Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Magnesium replcement intake manifold and engine mounts

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 09:00 AM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know all of the above information. But, to me the risk of cooking a block that you would have to spend that much money on...custom block...especially for high HP turbo apps. would not be justified in my book. If I blow, and I mean IF I could blow the iron block I would be shocked and I would be much happier to replace it with a "cheaper" iron block any day then fork over the dough for another Aluminum. Just my opinion, not trying to shoot others' ideas down. I am not a fan of shooting people down. I think I would just have to stick with my iron for now. If I had unlimited funds I would not even think twice two go this route, being that if or when I blow the Al block, I would have plenty of dough to let go on another.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:02 AM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
I would still like a "direct" answer to post number 24. Just to gain knowledge and to be able to make a more well informed decision.
Thanks, Chris.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:45 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by ChrisMCS04
^ Yes this is true, but how would it work out for WHP between 400-600 on a daily driver? I am slightly interested. If it can be proven reliable I could be extremely interested.
It would work the same as if the block was cast iron, except your power to weight would be better. Another distinct advantage...you would be bolting an aluminum head to a aluminum block, which is much better than bolting it to a cast iron block.

I would still like a "direct" answer to post number 24. Just to gain knowledge and to be able to make a more well informed decision.
Thanks, Chris.
Seeing how an aluminum block it isn't even available(to my knowledge) for our cars, you really have no decision to make.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:01 AM
kapps
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PARTSMAN
Seeing how an aluminum block it isn't even available(to my knowledge) for our cars, you really have no decision to make.
You could always get one of these and do this.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:05 AM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
It would work the same as if the block was cast iron, except your power to weight would be better. Another distinct advantage...you would be bolting an aluminum head to a aluminum block, which is much better than bolting it to a cast iron block.
This(^) was what I was thinking about with an Al head(RMW my choice) and then having an Al block made.

No decision...well anything can be made for our cars. It does not have to be readily available. If I(or anyone else) would want to pursue this investment, Yes I have a decision to make.

-Thanks for the replies PARTSMAN, I do appreciate the input.
Chris.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
did you catch...

Originally Posted by kapps
that the block was remounted and the last 4 cylinders magically showed up at the 7:36 mark? Pussies.. They should have used a longer piece of metal, and had it finished when the cut-off tool cut it off the vice...

Matt

Old 11-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This sounds interesting...

Originally Posted by 1nf3rn0
I will. This is still a ways off... My first project is titanium front control arms, which should get off the ground any day now.
but remember to compare what you come up with to the Madness tubular arms.

If you want to save weight, start with the steering knuckle. That IS iron. Combine it with a drop design and you'd have an (expensive) winner!

Matt

Old 11-11-2007, 10:36 AM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
that the block was remounted and the last 4 cylinders magically showed up at the 7:36 mark? Pussies.. They should have used a longer piece of metal, and had it finished when the cut-off tool cut it off the vice...

Matt

Yeah I noticed that something was up and then, poofeek: some more cylinders appeared.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
That would be sweet to have a machine like that. Man, the stuff I could make with that...
This was what I was thinking about with an Al head(RMW my choice) and then having an Al block made.

No decision...well anything can be made for our cars. It does not have to be readily available. If I(or anyone else) would want to pursue this investment, Yes I have a decision to make.

-Thanks for the replies PARTSMAN, I do appreciate the input.
Chris.
Your welcome, anytime. If you do decide to do this, be sure to let us know.

If you want to save weight, start with the steering knuckle. That IS iron. Combine it with a drop design and you'd have an (expensive) winner!

Matt
An aluminum knuckle with drop would definitely be on my list.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:20 AM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thats what the design is based off of. The same strength at hallf the weight. And the steering knuckle is an interesting idea.... milled billet titanium anybody?

Matt

Old 11-11-2007, 08:43 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I saw a machine like this on a company tour here in japan. (my exchange program centers around business and whatnot) The machine they had was smaller, but it did have all those axes. They were only machining a small 4 cylinder motorcycle engine though. It is very cool to watch in person, video never does justice.