Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Rotational vibration after lowering

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008 | 05:33 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Ok lets keep this in line a little and simple.
Do they lower the springs anymore than ours, or any less? If the height is the same, for 100% its not the springs or axles, or something its the install or alignment. Can you think of any other variables with the install? Again, there is no way that Mini didn't allow the axles to be ran a different heights (esspecially only 1" or so up and down) then maybe mini has some potential issues coming. I have yet to feel this vibration in the cars. When was your car built?

We have about 5 guys we have done in the last month or so, and none of them have the issue (r56 guys), not to mention quite a few others. Clubmans, R56's Manuals, and Autos, 07's, 08's and none with problems.

We even have both shop cars with H&R coilovers (lowered even more) and they have no issues. You say proof, well, in our eyes, they seem to be just fine, and only a few guys across the country have the issue. Using what data we have, there are two variables with the cars across the country that is how they are being installed and the alignment they are getting. I have said this before, but once a week, we get alignment shops asking US how to align them (not specs but physically how to to it)

You have to remember, this isn't necessarily an ALTA spring issue, but a spring issue in general, or coilover issue, or overall height in general. I know some have said that the axles have to perfectly aligned in order to work right, this is sooooo not true. CV are meant to work at lots of angles and lots of angles for their whole life span. If on the Mini the angle is effecting somthing that causes a vibration, then something else isn't built correct on the car. At least that is my assumption.

If enough people work together here, we can figure this out, but making statements like "the ALTA springs came off, and no more vibration, it must be the ALTA parts, don't buy them" should be stated more accurately like:

"I changed the springs are my car today and it changed the height X amount, and now the vibration is gone!"

With that kind of attitude, a resolution can be had............

Old 07-18-2008 | 09:07 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Noegel
I've delt very little with ALTA in the past (I, in fact, will call them tonight/tomorrow due to an out of stock item), but they seem like a friendly bunch. It could be simply that your messages were either misplaced, lost, or just plain didn't go through. I've heard nothing but good things about ALTA.

Maybe the initial installation was poor, and maybe it got fixed the second time. Who knows...
THANK YOU! Feel free to PM me directly about the out of stock item and I would love to help with it if I can!

Thanks again!

Old 07-18-2008 | 09:22 PM
daemon2
4th Gear
I have had the same problem, the "experts" here say it doesn't make sense but it does happen and is directly related to the operating angles of the inner cv on the passenger drive shaft.
More here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...after+lowering
Camber plates may help. Some have suggested repacement of the drive shaft or a "wear-in" period.
My MA was aware of this issue. Take a look at the angles of the shaft on a hoist (lifted by the wheels) and you can see what is happening.

Good luck. Ignore the "experts" on this one.

I should also add I had the issue with Eibach lowering springs, sold them to another NAMer who did not have a problem, have the problem on coilovers, with alignment. Camber plates not installed yet.

Old 07-20-2008 | 12:12 PM
Tampa MCS
2nd Gear
Funny how you make people look bad on the forum...here is your reply to my message after I posted this:

Re: Lowering Concerns after H&R installation.
Do they lower the springs anymore than ours, or any less? If the height is the same, for 100% its not the springs or axles, or something its the install or alignment. Can you think of any other variables with the install? Again, there is no way that Mini didn't allow the axles to be ran a different heights (esspecially only 1" or so up and down) then maybe mini has some potential issues coming. I have yet to feel this vibration in the cars. When was your car built?

This will be my last post in regards to the springs issue. I had enough dealing with Alta and your poor leadership. Good luck!

Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Again love the edit!

I just checked ALL of my PM's from the past week and ZERO from TampaMCS.

I answer PM's at ADAMSALTAMINI

Jeff Perrin / Chris in Tech at ALTA2

Ken Jubb Sales Dept ALTA_KEN

John Leitl Wholesale Sales ALTA_John

John Herring Marketing and Web Concerns ALTADESIGN

If I have missed one someplace PLEASE let me know where you sent it? I can't answer what I don't have.

Hope that helps! Thank you!

Old 07-20-2008 | 07:00 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Tampa MCS
Funny how you make people look bad on the forum...here is your reply to my message after I posted this:

Re: Lowering Concerns after H&R installation.

This will be my last post in regards to the springs issue. I had enough dealing with Alta and your poor leadership. Good luck!
I can generally keep my mouth shut, but seriously, you make NO sense at all here! JEFF IS ASKING LEGITIMATE QUESTIONS TO HELP THE ENTIRE BOARD AND INSTEAD OF ANSWERING THEM, YOU SIMPLY RUN AWAY? I mean seriously what is the problem with again TRYING to help you and others?

I know there are a LOT of intelligent people that read these threads, chuckle to themselves and don't comment. Those that have the ability can read what has happened and how ALTA HAS tried to help. But for those that skim through, I MUST make this post.

Did you hear back from the gent you sold the ALTA springs too? He replied to another thread and didn't seem a bit happy. I wonder how YOUR customer service will be for him? I offered to help him as well EVEN THOUGH THE PARTS ARE USED!!!!! How much better can ALTA be to clients?

Sheesh...........

Old 07-21-2008 | 05:54 PM
danielcwi
Neutral
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]I also have this issue H&R vibration- I have lived with it for 5k miles. I purchased mine through a different reseller - Tire Rack. Mine were installed by someone who works on minis normally, I have taken it back to them but the issue of course does not present itself with the mechanic in the car. I have also had an alignment "right after the 2nd time the mechanic looked at the car". [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Either ways thanks to those who try to help.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Old 07-23-2008 | 08:04 PM
FRATER
1st Gear
LOL

This is crazy!! I love the back and forth part!

Anyways.. I have been dealing with Alta since I got my 2007 Cooper S. I have installed:

ALTA BOV
ALTA SWAY BAR
ALTA H&R Springs
ALTA CAT BACK
ALTA CAI
ALTA INTAKE TUBE

I had a problem with the BOV sticking.. emailed Adam.. received an email back within 1 hour of how to fix the problem.DONE.. Everytime I have dealt with Alta I have been happy.. sometimes I would get frustrated on OUT OF STOCk parts becasue I am the type that wants it right away.. but Adam would email as soon has the parts are in his shop! and they would have it shipped out ASAP to my tunning shop.. If I had any concerns or questions I would just email Adam or Ken and they would spend A LOT of time explaining stuff to me and helping me out.. CRAP Adam helps me on weekends!!

Anyways I have lowered my 2007 with Alta H&R Springs and I have no problems at all.. I just recieved my RSS H&R Coilovers and they are getting installed in 2 days and I am slamming it to the ground.. i will let all you know how it goes and if any vibrations happen.

I am on NAM to help others and to learn as much as I can, I am not here to listen to people trash talk.. if you want to do that go to: www.jerryspringertv.com

Thanks!!

Last edited by FRATER; 07-23-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2008 | 06:46 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by FRATER
This is crazy!! I love the back and forth part!

Anyways.. I have been dealing with Alta since I got my 2007 Cooper S. I have installed:

ALTA BOV
ALTA SWAY BAR
ALTA H&R Springs
ALTA CAT BACK
ALTA CAI
ALTA INTAKE TUBE

I had a problem with the BOV sticking.. emailed Adam.. received an email back within 1 hour of how to fix the problem.DONE.. Everytime I have dealt with Alta I have been happy.. sometimes I would get frustrated on OUT OF STOCk parts becasue I am the type that wants it right away.. but Adam would email as soon has the parts are in his shop! and they would have it shipped out ASAP to my tunning shop.. If I had any concerns or questions I would just email Adam or Ken and they would spend A LOT of time explaining stuff to me and helping me out.. CRAP Adam helps me on weekends!!

Anyways I have lowered my 2007 with Alta H&R Springs and I have no problems at all.. I just recieved my RSS H&R Coilovers and they are getting installed in 2 days and I am slamming it to the ground.. i will let all you know how it goes and if any vibrations happen.

I am on NAM to help others and to learn as much as I can, I am not here to listen to people trash talk.. if you want to do that go to: www.jerryspringertv.com

Thanks!!
THANK YOU! PLEASE send me some revised pics on those Coilovers! Excited to see it!

Old 07-24-2008 | 09:01 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by daemon2
I should also add I had the issue with Eibach lowering springs, sold them to another NAMer who did not have a problem, have the problem on coilovers, with alignment. Camber plates not installed yet.
That is interesting. So what is your build date and his? This might help figure out the problem. Its seems like if Mini made the axle too long lowering it could screw it up, but it would have to be way way too long in order to cause binding. A proper working CV has the "ball" portion resting in the middle of the grooves in the CV. This give them roughly 1.5" of travel in and out. Which is plenty enough to not bind or cause vibration.

On the other hand if Mini made them too short, it could do some weird things. But you have remember that the axle doesn't pull in and out much going through the normal range of motion. I bet it doesn't even move .500".

Again, this is still leading to something with the cars, not parts. If the same parts work on one guys car, and not on another then its got to be something with the car.

We are trying to be helpful to everyone here, and with enough guys giving us data about build dates and springs, and what not, we should be able to narrow this down.

Old 07-24-2008 | 09:23 AM
mattbren
2nd Gear
I have a 07 MCS with a January 07 build date. It's lowered on Mach V springs with non-sport suspension. The work was done by a shop that builds race cars and they did a quick "low-tech" alignment to be sure toe was within safe street settings. I have no vibration issues.

Old 07-24-2008 | 10:05 AM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
We have an 07 R56 S that has the H&R springs on it. I have been noticing a feeling in the first thru third gears that can best be described as something off balance. I thought that maybe it was a damaged pressure plate but now I am wondering if it had to do with lowering the car. If you are wondering why I thought of the pressure plate, it is because my wife learned how to drive stick in this car. Although she did a fantastic job learning and never abused the clutch while I was with her.

Old 07-24-2008 | 06:23 PM
danielcwi
Neutral
I have an 07 dated 05/07 non-sport with H&R I have the issue. Springs were installed and rechecked car has been aligned.

Old 07-25-2008 | 07:35 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Thanks guys! Keep it coming.

Any local to us folks yet?

Old 07-25-2008 | 08:36 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Have an 08 R56 S with Mach V springs. No vibration issues whatsoever. Installed at 1200 miles, and have around 8000 now.

Old 07-25-2008 | 11:01 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
So far no one with an 08 has issues, correct? With any springs?

Old 07-25-2008 | 12:02 PM
MakoBimmer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Thanks guys! Keep it coming.

Any local to us folks yet?
Adam...when my car arrives, I am driving down to see you guys and have you install either the H&R Springs or go all out on the H&R Coil-overs. I have been following these suspension threads closely and am wanting to lower my car and have it done right. My car doesnt arrive until September, so it will probably be October when I want the work done.

--chad

Old 07-26-2008 | 07:52 PM
FRATER
1st Gear
OK FOLKS!!

I took out my H&R Springs and installed my H&R RSS Coilovers, and SLAMMED the car to the ground.. No vibration, nothing at all! Only difference is that the car is GLUED to the ground! SWEET.

And I haven't even alligned it yet!

So it must be the car build.. Anyways I will post pictures up shortly.

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2008 | 07:56 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MakoBimmer
Adam...when my car arrives, I am driving down to see you guys and have you install either the H&R Springs or go all out on the H&R Coil-overs. I have been following these suspension threads closely and am wanting to lower my car and have it done right. My car doesnt arrive until September, so it will probably be October when I want the work done.

--chad
Sounds great Chad! Looking forward to it!

Old 07-26-2008 | 07:56 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
OK FOLKS!!

I took out my H&R Springs and installed my H&R RSS Coilovers, and SLAMMED the car to the ground.. No vibration, nothing at all! Only difference is that the car is GLUED to the ground! SWEET.

Thanks!
SWEET! Can't wait to see the pics!

Old 07-26-2008 | 08:36 PM
FRATER
1st Gear
here is the first picture. I am waiting for the car to settle then will drop it another 3 - 4 cms.

Attached Thumbnails Rotational vibration after lowering-img_7079.jpg  
Old 07-27-2008 | 08:33 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
here is the first picture. I am waiting for the car to settle then will drop it another 3 - 4 cms.
Looks GREAT nice color combo as well!

Old 07-27-2008 | 10:26 AM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
I was told that the H&Rs come pre-settled (not sure of the terminology)
my wife's never dropped further than the day we did the springs.

Old 07-27-2008 | 10:28 AM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
Old 07-27-2008 | 06:52 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by SPDinNY
I was told that the H&Rs come pre-settled (not sure of the terminology)
my wife's never dropped further than the day we did the springs.
True! They are "Block-Set" at the factory using their "Super-Blok" system. From their site:

"All springs are shot-peened to increase the service life of each spring by more than 200%. Each spring is then sent through the H&R exclusive “SuperBlok™” system, which cycles each spring to ensure that sagging will never occur. Lastly, the H&R special powder coating process coats each spring with a flexible and durable finish that is highly resistant to corrosion, chips, and scratches. At H&R we care about quality –– the whole production process, from start to finish, is done in-house to ensure the most consistent, highest quality product possible."

Old 07-29-2008 | 07:53 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
OK FOLKS!!

Thanks!
VERY NICE! When was your car built? You can find this on the drivers door sill (just in case you didn't know). Thanks for the feedback!

Originally Posted by MakoBimmer

--chad
When was your car built also?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Rotational vibration after lowering