Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Milltek Downpipe No Longer Avail in US

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 08:19 AM
BoomerMCS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milltek Downpipe No Longer Avail in US

This is a response I received from Stratmosphere when asking about the Downpipe to go with my Milltek cat back exhaust.

Sorry about that. There is no plan to release that product for the future. Best that we know, no other tuner in the world has solved the issue long-term.

The issue is the check engine light coming on with the downpipe installed.

I have emailed Milltek to find out if this is true, that they are abandoning the US market for one of their products.
If other NAM members have their cat back and were thinking of adding their downpipe please email them and ask them to fix the problem and release the revised downpipe in the US.

Pete's statement "no other tuner in the world has solved this issue long-term." is troubling too. I haven't heard of any problem with the Alta Downpipe setting off the check engine light.

Would like to hear from members using Alta's downpipe and exhaust about any issues they have had with the check engine light. Or if anyone has the Milltek downpipe have you experienced the problem? If you have, how did you resolve it.

Does anyone know if Alta's downpipe would fit with the Milltek cat back exhaust?I hope this isn't true. I'll post the reply if I receive one from Milltek but they are closed until after the New Year.

Cheers and hope everyone has a great New Year

Last edited by BoomerMCS; 12-29-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Li'l Red's Rider
2nd Gear
I have the ALTA downpipe and catback, no CEL. It is the best mod I have done so far, sounds really good, and makes great power. It also helped the driveability.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:01 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
That is odd that they would do that. Might be the catalyst they use is to blame. Still strange.

Looking at the photo online, it would appear that the ALTA DP would work with VERY minor changes, and the use of a step down V-band adapter is certainly something we can provide if needed.

Let me know what you decide to do!

Thanks again for considering ALTA to go with your Milltek system!

Old 12-29-2007, 01:09 PM
BoomerMCS
2nd Gear
Adam, thanks for the input. Very disappointed in Milltek. If it turns out they are not going to try to solve the issue you'll have a new customer. I'm going to wait till early next year to see if they respond or if Stratmosphere get's an update from Milltek.

If the downpipe is truely not available, you will have a new customer for the downpipe along with the Unichip and possibly the CAI.

Please let me know the extent of the minor changes needed to add the downpipe to the Milltek. I have a very good shop up here in Seattle, Zahntech, who did the install. Matt commented how good the welds and fit were when he installed the Millteck so hopefully he will be able to handle the minor mods if it comes to that.

Darn, I went with Milltek due to the sound, the tips, and a friend has there system on his Audi S4 and he just raved about it.

Oh well, live & learn and it's not over until the fat lady (Milltek) sings!

I never expected Milltek would give up on a fix for this and I'm hoping other members will contact Milltek or Stratmosphere and urge them to fix the problem.

Cheers!

Old 12-29-2007, 01:27 PM
minipete07
3rd Gear
No CEL with my Alta DP...

Old 12-29-2007, 03:51 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by BoomerMCS
Adam, thanks for the input. Very disappointed in Milltek. If it turns out they are not going to try to solve the issue you'll have a new customer. I'm going to wait till early next year to see if they respond or if Stratmosphere get's an update from Milltek.

If the downpipe is truely not available, you will have a new customer for the downpipe along with the Unichip and possibly the CAI.

Please let me know the extent of the minor changes needed to add the downpipe to the Milltek. I have a very good shop up here in Seattle, Zahntech, who did the install. Matt commented how good the welds and fit were when he installed the Millteck so hopefully he will be able to handle the minor mods if it comes to that.

Darn, I went with Milltek due to the sound, the tips, and a friend has there system on his Audi S4 and he just raved about it.

Oh well, live & learn and it's not over until the fat lady (Milltek) sings!

I never expected Milltek would give up on a fix for this and I'm hoping other members will contact Milltek or Stratmosphere and urge them to fix the problem.

Cheers!

The mods would only be to the connection at the cat-bcak to the ALTA dp. Any qualified shop could do it. When you get serious, let me know. I can have you take a couple measurements and then I can say exactly what you will need. Sorry for the crappy situation your are in. Let me know!

Old 12-30-2007, 02:51 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Weird. I thought their downpipe was missing a cat, no? Maybe that's why the CEL comes on...

Just get the ALTA downpipe and consider it done. You know THEY are not gonna abandon their customers.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:27 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alta downpipe for the win!!!....awesome sound!!

Old 01-09-2008, 12:46 AM
DrosS
1st Gear
Just curious, what kind of power are the alta downpipes making? That's great that they don't throw CELs! In regards to the Miltek, I'm pretty sure the problem can be solved with an EGT sensor delete

Old 01-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrosS
Just curious, what kind of power are the alta downpipes making?
10-12 WHP on top of the catback. Check out their dyno plots here.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:13 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Just curious, what kind of power are the alta downpipes making? That's great that they don't throw CELs! In regards to the Miltek, I'm pretty sure the problem can be solved with an EGT sensor delete
Just to clarify there aren't any EGT sensors in the DP. There is an O2 sensor but trying to block or defeat that would be both an emission violation as well as the car will NOT be happy. So not an easy fix if they are having concerns.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-09-2008, 01:15 PM
DrosS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Just to clarify there aren't any EGT sensors in the DP. There is an O2 sensor but trying to block or defeat that would be both an emission violation as well as the car will NOT be happy. So not an easy fix if they are having concerns.

Hope that helps!
In some states a downpipe is an emission violation, even if it does pass smog. Check only stations also pass or fail you on visual appearance. They will tell you that you need an executive order for the part. I understand the EGT sensor is in the up-pipe, but alot of times when you modify the turbo outlet (downpipe), the EGT throws a CEL. If it is the O2 that is throwing the code, then the vehicle just needs a tune or the cat efficiency isn't up to spec...I'm guessing the later.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:24 PM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
I actually installed one of the Milltek Downpipes. It did make power and a good sound but the CEL came on. We tried a few things to get rid of it but had no luck. I talked to Milltek and they basicly said in not so many words that they would have to redesign it to make it work. So we will see how long it take, but don't know much more than that.

Good thing I sell both Alta and Milltek can always keep a customer happy.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:16 PM
SlowB00st
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
I actually installed one of the Milltek Downpipes. It did make power and a good sound but the CEL came on. We tried a few things to get rid of it but had no luck. I talked to Milltek and they basicly said in not so many words that they would have to redesign it to make it work. So we will see how long it take, but don't know much more than that.

May I ask what things you tried?

Old 01-09-2008, 03:52 PM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Basicly we tired relocating the 02 sensors in the exhaust stream. Didn't work though.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:39 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
In some states a downpipe is an emission violation, even if it does pass smog. Check only stations also pass or fail you on visual appearance. They will tell you that you need an executive order for the part. I understand the EGT sensor is in the up-pipe, but alot of times when you modify the turbo outlet (downpipe), the EGT throws a CEL. If it is the O2 that is throwing the code, then the vehicle just needs a tune or the cat efficiency isn't up to spec...I'm guessing the later.
Thanks for the reply. Where we are missing each other is on the terminology (no offense). An O2 sensor (actually two of them) are installed in the OEM downpipe as well as the ALTA and similar. An EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) probe or sensor is NOT installed from the factory, but can be added in the aftermarket to help with tuning and engine monitoring.

In the case of the Milltek, the catalyst supplied (or something) isn't able to keep the catalyst inefficiency code off. So the CEL lights P0420 for that reason.

You mention up-pipe. If you came from the Subaru world, then those cars have an up-pipe that on some years (02-05 WRX, FXT, LGT) they have a preturbo catalyst that is monitored by an OEM EGT probe. Removal of that probe in that vehicle can cause a separate issue for a CEL. That wil shut down the car if not installed.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-09-2008, 06:40 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS

Excellent point and we at ALTA love you for it!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:49 AM
woj
2nd Gear
Agree with the CEL issue. My 06 GTI has a TBE AWE system and the you can measure the temp drop-off that leads to the CAT related CEL. It's quite obvious in cars where the OEM cat is bolted right onto the Exhaust manifold with Turbo housing.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:33 PM
scabpicker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
An EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) probe or sensor is NOT installed from the factory, but can be added in the aftermarket to help with tuning and engine monitoring.

I have read in MINI literature that the ECU limits the EGT to 950 degrees in order to protect the turbo. Is this false? Or is there an EGT sensor installed elsewhere (pre turbo maybe)? Or is it inferring it from the readings of other sensors?

Sorry to poke at you with questions. I am just having problems rectifying information I have from two trustworthy sources, and the MINI engineers aren't members of a message board that I'm a member of.