Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Feels Like Turbo Dies Out

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008 | 11:59 AM
mikeg4572
5th Gear
Originally Posted by that7guy
um...yea? That was the point I was getting at.
you asked if he could hear it or not. You dont hear anything except the engine when this happens, it's NOT turbo lag....

Last edited by mikeg4572; 03-11-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2008 | 12:15 PM
that7guy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mikeg4572
you asked if he could hear it or not. You dont hear anything except the engine when this happens, it's NOT turbo lag....
But if the turbo doesn't spool because of lag the the BOV wont purge. And I was referring to kenatminimania's post.

Old 03-11-2008 | 01:41 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Are you referring to me? I do have the boost guage. It did not matter if I had the DSC on or not. It has not happened to me in a long. For what its worth I get the same amount of boost with or without DCS, I know you said you were not getting full boost with it on.
From my experience I don't think DCS or sport have any effect on the boost curve.

Old 03-11-2008 | 01:41 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ChrisW
Turbo lag?
Originally Posted by that7guy
It sounds to me like its probably just massive turbo lag since you cant hear the turbo spool. Now if you heard it and it was still now going anywhere, that would be a problem.
I don't mean disrespect but have you driven another turboed car? Its quite different to drive then an NA car.
I have a strong feeling neither of you have ever driven a r56 if you suggest turbo lag. the r56 doesn't have any. It either spools up almost instantly or hardly at all (this case)

yup! don't hear anything because the turbo doesn't seem to be spooling. With an a.m. intake you clearly hear when the turbo spools. Massive sucking intake noise.

Last edited by MotorMouth; 03-11-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-11-2008 | 01:45 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
I have had this problem a couple of times myself. I think the car is getting too much boost and the ECU freaks out and shuts the boost from the turbo off for a couple minutes. No big deal, all you have to do is wait or turn the car off and restart it. I noticed this usually happens when you boost up too soon in a higher gear that you should really be in. For example cruising in 5th gear when you should be in 3rd or 4th, then hitting the gas and the boost jumps up. Now that I have changed that driving style it never happens.
Yes, it appears to be some sort of failsafe. I'm still working on figuring out how the R56 boost system works, and thus how to defeat it.

It could be from sudden jumps in in the tmap/map signal, or perhaps it monitors the solenoid duty cycle like the 335i and freaks out if the vacuum required to hit a boost target is beyond some point. There is also an outside chance it uses the maf for plausibility checks.

Boy, plenty to do.

PS. I heard Mario ran pretty well with the 335? 12.8 is great for a tune only car first time out!!

Last edited by Terry @ BMS; 03-11-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2008 | 01:46 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
I have a strong feeling neither of you have ever driven a r56 if you suggest turbo lag. the r56 doesn't have any. It either spools up almost instantly or hardly at all (this case)

yup! don't hear anything because the turbo doesn't seem to be spooling. With an a.m. intake you clearly hear when the turbo spools. Massive sucking intake noise.
It does have lag, but it isn't that bad. Much worse than a BMW 335i though, for example. To verify just connect a boost gauge and watch the boost as you floor the car. It takes a few hundred rpms for the boost to come up.

Old 03-11-2008 | 02:36 PM
that7guy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth

Yes I have driven one, and I've driven many turbo charged cars as well as built custom turbo systems. EVERY system has lag. Its physics. You cant have instant spool when you start out at -20 Atmospheric pressure inside your engine. Get a boost gauge. Have you ever looked at one. You have to wait for pressure to build. Thats why they call it SPOOL!

Last edited by that7guy; 03-11-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2008 | 02:51 PM
ukaussi
2nd Gear
I noticed on the MINI2 thread a mention about a fuel pump.
If the problem is ECU related and it pulls fuel delivery wouldn't this also feel like a lack of boost as a lack of fuel means no exhaust to drive the exhaust side of the turbo and create pressure on the intake side of the turbo hence no "boost"

Old 03-11-2008 | 03:02 PM
kenatminimania
Former Vendor
Yes, MINI2 entry had reference to a 'high pressure pump' which we can only assume it is the fuel pump...

Good point.

ken

Old 03-11-2008 | 09:46 PM
mikeg4572
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Yes, it appears to be some sort of failsafe. I'm still working on figuring out how the R56 boost system works, and thus how to defeat it.

It could be from sudden jumps in in the tmap/map signal, or perhaps it monitors the solenoid duty cycle like the 335i and freaks out if the vacuum required to hit a boost target is beyond some point. There is also an outside chance it uses the maf for plausibility checks.

Boy, plenty to do.

PS. I heard Mario ran pretty well with the 335? 12.8 is great for a tune only car first time out!!

Yeah, I was with him, we had a good time. We surprised many running in the 12's , especially with a car that looked and sounded so stock. Nice job on his tuning

Old 03-23-2008 | 10:17 PM
Luv325Ci-MiniCoopS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by richi0207
Doesnt any problems feeling as if the turbo is not even working? Once in a blue moon when I get on the gas it feels as if theres no turbo in the car, wondering if anyone has the same problems and what it could be? It happend a few miles after I installed the alta intake and after i installed the alta pnp ecu. Any ideas?
Thanks
-Richii
Hi Richii,

I have the same problem that just started today. I was running in 4th at approx 5000-6000 rpm, wasn't really paying attention, and my car backfired really loud. I drove for a couple of miles and stopped to buy some lunch.
When I started the car the yellow engine light was lit.

When I tried to accelerate, it was like driving a normal car, no acceleration just normal acceleration. I stopped at a gas station to check the gas cap, oil, etc. Started the car back up, and it still feels like the turbo is not working. I only have 1300 miles on it, so hopefully it is not broken already. I'm taking it to the dealer, so he can check out the turbo and the engine light that is still lit.

Old 04-13-2008 | 09:26 PM
Shadow Executor
1st Gear
I have experienced something similar to the OP. When i hit hard on the gas the turbo dies out, meaning the revs in the engine go up but i am not gaining any speed. This has only started to happen after i installed the ALTA boost gauge. When i hit the gas it goes to about 5psi then drops down below 0 and i get no power from the turbo. I have no idea what is going on and its starting to worry me. Does anyone have any suggestions/thoughts?

Old 04-13-2008 | 09:32 PM
lxjose9xl
3rd Gear
boost leak?..did you check all the connections?

Old 04-13-2008 | 10:40 PM
that7guy
6th Gear
Sounds kind of like a wastegate issue

Old 04-14-2008 | 07:58 AM
kenatminimania
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Shadow Executor
I have experienced something similar to the OP. When i hit hard on the gas the turbo dies out, meaning the revs in the engine go up but i am not gaining any speed. This has only started to happen after i installed the ALTA boost gauge. When i hit the gas it goes to about 5psi then drops down below 0 and i get no power from the turbo. I have no idea what is going on and its starting to worry me. Does anyone have any suggestions/thoughts?
I would suggest disconnecting the boost gauge to see if that makes a difference. On our MCS, we had the dealer update the software to the latest and the problem has not returned. If the gauge isn't causing it, have your dealer update your software. Let us know how this works out.

Ken

Old 04-15-2008 | 10:53 AM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Shadow Executor
It is the ECU going in to a limp mode. In tuning the car it's pretty easy to induce. But if you are getting that problem with a stock ECU it probably means you have a boost leak or some other issue.

Old 04-15-2008 | 11:35 AM
flyboy2160
4th Gear
I have had this problem a couple of times myself. I think the car is getting too much boost and the ECU freaks out and shuts the boost from the turbo off for a couple minutes. No big deal, all you have to do is wait or turn the car off and restart it. I noticed this usually happens when you boost up too soon in a higher gear that you should really be in. For example cruising in 5th gear when you should be in 3rd or 4th, then hitting the gas and the boost jumps up. Now that I have changed that driving style it never happens.
mike, is this with a stock car?

Old 04-15-2008 | 12:38 PM
jthorst75
3rd Gear
i have had the same issue that happend today--no boost. but i know for a fact that it is the pnp ecu i just installed especially after i got a cel which has been quite frequent after the install. i would hate to return it due to the fun that comes out of my mini but it is very annoying resetting my car everytime the cel illuminates.

Old 04-15-2008 | 01:12 PM
minipete07
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jthorst75
i have had the same issue that happend today--no boost. but i know for a fact that it is the pnp ecu i just installed especially after i got a cel which has been quite frequent after the install. i would hate to return it due to the fun that comes out of my mini but it is very annoying resetting my car everytime the cel illuminates.
_How do you reset your car? i've been wondering how to do that..thanks

Old 04-15-2008 | 03:51 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jthorst75
If you have a piggyback then that is likely the cause. I've been fighting this darn system for the past couple of weeks and its very sensitive! And the bad news is most likely those "limp" codes are stored hidden in the DME and only the dealer can remove them. :(

Old 04-15-2008 | 04:06 PM
minipete07
3rd Gear
If you have a piggyback then that is likely the cause. I've been fighting this darn system for the past couple of weeks and its very sensitive! And the bad news is most likely those "limp" codes are stored hidden in the DME and only the dealer can remove them. :(
So it's not looking good??

Old 04-15-2008 | 05:37 PM
dededede
1st Gear
From my experience I don't think DCS or sport have any effect on the boost curve.
My seat of the pants does not agree