Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Fyool filtah...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 07:32 AM
darksun
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SRICHS
It's not the most enjoyable job. This filter also holds the information for your gas gauge. If your gas gauge is not wrong, the chances of your filter being clogged, is slim and none.
MATE you have given me HOPE!!!!!

My fuel gauge is not working from since i got the car. When the tank is full is working some times but when its half empty i get no fuel at all light.

I will defenetly check on this!!

Thanks.

PLEASE IF ANYONE GOT THIS PROBLEM AND THIS IS A FIX WHOULD BE VERY NICE!!!!!

Old 10-09-2008, 11:33 PM
darksun
2nd Gear
I add a question here, is the filter different from the sensors in the tank that read the fuel level ? What i mean is: are 2 sensors in the tank and another one at the filter ?

Old 10-10-2008, 11:59 AM
StreetMod
Neutral
There is a right and left level sensor. One is attached to the filter/pump housing and the other is just a level sensor.

If your gauge is off by half a tank then one of the sensors is could be bad or have a wiring problem.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's a pic of the fuel tank.
Attachment 37660

Last edited by Oxybluecoop; 11-21-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:36 PM
darksun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by StreetMod
There is a right and left level sensor. One is attached to the filter/pump housing and the other is just a level sensor.

If your gauge is off by half a tank then one of the sensors is could be bad or have a wiring problem.
'

Well sometimes it work corectly and sometimes is jsut rops and stays to 0. the dealer says the big speedometer is bad. And thats 500$....

They changed the sensors and they said no success.... Could it be the filter is full of dirt?

Old 10-10-2008, 01:56 PM
StreetMod
Neutral
The filter has nothing to do with the level sender circuit.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:58 PM
darksun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by StreetMod
The filter has nothing to do with the level sender circuit.
I gues no hope for me

Old 12-22-2009, 02:12 PM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Chili_Mini_PA
Page 020-25 of Bentely Mini Cooper Service Manual. (2 ninches thick)

"The Fuel Filter, located in the fuel tank, is intergrated with the right side fuel tank sensor assembly. No Service or replacement interval is specified for the fuel filter"
Have you changed the filter?

I have followed the directions by some of the NAM members but I am having a problem putting the locking ring back on. Its gets hand tight but when I let off the ring, it pops off. I cant seem to get it to start threading. Any ideas?

Old 12-22-2009, 06:40 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote=DMBFan2;2941074

I have followed the directions by some of the NAM members but I am having a problem putting the locking ring back on. Its gets hand tight but when I let off the ring, it pops off. I cant seem to get it to start threading. Any ideas?[/quote]

Sounds like the sender "canister" is not seating all the way into the tank. I had a hard time with this on my first filter change.
I lubed the flanged seal first, installed that on the tank, and then the canister slid all the way down easily. I also lubed the canister lid before screwing that back together because it was a BEAR to remove the first time.
Hope this helps!

Jim

Old 12-23-2009, 08:18 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
I was able to get the locking hub on and secure However, the car wont start with a half tank of gas. I've tried the advice from another NAM member... "turn the key to the second position about 5-6 times in order to pressurize the system" trick but that doesn't work.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:50 AM
RatBlast
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DMBFan2
I was able to get the locking hub on and secure However, the car wont start with a half tank of gas. I've tried the advice from another NAM member... "turn the key to the second position about 5-6 times in order to pressurize the system" trick but that doesn't work.
i had trouble here as well , what went wrong was when i tried MANY times to get the white filter housing back together one of the O rings came out of place inside.
pull it apart one more time and make sure they are all in place. you do need to push real hard on the 2 parts of the white filter housing to get it close enough together in order to give it that twist into place.
if it is put together right , you will hear the gas being sucked into the filter the first time you turn the key. it will sound diffrent than what you hear now.
the car started no problem after that.

good luck

Old 12-23-2009, 09:47 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
I'll give it a shot. Just put another 5 gallons in and now its at the full line so I know thats not the problem. Back in a minute or two......

Old 12-23-2009, 10:10 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
I found the problem............ It was inner large O ring. During one of the MANY times that I took the canister out and removed the filter the bloody Oring inside the canister came off.....

Now I can go to work today.........

Thanks for your help..

Attached Thumbnails Fyool filtah...-dscn1134.jpg  
Old 12-23-2009, 10:12 AM
RatBlast
2nd Gear
glad it running sounds like you did the same things wrong as i did lol

Old 12-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Aeromax
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car had a funny gauge when I bought it at 45k miles. Over the past few years I never bothered to fix it, because it just wasn't "broken enough". I actually switched to using better gas for the most part (Sunoco), and not just cheap stuff, and the gauge nowadays works just about 100% of the time. It fixed itself! I think whatever gunk was clogging it up just got all cleaned off.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:54 PM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
"glad it running sounds like you did the same things wrong as i did lol"

This was the first project on my car that pi**ed me off Glad it doesn't need to be changed that often!

Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Soldo
1st Gear
Some help please!

My R53 lately has been hessitating during acceleration after driving on the highway at a steady spead. It usually happens in the morning. The plugs were changed just over 6 months ago, but the hesitation seems different than a misfire.

Would a dirty/cloged fuel filter cause this hesitation? Anyone else experience this?

Old 03-08-2010, 04:21 PM
RatBlast
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Soldo
Some help please!

My R53 lately has been hessitating during acceleration after driving on the highway at a steady spead. It usually happens in the morning. The plugs were changed just over 6 months ago, but the hesitation seems different than a misfire.

Would a dirty/cloged fuel filter cause this hesitation? Anyone else experience this?
i am sure a real bad filter would cause that hesitation . my car was doing the same thing and doing the filter did not help (but it was dirty). before you start it in the morning check to see if all your plugs are tight . just take your spark plug wrench and give them a light tug to see if any backed off. do not tighten them more , just see if one is loose. (caused a slight lack of power and hesitation before it came right out)
i had a plug come out on me and had to install a heli coil.
what i found wrong with my car was the coil pack was going bad . no error codes , but i took a chance and bought a new stock pack and the car drove way better since. it felt like a hesitation at regular speeds once in a while , but would be worse with the foot to the floor under load. heavy ping noise some of the time.

good luck

Old 03-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Soldo
1st Gear
I'll look into the coil pack, but it doesn't seem like a missfire. When the car is cruising on the highway at a steady speed, and then I try to accelerate the rpms drop about 300 (which makes me think it's fuel related) because of a sudden cut in power. I'm hoping it'd be just the fuel filter, since that'd be cheaper to replace than the entire pump assemply, or even the injectors. Is this problem similar with the Yo-Yo symptoms that are common on these cars? The RPM's used to once in a while bounce when the car was idling, but that hasn't happened in a long while, but now I have this hesitaiton.

No CEL lights up which I guess is a good thing.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:59 AM
RatBlast
2nd Gear
guess you should do the fuel filter first , like you said its the cheapest thing to do. sounds like your car is doing diffrent things than what mine did.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Bill O'Brien
Neutral
HELP... I removed the fuel filer housing to chance the fuel filer. Well, Bavarian Auto sent me the wrong filter so unless I can find a new one local tomorrow the old one is going back in and I will have to do the filter one more time.

Now, for my issue...

I got the filter housing put back together. I am sure I twisted the two halves all the way, it snapped back in place. After puting the filter housing and sending unit back down into the tank and try to install the locking ring it is apparent that the filter housing and sending unit are not going down far enough into the tank. I have definitely pushed down on it all that it can go but it seems like it is 2 - 4 mm too high. It is as if the sending unit is hitting something on the bottom of the tank and cant go any lower ... ???

The 'positioning' section on the top of the filter housing, the one that goes between the two tabs on the edge of the hole in the gas tank definitely is not going down all the way. (I hope I explained that correctly...)

Here is a link to the instructions I used to get to the filter:

http://www.minicooperspeed.com/fuel-filter-change/

http://www.billswebspace.com/MiniR50...erDIYGuide.htm

If anyone has any experience with this I could rally use some advice!!!! Need to get the tank reassembled tomorrow...

Thank You!!!!!!!

Old 08-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Bill O'Brien
Neutral
One of the pics in this thread shows how the position tab should fit flush.....

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hange-mcs.html

Maine is no where near flush.... ???

Old 08-15-2011, 06:26 AM
Bill O'Brien
Neutral
Done! She is running again. My issues were:

I did not install the gasket correctly. The gasket that goes around the top of the filter housing does not merely sit there. It needs to be fitted down into the hole.

Even after I installed the gasket correctly the filter housing would not go all the way down... so.. I used a hammer. I somewhat gently tapped around the top of the filter housing until the entire housing was flush... the retaining ring went right on with no issues.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:07 AM
Ministrater
3rd Gear
After changing mine my gas mileage went up a little over half a mile per gallon. Talk about a nasty filter. Sheesh.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:40 PM
CallMeKiwi
1st Gear
Thanks to everyone for the tips and the DIY in this thread. I just did this job (R50) and have a few more tips: It's not necessary to use a dental pick to get the small gaskets off. Instead, just squeeze the gasket with your fingers while it is in place. Part of the gasket will come off enough such that you can slip a very small flat headed screw driver underneath it and pry it off. This works for both small gaskets and is less likely to scratch the plastic.

Like some others on here, I ended up doing the job twice. The first time I did the job, the pump would not prime no matter how many times I ran the pump and the car would not start. My problem was that the large (skinny) gasket had come off the top without my knowledge during reassembly. I took it all apart and put it back together again (being more gentle this time) and the car started right up. I did the job with the gas tank at just over 1/2 full.

Also, my car now starts up much faster with the new filter than it did with the dirty one. The car also seems to have a bit more "pep" but that could be my imagination.