Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Forge intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Mini-Louis
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forge intake

Just wondered if any one has tested the forge intake? And got any dyno results for it?

I can get this £60 cheaper than the Alta CIA and wondering what power differences there are. I know forge still uses the stock induction pipe and Alta's doesnt.

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/con...roduct=FMIND05

Old 03-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This guy has it. No dyno results though, and he added it at the same time as the Forge intercooler, so no real word on performance gains either... Sure looks good.
First I've seen of it here on NAM.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:56 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Mini-Louis
Just wondered if any one has tested the forge intake? And got any dyno results for it?

I can get this £60 cheaper than the Alta CIA and wondering what power differences there are. I know forge still uses the stock induction pipe and Alta's doesnt.

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/con...roduct=FMIND05
Hey not at all trying to criticize the comment above, BUT the ALTA does use the fresh air tube from the factory and connects it into the back of our air box.

My only concern (from a consumer position not a mfr.) is that the filter in this box is either VERY small (which would clog rapidly) and/or would be so crammed in the shroud area as it would also limit the amount of air flow to the engine.

The concept of keeping the filter area isolated is sound and I agree with it, but the execution in this case falls short.

Just my two cents! Please take it for that!

Old 03-19-2008, 10:31 AM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
^ I also, like the look and concept of the Forge, but have to agree with Alta that the filter does look quite small(in the Forge website)...but on diablito's car, it looks fine...

Old 03-19-2008, 05:27 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
i like my alta but the forge sure is pretty

Old 08-04-2008, 11:23 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ChrisMCS04
^ I also, like the look and concept of the Forge, but have to agree with Alta that the filter does look quite small(in the Forge website)...but on diablito's car, it looks fine...
maybe it was an early version?

the one on diablito's car looks really big!

the alta filter is just an open air filter to my understanding? how is it sucking 'cool' air? from the hoodscoop?

Old 08-04-2008, 04:04 PM
NZ_M3
2nd Gear
I have this intake .... seat of pants tells me that there's some gains up top and definitely everywhere in between.

Design wise it is very good, I wouldn't worry about the filter area, as more filter doesn't = more power - in fact you could be losing a bit of low end torque with too large of an airbox.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:40 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by William Blake
maybe it was an early version?

the one on diablito's car looks really big!

the alta filter is just an open air filter to my understanding? how is it sucking 'cool' air? from the hoodscoop?
Not exactly. Air is drawn not only over but also from the bottom and sides of the engine to the filter area. Our testing shows significant improvement with it in this scenario. Heat has not been a factor in hindering these results.

Hope that helps! Let me know if I can ever help further!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:48 PM
diablito
5th Gear
I been using the Forge intake for a couple of thousand miles, no problem with the smaller than Alta filter story...My MINI runs fine, looks really neat and clean and the Carbon Fiber looks tops.

Name:  IMG_0008.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  59.7 KB

Old 08-04-2008, 09:54 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Hey has anyone done back to back testing on this yet? We keep theorizing that the ALTA will or won't based on filter locations, and the Forge will or won't outperform based on the filter etc. etc.

Proof is in the pudding. I don't see Bill Cosby anywhere nearby!

My point is also that if you like the looks of the Forge GREAT, if you like the looks of the ALTA GREAT, but it seems likely that only one will perform better and not the same.

I am NOT trying to poke the bear, just commenting!

Old 08-05-2008, 12:26 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Not exactly. Air is drawn not only over but also from the bottom and sides of the engine to the filter area. Our testing shows significant improvement with it in this scenario. Heat has not been a factor in hindering these results.

Hope that helps! Let me know if I can ever help further!
Do you still use the stock intake piping?

Old 08-05-2008, 05:30 AM
diablito
5th Gear
Hey has anyone done back to back testing on this yet? We keep theorizing that the ALTA will or won't based on filter locations, and the Forge will or won't outperform based on the filter etc. etc.

Proof is in the pudding. I don't see Bill Cosby anywhere nearby!

My point is also that if you like the looks of the Forge GREAT, if you like the looks of the ALTA GREAT, but it seems likely that only one will perform better and not the same.

I am NOT trying to poke the bear, just commenting!
Adam...Your product looks great too, nice and red with the big logo which is super cool and all, I just think you should be the one doing the testing, I am sure Forge or Alta will be a good choice, I was promise by a friend an Alta intake, I was going to put it on Zero7 for a month with a clean foam filter on and use the Forge for month also, not at the same time :-) but never got it, and I'll be silly to go and just buy one for test as a consumer, but you can. Go for it..

Old 08-05-2008, 07:25 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
I find it hard to understand how the ALTA unit is 'better' than the Forge.. the latter has more experience in racing and is a big name in the UK en rest of Europe.

I'm not saying the ALTA unit is bad, but I know a few guys who have them and yes it does sound good (it's an open filter..) but performancewise nothing has changed..

The Forge unit is a true cold air intake, everything is pressurized and sealed whilst the ALTA has an open system (better sound) but it sucks in more hot air I think. The Forge unit on their website looks like an early version or so because their latest version is pretty substanstial!

Look:

K&N filter inside?

Please correct me if I'm wrong..

On a side note: I genuinely like ALTA they have very nice stuff!

Greetings,

WB

Old 08-05-2008, 07:26 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Do you still use the stock intake piping?
Yes. The fresh air tube is still feeding air directly under the ALTA filter. Hope that helps!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:27 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by diablito
Adam...Your product looks great too, nice and red with the big logo which is super cool and all, I just think you should be the one doing the testing, I am sure Forge or Alta will be a good choice, I was promise by a friend an Alta intake, I was going to put it on Zero7 for a month with a clean foam filter on and use the Forge for month also, not at the same time :-) but never got it, and I'll be silly to go and just buy one for test as a consumer, but you can. Go for it..
Yeah I might just have to buy one to test. I know we will be -UN-BIASED in our results, but I am not 100% the NAM public would agree. I will discuss with Jeff.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:31 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
Yes. The fresh air tube is still feeding air directly under the ALTA filter. Hope that helps!
It does! Thanks!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:32 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
I find it hard to understand how the ALTA unit is 'better' than the Forge.. the latter has more experience in racing and is a big name in the UK en rest of Europe.

I'm not saying the ALTA unit is bad, but I know a few guys who have them and yes it does sound good (it's an open filter..) but performancewise nothing has changed..

The Forge unit is a true cold air intake, everything is pressurized and sealed whilst the ALTA has an open system (better sound) but it sucks in more hot air I think. The Forge unit on their website looks like an early version or so because their latest version is pretty substanstial!

Look:

K&N filter inside?

Please correct me if I'm wrong..

On a side note: I genuinely like ALTA they have very nice stuff!

Greetings,

WB
I know you aren't being pokey and I didn't take it that way at all.

Your photos do show what MAY be a potential problem. That small surface area for the wind to be pulled through. It also may NOT be an issue, but the dyno would tell for sure.

Plus if in the US models, if there was actual pressure in the intake as you elude to above the cars would throw check lights almost immediately as the MAF sensor would FREAK out seeing pressure at that point in the system. So I doubt highly 1) how there would be pressure as there is nothing to pressurize, and 2) diablito for one has not had that issue with his.

The hoses etc. that bring and isolate fresh air from the outside to the filter can be a restriction in and of themselves. Image trying to pull air into your mouth (and PULL is correct as the turbo is sucking in air, vs. a N/A motor relying on vacuum) through a drinking straw and running a marathon. Not pretty! VS. using a large funnel to pull air in from on the same athletic event.

Again, this is speculation, but the physics of the two systems would show the ALTA MAY produce more than the Forge.

BTW: ALTA and our other company PERRIN have participated in motorsports for years. Most recently the RockStar Rally team uses ALL PERRIN turbo, intercoolers, intakes and tuning on their cars!

Chat soon!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:35 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
Alright thank you so much for your great reply!

Old 08-06-2008, 08:29 PM
diablito
5th Gear
So I doubt highly 1) how there would be pressure as there is nothing to pressurize, and 2) diablito for one has not had that issue with his.
What are you saying, I am laying?

Since I got my FORGE Intake, FORGE inter cooler and M7 tube, I have NEVER EVER had a check Engine light, as a matter of fact when Morengo send me my beautiful crafted down pipe made by MILTEK to match my full system, I was afraid I would have an engine light as told by a USA Miltek vendor, But again no check engine lights, my MINI runs strong and since I put it all together I have not clean my filter yet as I was expecting to do.

I choose FORGE for looks and the fact that as william blake said they are in the biz for a long time, I just liked carbon fiber better...

I am sure ALTA makes a great product but before you make any comments about what or how or doubting people, if you like to claim to be better then I am sure a couple of hundred bucks invested in the competition to come up with real claims is not that bad...

I am a Motoring Advisor or the "sales dude" ...and I do take the time to go to other dealers here in S.FL and check on the competition.

Now if you like to send me an ALTA intake I will be glad to put it on my MINI and tell EVERYONE with pictures that your product is better, I will even pay to dyno my MINI with both intakes, not at the same time and I will be glad to buy it if its better then my current set up and if not I be glad to pay for the return slip.

I'll be un biased to.... LOL

Old 08-06-2008, 09:48 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by diablito
What are you saying, I am laying?

Since I got my FORGE Intake, FORGE inter cooler and M7 tube, I have NEVER EVER had a check Engine light, as a matter of fact when Morengo send me my beautiful crafted down pipe made by MILTEK to match my full system, I was afraid I would have an engine light as told by a USA Miltek vendor, But again no check engine lights, my MINI runs strong and since I put it all together I have not clean my filter yet as I was expecting to do.

I choose FORGE for looks and the fact that as william blake said they are in the biz for a long time, I just liked carbon fiber better...

I am sure ALTA makes a great product but before you make any comments about what or how or doubting people, if you like to claim to be better then I am sure a couple of hundred bucks invested in the competition to come up with real claims is not that bad...

I am a Motoring Advisor or the "sales dude" ...and I do take the time to go to other dealers here in S.FL and check on the competition.

Now if you like to send me an ALTA intake I will be glad to put it on my MINI and tell EVERYONE with pictures that your product is better, I will even pay to dyno my MINI with both intakes, not at the same time and I will be glad to buy it if its better then my current set up and if not I be glad to pay for the return slip.

I'll be un biased to.... LOL
DUDE!

You read me ALL wrong! I am saying that it CAN'T be pressurizing the air as there isn't anything to actually do that with this intake. No fans, superchargers etc. AND, if it did YOU would have CEL's. Which I AGREE you DON'T!

Not at ALL saying you are lying! Couldn't be farther from the truth.

I am TRYING to say is I would like to see a real test of both systems. I (ALTA) might lose! My point is lets find out.

In MANY cases we choose things based on a variety of factors, looks, brand name, performance, construction, price etc. etc. I think your kit looks great! Even if it didn't make a BIT of HP over stock, the looks alone might justify the purchase. So I am not knocking you in any way shape or form!

Just want to see the results of a dyno test. Independent would be even better!

If we are missing each other online, PLEASE ring me up! Happy to chat!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:12 PM
diablito
5th Gear
DUDE!

You read me ALL wrong! I am saying that it CAN'T be pressurizing the air as there isn't anything to actually do that with this intake. No fans, superchargers etc. AND, if it did YOU would have CEL's. Which I AGREE you DON'T!

Not at ALL saying you are lying! Couldn't be farther from the truth.

I am TRYING to say is I would like to see a real test of both systems. I (ALTA) might lose! My point is lets find out.

In MANY cases we choose things based on a variety of factors, looks, brand name, performance, construction, price etc. etc. I think your kit looks great! Even if it didn't make a BIT of HP over stock, the looks alone might justify the purchase. So I am not knocking you in any way shape or form!

Just want to see the results of a dyno test. Independent would be even better!

If we are missing each other online, PLEASE ring me up! Happy to chat!

ahhhh!! I understood you wrong.

But you are right will be nice to test products and compare so we can see for sure if there is HP gains or just noise...Be hard to tell, as I put the inter cooler at the same time...But there was a difference in power gain in my case and not too much noise, But I have a FORGE Bov so I do have the PSSST!.. Sound when I press the clutch. I had to get used to, now I like it.

Is all good, and you are right The FORGE intake looks trick and looks alone make it worth it...

Thank you.

PS. still I will be happy to put ALTA product on my MINI anytime.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:25 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
I guess this is the right topic to ask..

How is it getting fresh, cold air? As far as I can see it is surrounded by 'hot' components.. or through the hoodscoop? I thought that was to cool down the turbo...? (later models got the little holes in it)

Please explain because I like the foam filter idea.. flows almost as good dirty as it is when clean.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:13 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
I guess this is the right topic to ask..

How is it getting fresh, cold air? As far as I can see it is surrounded by 'hot' components.. or through the hoodscoop? I thought that was to cool down the turbo...? (later models got the little holes in it)

Please explain because I like the foam filter idea.. flows almost as good dirty as it is when clean.
Good question! The fresh air tube designed by MINI that brings air from the driverside headlamp to the filter is still in place directly behind the ALTA filter. Plus the air flow over and across the engine bay is also feeding it. Finally, air is also drawn up and around the engine as the car is moving along. Keep in mind this is the COOLEST section of the engine bay as all of the hot exhaust and turbo components are mounted up front, and then ran underneath.

I agree that we were surprised that the air temps were as cool as they were in that location, hood closed, etc. But ALTA2 may be able to provid more specifics. But again, the dyno doesn't lie!

Thanks for asking!

Old 08-08-2008, 11:39 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
Thanks for your effort to make a good response!

I will order the ALTA CAI I think.

Small question maybe.. with the hoodscoop opened.. what happens when it rains? (yes, I know it's a stupid question )

EDIT: I read somewhere that ALTA is working on a fully sealed airbox? Is this true?

Last edited by William Blake; 08-08-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:25 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
Thanks for your effort to make a good response!

I will order the ALTA CAI I think.

Small question maybe.. with the hoodscoop opened.. what happens when it rains? (yes, I know it's a stupid question )

EDIT: I read somewhere that ALTA is working on a fully sealed airbox? Is this true?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Forge intake