Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Getting more air from the windshield cowl...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:10 AM
mach schnell
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting more air from the windshield cowl...

..to the CAI by running some kind of tube from the underside of the windshield cowl directly to the air filter, along with having the rear partition removed or cut with a larger opening.

1. Anyone tried it?
2. Think it would increase air flow or would it alter the pressure adversely and decrease air flow?
3. Would it increase the likelihood of water onto the filter?

Obviously another question in the great debate of how to make the best sounding, best performing air intake system for the MCS.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:18 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
personally i'd be a bit nervous about this sort of scoop/inlet thing making it easier for water to get to the filter.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are cowl scoops available, and many people cut or remove the rear partition. Some have said that the cowls actually let air OUT of the engine bay and are not really inlets at all.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:27 AM
mach schnell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minimusprime
personally i'd be a bit nervous about this sort of scoop/inlet thing making it easier for water to get to the filter.
yeah - that's why I posted the question - I don't wanna just make something and stick it on then have a water problem.

Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
There are cowl scoops available, and many people cut or remove the rear partition. Some have said that the cowls actually let air OUT of the engine bay and are not really inlets at all.
I've actually cut the partition out. so with the alta filter and the partition cut out, the musical note is amazing. interesting point about the cowl being more a heat release. however, considering that on either side there is a partion betwen the engine bay and the cowl, i'm not sure how much heat would be released.

Last edited by mach schnell; 12-20-2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:33 AM
trackster
5th Gear
These types of mods have ben going on since 02 with a variety of results. There were two companies that acutally made CAI's which used this technology, Ben fer Performance and Piper cross. As far as I know there was never a water issue but no major performance increases either .

Old 12-20-2007, 11:57 AM
mach schnell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by trackster
These types of mods have ben going on since 02 with a variety of results. There were two companies that acutally made CAI's which used this technology, Ben fer Performance and Piper cross. As far as I know there was never a water issue but no major performance increases either .
did/does pipercross do stuff for just the cooper or do they do stuff for cooper s also? yeah, i'm not anticipating much more in noticeable gain - maybe breathability, but moreso for sound.

Last edited by mach schnell; 12-23-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:40 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
9i'm running hai so with the cowl open ; it's more of a flow thru at speed . letting heat out .

Old 12-20-2007, 02:44 PM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
I can't imagine any real performance from that. The supercharger is only going to take in as much as it can handle.

The important thing with a CAI is to make sure that there is enough air available to be sucked in. If there is already enough air available, then trying to cram more into it through use of a cowl or other such method is pointless and will return very minimal if ANY kind of result.

Last edited by shankrabbit; 12-20-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:57 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shankrabbit
I can't imagine any real performance from that. The supercharger is only going to take in as much as it can handle.

The important thing with a CAI is to make sure that there is enough air available to be sucked in. If there is already enough air available, then trying to cram more into it through use of a cowl or other such method is pointless and will return very minimal if ANY kind of result.

I say TRUE to that thought..
But if it gets rid of heat and or can help have a supply of cooler air that would help

I am "swiss cheesed" on both side bulk head vents.
On a cold morning my pass side now defrosts quicker than the drivers
Not using the AC just engine heat
... also if I spray my IC I do get some vapor out of the pass vent at speed.
My assumption is that I am venting hot air out of the cowell.
As my drivers side will help replace hotter air with cooler air.

I have some mods that also help this .. I'll post photos in a bit

Last edited by COR BLMY; 12-20-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:06 PM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by COR BLMY
I say TRUE to that thought..
But if it gets rid of heat and or can help have a supply of cooler air that would help

I am "swiss cheesed" on both side bulk head vents.
On a cold morning my pass side now defrosts quicker than the drivers
Not using the AC just engine heat
... also if I spray my IC I do get some vapor out of the pass vent at speed.
My assumption is that I am venting hot air out of the cowell.
As my drivers side will help replace hotter air with cooler air.

I have some mods that also help this .. I'll post photos in a bit
I actually tried a little experiment last summer to try to minimize the effects of engine heat on my CAI.

Not the most scientific of experiments, but you can get the idea.

http://www.geekshocker.com/Claire/tech/cai.php

I think there is a few older threads with different ideas too (I'm too lazy to look them up right now)

Old 12-20-2007, 09:54 PM
muggy
4th Gear
Wow, I can't believe you did all that, haha.

I really would love to see if it makes a significant performance increase...but I guess at speed the difference isn't quite as much.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:07 PM
mach schnell
4th Gear
I actually tried a little experiment last summer to try to minimize the effects of engine heat on my CAI.

I think there is a few older threads with different ideas too (I'm too lazy to look them up right now)
wow- impressive work!

Old 12-21-2007, 08:59 AM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by muggy
Wow, I can't believe you did all that, haha.

I really would love to see if it makes a significant performance increase...but I guess at speed the difference isn't quite as much.
At speed it's pretty pointless when you've been at a certain speed for awhile, but when your in stop and go situations, having your initial burst of air into the SC be that much cooler does have a positive effect as far as performance.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:46 PM
LowCountry S
4th Gear

very nice work! I think I'll insulate the walls of my CAI now, (personally didn't think there would be ANY benefit, but your data is interesting).

To the OP, I have the Orciari cowl vent scoops ,Pipercross CAI, and the MOSSMINI ( I think ) "Big Air Cowl vent partition" (just a new back wall section with a huge round hole in it, I didn't want to cut the stock one) and haven't had any problems with water getting in there (have checked it recently after a hard rainstorm on the way home just to be sure). Now if an oncoming vehicle hit a huge puddle and deluged the car I could see water getting into that area but don't know if it would get into engine or not. I try and keep my filter element clean and well oiled so that will also help repel any water that does manage to get in. The sound is very nice, still quiet when just tooling around but the supercharger will announce itself when I get on it.

Last edited by LowCountry S; 12-21-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:12 AM
carbonized
3rd Gear
I have my own system on my car for over 2 years now, both scoop, and heat extractor,(see my gallery), and I never had any problem with water intrusion. Big Florida downpour, pressure washer, etc, never seen any water pooling in the air box!
Ram air doesn't work on volume it works by increasing the charge "density", the boost device (S.C./ turbo) then, compresses it . Same volume higher density before booster= higher resulting boost, lower temp after booster.
The only thing that's in the way of a good clean flow from the scoop to the filter in my system is the wiper mechanism, I can't come up with a funnel like the extractor on the pass. side, that would clear it without restricting air flow.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:36 AM
mach schnell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by carbonized
I have my own system on my car for over 2 years now, both scoop, and heat extractor,(see my gallery), and I never had any problem with water intrusion. Big Florida downpour, pressure washer, etc, never seen any water pooling in the air box!
Ram air doesn't work on volume it works by increasing the charge "density", the boost device (S.C./ turbo) then, compresses it . Same volume higher density before booster= higher resulting boost, lower temp after booster.
The only thing that's in the way of a good clean flow from the scoop to the filter in my system is the wiper mechanism, I can't come up with a funnel like the extractor on the pass. side, that would clear it without restricting air flow.
wow! that's both impressive and very cool! so you fabricated these pieces? cpl ???? then -
1. how did you do the testing to determine that design was optimal for eliminating heat?
2. can you fab those pieces again and if so, have you considered putting a diy with instructions for installation and selling the pieces?

Old 12-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mach schnell
can you fab those pieces again and if so, have you considered putting a diy with instructions for installation and selling the pieces?
some of us have been asking this question for several years. Some how only 1 of everything gets made in his garage. I have suggested locking him up in the garage until numerous pieces appear, his wife was willing to lend us a hand but alas no joy.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I saw where this was going when I read your first post, yes insulation and getting that airs cold as possible (after it has enough nothing else is going to effect the SC)is what's going to help. Tht nd I love watch the thermo differances between the two moving it around