow off valve. WOW

It was raining and I had a long drive home but can't wait to really check it out in the morning.

Already ordered the full Alta Turbo Back system with the boost tubes for a possible install next week once delivered.

Caught the Alta bug!

Thanks to Chad (Detroit Tuned) for great service.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:02 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR BUSINESS! It is appreciated and glad you are all enjoying the new power, sound and mileage! Chat with you all ASAP!

Old 10-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by scott48
cool....I love how the intake makes the car sound also....and you gotta love getting better mpg with more power......you'll love turbo back once you do it; that plus intake is an unbelieveable combo!
Yea, it's an awesome sound - I'm totally hooked. It's ridiculous as I constantly find myself lowering my music anytime I accelerate to properly hear that sound. The better fuel economy is only an added plus, especially since I found my numbers to be a bit low comparatively, prior to the install. I seriously can't wait to feel the power once the turbo back is installed. You guys are too in demand, ALTA. Every single item for the R56 is on backorder at JSC Speed other then the intercooler air diverter, filter cleaning kit and drop in panel filter... Well I guess patience is a virtue and hopefully by the time it arrives I'll be done with break-in. Then the fun can really begin.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:34 PM
greylight
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2
Yes, the FMIC shows great gains with the intake and exhaust, but we have not tested in on a stock car. Reason is, we don't feel this would be a common path for customers. But when we get stock R56 in here we will do that test. At this point, all of our cars are modded and going back to stock just for that wouldn't make much sense.
Will the ALTA FMIC reduce overall engine temps compared to stock? If it does, then wouldn't it actually extend the life of the engine while also giving a performance boost? And finally, does the FMIC affect mileage?

gl

Old 10-17-2007, 11:05 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Msteadman
You guys are too in demand, ALTA. Every single item for the R56 is on backorder at JSC Speed other then the intercooler air diverter, filter cleaning kit and drop in panel filter...
Seriously. I am waiting, waiting, waiting for my intake and exhaust to ship that I ordered on the 5th. Waiting blows.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rattmobbins
Seriously. I am waiting, waiting, waiting for my intake and exhaust to ship that I ordered on the 5th. Waiting blows.
YIKES, well you're definitely more patient then me. That's almost two weeks and I couldn't stand to wait just a couple days. Well that's for the intake and boost tubes - with the exhaust I have no choice but to wait, as I can't find it in stock literally anywhere. At least I have the sweet sweet sound of that CAI to get me through until I can get an exhaust. I cannot stop listening to the thing!

Old 10-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Since this thread concerns the boost tubes and I haven't seen any pics here on NAM of them installed, figured I'd post a quick pic of mine. More to come later once the mods are complete.
Big thanks to ALTA, JSC Speed and R/T Tuning!

Last edited by Msteadman; 10-17-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:01 PM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
Your engine bay looks great! A++

Old 10-17-2007, 06:24 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Wow, those boost tubes look sweet!

Old 10-17-2007, 06:49 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by greylight
Will the ALTA FMIC reduce overall engine temps compared to stock? If it does, then wouldn't it actually extend the life of the engine while also giving a performance boost? And finally, does the FMIC affect mileage?

gl
The intercooler can extend the life of the engine, turbo etc. The reduction in boosted air temps decrease the thermal load on the motor as well as increase HP and trq. It does NOT lower over all engine temps (coolant). The FMIC will NOT affect mileage in a negative manner. But you can see a LOT of us drive around with our foot in it to enjoy the sounds and increased performance from the ALTA performance products!

Thanks again!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:38 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
I know the wait stinks! I spoke to our controller this afternoon and the polisher is EXTREMELY backed up and thus the exhaust sytems will not be back to us until early next week. JSC should get them in their order leaving the following Friday. Intakes should be out to clients Friday or Monday. The wait will be worth it though!

Thanks again for your business and patience!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:40 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Msteadman
Since this thread concerns the boost tubes and I haven't seen any pics here on NAM of them installed, figured I'd post a quick pic of mine. More to come later once the mods are complete.
Big thanks to ALTA, JSC Speed and R/T Tuning!

Lookin good! Just needs the boost tube now! (Released recently. Replaces the tube from the MAF to the turbo. Looks SWEET under the hoods, and REALLY makes power as well!)

Old 10-17-2007, 09:44 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Final poke of the night! I have been "motoring" tonight in a final (pre) production version of our ECU product in Howard! Holy ISH batman! What a HUGE difference it makes. Still trimming the mapping etc. but we are WAY in line for the Nov. 1st release. Contracts are signed, units built, packaging getting completed, etc. but none of that compares to the first time you lay the hammer down your car with this in it. Now I have the complete ALTA catalog on the car (engine wise) and that felt quick. This is a HUGE leap forward from that. Throttle response is crisp and quick. Boost builds at a tremendous rate, the DSC can hardly keep up and I am SURE I need a new set of front tires after my brief drives around tonight. I am sure I will literally ish myself when the turbo upgrade goes on next. 300hp makes for a FUN daily driver!

Good night NAM! Chat tomorrow!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by a96bimmerm3
Your engine bay looks great! A++
Thank you!!! Originally I wasn't sure about the red since my MINI is PW/B, but JSC Speed only had one intake and boost tubes set left in stock, both of which were red so that pretty much sealed the deal. I must say I'm loving the look - adds a much needed splash of color to the engine bay. Not to mention it screams POWER. Now I just need my exhaust to arrive, I'm going crazyyyyyy. :impatient

Wow, those boost tubes look sweet!
Yep and I know with your Chili Red exterior they'd look even better! You're getting the CAI and TBE so go for the tubes as well; you know you want to. What color intake do you have on order?

Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Lookin good! Just needs the boost tube now! (Released recently. Replaces the tube from the MAF to the turbo. Looks SWEET under the hoods, and REALLY makes power as well!)
I want it!!! That's the 'turbo inlet hose' you guys recently introduced, right??? When should it be shipping and will it be available in red as well?

Last edited by Msteadman; 10-17-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Final poke of the night! I have been "motoring" tonight in a final (pre) production version of our ECU product in Howard! Holy ISH batman! What a HUGE difference it makes. Still trimming the mapping etc. but we are WAY in line for the Nov. 1st release. Contracts are signed, units built, packaging getting completed, etc. but none of that compares to the first time you lay the hammer down your car with this in it. Now I have the complete ALTA catalog on the car (engine wise) and that felt quick. This is a HUGE leap forward from that. Throttle response is crisp and quick. Boost builds at a tremendous rate, the DSC can hardly keep up and I am SURE I need a new set of front tires after my brief drives around tonight. I am sure I will literally ish myself when the turbo upgrade goes on next. 300hp makes for a FUN daily driver!

GAH, I cannot wait! Not to jump the gun, but any tentative date on when the ECU product will be out for MCS' with the automatic transmission?

Last edited by Msteadman; 10-17-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:03 PM
scott48
6th Gear

SICK...I CANNOT wait........I want to go for a ride!!!!!.....is this now the mid-200whp Howard?!?!

Last edited by scott48; 10-17-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:15 AM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear

EFFING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! I was just wondering when the details will trickle down, ie if its going to be erased everytime i go to the dealer for "recoding" for mods and stuff.

Thanks Adam and KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!
Josh

Last edited by a96bimmerm3; 10-18-2007 at 05:18 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:11 AM
chili_red07
5th Gear
Intakes should be out to clients Friday or Monday. The wait will be worth it though!

Thanks again for your business and patience!
THANK GOD!!! I can't wait for my CAI!!

Old 10-18-2007, 07:49 AM
sfkarp
Neutral
Candyman - my 60 ft times were all 2.24's. Not as good as my stock E55 that produces 1.70-1.80 ft times on street tires.

BYHSU - No neutral drops for me, that breaks transmisions and wheel spin makes your ET slower.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain ALTA R56 Test and Tune 2...