Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Mini Cooper Green Twister Intake Group Buy!! Open till July

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 07:04 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone To Checkout from the group guy please go to www.thepilo.com/gbcheckout.htm. Also e-mail me your MCO name after you checkout so that I can match every thing up.

Thanks
Dan
Pilo Racing

Old 07-18-2003, 07:16 AM
MINIJC
2nd Gear
Hey Pilo and everybody...

I finally got my intake yesterday! :smile:
I have not installed it yet, I don't know if I'll get around installing it tonight, but I'd like to wait for Dan to provide more detailed installation instructions.
My initial impression is that the intake looks to be made of very high quality materials. I feel confident that it will be a worthwhile investment.

Juan

Old 07-18-2003, 05:16 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Hey All,

My Website domain is in a state of flux... It will be back shortly. For now the Check out has been moved to http://web.njit.edu/~dpc8620/Mini/gbcheckout.htm I appologize for any inconvenience, and hope to be back up ASAP.

(this is what happens when you don't check your other e-mail accounts)

Thanks
Dan
Pilo Racing

Old 07-18-2003, 07:23 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Website is back up. Please checkout at http://www.thepilo.com/gbcheckout.htm

People Left to checkout:

kbseto
noleski04
Liam
Meenee.Coopah
Aritz
Mabye's
Yeagy
nfo
MINIsota
Seast

Please contact me if you have any problems.

Old 07-18-2003, 08:28 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
New Instructions at www.thepilo.com/info.htm

Old 07-19-2003, 09:39 AM
MINIJC
2nd Gear
Hey Dan and fellow MINI motorers...

After checking the new instructions kindly provided by MINI Pilo, I just installed my new Green Twister Intake!!!

About the instalation: I tried installation both ways. I liked the intake directly connected to the resonator box better. Although, removing the factory air scoop and connecting the intake to the existing gap seems good too and I imagine would be a more efficient flow of cold air to the intake, I didn't like it because after removing the air scoop you are left with a squared hole which does not match the intake hose wich is round. Probably a different intake scoop with a round connection would make the installation look cleaner and work better.
Connection to the resonator box seemed cleaner.

First impressions: I had been dealing with the stumble at take off and almost stalling problems when running the air conditioning, but right after installation I went on a test drive. Let me tell you that I am very happy to report that this new intake actually has minimized the stumble and stalling problem to a point where is hardly noticeable. I am not saying that it cures it, but right off I've noticed an improvement in performance. It seems like the engine breathes better and accelerates smoother. I have not noticed any change in the engine sound, but it sure works very smooth.
I drove the car on the freeway and raised the speed to near 100 mph (luckily it was early in the morning and no cops where awake yet :smile:

Juan

Old 07-19-2003, 09:59 AM
jivanivan
4th Gear
MINIJC - No sound? Whoa, I just installed mine too and the sound is WAAAAAYYY cool, deeper growl (only noticeable when shifting to 2nd and above) I love the sound it makes, it sounds meaner and it does perform better.

My experience:

I just got home and UPS rolled up, I was so excited I just popped open the bonnet right then and there and started. I took out the whole intake box (I didn't see MiniPilo's instructions yet) It was a pretty easy bolt on installation, took me 30 minutes. This is also the first time I've ever done anything to an engine in my life. I'm glad I did this myself. I didn't hook it up to the resonator box since I felt if I did, it wouldn't be as powerful as it should (just my opinion). There was a silver sticker in there saying 'green cotton filter' should I apply it to the intake?

The drive:
At first, I didn't notice too much in 1st, just that it does feel more free. When shifting to 2nd, I hear the growl. I was so amazed I started driving for an hour with my windows opened and stereo off, so I could enjoy the new sound. It does make a HUGE difference. It accelerated faster and sounds so mean when its at high RPMs.

The freeway:
Now, since we do have Coopers, on the freeway, (before installing the intake) my RPM would be almost over 4xRPM. But now, ever since I installed the intake, when I'm at 70MPH it stays barely under 3xRPM, I LOVE IT!! A big difference in power, plus my mileage is doing alot better, I notice my gas isnt going away so quickly. I'm surprised since I was driving him for a while because I loved the sound. Here's some pictures to enjoy (let me know if I did anything wrong and if I should apply the 'green cotton filter' sticker.

Again THANKS DAN! MiniPilo is the best!

Old 07-19-2003, 10:39 AM
MINIJC
2nd Gear
Original Quote from jivanivan:

>>MINIJC - No sound? Whoa, I just installed mine too and the sound is WAAAAAYYY cool, deeper growl (only noticeable when shifting to 2nd and above) I love the sound it makes, it sounds meaner and it does perform better.

jivanivan:

I did not say the intake did not improve the engine sound... I just said I have not noticed it yet....

I've been driving with the AC running full blast, my windows rolled up and my stereo on...

Old 07-20-2003, 06:11 AM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Glad to here that you guy's are enjoying the intake. I am still working on a little better mounting solution, and I will let you all know once I have found it.

Keep Motoring,
Dan
Pilo Racing

Old 07-20-2003, 09:55 PM
asodestrom
6th Gear
My twister showed up on the UPS truck last thursday as I was literally pulling out of my driveway to go camping for the weekend. Tomorrow I am going to do some test runs with my pocket dyno. Rogue exhaust and stock air box. Same as Danp. then I will try the twister and see what changes there are under actual driving conditions. I think I will take 10 0-60 runs with eadh set-up and take the averages. The Pocket Dyno is an acelerometer based device that attaches to a pda and measures 0-30, 30-50, 0-60, estimated HP and estimated 1/4 mile time.

Andy

Old 07-21-2003, 04:50 AM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Soungs cool. I have a G-Tech Pro which is basically the same thing. Not the most accurate in terms of actual numbers, but great for comparison testing.

Thanks
Dan
Pilo Racing

Old 07-21-2003, 03:06 PM
asodestrom
6th Gear
I installed my twister today. I got a 2 inch rubber connector which I used to connect the twister tube directly to the stock intake scoop. The connector fits over the scoop, and the Twister ducting fits over the outside of the rubber connector. It makes a pretty clean clean install. I need to put some miles on it to give the ECU a chance to adjust before performance testing.

Stock scoop and rubber connector

Rubber connector fitted over scoop

Twister duct fitter over rubber connector

Finished install

Initial observations is a bit more throttle response between 3 and 4k rpm as Danp earlier reported. I don’t notice a huge difference in sound, but I think that the sound of the Rogue Exhaust is probably masking it. Danp do you notice much more sound with your Rogue setup?

03 MC CR/B. Rogue exhaust, Pipercross induction intake.

Old 07-21-2003, 03:15 PM
dandp
6th Gear
asodestrom - where did you get the rubber connector? Home Depot or a similar supply store? Stupid question - is it rated for engine type heat? I know it doesn't sit directly on any engine parts...

There is an increase in noise, but the Rogue is pretty aggressive in nature and hard to dial out. I would think in a purely stock setup, there'd be an under the bonnet sound increase.

Nice looking install.

Old 07-21-2003, 03:30 PM
jivanivan
4th Gear
If someone can host a video clip, I can videotape the sound increase since I'm running on just the intake and using the stock exhaust. The sound has a very noticeable increase.

Old 07-21-2003, 03:39 PM
asodestrom
6th Gear
>>asodestrom - where did you get the rubber connector? Home Depot or a similar supply store? Stupid question - is it rated for engine type heat? I know it doesn't sit directly on any engine parts...
>>
>>There is an increase in noise, but the Rogue is pretty aggressive in nature and hard to dial out. I would think in a purely stock setup, there'd be an under the bonnet sound increase.
>>
>>Nice looking install.

Home Depot. $3.97. No heat rating. I am watching it very closely for heat related issues. I don't think is should be a problem.

Andy

Old 07-21-2003, 04:59 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Jivan,
I can host Clips if they are not too large.

asodestrom
What is the part number for that from them.. I'd like to take a look at it and evaluate it's use as well.

Thanks
Dan
Pilo Racing

Old 07-21-2003, 05:41 PM
asodestrom
6th Gear

>>asodestrom
>>What is the part number for that from them.. I'd like to take a look at it and evaluate it's use as well.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Dan
>>Pilo Racing

Dan,

I tore off the label and tossed it out, and I can't find it. The number from the Home Depot receipt is 018578000056 2" flexcoup.

Hope it helps.

Andy

Old 07-21-2003, 05:56 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Do You remember what Section or Isle it was in. I'll shoot over to them tomorrow and see what's up. There is one right donw the road from where I work.

Thanks
Dan
Pilo Racing

>>
>>>>asodestrom
>>>>What is the part number for that from them.. I'd like to take a look at it and evaluate it's use as well.
>>>>
>>>>Thanks
>>>>Dan
>>>>Pilo Racing
>>
>>Dan,
>>
>>I tore off the label and tossed it out, and I can't find it. The number from the Home Depot receipt is 018578000056 2" flexcoup.
>>
>>Hope it helps.
>>
>>Andy
>>

Old 07-21-2003, 08:41 PM
dandp
6th Gear
All this talk regarding Home Depot...

Old 07-21-2003, 10:00 PM
jivanivan
4th Gear
BTW

Andy,

Nice job on finding a better solution, I'm going to Home Depot tomorrow to do the same thing. $3 bucks ain't too bad.

Dandp- wow, I never knew you were sponsored by Home Depot

Old 07-22-2003, 06:46 AM
asodestrom
6th Gear
Dan,

It's in the plumbing department. It's actually a drain flex connector for kitchen sinks. I helped a friend with a re-model on his home and we used them, so that's where I got the idea.

Danp. I love the decal, but I think it would look cheesy on my chili red.

Andy

Old 07-22-2003, 11:10 AM
dandp
6th Gear
A little photoshop and I'm ready for the first NASCAR MINI....

Old 07-22-2003, 05:31 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
>>Dan,
>>
>>It's in the plumbing department. It's actually a drain flex connector for kitchen sinks. I helped a friend with a re-model on his home and we used them, so that's where I got the idea.
>>
>>Danp. I love the decal, but I think it would look cheesy on my chili red.
>>
>>Andy

THanks,

Didin't get a chance to get there today, but Tomorrow I'm off to pep boy's and Home Depot to find a good solution!

Thanks for the help Guy's You really have made this group buy much easier on me who is already over worked

To people that ordered over this weekend and on, There is a backlog at my distributer and they will be caught up again by the end of the week, your intakes will go out on monday from them. (Green Filters is getting really busy)

Let me know if there are any concerns regarding this.

Thanks
Dan
Pilo Racing

Old 07-22-2003, 05:39 PM
noleski04
2nd Gear
I am excited!

Old 07-22-2003, 09:27 PM
asodestrom
6th Gear
After 50+ miles I feel as if my twister is finally "waking up". I think the ECU is adjusting. It now feels as if is starts to pull stronger at about 3000 rpms and the trip up to redline is crisp and smooth. I did quite a bit of hilly twisty driving over the weekend with my stock airbox, and felt as if she was gasping at about 6000 rpm. My initial runs with the twister were a bit dissapointing, but now I like it. It is at least as strong as my pipercross in the higher rpm's and a bit stronger below 4000. I will do some pocket dyno testing later.

Tomorrow I have to go salmon fishing. The wind has finally died down and we can get out in the ocean again. The bite is on! Fresh salmon for dinnner tomorow pm.

Andy

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Mini Cooper Green Twister Intake Group Buy!! Open till July