Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain What is the best bang for the buck intake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 02:39 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok...I hadn't really considered getting an intake any time soon, but in November (hopefully) I'm getting a pulley installed and Randy sez that doing an intake at the same time is a good idea, since the stock intake is already off.

So if I was to get an intake, which one should I go for? My thinking is that a "cold air" intake isn't going to be that much help to me. The air outside isn't much, if any cooler than under the bonnet in summer in Las Vegas. I haven't heard any intakes on cars, so I can't make a decision based on that. I'm not a super-horsepower fiend, or I'd have already done more to Alice than I have, but a bit of extra go never hurt anyone.

Money is also a criteria, since when I get this done (if I do) it will be immediately after spending 2 weeks in Australia.

All opinions will be appreciated.

Old 07-02-2003, 02:48 PM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I changed my intake last Saturday and it made a world of difference. While the more expensive intakes probably work proportionally better, I think ANY aftermarket intake will show an improvement simply because part of the changeover will be in removing that power robbing "muffler" they designed into the stock intake. I'll bet you would notice an improvement if you just yanked everything out from the aircleaner box on and just duct taped a pair of pantyhose to the throttlebody tube.

Mine cost $200. That green twister group buy seems to be lowering that price down to damn near what I paid.

Get an intake. You'll be happy.

Old 07-02-2003, 03:19 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
I know the times I've lifted my bonnet in the PHX sun after driving it, the airunder it is HOT HOT HOT!. My uncalibrated guestimate is it's about 180 F air under there.

Old 07-02-2003, 03:23 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
As far as intakes, best bang for the buck. Try http://www.thepilo.com 's intake for only 145.00

However, I'm going with that stylish Alta Intake. More than $100 more, but it looks the most professional of any that I've seen so far.

Old 07-02-2003, 03:43 PM
rfibanez
Banned
>> I'll bet you would notice an improvement if you just yanked everything out from the aircleaner box on and just duct taped a pair of pantyhose to the throttlebody tube.

My cousin tryed that with his car before, but he used a sock instead.

Old 07-02-2003, 04:38 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Depending on the car you have, Pilo Racing has an intake that will fit your Best bang for the buck needs. For the S, check out our Cold Air Intake at http://www.thepilo.com. For the Standard Cooper, we are holding a group buy with a huge discount on the cooper Cold Air Intake. PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks
Dan
Pilo Racing

Old 07-02-2003, 04:45 PM
bodinski
5th Gear
mine! (have a bmp up on the marketplace board)...

Old 07-02-2003, 04:56 PM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
>>>> I'll bet you would notice an improvement if you just yanked everything out from the aircleaner box on and just duct taped a pair of pantyhose to the throttlebody tube.
>>
>>My cousin tryed that with his car before, but he used a sock instead.

How tacky! My solution is much more high-tech (space-age polymers)...and you can change the shade of nylon for different social situations: dark hose for evening wear, or a more sandy shade for those sunny days at the beach.

Old 07-02-2003, 09:12 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
I would have to suggest that the pilo intakes would be the best value for the product.
I own a madness intake for an MCS and didn't really feel that much more power until I added an exhaust- the quicksilver. Then all hell broke loose and the car is a changed beast. I got more supercharger whine with the intake but just a little HP gain. You didn't mention if your car is an MC or MCS? Makes a difference for the intake options.
Either way you should look at the choices from pilo for the $$$/bang ratio.

Old 07-03-2003, 09:06 AM
Agro
Um...does it help to upgrade the pulley on a non-supercharged car?
Of course it's an MCS!
Sorry.

So the general consensus is Pilo (or Bodinski's BMP)?

Old 07-03-2003, 11:12 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
I guess if you are looking for a cheap intake, you could get the Pilo. But it's not the most professional looking option out there. The MINI-Madness intake is the original and has more happy customers than any other MCS intake out there. The Alta unit uses a foam filter which, personally, I have issues with. The price is also very steep! The BMP looks nice, but isn't in the same ballpark of performance as the Madness product.

R

Old 07-03-2003, 11:42 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Pilo looks like the most resonable product out there.

Old 07-03-2003, 11:59 AM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
>>I guess if you are looking for a cheap intake, you could get the Pilo. But it's not the most professional looking option out there. The MINI-Madness intake is the original and has more happy customers than any other MCS intake out there. The Alta unit uses a foam filter which, personally, I have issues with. The price is also very steep! The BMP looks nice, but isn't in the same ballpark of performance as the Madness product.
>>
>>R

THe Madness intake is a great intake, But for the best bang for the buck HP Per Dollar, Pilo Racing has made sure to deliver the most performance.

Old 07-03-2003, 01:42 PM
Agro
Ok then, can someone give me an idea of lead times on these? If I need it by the Xth of Some-tober, Xth - (how many days) is when I need to order? :???:

Old 07-03-2003, 04:19 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
We have a slight back orber but will be shipping very soon. Once we have stock again, we ship the next day that your order is placed. We usually ship Fedex Ground, but if quicker is needed we can usually comply.

Thanks
Dan
Pilo Racing