Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain CAI - who's best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008 | 11:45 PM
dtm
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
I'm still laughing...

Matt

me too . . .

Old 03-13-2008 | 07:22 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by verveAbsolut
As has been stated by other respected members in this thread, these threads usually just end up being "I like xxx brand the best, (insert subjective statement here)." You've been a member, what at most two weeks now? You've got a lot of reading and searching to do.

- Matt

Yep, another "whats the best thread". If you really want whats best, you have to define the objective and application for there is no one size fits all.

I remember when I joined NAM, I didn't post for about three months because I was so busy reading.

Old 03-13-2008 | 07:33 AM
bhardy
3rd Gear
Well said daflake.

Another note on the Dinan. Before purchasing, I had read a few posts about a slight whistling noise... on the Dinan as well as a few others. While I expected to hear this, there was no whistling at all. I should mention that I had already cut out the rear panel of the lower air box tray(which your aftermarket CAI will attach to) for increased airflow. I also have an Alta silicone intake hose in place of the ribbed stock hose. So for anyone experiencing this on any of their CAI setups, these two factors may have eliminated any possible whistling.

Old 03-13-2008 | 08:28 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
Yep, another "whats the best thread".
I was wondering: since this question has been coming up once a week (along with "what size pulley is best"), why not sticky a discussion for CAI input (and one of pulley size) in the same way that the exhaust info is readily available?

I know -- people will still ask, but at least then, people can just point the OP to the stickied comprehensive thread . . . I know NAM doesn't want to have a sticky for each mod, but "which is best" CAI and pulley size questions come up too often

Old 03-13-2008 | 08:32 AM
dtm
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
Yep, another "whats the best thread". If you really want whats best, you have to define the objective and application for there is no one size fits all.

I remember when I joined NAM, I didn't post for about three months because I was so busy reading.

. . . seems to defeat the purpose of a forum . . . Hoping to one day become one of the respected members of NAM so I can play with you big boys . . . well maybe not.

3 months worth of reading. Good for you - guess there is no such thing as getting your feet wet . . . without respected members drowning you.

I think I'm done with you guys enjoy your respected NAM . . . too much work for me and too old to be dealing with children again. I'd rather be driving my mini than listening to you guys on your soap boxes.

few bad apples always spoil the box.

Enjoy your "elite club"

This will be my first and last thread, Thanks to the guys that actually participated, to me in a meaningful way, to the others, learn to play nice in the sandbox boys.

C'est la vie.

Old 03-13-2008 | 08:32 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Big surprise...

someone mentioning that there's tons of information on the subject when a newbie asks for it. What is true is that there IS tons of information here on most any subject. One can debate all one wants about 1) if you should point out the obvious about repeat questions, and 2) what is the proper style to do so if the answer to one is yes.

That said, who's really surprised that there's someone will say "do a search" and that someone else will say "nice way to welcome new memeber". I actually think that both of those are a given....

Think, if no one were encouraged to ever do a search, then we'd be doomed to fill the posts with never ending re-hashes of old information. That's not good. If no one ever does any research, then we encourage laziness at the price of those who do provide information having to repeat themselved endlessly. On the other side, if one encourages search, one has to deal with the NAM search engine, and maybe alienate a few who feel that they've been slammed because they were i-slapped instead of getting an answer!

Glass half full meet half dozen of one; glass half empty, meet six of the other....

Matt

ps, I didn't say I agreed with Verves post, I just said it made me laugh... But yes, in general, I wish that more of the obvious questions were researched, and if there is missing information, that the discusiion goes on in existing threads. That keeps the information "closer to the top" and helps prevent it from being burried in tons of other repeat threads, like this one on intakes.

Old 03-13-2008 | 09:35 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Wow!

Originally Posted by dtm
. . . seems to defeat the purpose of a forum . . . Hoping to one day become one of the respected members of NAM so I can play with you big boys . . . well maybe not.

3 months worth of reading. Good for you - guess there is no such thing as getting your feet wet . . . without respected members drowning you.

I think I'm done with you guys enjoy your respected NAM . . . too much work for me and too old to be dealing with children again. I'd rather be driving my mini than listening to you guys on your soap boxes.

Enjoy your "elite club"

This will be my first and last thread, Thanks to the guys that actually participated, to me in a meaningful way, to the others, learn to play nice in the sandbox boys.

C'est la vie.
That's pretty cool. We're an elite club? Last I saw, we were a self assembled group of Mini enthusiasts that have all the personality warts of the population at large. Seem that every group is that way...

If it werent for human nature, we'd be a pretty good species!

Matt

Old 03-13-2008 | 09:39 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dtm

Enjoy your "elite club"

C'est la vie.
Clearly, you do not know what a forum is. A "forum" is a place to obtain and share information. Part of the VALUE of a Forum is its historical database of threads. Posting a question is one thing but you will only get info from those who choose to read your thread and reply. By searching you get historical participants and experiences (i.e. a lot more information).

While NAM can be at times a tough place, telling you to do a search is not drowning you out but one of education. What you put into the board you will get back and then some but it is work. BUT you pointed "out its too much work" then the board is not for you.

enjoy driving your MINI.

Old 03-13-2008 | 11:30 AM
daflake
6th Gear
A forum is a communication tool and obviously you lot feel you need to be the forum rangers. You guys can be such asses at times.

Old 03-13-2008 | 01:13 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I try to be helpfull most of the time...

but really, how many times should I have to write what the difference is between the changes the DT Bypass valve is vs the VGS mod? This is a two way street. If all the people just ask and don't search, some like me will get weary, and just give up on posting. If there are self-appointed "search *****" out there that rub a few wrong, maybe a few will get pisssed and get thier panties in a ruffle. At what point is answering what's been answered before a service to those that didn't look it up, or just dilution of the content that is here? I personally wish that things would get added to existing threads because then there would be more relavent information in one place. But with the state of the NAM search functions, it's easy to understand how many give up.

But let's keep in mind that while some of the "use the search" messages are rougher than they need to be, the other side of the coin is those that ask a question just because they couldn't be bothered to find the information that's already there. This means thier lazyiness make more work for those that give thier time to be helpfull. It really is a two edged sword.

Matt

Old 03-13-2008 | 01:24 PM
lilruffcat
6th Gear
DrObnxs... who says you have to respond? You said how many times should you have to write what the difference is between the changes.. blah blah.. The answer.. ZERO.. why? no one makes you respond.. you chose to.. Im going to ask.. what does a cai do? Yeah could search for it.. but really when I search 9 times out of 10 I really still dont know.. so in plain language.. what does a cai do and why do you want it on your car?

And if you really wanted to be helpful? You could have just left the thread alone, and moved onto where you think your needed, because clearly you weren't needed.. so much other then to start drama

Old 03-13-2008 | 01:28 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Then obviously you don't understand that you are not obliged to actually respond to every thread. So, if it bothers you that much why are you moved to type and press the reply button? The sword you speak of is really a single edge, but you are insistent in actually trying to sharpen the dull side.

As I have mentioned in other threads, not everyone that graces the forums are Elite Forum users such as yourself and don't know the intracacies of "how" to use the search.

Now, don't you have some 8 year old to bully? Sad really....

Amazing that with all that school, social skills are at an all time low for you. Tis my last post as I refuse to sink any lower in all of this.

Old 03-13-2008 | 01:35 PM
6th Gear
Most of the members that have been here for years such as Doctor O and myself get tired of answering the same questions, over and over and over again, 5-6 times a week. Sometimes we do a search for the member in need of an answer, other times we direct them to use the search function as we would need to do in order to obtain the same answer.

Questions like the one asked are so subjective it's not even worth adding our opinions because they're just that, our opinions. I could tell you I like so and so's intake, but it has no basis in fact. The truth is that only a few intakes have been actually tested, and given the fact that it's just a pipe with a filter on the end (Not rocket science here folks), they should all be within 1-2 HP of each other (That's assuming they make any power at all, some of the highest gains reported are still within the error factor of the dyno).

I'll admit that at times we all get on our high horses, but when you've spent 3 years on a forum with dozens of stickied posts (None of which ever get looked at) and the SAME questions pop up day after day, it's tough to contain the fact that you're disappointed that more people can't just take the time to READ.

We'd all react a bit differently if someone jumped on after spending an hour reading the other 500 threads that have taken place over the last year or two on this topic, and said "Guys, I did search for some information, but I'm still a little confused. Can anyone offer their OPINION on which intake they think is the best, and perhaps support that opinion with some basis in fact?. Thanks!" We'd all be a lot more receptive to this kind of stuff.

I'm sorry you feel as though we are an "Elite" club, I certainly don't feel any more elite having been a member of NAM .

Old 03-13-2008 | 01:42 PM
lilruffcat
6th Gear
But isnt it simple? Dont go to threads that you know will be repetitive and dont respond.. how hard is that to do?

Old 03-13-2008 | 01:42 PM
pmello
3rd Gear
Aw comon, I think as a team and if we all pull together, we could sink lower than THIS !!! (It's been a day and I need some cheering up).

Old 03-13-2008 | 01:45 PM
dtm
|
2nd Gear
Seems I have touched a dangling nerve . . .

I see my thread has taken on a life of it's own based on some historic unrest.

I have received many PM's that have been both friendly and enjoyable and have planted the seeds of relationship.

Thanks to everyone, and by the way, I do know how to use the search button . . . and yes it has resulted in some useful and some not so useful info.

My first post was going to be "how big is the average mini driver" . . . but I thought I'd get too many replies about the actress.

I think one of the best comments in this thread is a "sticky" on CAI and pulleys.

If nothing else comes of it this may work for all, ease the workload of the experts and save some future NAM kindergarten student like me from getting an education the hard way.

Who's for a sticky?

Old 03-13-2008 | 01:48 PM
UberFisch
3rd Gear
*kicks everyone square in the ovaries*

ANYWHOOS,

Dinan is great, love it, no bling factor, good flow, good heat resistance, decent sound. M7 is great, Alta is ok (I dont like foam filters), and I really do like the helix, both because of price, and the monster filter.

Yayy for run-on sentences!

Old 03-13-2008 | 01:54 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Ya know what?

I see this as a no win. Is there ever a volentary on-line forum that can be run such that 1) people don't start repeat threads? 2) people don't get pissed at some posts? 3) every topic stays on topic? The list is pretty much endless about how it's not possible to have a forum that keeps everyone happy. I guess it's useless to try to point that out.

No I don't NEED to post, but I try to help. No, I don't like having to repeat information, but sometimes the asked question doesn't get a good answer, or even a wrong one, and I see it as HELPFULL to correct the mis-information, even if it's just a re-hash of what has been discussed before. Maybe it's just me, but I hope that this does something to try to keep endless propogation of mis-information some what reduced, something I do to try to make this a better place.

Guess I'm just a confused idiot for trying. Oh well, I'll still choose to be proud of that.

And really, whats socially unaceptable to point out that asking for the same information again (whether I respond or someone else does is immaterial, SOMEONE is spending time that was spent before) is an imposition on the membership? What's wrong with that? I'm really baffled here. I'd learned that that was called constructive criticsm.

And the reason that I do these post (for those that can't see the obvious) is because healthy debate is aimed at creating a better environment. At least that's what I learned in school, and life. Maybe discussion of other perspectives would actually lead to some greater understanding of how others see things, maybe this broadened perspective would actually get people to think differently about how they choose to act. Maybe there's actually be an evolution in perspective. At least that's the hope. And by the responses I see here today, all I can say is it's obvoious that at least today I've failed miserably. Sorry for that.

What's really interesting is that the OP and I have had a decent off line discussion of older fords, and CAIs in general. Who knows, maybe he even found some of it helpful.

Take care,

Matt

ps, and wheter Verves post was right or wrong, his choice of phrase still makes me laugh!

Last edited by Dr Obnxs; 03-13-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-13-2008 | 01:58 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lilruffcat
DrObnxs... who says you have to respond? You said how many times should you have to write what the difference is between the changes.. blah blah.. The answer.. ZERO.. why? no one makes you respond.. you chose to.. Im going to ask.. what does a cai do? Yeah could search for it.. but really when I search 9 times out of 10 I really still dont know.. so in plain language.. what does a cai do and why do you want it on your car?

And if you really wanted to be helpful? You could have just left the thread alone, and moved onto where you think your needed, because clearly you weren't needed.. so much other then to start drama
Part of it is the fact that search sucks on NAM, part of it is the fact that people don't know how to use search engines (Typing how does a CAI work is going to search for "How","Does", "CAI", and "Work" anywhere in the thread, and bring it up as a result. The best way to search is to use quotes, or to search titles only).

You're right, we don't have to post, but just because I don't have to post doesn't mean it's not annoying to see my own threads at the bottom of the page because 19 people had asked back to back what kind of gas they should use in their car (Something that doesn't even require a forum response, it's IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL!!! )

Plus sometimes I look in threads that after 3 hours haven't gotten a response (Often because it's one of the 4-5 dreaded questions that pop up daily), and I think to perhaps MENTION that he can use search to find his answer (And I'm usually instantly attacked by 5 welcome ****'s that are ticked off that I had the audacity to ask a new member if they were familiar with the search function).

This thread is already off topic enough, why don't we all stop arguing and just move on? .

Old 03-13-2008 | 02:00 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Nope...

Originally Posted by rustyboy155
This thread is already off topic enough, why don't we all stop arguing and just move on? .
If we did that, what would we all do with all the free time?

Matt

Old 03-13-2008 | 02:32 PM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear

Matt
Originally Posted by dtm
Man . . . you have way too much time on your hands . . . go for a jog or something to work off that angst . . .

Dr. and Rusty covered my thoughts on posting and new threads. Really helps the signal to noise ratio. There's a reason my post total is reasonably low for the time I've been here...damn near everything I've wondered has been answered already in a prior thread.

- Matt

Old 03-13-2008 | 02:44 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
There is nothing new to learn....

, uh post. Oh that was from Philosophy class. And has already been covered in other threads!

Matt

Old 03-13-2008 | 02:59 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by eager2own
Here's my prediction (yes, I'm being a smarty pants):

"I like the ALTA"
"+1"
"Use the search function"
"I have the ALTA and love it too"
"I've been very happy with the DDM"
"They're all the same - buy the one you like"
"JCW is the quietest"
"Remove the flap "
"I made my own"
"+1 for DDM . . . I had Alta and switched"
"I love the sound of my Alta"
"Will this void my warranty?"
"Check out the Voltage!"
"Wow, that looks awesome"
"Should I get the 15, 17, or 19 percent pulley? will it void my warranty"
+1

My input:

I got a Madness one free. That made it the best.

Old 03-13-2008 | 05:27 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
+1

My input:

I got a Madness one free. That made it the best.
I'm on my 4th intake, and I can assure you, they're all the same .

Old 03-13-2008 | 05:28 PM
6th Gear

Matt
Calisthenics! (sp?)

Quick Reply: Drivetrain CAI - who's best?