Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Alta Tuning / Voids warranty or not?????? help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007 | 08:09 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skiploder
The engine harness itself was relatively cheap - maybe less than $300.00. The problem is that it takes about 8 hours to install it. At dealer rates, that's a $1,200.00 fix. I bought the part and did the labor myself.

At that point I was so ticked of at Mini that I sold the car. I was having a bunch of smaller issues that were typical of the early R53s and just could not reconcile that at 8K miles, I would have to fight for every repair.
Well that's relieving that the part was cheap, although paying that much in labor would have killed me. At least the issue is done with now. Hope you were able to get a good selling price.

So from your sig I take it that you have a R56 now???

Old 12-31-2007 | 08:58 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by Msteadman
Well that's relieving that the part was cheap, although paying that much in labor would have killed me. At least the issue is done with now. Hope you were able to get a good selling price.

No. I'm planning on buying another car this year.

As for the selling price, I paid $24K for it in 03 and sold it for $20K in 06.

Old 12-31-2007 | 12:41 PM
msh441
6th Gear

no.

Old 12-31-2007 | 01:49 PM
LuxoDave
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by msh441

no.
msh441, nice sig.

Old 01-01-2008 | 10:30 AM
Central Coast Coopers
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Straius
Does anyone know if the dealer records what mods you have installed if you have your vehicle serviced?

like, if I brought my car in with a bunch of aftermarket stuff on it to fix a stereo problem (obviously not related to engine bolt on parts), do they record the parts on file so if I DO have a problem in the future, they'll claim that I had parts on the car at a previous point.
Bob smith in Calabasas did that exact thing when I took my car in to have the radio head changed out. All the easily seen mods on my car were listed on the repair order final paperwork when I got the car back. I recently had An employee at south bay check my vin via the service log in and there were no notes flagging myc ar as modded in the nationals database-although it would seem easy enough to get that info from Bob Smith. As for my warranty, I have spent about 2k on parts failures that I installed myself (easy for me) and while MINI should have been liable for warranty on these items (t-stat housing,axles, wheel brgs, known failure items on R53) my car has lowered suspension, aftermarket bbk, etc etc and it just isn't worth my time to fight with them. I also don't want them touching my car!
As an aside, I have it on good authority the puma system mentioned above is being shut down, and bmw/mini field service engineers will now have their work loads doubled or more so don't expect quick resolutions to any warranty issues in the new year.

Last edited by Central Coast Coopers; 01-01-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-01-2008 | 06:37 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
No. I'm planning on buying another car this year.

As for the selling price, I paid $24K for it in 03 and sold it for $20K in 06.
Too bad... Very good selling price, however.

Originally Posted by msh441

no.
So what am I missing???

Old 01-01-2008 | 08:31 PM
Dennis H.
1st Gear
All manufacters state they will void a warrenty if after market parts are bolted to the engine.
One of the most stupid is with the new Nissian GT-R coming this spring, their warrenty states it will be voided if you do so much as change to different tires.
Figure that one out
You play the game by their rules

Old 01-01-2008 | 09:10 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Too bad... Very good selling price, however.

So what am I missing???
I'm not exactly the biggest fan of the R56.

If you enjoy yours, that shouldn't matter.

Old 01-01-2008 | 09:44 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Dennis: They use that as a scare tactic. That does not mean it is either legal or really going to happen. I know you had an incident with Rasmussen. Now they told you " The ALTA parts you have are ok! But if you add any more THEN we are going to void your warranty!" What kind of silly logic is that? Plus the manufacturer can void the warranty in some isolated cases, even then only for the item affected, not the entire car. The stealership has no ability to warrant or not warrant a repair.

The whole thing can be a bit ridiculous. Luckily there are some dealerships across the country that are VERY aftermarket friendly. we should all patronize those as much as we can!

Old 01-01-2008 | 10:55 PM
Chris56S
2nd Gear
Well that is my tentative plan, but has anyone gotten a definitive answer on whether the ECU logs boost levels, timing, etc. for more than just very short periods of time? Because if not you risk the dealer clearly seeing that you messed with the ECU in some way, even if the unit itself is not present.
+1.

This question is pretty important where existing warranties are concerned. Anyone at ALTA care to chime in?

Old 01-02-2008 | 10:36 PM
Dennis H.
1st Gear
Adam
I did not have an incident with Rassmussen, they have been wonderful people to work with.
What I did. Was do a few modes to my car and then got concerned about my warrenty so I brought pictures and information about some modes I would like to do and ask their opinion, they Phoned the manufacture (Mini) and asked spacific questions for me, the answer from the manufacture was that if I bolt any thing to the engine the warrenty would be voided. Because I installed a heavier rear sway bar I have lost warrenty on all rear suspension parts, it is uncertain what I will run into if I have engine problems because I have installed the front mount intercooler.
I will loose my warrenty if I track the car, even autocrosses.
Most likey my warrenty is gone.
People should know this information to be able to make an informed decision on what they want to do. Instead of find out later they have a repair that warrenty won't cover.
I think Alta makes good products and I certainly wish you and all of the aftermarket manufacters the best with your bussiness. Have a great 2008.
I will be buying more aftermarket items, and some of these will come from Alta.
Dennis

Old 01-03-2008 | 05:26 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
I'm not exactly the biggest fan of the R56.

If you enjoy yours, that shouldn't matter.
Ohhhh, gotcha! Don't worry, it doesn't.

Was just trying to understand the pic in your sig, I'm clearly slow.

Old 01-03-2008 | 05:31 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Dennis: They use that as a scare tactic. That does not mean it is either legal or really going to happen. I know you had an incident with Rasmussen. Now they told you " The ALTA parts you have are ok! But if you add any more THEN we are going to void your warranty!" What kind of silly logic is that? Plus the manufacturer can void the warranty in some isolated cases, even then only for the item affected, not the entire car. The stealership has no ability to warrant or not warrant a repair.

The whole thing can be a bit ridiculous. Luckily there are some dealerships across the country that are VERY aftermarket friendly. we should all patronize those as much as we can!
This confuses me, as wasn't the consensus that it's MINI/BMW USA not the dealership who voids one's warranty??? I just find it hard to believe that any dealership, no matter how aftermarket friendly, would foot the bill for a warranty repair which they will not be reimbursed for...

Not attacking ALTA or Adam personally. I have various ALTA parts on my MINI already and have plans to order quite a few more soon. Just curious and wanting to be properly informed.

Old 01-03-2008 | 05:42 AM
Skiploder
Banned
This confuses me, as wasn't the consensus that it's MINI/BMW USA not the dealership who voids one's warranty??? I just find it hard to believe that any dealership, no matter how aftermarket friendly, would foot the bill for a warranty repair which they will not be reimbursed for...

Not attacking ALTA or Adam personally. I have various ALTA parts on my MINI already and have plans to order quite a few more soon. Just curious and wanting to be properly informed.
Your warranty rights are "protected" by a federal law - the Magnussen-Moss Act.

Unfortunately, people quote it without understanding that (1) it was not written with the auto industry in mind (2) what it really entails or (3) the process of prosecuting a M-M case.

....and you are right, the manufacturer warranties the car - not the dealer. Once Mini gets involved, your dealer's opinions on what is right or wrong, allowable or taboo don't mean a flying f***.