Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Powerflex Bushings Break-In Time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:35 PM
brianbreeze
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powerflex Bushings Break-In Time?

I have just had my engine bushings and transmission bushing replaced with Powerflex bushings and was wondering if they will soften-up at all?

Old 03-18-2008, 10:19 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brianbreeze
I have just had my engine bushings and transmission bushing replaced with Powerflex bushings and was wondering if they will soften-up at all?

All bushings will soften over time, but the powerflex bushings will last 2-3x as long as OEM bushings.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:25 AM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You are pretty much stuck with them as they are.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:16 AM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OldRick
You are pretty much stuck with them as they are.
I thought you were asking how long they'd last before they started to feel slushy again.

Bushings have no break in time. The stiffness is the same when they're installed as it will be a month later. If it's too stiff, unfortunately the only way around that is to swap it out for stockers again .

Old 03-19-2008, 09:32 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Would anyone know if between the mfg's out there if one brand is softer than another?
Thanks, Steve

Old 03-19-2008, 01:50 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by THE ITCH
Would anyone know if between the mfg's out there if one brand is softer than another?
Thanks, Steve
Which brands are you comparing? I have the powerflex, they're noticeably stiffer than stock, I have nothing else to compare it to.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:09 PM
AstroBlackS
5th Gear
I also have the powerflex. Love them! I wish I could find a Solid Poly bushing to replace the factory one, instead of just the inserts.

Hmmmm...Maybe I should just weld the motor in place.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:16 PM
brianbreeze
1st Gear
Thanks for your replies. The Powerflex bushings are really noticeable at the 1100 rpm mark, and I was wondering if this would decrease over time? Sounds like it will not.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:08 PM
6th Gear
Thanks for your replies. The Powerflex bushings are really noticeable at the 1100 rpm mark, and I was wondering if this would decrease over time? Sounds like it will not.
Over time everything will decrease (any bushing will wear). Your question seems to be whether over the next few weeks the bushings will "Break In" and get softer. The answer to that question is no most likely it will not. I actually wish I had a way to make the mounts stiffer. I find the powerflex bushings to be lacking when driving the car at 100%. I hate the driveline lash on these cars. I've got all my engine mounts replaced and an engine damper on top of it!

Old 03-20-2008, 05:14 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
rustyboy
I have no idea how many brands are out there and I realize that this is a tough question. Thought I would take a shot that possibly someone had experience with more than one brand. I know that Madness makes one along with several others. My car is used primarily for street and I would like to keep NVH to a minimium. I have not had the pleasure of riding in someone's car that has the bushings installed so I really don't know the severity. I am thinking that I will just do the dogbone ones at some point to see for myself. I have just installed some braces and want to get an idea how that goes first before doing anything else. Today is the first day of spring and the snow should be gone soon .
Steve

Originally Posted by rustyboy155
Which brands are you comparing? I have the powerflex, they're noticeably stiffer than stock, I have nothing else to compare it to.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:24 AM
AstroBlackS
5th Gear
I actually wish I had a way to make the mounts stiffer. I find the powerflex bushings to be lacking when driving the car at 100%. I hate the driveline lash on these cars. I've got all my engine mounts replaced and an engine damper on top of it!
+1!

I'm looking into the VIP damper, but I'd prefer it to be either a solid piece of metal, or with poly bushings. I want my engine to be completely still!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:59 AM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AstroBlackS
+1!

I'm looking into the VIP damper, but I'd prefer it to be either a solid piece of metal, or with poly bushings. I want my engine to be completely still!
Some drivetrain movement is desired to minimize damage to the frame of the car during hard acceleration. Stock though, there's WAY too much movement. The car would also vibrate quite a bit if it was mounted on solid mounts.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:00 AM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by THE ITCH
rustyboy
I have no idea how many brands are out there and I realize that this is a tough question. Thought I would take a shot that possibly someone had experience with more than one brand. I know that Madness makes one along with several others. My car is used primarily for street and I would like to keep NVH to a minimium. I have not had the pleasure of riding in someone's car that has the bushings installed so I really don't know the severity. I am thinking that I will just do the dogbone ones at some point to see for myself. I have just installed some braces and want to get an idea how that goes first before doing anything else. Today is the first day of spring and the snow should be gone soon .
Steve
Yea, I only have experience with the powerflex. My understanding is that the other bushings (more expensive) follow the 1% better = 200% more philosophy. These work fine for me right now, when they start getting soft i'll think about something that really ties the engine down

Old 03-20-2008, 07:15 PM
brianbreeze
1st Gear
Your question seems to be whether over the next few weeks the bushings will "Break In" and get softer.
Yes, that is what I was unable to put into words.

Since I commute with my Mini I am going to give it some time to see if can adjust my driving style.

Which bushings contribute to the "firmness" the most? (It seems like it would be the large upper mounts on the passenger side and the large mounts under the air intake on the drivers side). If this is true would it cause any long term damage to switch these back to stock while keeping all of the other Powerflex bushings in place? I have also had the transmission mount replaced.

Just trying to see what my options would be regarding the 1100rpm rattle that I have, and whether or not it would go away replacing the large mounts with stock ones?

Old 03-20-2008, 09:38 PM
6th Gear
Yes, that is what I was unable to put into words.

Since I commute with my Mini I am going to give it some time to see if can adjust my driving style.

Which bushings contribute to the "firmness" the most? (It seems like it would be the large upper mounts on the passenger side and the large mounts under the air intake on the drivers side). If this is true would it cause any long term damage to switch these back to stock while keeping all of the other Powerflex bushings in place? I have also had the transmission mount replaced.

Just trying to see what my options would be regarding the 1100rpm rattle that I have, and whether or not it would go away replacing the large mounts with stock ones?
The main engine mount that's replaced I would think would have the most impact. There's an engine mount that allows the engine to "Swing" on it's transverse axis, this is the mount you'd want to put back to stock.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:48 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Actually, you would like to keep the lower "torque mount" bushing firm, while going back to stock on the tranny and upper motor mounts.

That would keep the engine fore-and-aft rocking motion down to a minimum, while still floating the engine on the main motor mounts and isolating most vibration, and leaves the car feeling controlled, but civilized.

Using all urethane bushings is for the track, not the street...

Old 03-20-2008, 10:40 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OldRick
Actually, you would like to keep the lower "torque mount" bushing firm, while going back to stock on the tranny and upper motor mounts.

That would keep the engine fore-and-aft rocking motion down to a minimum, while still floating the engine on the main motor mounts and isolating most vibration, and leaves the car feeling controlled, but civilized.

Using all urethane bushings is for the track, not the street...
You're right, sorry, I'm not thinking. Yes, the torque mount should be stiff, while the others are softer allowing the engine to "Vibrate" on it's mounts. I don't notice any vibration at all with mine, strange. Then again I used to own an E36 M3 that felt like a tractor at idle . Maybe I'm just used to it

Old 03-21-2008, 05:44 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I've had Ireland poly inserts on two MINI's now. The first one I just did the upper two mounts, and there was noticeable added vibration. My current '02 has all three inserts and has similar added NVH, so I would agree that stiffening the torque link would help curb excessive rocking and keeping the upper two stock will minimize vibration transmitted to the chassis.