Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Del Rio Power

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 11:10 AM
raul
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Del Rio Power

I went to see him here in Mexico City and he told me that I can get 42bhp on my car by installing a 22% pully and a dyno tune. He said the pulley was made my him and already put it in lots of in MCS's without haveing any problems.
Does anyone know anything about it?

Old 11-11-2007, 11:35 AM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
Originally Posted by raul
I went to see him here in Mexico City and he told me that I can get 42bhp on my car by installing a 22% pully and a dyno tune. He said the pulley was made my him and already put it in lots of in MCS's without haveing any problems.
Does anyone know anything about it?

Ummm...most likely not. Do a few searches on these boards, but the few people running the 19% reduction and the 2% crank (approaching or beyond 22%; I am unsure) have sky high inlet temperatures, leading to timing reductions and less power. After awhile, any excess boost readings are due to pressure from heat and not extra air.

Additionally, you are most definitely exceeding the duty cycle and specifications of the supercharger. There is also the fact that you will need new injectors for that setup.

You "shouldn't" have any problems, not immediately at least. I would be incredibly skeptical.

- Matt

Edit: Come to think of it, I would not trust anyone to do a tune on my car if they also advise a 22% pulley.

Last edited by verveAbsolut; 11-11-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:44 AM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't do it!!! It may be cheap and quick, but your temps are going to sky rocket. I know running that much boost may be "sweet" but not in that form. If you want to run that much boost and actually make some power with it go twin charge or full turbo. I know that is a whole other ball game, but that is what it takes to successfully run that much boost with out loosing power.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:26 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Just do a search here on NAM - see how many are running a 22 pulley!!!

There are those here that express concerns w/ a 19 pulley.

Considering you are in Mexico - I have to assume the heat generation is astronomical w/ a 22.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:37 PM
raul
2nd Gear
I want to get the dinan intake and I alredy have the alta air diverter, whould the temperature still be a problem?
What about the injectors, someone told me too that Ill need new ones with a 19% as verveAbsolut said. Why do I need them?

Old 11-12-2007, 12:42 PM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
I want to get the dinan intake and I alredy have the alta air diverter, whould the temperature still be a problem?
What about the injectors, someone told me too that Ill need new ones with a 19% as verveAbsolut said. Why do I need them?
Temperature will still be a problem, yes. The Dinan intake provides more air, but functionally (in this regard) not any cooler of air. The Alta air diverter helps some, but not nearly enough. A 19-22% pulley will result in easily a 40-60oF+ increase in IATs; a simple air diverter won't bring that back down. And like I said, you're exceeding the duty cycle of the supercharger by a great deal already. Keep that in mind. No one likes to replace components prematurely if it can be avoided.

Any reduction above 15-16% should (I would say needs) injectors. Duty cycle on stock Cooper S injectors is around 80% if I remember. Going to a 15% reduction uses up most of the remainder (20%). Going to anything beyond that results in not enough fuel in the cylinders to be burned, and a lean condition occurs (serious risk of engine internal damage occurs).

- Matt

Last edited by verveAbsolut; 11-12-2007 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Clarified unit on temperature.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:49 PM
raul
2nd Gear
So I should keep may 15% pulley, or spend a lot more money to get the injectrors and a new intercooler too, am I right?

Old 11-12-2007, 01:05 PM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
In my opinion (and only in my opinion), I think you should stay the way things are, unless you plan on investing the time, money, and effort to do it once, and do it right (in this case if you wanted to do it, it would definitely require a new intercooler & injectors, possibly more).

At the end of the day though, it is totally your decision to make. I am but one person; I try to act as rationally and based on facts as I can, but all decisions come down to one person, and that person's evaluation of risk/reward and costing.

For me, it would not be right. I would advise others the same. But others can, may, and will disagree.

- Matt

Old 11-12-2007, 02:44 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
22%=BS... Just my 2cents.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:03 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
raul, I think that everyone is providing ample results. That being said, if you really want to get into this stuff(the engineering behind all of it, controlling IATs making your car more efficient, etc...) give someone like Jan ( www.revolutionmini.com ) a call. Sorry if I have been bias toward Jan, he has been a huge inspiration and has provided my self with tremendous advise. There are plenty others, just research them through the vendor directory.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:28 PM
raul
2nd Gear
I wanted to keep my car as OEM as possible. This guy told me that this mod was verry simple and I can turn my car as stock when ever I want (if I keep the OEM pulley), but it seems that it is kind of a mayor mod, well because it means changing the intercooler and the injectors.
I think I wont do it, thank you all for your advice.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:57 PM
markldriskill
5th Gear
"go back to stock" whenever you want IF everything else stays together. Belt wear, for example, with a 19% increases significantly. With a 22 it would be even worse. And, as several others have already said, it is way overboard on the supercharger spec. If you were to get a 19 with a 3% crank pulley, you would have to do a lot just to keep temps down. I think water/methanol injection or some super duper IC, or some other relatively extreme means of cooling the charge would be a must with that setup. And then you are talking some serious coin.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
I wanted to keep my car as OEM as possible. This guy told me that this mod was verry simple and I can turn my car as stock when ever I want (if I keep the OEM pulley), but it seems that it is kind of a mayor mod, well because it means changing the intercooler and the injectors.
I think I wont do it, thank you all for your advice.
It is my understaning that the OEM pulley is not reusable once pulled off a car.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
It is my understaning that the OEM pulley is not reusable once pulled off a car.
I suppose you could heat it up and re-establish the friction fit, but *I* wouldn't do that.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
I suppose you could heat it up and re-establish the friction fit, but *I* wouldn't do that.

Eric, you've been around the block w/ these cars - how about a 22 pulley?