Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain CAI - who's best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008 | 05:32 PM
dtm
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
I'm on my 4th intake, and I can assure you, they're all the same .

how come so many . . .?

Old 03-13-2008 | 05:51 PM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dtm
how come so many . . .?
Each vendor attempting to get a slice of the pie.

Think about the variety of many similar consumer items.

- Matt

Old 03-13-2008 | 05:55 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dtm
how come so many . . .?
Because I like many started out my modding career ill informed, bending to the will of the vendor with a "Great new product!". Over the years I learned to trust the judgement of those that have already been down that path, rather than just buying something every time it looks like something new is getting popular. Granted, i'm on my second MINI, but still, 4 CAI's is rather nuts.

Trust me, they all get within 1-2 HP of each other. Other than you're paying for looks .

Old 03-13-2008 | 06:13 PM
WeShort2
1st Gear
it's kinda refreshing to see this kind of banter takes place at all kinds of forums. means the internet is full of humans.

i'm a moderator at a couple of car audio forums, where the average age is about 18 years my junior (i'm 36), and they think this kind of "debate" is isolated to that age group. i also frequent smith & wessonforum.com as well as coltforum (yet another expensive hobby) where the age group is about 18 years my senior, and yet it still happens. albeit less often.

i guess what i'v learned is that no matter what forum, what age group or what the forum is for, two things really stand out. one, no forum has a search engine worth having and that makes the second thing common. telling the no0bs to use search. most no0bs will in fact try the search and find it lacks in what they are after. a few will then (this is where i fit in) will then proceed to read back a few pages trying to get some info and then lastly, will ask the question that has been asked 16 thousand times. and guess what? i've noticed two other things that happen. either someone jumps in with info (even if it's been repeated by that same person 16 thousand times) or someone chimes in that the OP needs to use search. go figure, lol.

two truths have come out of this thread. one is that noone has to read or post in anyone else's thread. so if you don't like the repetitive question, move on. second truth is the sticky. i just got done with the exhaust sticky and enjoyed it. why not have one of the vendors post info on CAI and pulleys. even if there is no test data, at least there will be a single thread detailing the basics.

ok, enough of my soapbox. though i'm interested in a CAI, i think i'll go dig some more, lol.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 03-13-2008 | 08:09 PM
RussellCory
5th Gear
So, DTM, how's this can of worms working out for you?

Don't let people scare you off, there is an amazing wealth of knowledge here
and it's a really supportive community. Provided you don't talk about CAI or pulley options…

Anyway, welcome to the community.

Whatever intake you decide to go with, take some pictures, post em & tell us all about how much you love it.

Old 03-13-2008 | 09:14 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RussellCory

and it's a really supportive community. Provided you don't talk about CAI or pulley options…

Whatever intake you decide to go with, take some pictures, post em & tell us all about how much you love it.
Or whether you can use 87 octane in your car .

Old 03-13-2008 | 10:06 PM
minimyke
2nd Gear
Price..

Off subject but half this thread is lol..I just recently purchased a K&N Typhoon intake on Ebay for $189 shipped..You can find these and the AFE's all day on ebay for at least $80 below MSRP..I recieved mine NIB and love it..Somethin to consider if your on a budget.

MyKE

Old 03-14-2008 | 06:06 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Because I like many started out my modding career ill informed, bending to the will of the vendor with a "Great new product!". Over the years I learned to trust the judgement of those that have already been down that path, rather than just buying something every time it looks like something new is getting popular.

I too have made some poor decisions.

A reason why some "suggest" doing a search. The search function while perhaps not the best gets you input from members who a) didn't see the thread, b) saw the thread and opted not to respond and c) no longer active.

Why one would just want to limit themselves to information from people who saw the thread and decided to post and not help themselves to information from the above a, b, and c people is the same as "bending to the will" of just those who decided to respond to the thread. You don't get a complete picture.

When someone "suggests" doing a search it is not that they are not trying to be helpful but the opposite. Rather than tell you this is the best, they are telling you that there is quality data available for you to read so you can make up your own mind which is best for you.

Old 03-14-2008 | 09:11 AM
dtm
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RussellCory

It's been great . . . the behind the scenes PM's have had great value in building relationships and connections . . . I have also spoken to many vendors which in conjunction with the forum allows for an informed decision and the ability to ask the right questions . . . like "why does your system use the stock inlet hose?"

. . . because the air flow works and the hose flexes and doesn't seperate at the connection point. Apparently most of the silicone hoses are too rigid . . .

I actually do a lot of reserach before I buy anything . . . This was (I thought) a simple post to learn about a simple MOD . . . I didn't realize I would open Pandoras Air Box . . . but . . . do have an understanding now of the frustration for NAM long time members . . . BUT . . . disgagree with some of the techniques for expressing their frustration . . . VERVE . . . but everybody has their own way of expressing their POV.

Anyways, I have ordered a 15% pulley and a NGK plugs. So looking forward to that as the first of many steps.

Old 03-14-2008 | 09:41 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dtm

Anyways, I have ordered a 15% pulley and a NGK plugs. So looking forward to that as the first of many steps.
Yeah, but did you get the RIGHT 15% pulley

Old 03-14-2008 | 09:51 AM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gnatster
Not unless it's Palo Uber.

- Matt

Old 03-14-2008 | 09:56 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
This thread fails to deliver.

Old 03-14-2008 | 10:19 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Old 03-14-2008 | 11:51 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by minimusprime
When you poop rainbows, it's easy to perceive that other things fail to deliver.

Old 03-14-2008 | 05:01 PM
dtm
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gnatster
enjoyed that . . .

Old 03-14-2008 | 05:02 PM
dtm
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minimusprime
ya think?

Old 03-14-2008 | 05:04 PM
dtm
|
2nd Gear
Because I like many started out my modding career ill informed, bending to the will of the vendor with a "Great new product!". Over the years I learned to trust the judgement of those that have already been down that path, rather than just buying something every time it looks like something new is getting popular. Granted, i'm on my second MINI, but still, 4 CAI's is rather nuts.

Trust me, they all get within 1-2 HP of each other. Other than you're paying for looks .

which ones did you discard - and why?

Old 03-14-2008 | 05:35 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
There's a thread...

(yeah, you'll have to search on it) that discusses the pros and cons of some of the intakes. A bunch of people went about insulating intakes and the like to try to get them such that no heat leaked in from the engine compartment. What it comes down to is that the metal ones leak a bit of heat. The ones without tops can leak in a bit of air from the engine compartment, and then there's the filter choice. Some other data I've seen also shows that how the air gets to the filter can make a difference too.... But it's pretty hard to quantify. That's why so many are hot on the JCW and the Dinan (and now the Voltage, I guess) but there are lots of people who are pretty happy with the others as well.

In all the time I've been here, I've never seen a good data set that really objectively measures the benefits of one vs the other. And as many say, it's probably all within measurement error. But that too is just a guess.

Matt

Old 03-14-2008 | 06:43 PM
MidnightDave
5th Gear
I went with Helix b/c that's what Dan at GrassRoots Garage happened to have when I showed up one day for a boost guage and said, "I want one of those CAI thingees, too." ;-)

He put an M7 pulley on Wed b/c, you guessed it, he's an M7 dealer, too now!

I bought the Invidia exhaust myself b/c I liked the titanium tips and sound of it, even though Dan sold other brands, (of course he installed it, I can't turn a wrench).

The point is some mod's matter more to some than others.

I wouldn't let him pick out my Wet Okoles, the wifey did that and I'm now motoring around with Hibiscus front seats, (did the Schrader Rear Seat Delete), maybe I should have let him pick? ;-)

As for newbies, lazy people and search buttons, there's a certain passion and excitement to asking the question yourself, about your car, and your intended mod than just reading the compendium of good info that's already out there. I'm telling everybody how great it is to have a pulley and the quality of M7's machine work--well, duh. I know, but I still want to share this news as if it's new, b/c...it's new to me!

Finally, Dr. O is a good guy, and and a wealth of knowledge. Don't know him personally, just observed he's like the kind and knowledgeable professor with a perpetual barrage of questions from a bevy of new students who occassionally just has to go to his office and close the door, leaving them baffled and upset in the hallway. (Runonsentencesrule!)

Old 03-14-2008 | 06:49 PM
dtm
|
2nd Gear
[quote=Dr Obnxs;2097515](yeah, you'll have to search on it)

You think I'd learn . . .

Old 03-14-2008 | 07:37 PM
RussellCory
5th Gear
Originally Posted by verveAbsolut
Not unless it's Palo Uber.

- Matt
That made me laugh.

Old 03-15-2008 | 06:31 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
(yeah, you'll have to search on it) that discusses the pros and cons of some of the intakes. A bunch of people went about insulating intakes and the like to try to get them such that no heat leaked in from the engine compartment. What it comes down to is that the metal ones leak a bit of heat. The ones without tops can leak in a bit of air from the engine compartment, and then there's the filter choice. Some other data I've seen also shows that how the air gets to the filter can make a difference too.... But it's pretty hard to quantify. That's why so many are hot on the JCW and the Dinan (and now the Voltage, I guess) but there are lots of people who are pretty happy with the others as well.

In all the time I've been here, I've never seen a good data set that really objectively measures the benefits of one vs the other. And as many say, it's probably all within measurement error. But that too is just a guess.

Matt
To me the short of it - is getting more air. Primarily accomplished via more aggressive filter and access to more air. Opening up the back appears to be a standard so its filter choice. The big debate then being do I go paper or foam.

BOX CHOICE - no doubt different materials heat soak differently however I question if it makes much or enough to drive the CAI decision. I ran an open box, then added lid, then insulated the box (its metal) and no noticeable difference via butt or dyno.

You mention the Voltage which is getting some attention. The hot ticket being the custom paint job. Any metal box can be painted as well. The filter is smallish to accommodate the velocity stack and since its one piece, you have to remove the entire CAI to get to the filter.

For me the CAI decision should focus around FILTER choice.

Old 03-15-2008 | 08:54 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
If only there were a data set

that would settle it for once and for all...

Matt

Old 03-15-2008 | 09:51 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
that would settle it for once and for all...

Matt
Matt, I'm shocked and dismayed! Given the external variables (driving conditions, temp, humidity, etc.) even a rigorous data set wouldn't 'settle' anything. Geez, do a search.

Old 03-15-2008 | 10:41 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Ha ha...

but it doesn't take much time to change an intake. I did a test between a HAI and stock and found power to be identical. But all the shoot outs have been with questionable methods, at best.... Searching just yeilds crappy data...

Matt

Quick Reply: Drivetrain CAI - who's best?