Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Any special info for a cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:27 AM
totamdu
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any special info for a cam swap

I am upgrading from my stock cam later this week. First I wanted to check here and see if there is anything tricky about it.

I know the cam timing gear bolt is on there super hard, I'll problably make the tool for it or just try to monkey it off when the car is on the ground in gear.

Do I have to release the timing chain tensioner? I read it's a pain.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Trickle X
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i use an impact gun on the bolt, always works. Nothing really tricky about swapping the cam. Just make sure you take notice which way the cam is facing before you take it out as you need to put it in the same way. i just use the dowl pin as reference from the cam sprocket. It can only go on one way(cam sprocket that is). As for the rockers, you just need to make sure you line them back up correctly and make sure the hydraulic lifters are not crooked.

pretty easy job, just take your time and double check everything.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:53 AM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I like to mark the cam sprocket and chain for indexing purposes. Nothing like getting the cam to crank timing off and bending all of your valves. I use white out and just mark the chain and sprocket so I can put it back on on the same tooth that it was on previously. You can take bar, screwdriver or what ever and put it through the chain to keep it from falling in the timing cover, but it's no big deal unless you spin the motor over, which you don't want to do. The tensioner piston can be locked into place without removal. You can look down and see it and push it back with a prybar and it will lock. Also, on a performance cam, make sure there is no interferance from the spark plug tubes. If so you may have to "adjust" them.

Chad

Old 03-24-2008, 11:30 AM
totamdu
3rd Gear
Awsome thanks guys.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:08 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Totamdu,

What camshaft are you going to install? I've got an Ultrik cam sitting idle here that's itching to go on. At least my summer wheels/tires are on now that it's spring! Good luck with your install!

Jeremy

Old 03-24-2008, 06:14 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A word of caution about using white out, it can rub off while pulling the chain from the sprocket (oh what a sinking feeling that is). I also scratch an indexing mark on the sprocket and chain. Another thing to consider, there have been a few rare instances of cam chain tensioner plunger failures when reused; it’s not an expensive part and it may be prudent to replace it.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:11 AM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Originally Posted by k-huevo
A word of caution about using white out, it can rub off while pulling the chain from the sprocket (oh what a sinking feeling that is). I also scratch an indexing mark on the sprocket and chain. Another thing to consider, there have been a few rare instances of cam chain tensioner plunger failures when reused; it’s not an expensive part and it may be prudent to replace it.

I hear ya there...I like to wipe the chain/sprocket with brake cleaner and a rag before hand.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Trickle X
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is a timing mark already from factory...one of the links is discolored, you match that up to the indicator on the sprocket and no worries about marking anything except cam positioning. There is also two other marks on the chain for timing on the crank, but that isnt neccessary in this app.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Jaw_F430
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chadtoolio
I like to mark the cam sprocket and chain for indexing purposes. Nothing like getting the cam to crank timing off and bending all of your valves. I use white out and just mark the chain and sprocket so I can put it back on on the same tooth that it was on previously. You can take bar, screwdriver or what ever and put it through the chain to keep it from falling in the timing cover, but it's no big deal unless you spin the motor over, which you don't want to do. The tensioner piston can be locked into place without removal. You can look down and see it and push it back with a prybar and it will lock. Also, on a performance cam, make sure there is no interferance from the spark plug tubes. If so you may have to "adjust" them.

Chad

When you push the tensioner back to lock it how does it put the tension back on when you refit the chain?Does it automatically retension?

James

Old 03-28-2008, 02:59 PM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
like someone else said, in between the oil pressure pushing it out and the guide that pushes on it, it pops right out... The simple answer is yes.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Thumper460
4th Gear
It really is easy! I made a tool for holding the cam gear, the chain wont come off the lower gear, so if you drop it... your not screwed. I like the others mark the chain/ gear with white out.. then I hange the chain with a bungie cord to keep it out of the way and snug.. then just line up the marks I put on the chain and gear.. and it rocks!!

I tried to do it W/O pulling the tensionar.. but, it is EASYER than it looks to pull it.

Have fun... and cool for doing it yourself!!

Just me...............................

Thumper